First trip with our son with multiple special needs

these passes were meant for ANYONE with a disability, which includes physical, mental and developmental. I agree with you that the OP should be able to get a DAS card but would never diminish the needs of others to make my point.

To the OP, you will be able to get a DAS but will only be able use it on rides you child goes on. However, it can never hurt to politely explain your situation they may let you use it for the rides you go on with your older kids and then the baby swap with your husband. I hope you have an awesome vacation!! :hugs

As many others have explained the purpose of the DAS is to help people who for whatever reason related to their condition can't use a standby line. Their need could be related to any condition or diagnosis. For example, being intolerant to heat is a need that is caused by many conditions, including medical needs, autism, physical conditions etc. Whether Disney accept that it's a need that requires a DAS depends on how the need impacts on the individual, not on what causes it.

If you're only needing the passport for the Canada/US border then try the NEXUS card. You fill out the application online and then you at the same time set up an appointment to get interviewed, photographed, retinal scanned, and fingerprinted. In Ottawa you can get this done at the airport (you need an appointment but they can do it there). Bonuses of NEXUS include being cheaper than a passport and it qualifies you for TSA Pre-Check at airports that have that (MCO does).

What a great idea- thanks!

Wow I didn't realize all of this happened in my thread. I am sorry.

For the record I don't believe my son has SPD, though honestly he is young and his cognitive ability isn't enough for us to really know I guess.

Our daughter, she is 8 will be 9 on the trip, has SPD and Epilepsy. Thankfully she has been off her meds for her seizures for a year now and has only had breakthrough seizures when she is sick, stressed, dehydrated etc. Normal triggers for seizures. She has difficulty waiting in lines and in crowded noisy areas on our last trip we did use a GAC card for her because she was having more frequent seizures then and was 5 at the time we went so she was much more sensitive. This trip I think we will try not getting a DAS at first and see how she and he does. I don't want to get one if we won't use it and I would rather go in hoping that we just won't need one, staying positive. :goodvibes

I will definitely do the ziploc bags of ice and washcloth wraps. The linen clothes that we could wet is a great idea also. He is having more frequent seizures lately that are lasting 6+ minutes so I am leaning more toward carrying him in a ring sling rather than the stroller as much as possible. I was thinking I could always soak the ring sling and have that be cool. sure it would wet the both of us but I don't see that it would be a big deal for me. ;)

Of course I am hoping that come Aug we will have the seizures figured out and have a better handle on them.

I made our dining reservations today since we are 180 days out now and planned to have most of our TS meals be lunch time, which would get us out of the heat of the afternoon and give us a nice break.

I am going to plan as best I can but honestly we will be at DISNEY finally and if it means that I walk around with him cuddling and sneaking into places that have A/C most of the time well then I will do that and LOVE it. I can't wait to see his reaction to the parks, the characters and just get to spend some time being a family and having fun. We really need this, it will be memories we can have to help carry us through our journey ahead. pixiedust:

If your child's needs aren't met by using the wheelchair accessible queue, then it's your responsibility to explain those needs to the CM so that they understand that. If your child's needs are such that the wheelchair accessible queue can meet those needs, then you don't need, nor should you receive, a DAS.

Many, many guests with physical disabilities don't need a DAS, as the accessible queues meet their needs.

I'm the first to say that I'm very happy that Disney has replaced the GAC with the DAS, because the DAS is a much more equitable way of providing accommodations to those that need them.

I just want to make it clear that I am not nor ever was trying to "game" the DAS system.

My first post asked about it because I honestly didn't know much about since since we haven't been since it was changed from the GAC.

Honestly the whole new FastPass system and DAS etc. all confuses me and I am going to really have to read up on it because I don't understand how the new fastpass system and booking things before hand works. I wasn't ready for the level of planning what rides when before the trip. :rotfl:

I just want to make it clear that I am not nor ever was trying to "game" the DAS system.

My first post asked about it because I honestly didn't know much about since since we haven't been since it was changed from the GAC.

Honestly the whole new FastPass system and DAS etc. all confuses me and I am going to really have to read up on it because I don't understand how the new fastpass system and booking things before hand works. I wasn't ready for the level of planning what rides when before the trip. :rotfl:

Never thought for a second that you were - you'll have lots of challenges, the system has changed, and you asked some great questions!

We're going in July, and I'm trying to learn about FP+ as well.

This trip I think we will try not getting a DAS at first and see how she and he does. I don't want to get one if we won't use it and I would rather go in hoping that we just won't need one, staying positive. :goodvibes

We've used a GAC in the past for my autistic daughter. This trip, thanks to FP+, I don't think we'll actually need a DAS but I plan to get one as a backup plan. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. My detailed touring plans are built without it but if something doesn't go as planned and I have to scramble to move things around, it'll be nice having the backup of the DAS. I wouldn't want to have to head to Guest Relations when things are already going south. I see building the plans without it as staying positive.

I don't think anybody thought you were trying to game the system or get away with anything. Your posts at least to me read as though you're trying to gather correct information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter