First trip - unmissable experiences?

SeerPumpkin

Earning My Ears
Hello.

I'm going on my first trip to WDW. Solo and all. I've never been on a Disney park before, so I'm kinda nervous.

The trip is still a few months away, but I'm reading a lot about, so I can really make the most of them. I know the general basics, but I'm afraid leaving something special behind.

I'm planning 14 days at the All-Star Movies Resort. 2 days for each park, some for Universal and etc around mid September.

Is there anything you could recommend?

First, don't overdo it. Take your time and rest in between. As far as not missing anything, it depends on your thrill level. If you are high thrill, don't miss Everest or Rockin Roller Coaster. Disney Philharmagic is a must do. I feel the same way about Fantasmic, Beauty and the Beast and the show in front of Cinderella's Castle. Haven't tried Rivers of Light yet. I am a roller coaster fan, but i mostly "feel the magic" watching the shows.

My advice is don't forget about the shows. The parks all have great shows that are attractions in themselves and streetmosphere entertainers that are fabulous, too. Our favorites are
  • MK-- Dapper Dans, Main Street Orchestra, flag retreat
  • Epcot-- Voices of Liberty
  • AK-- Finding Nemo musical, FOTLK

Learn to use fastpasses.
Get your tickets at least 60 days ahead of time.
Since you are staying on site you can book your fastpasses 60 days ahead, by linking your tickets to you reservation.
My suggestion is to book the Pandora (AK) fastpasses at 60 days.

You will have a great time!

Don't stress about seeing it alll!! Take your breaks, and have a couple of days to sleep in or have a resort/pool day, especially with 14 days!
-If you are an entertainment loving person:
-Festival of Fantasy parade at MK
-Festival of the Lion King at DAK
-Beauty and the Beast at DHS

The thrill ride fan:
-Rock N Rollercoaster
-Tower of Terror
-Space Mountain
-Expedition Everest
-Hulk/Rip Ride Rockets/Dragon Challenge over at Universal

Disney nut:
-Phillharmagic
-One Man's Dream
-Consider booking a tour, the Keys to the Kingdom in MK is a pretty basic one, gets you backstage/downstairs and a lot of knowledge about the parks!

First, don't stress about it. Realize that you may not be able to see and do everything, but you can pick up what you missed on your next trip.

I would read a WDW guide and pick out what parks you would like to go to. Then, look at the park maps and see what rides and attractions you want to see and do.

Everyone has their favorites; I love lots of the more exciting rides, but will talk about what I consider a few "musts but off the beaten tracks" for me.

I love Turtle Talk with Crush at Epcot, because of the way that there is realistic interaction with the audience. You can search YouTube to get an idea. It is a great way to cool off, funny, not a big line, and a great way to get a little "rest." The interaction is really funny.

I also enjoy Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, for the same reasons, but it is not everyone's cup of tea.

I always make sure to ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover at night, because of how lovely the views are of the park at night - a quiet way to have a pleasant ride and cool off a little (you go inside some of the buildings, can see the Buzz Lightyear ride, etc.). It is very retro. I also HIGHLY recommend riding the rides during the parades, as the waits are much shorter - I've run down the ramp/walked right onto Pirates, as well as onto Splash Mountain. I strongly believe that Splash Mountain should be done after dark, as just as you hit the crest of the drop, you get a quick view of the Castle all lit up, then you drop. It is a moment of beauty.

Food can be expensive there. Since it is a first visit, keep your eye open for possible "Free Dining" - If it is offered, I would consider upgrading for $20 a day for the Regular Dining Plan, if you want to try some of their sit down restaurants/character meals. You could then do a character dining or two, eat at a few signature restaurants (you would use two table credits for a signature restaurant).

Have you considered a split-stay? The resorts are part of the experience. Trying two different resorts is very doable in your amount of time there. If you don't have a car, Bell Services will transfer your luggage. You could try out a couple of different value resorts, or even part of your time at a value resort, and see if there are any "value" rooms available at Animal Kingdom Lodge/Jambo House in a villa (rent points through a broker, like David's DVC.) While it is $150 a night, it includes tax. Tax for The Movies resort is 13.5%. $7 more a night to stay at the Lodge (for less than $100 you could stay there for your entire trip). A villa studio would include a microwave and a mini fridge, coffee maker, other small amenities. This would not include free dining, but if you split your stay, you could do free dining (if offered) at the value, then switch over to AKL, renting points for a few nights. The pool at Kidani (next to Jambo House, but the value rooms are in Jambo) has a great slide, and you would be able to use it. There is so much to see at Jambo as well, for during your "down time."

Absolutely try and visit some of the Deluxe resorts, just for the experience. The theming of some of them is amazing. You could do a Monorail dinner, having an appetizer at the Contemporary, entree at the Polynesian, dessert over at the Grand Floridian, then over to MK for Extended Hours. If you are of drinking age, I'd recommend Trader Sam's Grog Grotto at the Poly, if not, then try a Dole Whip. Or even a quick breakfast at the Polynesian Captain Cook's and try the Tonga Toast, then take a little boat over to the MK. We really enjoyed dinner over at Wilderness Lodge, then taking a boat, and were treated to the Electrical Water Pageant on our way to MK.

All of the replies above are terrific.

But no matter what your touring style, no matter how long you stay, you're going to miss someone's must do attraction.

Figure out what you like best, and be willing to try new things. I would make a list, per park, of what you are 100% most interested in, maybe 3 things per park per day, then take it from there.

Here is my list:
Magic Kingdom: Philharmagic, Dumbo, The Muppets Present Great Moments in History in Liberty Square, Haunted Mansion
Hollywood Studios: Fantasmic, March of the First Order, Muppets 3D, Frozen sing a long, all the Star Wars stuff
Epcot- Spaceship Earth, the Frozen ride, Turtle Talk with Crush, and the aquarium
I love fireworks but I did not see any of the shows because my daughter is scared of them, but those are a must see too. I would try to find and visit with your favorite characters too.

Thanks for all the great replies! I'm a huge Disney fan and while I already know a lot about the parks, I've never read a guide or know the specifics of each attraction. I will download the maps and take your tips into consideration. Thank you very much!
I also loved the idea of a split stay, never considered it. Will put some tought into that, too. Thanks, MumziMom.

Thanks for all the great replies! I'm a huge Disney fan and while I already know a lot about the parks, I've never read a guide or know the specifics of each attraction. I will download the maps and take your tips into consideration. Thank you very much!
I also loved the idea of a split stay, never considered it. Will put some tought into that, too. Thanks, MumziMom.
We do split stays sometimes and it can be great if you plan it right with the right resorts

MK - Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, any of the Mountains
HS - Great Movie Ride (after so may rumors about its closure circulating, I'd try and ride it in case you don't get another opportunity), One Man's Dream
Epcot - Spaceship Earth & definitely eating around the world. not exactly an attraction, but I consider it a must-do.
AK - Dinosaur and Safari!!!!

I would borrow the Unoffical Guide to Disney World from the library. It is an interesting point of view on the parks. Explains the author's favorites.

My not to be missed is Illuminations and Space Ship Earth. My husband's is Pirates of the Carribean and Haunted Mansion.

Have a great time.

Just remember that you will never do everything. I'm retired and have been going multiple times a year for about 20 years. But every trip I find something that I've never done before.

I've done a lot of solo trips. It's great to be able to do just what you want to do. You can turn on a dime.

Decide what is important to you about food. I've lived in the San Francisco area and New Orleans for the past 3 decades so I am used to having great food. I do not go to Disney for the food, as I can get that at home. So I am not willing to spend much time getting fed. But that's me not you.

14 days is a long trip! Make sure you take some rest times or you may be so tired by the end you don't enjoy anything at all!

You simply must meet Mickey Mouse and watch HEA fireworks at MK. Have a wonderful time!

When I first starting going to WDW I toured commando style - up at rope drop and going non-stop until I could do no more than crawl back to the resort. Consequently it was probably seven or eight years/trips before I discovered the parks at night, and not necessarily just during Extra Magic Hours or for shows, just after sunset. They are oh so pretty with everything lit up and it will be cooler and more comfortable. So first recommendation - enjoy the parks after dark.

Power naps in the afternoon are a wonderful thing. Some people don't like "wasting" the transportation time to go to and from their resort but for me its like getting two days out of one - up and out early, short sleep, up and out late. So second recommendation is to take mid-day breaks... it doesn't have to be back to the resort as a nice mid-day sit down meal can have the same restorative effect, as long as its some place that gives you a visual and auditory break as well getting you off your feet and in to air conditioning.

I love the boat from Studios over to EPCOT International Gateway - heck, even International Gateway was a revelation the first time I did it. It's a nice leisurely sit down (there seems to be a theme going here), and going in thru International Gateway is so low key compared to the front entrance, and it puts you right into World Showcase. Third recommendation - take the boat at least once.

One of my favorite things to do is to arrive at EPCOT at rope drop and walk back to Les Halles in France for breakfast. The other folks there at opening are either going to stay in Future World or head over to Frozen Ever After, which is the other side of World Showcase. There will be very few people out and about and it's like EPCOT is your own personal park - and Les Halles won't be crazy busy, as it gets during the day. Plus there are yummy things to eat, so fourth recommendation - France for breakfast.

Fifth recommendation - one trip I did the four parks-in-one-day challenge and it was a blast. My criteria was to do at least three attractions in each park, eat something in each park, get my picture taken in front of the park icon and to use each type of transportation: bus, monorail, boat. I plan on doing it again during my next trip, this time using the new express transportation option, so I'll increase the number of attractions per park because it will be so much easier to get around.

Last recommendation - don't over plan and don't stress. Here's so much to choose from that you can't do it all. Research so you know where things are and what the options are, particularity with food, and be flexible with your plans because you never know what you'll discover that will peek your interest.

Have a wonderful time!

Last edited:
i highly suggest watching illuminations: reflections of earth at epcot. that show just screams magic to me from the big globe in the lagoon to the fireworks themselves, to especially the soundtrack. pure disney magic :goodvibes

You simply must meet Mickey Mouse and watch HEA fireworks at MK. Have a wonderful time!
^THIS. Our first trip was in 2015, and I made the mistake of going to MK twice and not letting my kids meet Mickey. Hopefully we will be back next summer and I'll have a chance to rectify that, even though my kids will be 10 and 15. Fireworks are a lower priority for me since I dislike standing outside and dealing with crowds, but I hear they are terrific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter