First trip to WDW since DD diagnosed w/diabetes

vasoccermom

Mouseketeer
Although we've been to WDW in the past, this is the first time since my almost 8 yr old DD has been diagnosed w/Type 1 diabetes. We will need to carry her insulin and syringes around with us all day and I wanted to know if the parks were equipped for disposal of syringes.
Is there any info I need to be aware of w/regards to carrying supplies w/me?
Thanks for your help.

Karen

Welcome to disABILITIES. Many of us are here to help you.

All of the Disney Parks have a First Aid Station which is staffed by Registered Nurses. They can store your insulin (in a refrigerator) and needles or other supplies for you at no charge. In addition, they have private areas where you can do the necessary injections. They also have Sharp's Containers available for use.

If you are staying on property you can get a refrigerator in the room at no charge. Disney is starting to put them in all the Deluxe and Moderate Resorts. If you will be at a value resort, or to be sure of getting one at a Deluxe or Moderate, call WDW Special (Medical) reservations at 407-939-7807 and they can guarantee one for you at no charge.

When you check in, contact Housekeeping and they will provide a Sharp's Container for your room and duispose of it when you leave.

I don't know the exact situation with your DD, but I know my afternoon/evening dose size. Prior to leaving the room in the morning I will charge a syringe, putting the cap back on. I will wrap an unopened alcohol pad around the top of the syringe (not the plunger) for support and then put it in a toothbrush holder. I can carry it all day (in a belt bag) and not worry about pressing the syringe. After I give myself my shot, I woul then put the cap back on the syringe and dispose of it when I got back to the room.

I hope some of these ideas help.

Hi Chesire Figment and thank you for your response!
We are staying on-site (for the first time) and I've already spoken to the CM when booking our room to get a fridge. I will have to remember to ask mousekeeping for the sharps container.
My DD takes insulin only at breakfast and before dinner. However, unlike you, we won't be able to pre=charge her syringe as she's on a sliding scale for her H. Good to know the nurses stations have fridges although with the parks being as large as they are, I'm not sure we'd get back to a particular station by meal time...we're trying to think of a way to carry a cold pack in our backpack (along with her snacks).

Thanks again and I"m sure I'll have more questions as our trip draws closer...stay tuned!:wave:

Karen

We have a small soft-side cooler, which once served as a bottle bag, for carrying Lantus and Humalog on flights and into the parks if necessary. Many sophisticated insulin-specific coolers are available: http://www.medose.com/diabetes/protectall.html, http://www.medicool.com/diabetes/diabetes_travel.html.

The latest security guidelines from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), a division of the Department of Transportation that took over federal regulation of air travel security in late 2001, allows syringes and other medical equipment on board as long as passengers provide appropriate documentation. Medical devices such as lancets and glucose meters should also be well documented. http://diabetes.about.com/cs/traveldiabetes/a/air_travel.htm.

Many times the Kid's Menus choices are not as low-carb, but you may call each restaurant's Head Chef a day or two before your PS to discuss alternatives. They are more than happy to accommodate special requests.

Most importantly, be prepared for any situation, and don't worry about packing too much.

We have a son, age 7, with Type 1 also. He is now on a pump but here are some different things I did.

For a while, I carried an insulated lunch box that I purchased from Lands End and carried ice packs in it to keep it cold. I was also able to keep juice and other snacks cool.

On later visists, I carried a case I purchased from www.fifty50.com made of neoprene. You can purchase a gel cool pack with these and it seems to work ok, too. This carrying case opens up so that it is easy to get through security.

I also used a small soft cooler about the size of a camera case made by Safety First. I found it in the baby section at Wal-Mart and it's original purpose was to keep medicine cool. It came with a gel pack, too. Since you can't refreeze things on site, we used ice in Ziplocks and wrapped the ice pack in paper towels in case it leaked. This fit easily in a backpack and wasn't as cumbersome as the lunchbox.

When I stored insulin at the nurses station, I felt like it was a pain to walk over, get the insulin, go to dinner, return the insulin, stop back by before I left the park..... One nite, I forgot to go by the nurses station to get it! Luckily I had a spare bottle in the room.

I agree with Ambassador. The Kid's Meal choices aren't great for kids with diabetes so don't be afraid to ask for a grilled piece of meat. I like to carry a Peanut Butter sandwich and piece of fruit, too, just in case. We usually see pretty high blood sugars while we are at WDW.

Hey Minniesfriend:

Thank you for your suggestions and your link to fifty50! I checked out the website, found a bunch of cool stuff and spoke with a very pleasant woman there earlier this week to order. The items arrrived today and I"m so excited! We got my DD a cheetah print carrying case which I'll give her right before the trip (she is a Halloween birthday baby so that might be part of her present since we leave on 11/7) along with a small gel pack. We elso got one of those neoprene medic alert bracelets. She's my little Mia Hamm so I'll give it to her tomorrow morning before her soccer game. I think she'll be thrilled!

I agree with your sentiment about the nurses stations not being all that convenient so I think we'll just keep the insulin with us through the day!

Thanks again for your recommendations!:jumping3:

karen:wave2:

This may be a dumb question, but do certain types of insulin need refrigeration, while others don't? DH says was told he only needs to store his *unopened* bottles of insulin in the fridge. Once they are opened, they get used up quickly enough that they don't spoil, he says.

Also, don't cold insulin injections hurt more than warm ones? Or, do you do something to warm them up?

Now I'm wondering if DH is doing his injections wrong!

My DD has only been diagnosed for just over a year so we're still learning things daily, but I was told (and read) that insulin doesn't do well at either temperature extreme. It certainly shouldn't be frozen, nor will it do well in very warm temps. Since my daughter is so small, we do not go through even half a bottle of insulin in one month (when it needs to be discarded) so it was recommended to us to keep her insulin in the fridge, just to keep it as fresh as possible. If your DH goes through insulin quickly, he can probably keep it at room temp without a problem.

And yes, cold insulin does hurt more going in that warm so I try to take the bottles out of the fridge about 20-30 min before her injection. Otherwise, we just roll the bottles between our palms (which we have to do anyway for her N).

Karen

:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter