First Trip to Hawaii....lots of questions???

Princess Merida

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! My oldest is graduating next year and for her graduation trip she has chosen Hawaii. We have never been to Hawaii and will be going in June 2025. We are DVC members and plan to use our contract for 3-5 nights at Aulani for a 1 or 2 bedroom. It will depend on what rooms are available at 7 months and whether we take one or two of her friends. We plan to be in Hawaii for 8-10 nights total. We have done some research on the different sections of the island. Ko Olina interests her the most with Waikiki being the runner up. Should I split the vacation between the two? I could get a hotel room in Waikiki and then switch over to Aulani. On the other hand, it looks like there is a lot to do at Aulani. Will we regret not staying there for the full time? We could rent points and extend the Aulani stay for the full time, or we could purchase a contract. Lol. We plan on getting another contract in a year or two anyway, but I'm not sure we would choose Aulani. For excursions we are planning on doing Kualoa ranch, Pearl Harbor, and maybe Diamond Head all likely on our own instead of paying the crazy excursion prices. If we stay in Waikiki at all we will do these excursions then since Waikiki is closer to all of them and we want to be able to enjoy all that Aulani has to offer. Any recommendations on excursions? Ones I should add or remove? Any recommended views at Aulani? Obviously, I will have to grab whatever is available, but any opinions would be helpful. Please feel free to add any tips on anything for Oahu. Thanks for any help! Lots of decisions.

Edited to add: We will also be doing the Aulani Luau. Any other food recommendations? I do have a fish allergy...not shellfish...anyone have experience with this in Hawaii?

Last edited:
Pearl Harbor can only be booked in advance -

Kualoa Ranch has multiple options: best to take a look at the website.

Time spent also depends on where you are coming from in the US. Time change is a big deal and it can take a few days to acclimate accordingly. The flight home could end up taking a whole day timewise (our return left Honolulu at 10:15 pm, and with a flight change in SF, we got back to Orlando at 6:30 PM)

The north shore and PCC are on the opposite side of the Island from Aulani and Waikiki. Uber is your friend.

First of all, it's going to be great no matter what you do. Get ready to enjoy.

We have been to Aulani twice and are going this summer for a 3rd time. What we have experienced each time is Aulani is so good, you feel guilty leaving for other sites on the island, but you know you need to do some of that. So if possible, I would wholeheartedly agree with a 3-5 day stay at Aulani where you barely leave the area, and then another stay somewhere else where you focus on seeing the sights around the island.

Things to prioritize at Aulani if you are splurging - cabanas/reserved seating, dining at Ama Ama at sunset, spa time and the hydrotherapy outside garden area they have, Makahiki character breakfast, luau (though there are good options off property as well).

Outside the Aulania area:
-Pearl Harbor - we have been twice since the first time you couldn't get to the USS Arizona memorial. One half day should cover everything you want to see.
-Kualoa Ranch - we have done the ATV tour (fun but very dusty/dirty!) as well as the bus tour of movie sites. Just depends on what you are interested in.
-Dole Plantation - whole family enjoyed the train ride and maze
-North Shore - food trucks, stopping at beaches.
-Honolulu - never stayed at Waikiki but we have shopped at Ala Moana center and made a stop at Leonard's each time
-Chief's Luau at Wet n Wild near Aulani - performs most nights of the week I think. Very entertaining and a good bit cheaper than the Aulani one.

The one big thing we haven't done is the Polynesian Cultural Center and are doing that this time. I agree not to pay for an excursion. Very easy to do all these things on your own.

Lots to choose from, I'm sure you will have a great time.

I have been to Waikiki before, so we never really stay there. That being said, it is worth doing - especially for the kids. It is kind of a tourist trap, but also can be fun. If it is less expensive, I would split my stay and go there and then finish up at Aulani.

As far as traveling around, Pearl Harbor is a must. The Dole plantation can be fun. The Polynesian Cultural Center is also something to look into. Some people complain about it, but it is not just entertainment, the educational value is worth the trip. If you have a car, a trip to the north shore is something we always do. Out kids have taken surfing lessons up there and loved it. There are plenty of good hikes to fun waterfalls that will cost nothing except travel.

If you have a 1 or 2 bedroom, hit up Safeway or Costco on the way to Aulani and plan on cooking a fair amount in the suite. Especially breakfast and some dinners. It is much more affordable, and typically just as tasty. We do eat dinner out about half the time, but almost always throw in a frozen lasagna or something, set the timer, and come back for a decent dinner.

Good advice so far. I would definitely plan a split stay in Waikiki, with Aulani being the second half of the trip. No sense to pay the resort premium while you’re out and about, and when you get to Aulani, you’ll be ready to just relax and chill at the resort.

Hotels in Waikiki are generally much less expensive. We usually stay with family, but we are staying at the Queen Kapiolani this trip - a new hotel, they have really aggressive rates right now - you may need to join their mailing list and wait to get the best offers, but we got 40% off the rack rates for our stay next month. They’re at the end of Waikiki, so easy to get out of Waikiki to visit the sites, and they have completely unobstructed views of Diamond head.

If you want a true feel for local life (as opposed to the fantasy experience of Aulani) do plan for:
  • A hike to a waterfall - there are many, ranging from easy (Waimea Falls) to semi difficult (Waimano) and lots in between.
  • Hike to a lighthouse (Makapu’u Point) - easy walk on a paved path, with some amazing views, and whale sightings at the right time of year.
  • Go to the Diamond Head farmers market after you do the climb. Technically it’s the KCC Farmers Market, and it’s only on Saturdays, but well worth planning around if you can.
  • Do a nice dinner at a modern local restaurant- Miro Kaimuki, MW restaurant, or Roy’s in Hawaii Kai (the best of the locations).
  • Eat local foods - Malasadas (Leonard’s), shave ice (Waiola or Uncle Clays’s), plate lunch (Rainbow Drive In), and a local foods restaurant (like Helena’s). While you’re at Aulani, make a trip down the highway to Broke Da Mouth Grindz.
  • See some fish in their natural surroundings at Hanauma Bay (reservations required and hard to get)
Have fun with the planning. There’s so much fun stuff to do on Oahu.

Interestingly I am also from Vancouver like the above poster and I really like the city-with-beach vibe of Waikiki. It is a good place to stay to access some of those parts of the island. We did 5 days at Waikiki and 4 days at Aulani. I wasn't a DVC owner at the time so staying at Aulani was fairly cost-prohibitive, even renting points. Next time we go to Oahu I might do the full stay at Aulani.

Thank you all for the information. I will look into where to stay in Waikiki. Having 5 or 6 people may force me into suites only. For those of you who have done Kualoa Ranch which option would you choose for us? My husband and I are pretty active and we will have 3-4 teens ages 13-19. I first thought the ATV's would be good but we may like to be able to talk to each other. Would the 13 year old even be able to do the ATV? @Mr. Drauer we are coming from the Virginia Beach area so jet lag will definitely be a thing.

Interestingly I am also from Vancouver like the above poster and I really like the city-with-beach vibe of Waikiki. It is a good place to stay to access some of those parts of the island. We did 5 days at Waikiki and 4 days at Aulani. I wasn't a DVC owner at the time so staying at Aulani was fairly cost-prohibitive, even renting points. Next time we go to Oahu I might do the full stay at Aulani.
Would you say you were glad you did include Waikiki for the first time to experience it?

Would you say you were glad you did include Waikiki for the first time to experience it?
No regrets for us re: Waikiki at all. We did use it as a jumping off point for Kualoa Ranch, Pearl Harbor, Hanauma Bay, I think we even went to North Shore while staying in Waikiki. In the evenings it was nice to walk around, I like the city vibe as I mentioned. Not much is happening at Aulani in the evenings and Ko Olina generally is very quiet. I wouldn't say it's NECESSARY to stay in Waikiki at all - just that it made sense for us and worked out. B/c we rented points for Aulani and it was so expensive I wanted to enjoy Aulani for what it was. Next time we go to Aulani we will probably do 8 nights there and maybe I won't feel as pressured to stay there and relax the whole time :)

Edited to add: We will also be doing the Aulani Luau. Any other food recommendations? I do have a fish allergy...not shellfish...anyone have experience with this in Hawaii?
We didn't do the Aulani Luau but went to a luau called Toa Luau in Waimea Valley. It was excellent, really well priced, and I would not hesitate to recommend if you are looking for a luau option. You also get to enjoy Waimea Falls with the price of admission.

Thank you all for the information. I will look into where to stay in Waikiki. Having 5 or 6 people may force me into suites only. For those of you who have done Kualoa Ranch which option would you choose for us? My husband and I are pretty active and we will have 3-4 teens ages 13-19. I first thought the ATV's would be good but we may like to be able to talk to each other. Would the 13 year old even be able to do the ATV? @Mr. Drauer we are coming from the Virginia Beach area so jet lag will definitely be a thing.
The 5 of us stayed at Embassy Suites Waikiki, it was nicely central. At Kualoa we did do the ATV tour and were all in one but with more people you'd need to spread out. 13yo can definitely do the tour but probably can't drive. There were lots of points where we got out of the ATVs too.

We only stay in Waikiki because that’s where our hotel points are. We love the beaches on the Windward side.

https://www.hawaii-guide.com/oahu/beaches/waimanalo_beach_park

And Kailua.

Marugame Udon in Waikiki is a must do. Line is long, but it’s moves quickly.
I fell in love with their Nikutama and Curry Nikutama so hard we ate there three nights in a row (our hotel was close by). I still miss it. (The line moves fast)

Kona Coffee in Waikiki also has some amazing Kouign-amann.

Uncle Clay’s House of Pure Aloha makes their own shave ice syrups from fruit, no artificial colors or flavors. Really yummy.

If you’re on the Windward side at all, Yoonyson Korean BBQ is a tiny dive counter service place with excellent meat jun, potato salad, and great regular (cabbage) and cucumber kimchee.

At Leonard’s, we have tried every flavor and universally prefer the non filled ones, with cinammon sugar as the favorite. (Line also moves fast at main location, but there’s food trucks, too).

Magnolia Ice Cream and Treats in the International Market Place in Waikiki has excellent ube ice cream and try the halo halo

I honestly would just stay at Aulani the whole time. I don't love moving hotels and just love Aulani and don't care for Waikiki that much. We always rent and car and find driving around not that hard and pretty for the most part.

We have done two of the catamaran tour with this company and loved them. Turtles guaranteed out of Waikiki and dolphins out of near Aulani. We are going in May and doing a sunset sail with them.
https://www.hawaiinautical.com/

If ziplining is something you would all like this, this was a blast!
https://www.climbworks.com/keana_Farms/

If you have the DVC points for it, staying at Aulani is a great option. The 1 bedroom villas are pretty large, and there are some great Island Garden view rooms you can request to help you stretch your points while still having a great trip.

If that's not possible, and you have a rental car, I highly recommend splitting your trip between Aulani and Turtle Bay. The two resorts are on opposite corners of the island, so you'll have good access to activities on both sides. Turtle Bay has a resort with conventional rooms, but it also has a large condo neighborhood that people rent out on Airbnb and VRBO. They're called Kuilima Estates, and you can rent a 1 or 2 bedroom villa for about the same price as a hotel room at Aulani or the higher end Waikiki resorts.

I do recommend a rental car if you can. You get free parking at Aulani if staying on points, and it frees you from needing to take excursions. It also lets you stop at random beaches and parks when going around the island. The only downside is that parking in Waikiki is expensive, so if you want to spend time there, you'll need to pay and park for the day.

Places I recommend going, in no particular order:
  • Pearl Harbor
  • Haleiwa
  • Kawela Bay Beach
  • Ka'ena Point State Park
  • Kualoa Ranch
  • Makapu'u Pointt
  • Halona Beach
  • Koko Crater
  • Diamond Head (get there very early)
Food recommendations:
  • Sunrise Shack
  • Leonard's Malasadas
  • Foodland
  • Moke's Bread and Breakfast
  • Jax Wood Fired Pizza
  • Kono's BBQ
  • Food trucks on Kamehameha Highway - I though Giovanni's was overrated, but there are tons of other options
  • Zippy's
  • Any ramen, pho, or other noodle place you find. Oahu has great noodles

It's supposedly hard to get uber out to the north shore, so I have decided when i go back to rent a car so I can explore more. I agree with the suggestion to do Waikiki first and plan your excursions while you are there. Aulani is just so wonderful to hang out.

Is banking or borrowing points an option? We're maxing out two years of points to stay at Aulani, and are staying 7 nights instead of our original plan of 8+ because the point cost was too high in July and we couldn't get June at 7 months. But as a family of 5, it is worth it to us because the other hotel options either looked not very nice or were so expensive for our party size that it worked out better for us to use borrowed points and just pay cash for any disney trips the following year.

But I will say, hotels are really important to us and maybe they aren't that big a deal to you. I keep seeing folks say that a hotel is "just a place to sleep" but for us that is never the case. Our kids would have major meltdowns if we were out and about from morning til night. We always need to stick to half day activities and then spend the rest of the time relaxing at the hotel pool, and prefer to eat on site rather than having to venture out again at mealtimes. So good hotel facilities are a must for us. YMMV.

It's supposedly hard to get uber out to the north shore, so I have decided when i go back to rent a car so I can explore more. I agree with the suggestion to do Waikiki first and plan your excursions while you are there. Aulani is just so wonderful to hang out.
In addition, there are a lot of things spread out on the north shore. You'd either need to take multiple Ubers or stick with one area. It's worth at least renting a car for 1 or 2 days.

Disclaimer: I have never been to Hawaii and am going in 2 weeks. Here is our plan, based on a TON of research online, on the DIS, YouTube, etc.

We are DVC and can afford 8 days in May in a 2Br for 4 adults and a 5-year-old. We decided to add a single day at the Hyatt Regency in Waikiki on Day 1, then move to Aulani after that.

Almost all advice I have gotten is to rent a car (especially if you are staying at Aulani on points), so we are doing that.

I understand that there is tons to do at Aulani, but we are not sit-around-the-resort kind of people, so we are planning only 3 days total at the resort, and are doing the Aulani luau, the Makahiki character breakfast, the Spa, and the La Hiki Sunday brunch and Mina's at the Four Seasons.

Our other plans are Diamond Head, a North Shore/Kuhuku Sugar Mill day, Pearl Harbor, PCC, and Kaoloa Ranch and Haleiwa Joe's day.

Is banking or borrowing points an option? We're maxing out two years of points to stay at Aulani, and are staying 7 nights instead of our original plan of 8+ because the point cost was too high in July and we couldn't get June at 7 months.
We are habitual borrowers. Do you mean you were unable to secure any room at the 7 month mark or a specific room? I would be interested to know if you remember what you saw for availability for end of June at 7 months. Hoping for a 1 or 2 bedroom. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter