First timers, what would you do?

Connecticute

Earning My Ears
We're taking the plunge, heading to WDW for the first time with a 7 year old boy. We've gone to Universal a few times and we're looking to change it up a little bit.

I have so many questions that I don't even know what to ask about the parks. Husband and I went to Magic Kingdom and Epcot in 2005, Disneyland in 2009, and we went on a DCL cruise in 2015. This will be our son's first trip to Disney, and our first in a long, long time!

Hotel-wise, we're hoping to use a glut of Open Table points to book a room. The Swan has come up as an option, as has All-Star Music, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Sheraton Vistana Villages, and Saratoga Springs. Among those, which would you choose? When we've been at Universal, we stayed at Cabana Bay in the family suites and we've enjoyed having the extra space. We've also liked the resort amenities like the bowling alley, lazy river and pools. We're also not opposed to hotel hopping if that works out better for us to split up the trip.

Park-wise, I don't think we're the morning to midnight park goer types. We want to enjoy ourselves and not program every minute of the trip, so I'm not stressing about particular reservations or meet and greets. We definitely want to see the sights and hit the top highlights, but we also want to have time to check out the resort amenities, maybe go to Crayola, the Space center, and other non-Disney attractions.

We're thinking we'll do a day at Legoland, and then 4 days in and around Disney. What would be on your top list of what to do for 4 days?

Thanks!

I'd go with Swan if you can swing it. You can walk or boat to two parks. Next, I'd probably choose Saratoga or a family suite at All Star Music. Saratoga will have better amenities, but is quite spread out.

As for days, I'm not sure if you mean 4 days to WDW parks? If that's the case, remember, the WDW parks are bigger than the Universal parks (except probably HS right now). Not sure when you are planning for, but be aware Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is opening probably beginning to mid December. WDW will be mass chaos.

Opinion:
If you only have 4 days, I'd choose Swan. Your travel time to the parks is a very real consideration with limited time, imo.
Swan is located on the Epcot / Hollywood walking path. You can walk to either park. Epcot is a 10 minute walk, Hollywood is about 15-20. Waiting for busses to travel to parks at other resorts is a real consideration, if you ask me. The other resorts on the walking path are Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk. Check their prices. Swan is not a crappy motel, either. It is very nice.

As for WHAT you'd like to do when you are there, starting with each park is a fantastic idea.

If you decide to stay at Swan, you might entertain the thought of getting hoppers. They cost more, but make your planing much, much, easier, imo.

My suggestion if you do choose Swan:
go to early magic hours when offered, take a break mid- late afternoon at the resort, then hop to DHS or Epcot for easy /early evening "tour."
If DHS or Ep happened to have early magic hours, start your day there, and you won't have to wake up early to do so. This is why I love the Epcot Area resorts, as they are called. IMO, it makes planning so easy when you know you can get to two parks 15 minutes after you leave your room, instead of driving and parking, or waiting for a bus.

Once you dive into the attractions of each park, you'll know what you want to do. With 4 days, you'll have to make choices of what you'll have to leave out until your next trip. Don't try to do everything, or don't try to go 6am until midnight everyday. Relax, have fun, enjoy - it's a vacation. Don't make yourselves miserable. Chill out. Have fun. Go swimming! Too expensive to be miserable.

Figure out WHEN you'll go
Figure out where you'll stay
Figure out what attractions you want to do
Figure out which days you'll be at which parks
Figure out where you'll eat

That's how I do it. Plenty will help you here. You'll have a great time if you do your research. Way too expensive not to research.

For a 7 year old, Hollywood Studios & MK are a must. My daughter was never a fan of AK but I know many are. Epcot my daughter didn't have interest in that park until she was closer to 10, but she just wanted to go on rides all day every day.

As for hotels, we only stay Deluxe so I can't comment on any of the ones you listed, but once Saratoga and surrounding area is done with construction, I've heard its supposed to be really nice.

I'd forgo Legoland ... your 7 year old is at the top end for it age-wise, in my opinion and then have 5 days for your in and around Disney. Of your hotel options, I haven't stayed there, but I think the Swan would be a good choice with the ability to walk to HS and Epcot, plus the boat and buses. Although I am a huge fan on staying at Disney owned hotels (but not a huge fan of All Star, lol).

Id pick Swan or SSR or All Star Music. If you have stayed at Cabana Bay, Swan or SSR may appeal more to you. All Star Music will bot be as nice as Cabana Bay. I dont think Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Sheraton Vistana are considered "on site " for Disney so I wouldnt pick those. Also, just be prepared that since Disney is more spread out than Universal , their internal transport system {buses / boats / monoraoil} is not as quick or efficient

I would pick the Swan. It's a great location where you can walk or boat to two parks (Epcot and Hollywood Studios) It's a nice hotel, I've stayed there many times. We typically stay deluxe. For using points that you got from Open Table, how did you get those? I've never signed up for it, just make reservations off it. But if I could book a free hotel stay I might sign up lol.

Thanks everyone! We’re planning to go in March. We’re looking at a Sunday-Saturday trip, with Monday-Friday doing Disney. My son isn’t hugely into rides or characters, so we’ll see how it goes. He’d definitely enjoy Toy Story Land, Small World, Pooh and Peter Pan. The rest, I’m not so sure. I got him on a Simpsons ride and a couple of the Dr Seuss rides last year at Universal. He loved the Legoland rides though, so you just never know...

We’ve never done Open Table points for a hotel, so I have no idea how it will turn out. Basically, you get 100 points for each restaurant reservation you make on Open Table. We’ve been saving our points for years. They used to do a straight points to dollars conversion, and we had big plans of cashing them in for dinner at Per Se or Daniel or something, but never got around to it. So we’ve just been socking all these points away. Now they’re owned by Priceline and they have all these new points conversion options, like saving money on hotel reservations. The bad news is that it’s pre-paid, non-refundable, and not always available. So it feels kind of risky. It’d be great if it works out, but who knows if we will end up doing it or just going back to the known comfort of Cabana Bay.

Legoland is definitely happening - we went last year and the one night we spent in the Legoland hotel was the greatest night of my son’s life. He loved everything about it and still talks about it constantly. My husband and I? Meh. But it wasn’t for us, so we were happy because the boy was happy. The things parents do for their kids. Shrug.

Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming!

Next question, if you split your stay among different resorts, does Disney transfer your luggage for you? Like if we did 2 nights at All Star and switch to Saratoga, would they deliver our bags from one room to another? Or would we need to take time to switch them over ourselves? Obviously, if we're off-site, they wouldn't help us move, but between two Disney properties would they?

Next question, if you split your stay among different resorts, does Disney transfer your luggage for you? Like if we did 2 nights at All Star and switch to Saratoga, would they deliver our bags from one room to another? Or would we need to take time to switch them over ourselves? Obviously, if we're off-site, they wouldn't help us move, but between two Disney properties would they?

Yes, bell services will transfer luggage between WDW resorts. It does take a while, though, so if you happen to have a rental car or are willing to uber/lyft or take a taxi, you can take them over yourself as well.

What about the Disney Springs hotels? The Wyndham Lake Buena Vista is available, but I'm not sure about the travel time to the parks. Does that hotel get the Disney bus too, or would we be on our own to get to/from the parks?

If you like extra space and your son likes Nemo/McQueen/Lion King you may want to check out Art of Animation family suites. They will give you extra space and have awesome theming for a 7-year-old. Be advised though, they are pricey. The family suites there are nearly as much as a standard room at many of the deluxe resorts. If your son is into any of those movies though, it could be worth it to you.

What about the Disney Springs hotels? The Wyndham Lake Buena Vista is available, but I'm not sure about the travel time to the parks. Does that hotel get the Disney bus too, or would we be on our own to get to/from the parks?

If you go to their websites, the hotels will display their info about Disney shuttles or transportation. If they don't, there's something wrong, because it's a very common question. From the Wyndham LBV site:
SHUTTLE SERVICE
Our shuttle service—included in the $25/day resort fee—makes stops at four Disney parks and runs every 30 minutes throughout the day.

If you go to their websites, the hotels will display their info about Disney shuttles or transportation. If they don't, there's something wrong, because it's a very common question. From the Wyndham LBV site:
SHUTTLE SERVICE
Our shuttle service—included in the $25/day resort fee—makes stops at four Disney parks and runs every 30 minutes throughout the day.

You will also want to check and see when those shuttles start running and stop for the day. If it starts at 10 am , that is not a lot of help since hte parks open at 8 or 9 am...you will wnat to arrive when they open b/c the mornings are so much less crowded :)

I personally would skip all the outside attractions other than legoland since it was a hit with your son. It would just be exhausting to me to do all the other side trips. If you choose Swan or another offsite, you will need a car since magical express is not available. But since you plan to do legoland you probably already have factored that in. If you stay all stars music you will want a suite if you want space. A standard room is quite small and only has double beds. We stayed in the treehouse villas which are part of Saratoga springs a few years ago. I wouldn’t stay there again due to their busses. Too many internal stops. It just felt like it took forever to get anywhere. I like taking Disney busses rather than taking a car so fewer internal resort stops are important to me.

If your son likes animals, Animal Kingdom will be a must-do for you. They have a play area called the Boneyard where your son can run around and burn off some energy. We went to WDW with some friends that had a 6 year old boy with lots of energy. We spent two days at Animal Kingdom and he loved it. Both days they just let him run around the Boneyard to burn off some of his excess energy.

As you are looking at the various resorts, make sure to see if they have resort fees or parking fees that will be extra. The Disney resorts now have a parking fee. The Swan has a parking fee and a resort fee. Just something to be aware of so you can plan accordingly.

Have a great trip!!

I vote Swan. The boardwalk area around the lake will allow you to have some relaxing downtime near your resort. I second the suggestion of limiting the extra excursions outside of disney. I'd suggest one day/night at legoland and then spend the rest of the time at disney.

~Cari~ pluto:

If you choose Swan or another offsite, you will need a car since magical express is not available. But since you plan to do legoland you probably already have factored that in.

Clarity:
You'll need transportation to and from where you'd like to go, if you do not want to walk, bus, or use the friendship boats. There are tons of car services from the airport to all of the destinations in the Orlando area, its a huge business. Rideshares and taxis are extremely plentiful as well. Uber/Lyft are crazy cheap and fast in WDW. So, "you will need a car" sounds like rental almost - a rental is definitely not needed. I've stayed at the Swan a few times, and though I don't have interest in Legoland, I doubt I'd rent a car even if I did. You can order an uber when you leave your room, and it'll be waiting for you at the pickup spot, and they are cheap!

Also, for the OP, back to Wyndham. Reading between the lines of their bus - that SOUNDS LIKE it might be one bus every 30 minutes that stops at each park, so 4 stops per bus?

Disney Busses, generally are every 15-20 minutes, but head to one park each. So, an onsite resort will have busses that head to one park. They'll be clearly labeled as the "Animal Kingdom," "Magic Kingdom," etc bus.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter