First trip to Disneyland, have questions?

Dean

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis
I know how it is to have someone who's clueless want to ask for everything so I'll try not to do that. My questions at present are:
  • Any suggestions for other websites for DL, esp any with more info on dining and possibly menus.
  • Thoughts on the best and most up to date tourbook for DL.
  • I would certainly welcome any suggetions.
Our situation is this. 2 adults 4-5 nights the end of Sept for a meeting which gets out about 1 pm for 3 days and is at Paradise Pier. I was thinking about staying at the GC and just walking over but the price is double so will likely not take that option. We also have the option of buying tickets through the Convention at a discount including $31 for an after 4 pass. We were thinking of buying one days regular ticket and 3 of the after 4 passes per person. Our first day we'd have all day. Once the meeting gets out we'd do lunch then head to the parks at 4. We tend to prefer more table service than counter service dining options but not necessarily fine dining other than maybe once. Especially interested in table service that's open for lunch both in and out of the parks.

I have looked at the official website and DIS-Disneyland already but neither have given me a good feel so far. Any info would be appreciated.

I would recommend Birnbaums guidebook to visit Disneyland. You could get the new Passporter guidebook too. I prefer Binbaums for the parks.

You must eat at the Blue Bayou (Table Service) which is near Pirates of The Caribbean. They do not have a lot of Table Service at Disneyland. I would suggest Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Zone outside the parks in Downtown Disney for Table Service. Hooks Point and Wine Cellar at the Disneyland Hotel was also nice.

You could try allears.net for additional disney information.

Have a Magical stay!

pirate:

My favorite DL site is http://www.mouseplanet.com

Paradise Piere is a fine hotel, so don't bemoan the fact that you aren't at the GC. It is great, but you can always eat there/hang out in the lobby for much the same effect.

My personal faves for dining:
Napa Rose & Storytellers, GC
BLUE BAYOU - can't miss that (especially with the new Pirates redo)
Granvilles, DLH for breakfast

For 2 adults, I strongly recommend trying to get the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet - served on the balcony of the Disney Gallery when Fantasmic is playing. Expensive, but the desserts and service are great and the view is nearly perfect. It only seats about 16, so it books right away (I believe you book it at Guest Services at park opening).

Rides not to miss:
Pirates (so much better than the WDW version!)
Haunted Mansion (new bride effects - it will close sometime in the fall for Haunted Mansion Holiday redo, though)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye
Mr Toad's Wild Ride
Jungle Cruise (new scenes added)
Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
Storybookland
Space Mountain (newly redone)
fireworks - a fantasic show - try to watch from the castle or main street
Monsters Inc (at DCA)

Just a note, if you do decide to do the Fantasmic buffet, don't wait until you get there to reserve - it will be full. Call one month ahead of the day you want to do it to the Tickets & Reservations number, and start calling a few minutes before 8 am PST.

I like the Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney for table service. It's more expensive than some other places, but I like the food.

There is a site that has menus - maybe some kind person who knows what it is will post it here? Something like dlrinfo.com, I think.

Have a great trip!

With all due respect, I am a bit confused--- :confused3

you have 11,800 posts, you are a DIS sponsor and you say:

"I have looked at the official website and DIS-Disneyland already but neither have given me a good feel so far. Any info would be appreciated."

????? There are tons of maps and information that Judy from Boise and Tink 33 and Mary Jo offer on their sticky's.

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Hermosa11 said:
With all due respect, I am a bit confused--- :confused3

you have 11,800 posts, you are a DIS sponsor and you say:

"I have looked at the official website and DIS-Disneyland already but neither have given me a good feel so far. Any info would be appreciated."

????? There are tons of maps and information that Judy from Boise and Tink 33 and Mary Jo offer on their sticky's.

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3
Thanks, just getting started. My posts are almost exclusively with DVC. I did scan the stickies but nothing jumped out at me as pertaining to my needs though I missed the last one. Sorry if this is a problem.

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far, it'll take me a while to assimilate this info. I'm sure I'll have more questions but will try not to drive you all crazy.

Don't worry about asking questions. I'm a seasoned DL veteran who's only gone to WDW twice, so I had a ton of questions about WDW when I joined. Visiting both parks is a very different experience, and you plan differently too. It's good planning to know the differences between each park and what to expect when visiting DL, so you can get the most out of your stay.

Dean said:
We also have the option of buying tickets through the Convention at a discount including $31 for an after 4 pass. We were thinking of buying one days regular ticket and 3 of the after 4 passes per person. Our first day we'd have all day.

Keep in mind that the DL passes are cheaper online (at the official site). A 4-day hopper Bonus ticket is $169 with free shipping. This is good for the rest of 2006. It might be worth your while if you end up being able to go to the parks before 4 or if you want to hop between the two parks.

Thanks again, definitely the type of info I need to get started. I did realize after I posted this am on the way out the door that a PH pass of some type might be a better deal, I'll have to look into it.

Hey Dean!!
You will love DLR! I echo all of Mr Shiny's suggestions. Storyteller's Cafe for breakfast only though! Try for the Fantasmic dessert buffet but if you don't succeed just wait for the second show and follow the flow of the crowd from Main Street into Frontierland when the first show lets out. No pushing, no shoving, Just follow on in and grab a seat on the ground.
The best Disneyland advice I can give is try to enjoy the details. As a park that has had 50 years to grow into itself the details are rich and wondrous. Even a shorter trip will benefit if you take the time to notice the small things. I think it's truly the difference between feeling hectic and crowded and truly having a magical experience.
September is typically not crowded so you should have a wonderful time!
BTW, Birnbaums is the "official" guide so if you want a more objective opinion try Passporter or the mouseplanet site. Have a great time! :sunny:

We're currently away, at daughters Nursing school graduation. After looking, bought the unofficial guide. Partly because it's smaller than the official guide and I'll likely put it in my belt bag and partly because I like the way they are put together. I wanted to get the Passporter but it isn't available through B&N right now. I'll likely but it also.

Between that and the internet exploration from the links above, I'd leaning toward booking Blue Bayou, Ariel's Grotto, WC Trattoria, Ariel's Grotto, Goofy's Kitchen, Vineyard Rm, Napa Rose and possible Carnation Cafe. Not enough time for all the places I'd like to hit. And truth is we won't likely get all of them we make as we tend to eat lunch then not want a full dinner. We do call and cancel when we know we won't need them.

Thanks to all, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before we're done.

Dean, we're experienced WDW and DVC fans. We're leaving for our first DL trip in less than two weeks. Unfortunately, POTC and Blue Bayou won't be open for us. But I did snag three seats at the Dessert Buffet (called right at 8AM PDT 30 days out). We're looking to do the non-WDW things, a few common things (to check out the differences) and skip a few things. We probably won't do to many table service (maybe one or two) since we're only going to be there 3 days.

Thanks again for the help. At the present time we are planning to reserve the following.

Wed lunch - ? Rainforest
Wed dinner - likely either Carnation Cafe or Plaza Inn
Thursday Lunch - Blue Bayou
Thursday Dinner - likely either Carnation Cafe or Plaza Inn again.
Friday Lunch - Storytime Cafe
Friday Dinner - WC Trattoria
Sat Lunch - Rancho del Zocalo
Sat Dinner - Either Goffy's Kitchen or Ariel's Grotto.
Sunday Lunch - Counter Service
Sunday Dinner - Napa Rose ?

I know this appears very regimented but we tend to make adjustments on the fly. The plans and reservations just give us options. We are good at canceling unneeded options. The Core options are BB & a character meal. Any suggestions on which one. I was leaning toward AG but now I'm not sure, any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated along these lines. I'm also not sure about Napa Rose. Sounds like a great option but kind of expensive plus we're not really fine dining sort of people. Along those lines, I'm not sure about the Vineyard Room as well. Seems expensive but I've seen some menu's with price Fix only and others with al a cart menu listings which were more appealing.

I am experienced at neither WDW or DL, and found the Unofficial Guide to DL very helpful. I'll also be bringing it with us on our first trip in late September.

I thought Birnbaums was great for photos and more detailed descriptions. As you probably have read by now, the Unofficial Guide has great touring plans based on the members in your party and how long your stay will be.

Dean
I would recommend Storyteller's for breakfast/ brunch on Friday. It is excellent and you can order menu items as well as the buffet. When you are done you can just use the C A entrance and go in to the park. I would also try both Carnation and Plaza. Two different experiences...
And whatever you do, don't miss the Bengal BBQ-Adventureland and the Corn Dog Wagon (Right by the Plaza Inn)!
and have a Churro for me please! :sunny:
Wendi :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter