First Trip to Disneyland

BrianLa

Mouseketeer
This will be our first trip to Disneyland and we were lucky enough to get 1BR villa at the VGC.
We go to Disney World 2-3 times a year but I'm looking for advice/suggestions for Disneyland trip since I am very unfamiliar.
Are there any discounts on tickets for DVC members?
Max number of days for a ticket is 5, so for 8 day trip I will need to buy a 5 and 3 day tickets?
What dining should we absolutely not miss? (Character and non-character)
Is there a preference to which Park to start at DL or CA? (We are looking forward to the Avengers Campus)
Planning on traveling down to San Diego Zoo 1 of the days. Are there better or worse days to visit the zoo (assuming don't go on weekend)
Same question as above for Universal?
VIP tour worth it at Universal?

We are arriving 7/8/23 on red eye from Aulani and leaving 7/15/23 on red eye back to NY.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Weekends will be busy so avoid at all parks. 8 days is too many at Disneyland- 5 days tops two for each day and one to do anything you missed and that is only if you are a super fan. Disneyland is a lot smaller than Disneyworld. I would do five and use a day in the middle to see things around the hotel and DTD.

I love DLR but I feel like 5 days is the max I would want to go into the parks on any given trip. Honestly, after 3 I'm pretty well done. So I wouldn't bother to get a 5 and a 3 day ticket, I would just get the 5 day and do other things the other days, including a pool day (if it's a time of year where that would be enjoyable). The 4 hours we spent just lounging around the pool were a delight!

We always start at DL. There's just nothing like walking down Main Street to start your trip!

For character breakfasts, Storytellers was our favorite for the food, but Plaza Inn was our favorite for the character interactions. The food there is mediocre at best, but we met 9 or 10 different characters, and not all the common ones either. At Storytellers there say 4 characters, we only saw 3 and interacted with 2 (Minnie skipped our table), but the food was fantastic, to the point that I would go there just for the food even if there were no characters.

Must do/see things - since you have quite a long trip you shouldn't have any problem doing everything, but some things that I would personally prioritize -
  • Pirates - it's significantly longer than at WDW
  • Radiator Springs Racers - one of my favorite rides in all of the Disney parks. You can buy ILL for it, or do single rider. Otherwise expect a 60+ minute line. Try to go on this twice, once in daylight and once at night. I love it at night, with all the. neon and everything!
  • Mr Toad's Wild Ride is still at DL but no longer at WDW (even though you can get the popcorn bucket at WDW but not at DL...but I digress)
  • Matterhorn - same track system as Space Mountain at WDW, but a different theme, of course. I actually hate the right because it's so hurky jerky, but I think it's worth it to ride once.
  • The Lion King show at DL is really great, and different from the one at AK
  • Don't miss the castle walk through!
  • Indiana Jones is one of our faves. I recommend Rope Dropping, as the line gets long and it has a propensity to break down
  • The Animation Building is great for a break. I can't draw, like at all, but I still enjoyed the Animation Academy. That's also where Turtle Talk with Crush is, which is the same as at Epcot, but of course it's never really the same since it's interactive. Again, great for a break within the park
  • Mickey's Philharmagic will remind you of the Muppets 3D movie in spirit but it's very different in content. Worth going for sure!

I'll probably come back and edit as I feel like I'll think of other things

We always used to do 10 days when a 10 day pass was offered to NZers....ah those were the days. We are totally doing 8 on our trip next year! But if you only have 8 days you need to break it up a bit with rest days or other activities I think.

Weekends will be busy so avoid at all parks.
Haven't recent reports indicated that Sundays are less crowded than Mondays at DLR? I've had trouble keeping up with all the information about passholder blockout days, school schedules, etc. so that may depend on what time of the year Brian is going to DL.

I think 5 days in the park is perfect, especially if you want to take breaks during the middle of the day, or if there are days you want to sleep in.

This is cheesy and nerdy, but also takes less than five minutes, so it's worth considering. Stand in the hub in Disneyland near the partners statue. Look around and see the paths leading to the different lands. Remember this what Walt Disney imagined and not only lived to see come to life, but is still with us today. This is the park that Walk Disney not only created but also walked around in.

CarsLand is one of the absolute best things in Disneyland. It is a retro neon delight after it gets dark. It looks amazing during the daytime too. If you can manage to ride RSR racers during the daytime and the nighttime do it. The ride is amazing any time of day, but it is a different experience based on when you ride it.

Pirates is not a carbon copy clone, so that is absolutely worth riding.

I would say start in DL for the nostalgia and the feeling of seeing what Walt envisioned and supervised the creation of.

If you are into guidebooks, this one is fantastic. https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-G...guide+to+disneyland+2023,stripbooks,77&sr=1-1

If you have the park hopper ticket 2-3 days max would be perfect. Start at one park on the morning of your first park day, and then hop in the afternoon, and reverse the order on the second day. That’s the plan I have down for February.

I agree that 3 day tickets with hoppers will be enough, use the savings to buy Genie+ each day. I went in October of this year when it was very busy and had no problems seeing and experiencing everything with hoppers and Genie+ for the 3 days. Definitely make use of single rider lines if you can for attractions where either Genie+ is gone or if you don't want to spend additional on the ILL's. DL is open a lot later than WDW (until at least midnight) and it's so much easier to park hop, and to do everything. You could do 4 days if you really wanted to take long breaks each day. 8 days is probably overload at one time, but YMMMV! We also took a break one day and drove to the coast, it was perfect. You will love it, have a great vacation!

Last edited:
I think 3 days is ideal for DLR, but for a first timer you may want 4 or 5 - you won't have to rush! 8 is likely too much, but take some time to see other LA area sights too!

I'd hit DL first just becuase you've never been. Check that out, then do CA the next day. Remember that some stuff is the same as at WDW, and some is different - even when it has the same name - like Space Mountain is completely different, and Pirates is similar, but you'll be surprised! Some stuff is exactly the same, like the Star Wars stuff and Soarin'. You sound like superfans though, so I'm sure you'll be hitting it all!

For food, I like a lot of counter service - it is generally better than at WDW. Pacific Wharf Cafe and Award Wieners are stand-outs at DCA. At DL, I like the bao buns at Tropical Hideaway a ton. There aren't nearly as many sit-down options, but Cafe Orleans has always been a solid choice (though recent reviews may beg to differ). There's the Downtown Disney stuff too, and remember that it's all walkable - all right togther, so no busses or anything.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Last edited:
This is cheesy and nerdy, but also takes less than five minutes, so it's worth considering. Stand in the hub in Disneyland near the partners statue. Look around and see the paths leading to the different lands. Remember this what Walt Disney imagined and not only lived to see come to life, but is still with us today. This is the park that Walk Disney not only created but also walked around in.
Seriously, this is one of my fave things. On our last trip, we sat on a bench in the hub and had a snack. We listened to the Dapper Dans sing as they went by on the trolley, then we saw the train come into the station and leave again, and we admired the characters who were meeting with folks in front of the shops. It was just such a moment and I think of it fondly when I think of that trip. Everything about it was delightful and oddly relaxing.

As far as what days are more crowded, when are you going? The time of year can make a difference, as can whether you are in magic key block out dates, or dates right before certain levels of magic keys are going to be blocked for a while. For example---- we have gone in June several times. We have hit the last weekdays that APs were allowed in the park before being blocked for the summer more than once. Those days are way more crowded than the weekends. If you look at the enchant key calendar this year, they are 1) blocked Friday June 2 to Sunday June 4; 2) open Monday June 5- Thursday June 8; and then 3) blocked from June 9 until August 14. You can expect that last Monday through Thursday they are open before the summer blockout to be way more crowded than the weekends before and after it as people are trying to get a last visit in. When we have gone in June or July-- Mondays always seem to be the most crowded days.

Also be aware that depending on when you go, unlike WDW, the fireworks and Fantasmic may only be shown on weekends.

Park Tickets
Yes-- for 8 days, you would have to buy a 5 day and 3 day ticket. It it is pain because there are a few times we would have liked a 6 day ticket. I would recommend 5 days with hoppers. That is what we usually get and it sounds like you are going to be in California for 8 days and want to do other things. We typically do 5 days at DLR and then either go south to the San Diego area for the rest of our trip, or north to the LA area. We hit the parks around 12 or 1:00 p.m. on arrival day (stay about until DLR close), do 3 full days, and then hit the parks until about 3:00 on departure day. It feels like the right amount of time, although I'm rarely ready to leave Disney and I'm always wishing I could have the rest of that departure day. Unlike WDW, hopping at DLR is about a 5 minute process. The parks are separated by a plaza the size of a football field. We have literally been from the back of DL to the back of CA in 10 minutes. Plus depending on the time of year you are going, often DL is open later than CA, and if you are late night people you can hop over when CA closes and get a couple more hours in at DL. One thing to note is because of the local crowd the 1st two hours in the morning are typically the best park time of the day. Often you can get a lot done in those early morning hours before the parks start filling in (and you are hearing this from night owls that are not morning people by nature).

Dining
For characters at a character meal, you can't beat Minnie's breakfast-- there are different characters there than any of the WDW meals-- and there are often surprises. We've often seen 7 characters during our meal there, and one time we saw 9. Just about every time we have seen Minnie, Chip or Dale or both, Fairy Godmother, Pooh, and Tigger. There are usually at least one or 2 others.

You can see all the menus at the Disneyland website or on the all ears website. I would look for what appeals to you. We typically aren't fans of counter service at WDW and I couldn't spend a week on it. DLR is different- in our opinion they have lots of good counter service options- probably because of the local crowd. We usually enjoy Cafe Orleans, but the menu has somewhat changed. Blue Bayou is similar to San Angel in that a ride goes through, but with a bayou feel, but for the price in our opinion the food has been mediocre-- the menu there has changed recently too. The lamplight lounge brunch is only available on weekends and really hard to get a reservation--- we did it our last trip and thought it was fantastic.

Park to start
I don't think it matters which park you start at if you are talking about 1st day (as opposed to hopping) -especially as you aren't strangers to Disney. You may find that Disneyland feels very familiar but slightly off or like you are visiting the park in a dream as you are used to Magic Kingdom. It feels like it is somewhere you know-- but not quite the same- things aren't quite where you expect them to be.

San Diego Zoo
The zoo will typically be less crowded on weekdays. We've done it on weekends before too. Realize that it is about an hour and half drive from Disneyland. It could take 2 hours if you hit traffic-- but usually going towards the zoo it isn't too bad. I would also highly recommend you take a look at the San Diego Safari Park. They are both great, but my family prefers the safari park to the zoo. The Safari park is owned by the Zoo, but they are about half an hour away from each other. The zoo is right in San Diego and the Safari Park is out a ways--- they are probably both about the same distance drive from Disneyland-- the Safari park may be 10 minutes less to drive from Disneyland.

Universal
Realize although they are only 35 miles apart it can take an hour and a half to two hours to get from Disneyland to Universal. You have to drive through LA to get to Universal and the traffic can be awful. If you are extremely lucky with traffic you might make it in 50 minutes. I've heard that Tuesday-Thursday are the least crowded universal days. We went on a Wednesday in June in 2019 and it was fine. We decided against the VIP tour, but maybe someone else can help you there.

I love DLR but I feel like 5 days is the max I would want to go into the parks on any given trip. Honestly, after 3 I'm pretty well done. So I wouldn't bother to get a 5 and a 3 day ticket, I would just get the 5 day and do other things the other days, including a pool day (if it's a time of year where that would be enjoyable). The 4 hours we spent just lounging around the pool were a delight!

We always start at DL. There's just nothing like walking down Main Street to start your trip!

For character breakfasts, Storytellers was our favorite for the food, but Plaza Inn was our favorite for the character interactions. The food there is mediocre at best, but we met 9 or 10 different characters, and not all the common ones either. At Storytellers there say 4 characters, we only saw 3 and interacted with 2 (Minnie skipped our table), but the food was fantastic, to the point that I would go there just for the food even if there were no characters.

Must do/see things - since you have quite a long trip you shouldn't have any problem doing everything, but some things that I would personally prioritize -
  • Pirates - it's significantly longer than at WDW
  • Radiator Springs Racers - one of my favorite rides in all of the Disney parks. You can buy ILL for it, or do single rider. Otherwise expect a 60+ minute line. Try to go on this twice, once in daylight and once at night. I love it at night, with all the. neon and everything!
  • Mr Toad's Wild Ride is still at DL but no longer at WDW (even though you can get the popcorn bucket at WDW but not at DL...but I digress)
  • Matterhorn - same track system as Space Mountain at WDW, but a different theme, of course. I actually hate the right because it's so hurky jerky, but I think it's worth it to ride once.
  • The Lion King show at DL is really great, and different from the one at AK
  • Don't miss the castle walk through!
  • Indiana Jones is one of our faves. I recommend Rope Dropping, as the line gets long and it has a propensity to break down
  • The Animation Building is great for a break. I can't draw, like at all, but I still enjoyed the Animation Academy. That's also where Turtle Talk with Crush is, which is the same as at Epcot, but of course it's never really the same since it's interactive. Again, great for a break within the park
  • Mickey's Philharmagic will remind you of the Muppets 3D movie in spirit but it's very different in content. Worth going for sure!

I'll probably come back and edit as I feel like I'll think of other things
Thanks for the great advice. Certainly want to hit all the rides that are different or unique at DL. We love going to the parks and I can't imagine staying at the Grand Californian with a view of the parks and telling the kids "sorry we don't have tickets for today". We are spoiled with APs at WDW and even on "pool days" we end up at a park for dinner of nighttime entertainment.

I think 5 days in the park is perfect, especially if you want to take breaks during the middle of the day, or if there are days you want to sleep in.

CarsLand is one of the absolute best things in Disneyland. It is a retro neon delight after it gets dark. It looks amazing during the daytime too. If you can manage to ride RSR racers during the daytime and the nighttime do it. The ride is amazing any time of day, but it is a different experience based on when you ride it.

Pirates is not a carbon copy clone, so that is absolutely worth riding.

I would say start in DL for the nostalgia and the feeling of seeing what Walt envisioned and supervised the creation of.

If you are into guidebooks, this one is fantastic. https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disneyland-2023-Guides/dp/1628091339/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Z0F6YOWEZ969&keywords=The+Unofficial+Guide+to+Disneyland+2023&qid=1670527617&s=books&sprefix=the+unofficial+guide+to+disneyland+2023,stripbooks,77&sr=1-1
thanks for the advice

I think 3 days is ideal for DLR, but for a first timer you may want 4 or 5 - you won't have to rush! 8 is likely too much, but take some time to see other LA area sights too!

I'd hit DL first just becuase you've never been. Check that out, then do CA the next day. Remember that some stuff is the same as at WDW, and some is different - even when it has the same name - like Space Mountain is completely different, and Pirates is similar, but you'll be surprised! Some stuff is exactly the same, like the Star Wars stuff and Soarin'. You sound like superfans though, so I'm sure you'll be hitting it all!

For food, I like a lot of counter service - it is generally better than at WDW. Pacific Wharf Cafe and Award Wieners are stand-outs at DCA. At DL, I like the bao buns at Tropical Hideaway a ton. There aren't nearly as many sit-down options, but Cafe Orleans has always been a solid choice (though recent reviews may beg to differ). There's the Downtown Disney stuff too, and remember that it's all walkable - all right togther, so no busses or anything.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Haha "You sound like superfans though, so I'm sure you'll be hitting it all!" When I told my family we don't need to waste time at Galaxy's Edge because it was carbon copy of WDW, the looks they gave me.

Haha "You sound like superfans though, so I'm sure you'll be hitting it all!" When I told my family we don't need to waste time at Galaxy's Edge because it was carbon copy of WDW, the looks they gave me.

They were right to do so!

As far as what days are more crowded, when are you going? The time of year can make a difference, as can whether you are in magic key block out dates, or dates right before certain levels of magic keys are going to be blocked for a while. For example---- we have gone in June several times. We have hit the last weekdays that APs were allowed in the park before being blocked for the summer more than once. Those days are way more crowded than the weekends. If you look at the enchant key calendar this year, they are 1) blocked Friday June 2 to Sunday June 4; 2) open Monday June 5- Thursday June 8; and then 3) blocked from June 9 until August 14. You can expect that last Monday through Thursday they are open before the summer blockout to be way more crowded than the weekends before and after it as people are trying to get a last visit in. When we have gone in June or July-- Mondays always seem to be the most crowded days.

Also be aware that depending on when you go, unlike WDW, the fireworks and Fantasmic may only be shown on weekends.

Park Tickets
Yes-- for 8 days, you would have to buy a 5 day and 3 day ticket. It it is pain because there are a few times we would have liked a 6 day ticket. I would recommend 5 days with hoppers. That is what we usually get and it sounds like you are going to be in California for 8 days and want to do other things. We typically do 5 days at DLR and then either go south to the San Diego area for the rest of our trip, or north to the LA area. We hit the parks around 12 or 1:00 p.m. on arrival day (stay about until DLR close), do 3 full days, and then hit the parks until about 3:00 on departure day. It feels like the right amount of time, although I'm rarely ready to leave Disney and I'm always wishing I could have the rest of that departure day. Unlike WDW, hopping at DLR is about a 5 minute process. The parks are separated by a plaza the size of a football field. We have literally been from the back of DL to the back of CA in 10 minutes. Plus depending on the time of year you are going, often DL is open later than CA, and if you are late night people you can hop over when CA closes and get a couple more hours in at DL. One thing to note is because of the local crowd the 1st two hours in the morning are typically the best park time of the day. Often you can get a lot done in those early morning hours before the parks start filling in (and you are hearing this from night owls that are not morning people by nature).

Dining
For characters at a character meal, you can't beat Minnie's breakfast-- there are different characters there than any of the WDW meals-- and there are often surprises. We've often seen 7 characters during our meal there, and one time we saw 9. Just about every time we have seen Minnie, Chip or Dale or both, Fairy Godmother, Pooh, and Tigger. There are usually at least one or 2 others.

You can see all the menus at the Disneyland website or on the all ears website. I would look for what appeals to you. We typically aren't fans of counter service at WDW and I couldn't spend a week on it. DLR is different- in our opinion they have lots of good counter service options- probably because of the local crowd. We usually enjoy Cafe Orleans, but the menu has somewhat changed. Blue Bayou is similar to San Angel in that a ride goes through, but with a bayou feel, but for the price in our opinion the food has been mediocre-- the menu there has changed recently too. The lamplight lounge brunch is only available on weekends and really hard to get a reservation--- we did it our last trip and thought it was fantastic.

Park to start
I don't think it matters which park you start at if you are talking about 1st day (as opposed to hopping) -especially as you aren't strangers to Disney. You may find that Disneyland feels very familiar but slightly off or like you are visiting the park in a dream as you are used to Magic Kingdom. It feels like it is somewhere you know-- but not quite the same- things aren't quite where you expect them to be.

San Diego Zoo
The zoo will typically be less crowded on weekdays. We've done it on weekends before too. Realize that it is about an hour and half drive from Disneyland. It could take 2 hours if you hit traffic-- but usually going towards the zoo it isn't too bad. I would also highly recommend you take a look at the San Diego Safari Park. They are both great, but my family prefers the safari park to the zoo. The Safari park is owned by the Zoo, but they are about half an hour away from each other. The zoo is right in San Diego and the Safari Park is out a ways--- they are probably both about the same distance drive from Disneyland-- the Safari park may be 10 minutes less to drive from Disneyland.

Universal
Realize although they are only 35 miles apart it can take an hour and a half to two hours to get from Disneyland to Universal. You have to drive through LA to get to Universal and the traffic can be awful. If you are extremely lucky with traffic you might make it in 50 minutes. I've heard that Tuesday-Thursday are the least crowded universal days. We went on a Wednesday in June in 2019 and it was fine. We decided against the VIP tour, but maybe someone else can help you there.
Thanks for the info and tips "unlike WDW, the fireworks and Fantasmic may only be shown on weekends."
Could we do the zoo and safari park on same day or would we need to schedule 2 separate trips?
How about Seaworld?
We are not "rope drop to close" family. we did on our 1st few trips to WDW but since like to take a break midday typically when parks are at their most crowded have a nice lunch/pool and head back early evening to close.

Could we do the zoo and safari park on same day or would we need to schedule 2 separate trips?
How about Seaworld?
We are not "rope drop to close" family. we did on our 1st few trips to WDW but since like to take a break midday typically when parks are at their most crowded have a nice lunch/pool and head back early evening to close.

If you are not a "rope drop to close" family, then I would defintely reccomend 5 days in the park, especially for a first trip.

The Zoo and the Safari Park are both huge, so I would schedule them as two seperate trips (1 day at the Zoo and then another day at the Safari Park).

You may already know this, but at Disneyland PhotoPass is included with Genie+. For any day you buy Genie+, you have access to PhotoPass for that day.

We always do a 5 day pass. Park hopper never seems worth it to me. 2 days at DCA and three days at DLR gives us plenty of time for rides and entertainment, with a third DLR day to relax and just soak in the environment.

When we get to spend more time in the area we usually do one or two days at Universal. My 5YO DD likes UH as much as DL - but I think that’s just because … MINIONS! In a few years that may shift to Harry Potter. It Is a bit of a hassle to switch between DL and UH though - so if you’re planning on staying in Anaheim, Knotts may be a good option for a sixth park day. We switch over to one of the Universal hotels - walking distance to the park and Citywalk.

Brian, be aware that people may not notice that you've added more information to your original posting. Probably best to add information in a follow-up message to make sure everyone sees it.

Park Tickets

Dining

Park to start

San Diego Zoo

Universal
We are going 7/8/23 to 7/15/23

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter