First Visit to Disneyland

baseballgal

Mouseketeer
I am planning my family's first trip to Disneyland and we will be there Spring Break 2019. I know it will be a busy time but it is the only time we can go. We are committed to that week (first week of April) and will go to the parks Mon-Thursday with a 4 day park hopper. Monday and Tuesday will be full days but Wed and Thurs will be half days.
I have started planning now because I know my job will be super busy come January so want to have my itinerary roughed out. I am definitely a planner so even though I have heard DL doesn't require as much planning, I still want a rough idea of our days. And although I like (okay LOVE) to have a plan, I am also flexible with it. (usually with wdw, we follow my commando-type plan until noon, then we spend the rest of the day with just a rough idea of which way we are headed and a few shows/etc that I want to see. I find this saves us a lot of time trying to decide what to do next and we get a lot more accomplished. But since I am unfamiliar with DL, I don't have a morning strategy. Where should we go first? I do plan to use max pass. My kids are adventure junkies and love to ride everything they are tall enough for but my daughter will just barely be 48" (hoping and praying) on this trip. And we want to do as much as we can in the 4 days but I also know they will want to do repeats of some of the headline rides and that is what I want to figure out how to accomplish. Also as far as park hopping, I know the parks are close together but should we plan a morning in DL then hop to DCA or vice versa? Or should we just stay in DL for one day and then do DCA another day?? Sorry for all the questions. I figured on this forum I could get advise from DL regulars who will really know the best strategies. Any help, advice or tips are greatly appreciated. 4 1/2 months and counting!! Woot Woot!!

First of all, forget everything you know about WDW planning - well not everything, rope drop is still your friend. Otherwise, DLR requires much less planning. I like to have hoppers because the two parks are so close together they can practically be one big park - plus by using MaxPass you can get FPs for either park once you enter one of them. It's great!

I would do a rope-drop morning in each park, though it's more crucial in DL I think. Like at MK, Peter Pan is gets the longest line fast! It is the priority probably followed by Alice in Wonderland. You can knock out the Fantasyland dark-rides early as they do load slow (and they have so many tha tMK doesn't have!), then move on. MaxPass can help with the coasters and such. Also note there are a lot more Single Rider options at DLR if that suits you.

My suggestion is to not miss the shows as they really are a cut above at DLR. Things like the Frozen Musical and Mickey and the Magical Map are very worthwhile! If you want to see the fireworks, do be prepared for them to be cancelled by the wind. It's a good idea to have a couple of nights tentatively planned in case the first doesn't work out. I do not know which show they will be running come April.

I will also say to not discount a ride just because it is at WDW as some of them are quite different. Pirates is much longer (and better!) at DL. Space Mountain is a completely different ride! Haunted Mansion has some small differences that I also think are worth seeing. Actually, if you were to discount one, I'd say Peter Pan. It's a bit shorter than the MK version but otherwise almost identical. Then again, it's a true DL classic so you may want to do it just to see that. Soarin' is also 100% identical as is Star Tours (other than that they both have a lower capacity). Still, you have plenty of time so you should get to see most everything should you want to.

HAVE FUN!

I would for sure get the Maxpass and the Park hoppers. It is really really easy to move over to the next park. My favorite is the grizzly river run, so even on Disneyland days, we might hop over the CA for a few just to ride that a few times before our mid-day break. It's super easy.

I echo what everyone else has said! For me personally (I’m local but get a lot of visitors who want to go to DLR!) if we do two days, the plan is kind of strict on the first day to ensure we get everything done that we want to. Second day is more laid back and a time for us to enjoy the decorations in the parks and take in the atmosphere really. Usually do the character breakfast at Goofy’s Kitchen as well. Definitely worth a visit!

Since you are a planner, here are some threads with great information for you:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a great overview of the similarities and differences between WDW and DLR. (Already linked above)
Highly recommend getting park hoppers since hopping is so easy at DLR and gives you full advantage of MP (should you choose to buy it).
Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information ~ 3TinksAndAnEeyore
Max Pass:
FastPass, MaxPass (make sure to look at the tutorial videos in this thread)
MaxPass
First time MaxPass user...Help with tips and how to use.
Free legacy FP is still in use if you choose not to pay for MP. The above threads should explain the differences between FP and MP.
Choosing a DLR hotel: www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/
You may need a booster. If you don't bring your own, some car services will provide one (Lansky's Car Service is one that gets good reviews here). Mifold and Bubblebum travel boosters get high marks here -- both available on Amazon.com. Either of those will allow you to use Uber/Lyft, which can save money over renting a car and paying for parking. Other posters can update you on CA's booster seat law.
DLR planning: Does Disneyland need strategy?
Dining: there is no dining plan at DLR. Menus can be found here (Menus). If you want to budget for meals, one way is to put your dining money on Disney gift cards. Then use those gift cards for all CS (and DLR has good CS) and TS meals. You'll know exactly how much you're spending as you go along. If you need more money, reload the cards. Non-Disney owned restaurants and ODV carts don't take Disney gift cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter