First timers - lots of questions

trishp73

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are taking our three boys (teens) to Anaheim the week after Memorial Day and into the first week fo June. I've been before, but not for 30 years. Hubby has been to DW but not DL, kids have never been to either. So much has changed since the last time I went. The kids do not know we are going to Disney - it's going to be a surprise. I've got a lot of questions:

1. How does that time of year compare to Spring Break? This past week the wait times have gone through the roof and it's making me very nervous.

2. I bought a 3-day pass with Genie + and reserved 2 days at DL and 1 at DCA. I'm second guessing my choice of days. I was avoiding May 31 and June 2 due to grad nites, but was really torn between Sat., June 1 or Tues., June 4 for our last day. Which will be better? I've heard conflicting advice on going on weekends - some say they're busier while others say many magic key holders are blocked so it's less busy. I've also heard while Tuesdays are often low crowd days, that particular Tuesday is historically super packed due to it being one of the last days magic key holders can go. Thoughts?

3. I currently have the app installed and have all our tickets on it. Can everyone get it in with my phone or does each person need a phone with the app? Same question applies to using Genie + - can I manage it all myself? Can I have hubby install it and log in with my credentials to help? Was planning to have the kids leave their phones at the hotel to avoid losing them but didn't know if they would need them.

4. The two big rides I know we all want to ride are Rise of the Resistance and Radiator Springs Racers (like everyone else). What's the best way to ride them without having to stand in line for hours or fork over more money for ILLs? Should we rope drop or is that what everyone else will be doing and we will still stand in super long lines anyway?

5. Is there a recommended itinerary or plan of attack to make the most of our days? Is it better to try and follow the shortest wait times or follow a path around the parks?

6. My two oldest kids are autistic. They are capable of walking all over and standing in lines, but won't like it. One gets overstimulated by a lot of noise. What is the disability pass? What do you need to do to qualify? Does it really get you anything to make it worth the hassle (and possibly ruining the surprise)?

7. what kind of bag(s) is best to bring along? Planning to bring water bottles, sunscreen, sunglasses, battery packs, phone. A backpack or two would allow us to consolidate things and maybe toss in hats and extra socks. But fanny backs for each person would make make it easier to get things on rides but we'd have to limit what we bring.

Thank you for any advice you have to offer!

My husband and I are taking our three boys (teens) to Anaheim the week after Memorial Day and into the first week fo June. I've been before, but not for 30 years. Hubby has been to DW but not DL, kids have never been to either. So much has changed since the last time I went. The kids do not know we are going to Disney - it's going to be a surprise. I've got a lot of questions:

1. How does that time of year compare to Spring Break? This past week the wait times have gone through the roof and it's making me very nervous.

2. I bought a 3-day pass with Genie + and reserved 2 days at DL and 1 at DCA. I'm second guessing my choice of days. I was avoiding May 31 and June 2 due to grad nites, but was really torn between Sat., June 1 or Tues., June 4 for our last day. Which will be better? I've heard conflicting advice on going on weekends - some say they're busier while others say many magic key holders are blocked so it's less busy. I've also heard while Tuesdays are often low crowd days, that particular Tuesday is historically super packed due to it being one of the last days magic key holders can go. Thoughts?

3. I currently have the app installed and have all our tickets on it. Can everyone get it in with my phone or does each person need a phone with the app? Same question applies to using Genie + - can I manage it all myself? Can I have hubby install it and log in with my credentials to help? Was planning to have the kids leave their phones at the hotel to avoid losing them but didn't know if they would need them.

4. The two big rides I know we all want to ride are Rise of the Resistance and Radiator Springs Racers (like everyone else). What's the best way to ride them without having to stand in line for hours or fork over more money for ILLs? Should we rope drop or is that what everyone else will be doing and we will still stand in super long lines anyway?

5. Is there a recommended itinerary or plan of attack to make the most of our days? Is it better to try and follow the shortest wait times or follow a path around the parks?

6. My two oldest kids are autistic. They are capable of walking all over and standing in lines, but won't like it. One gets overstimulated by a lot of noise. What is the disability pass? What do you need to do to qualify? Does it really get you anything to make it worth the hassle (and possibly ruining the surprise)?

7. what kind of bag(s) is best to bring along? Planning to bring water bottles, sunscreen, sunglasses, battery packs, phone. A backpack or two would allow us to consolidate things and maybe toss in hats and extra socks. But fanny backs for each person would make make it easier to get things on rides but we'd have to limit what we bring.

Freeze your water bottles! We like to freeze them, put them in insulated lunch boxes with a sandwich and snacks. Good for sitting waiting for parade and fireworks.

The DAS pass will be your friend. Google Disney accessibility pass for the web link. I was unable to post it.
Call 30 days in advance to set it up. I think they’ll give you a couple attractions reserved times and then you request the others in the app while in the park. You can do it on site but it does slow you down the first day by having to check in at guest services. You get one pass at a time and it works similar to making a genie+ reservation but basically you just get a return time for the attraction that equals the current stand by time. So if rise of the resistance is currently at 90 min then they’ll give you a return time of 90 min and you can wait somewhere else or go on other attractions during that time.once you scan in at the ride, then you can request another one. You can also use genie + as well and intersperse them. Enjoy!
If you do rope drop you can usually get a few things done before the lines get long. Save your genie+ reservations for later when the lines are long.

Definitely bring earplugs or headphones. For whatever reason the volume on rides at DLR is extreme. I thought maybe this was just me getting old but after a week at WDW I am certain this is an issue with DLR. Maybe all us west coasters are partially deaf?

Last edited:

I went May 30th-June 4th last year and it was great! The last day before passes were blocked was pretty busy, but nothing compared to when I went in October! The rest of the days (with Genie+) we didn't wait in a line over 20 minutes (when riding stand-by) and with rope-dropping we rode 5-6 rides in the first 2 hours no problem. You didn't mention if you were staying on property or not, but if you are...definitely take advantage of Early Entry. If you're not, I would start at the opposite park to rope-drop. I would also not waste time rope-dropping RSR or Rise. Rise is often not open at park open and everyone runs to RSR...but I'm also the one who has no problem forking over the money for ILL so I may not be the one to ask!

Grad Nites can affect crowds, but more "who" not how many. With 3 teenage boys, you'll be fine but there is a lot more "teen" behavior that can be obnoxious. The grad groups were in the parks not just on Grad Nites. Just be prepared!

Everyone can get in with your app. My husband has the app logged in with my info...but I just do everything because I don't trust him (kidding, kinda). I do all the Genie+, mobile orders, etc.

We all take backpacks. I have a slightly larger "mini" one from a small shop that makes bag for the parks with ear holders and such and my husband and his daughter have Loungeflys. You can take your backpack/bags on every ride. There are also lockers available for rental in various areas on the park if you get tired of carrying everything around!

You didn't ask but the weather was amazing, sweatshirt in the morning and evening and shorts/t-shirt during the day.

Have the best time!!

(1) It's going to be around or a little bit busier than Spring Break since a lot of annual passes are blocked around Spring Break. So, Spring Break has a lot more tourists, while late May/early June will have more APs since several of the APs will be blocked around the second week of June. At least, that has been my experience. However, the good news: many APs don't focus on rides, but more the overall experience, so lines will only be Spring Break level.

(2) You mention one of your dates has been historical terrible. However, you can't really go by what was before the reopening. Things definitely have changed since the reopening (2021). Of course, you can expect always expect higher crowds on 3-day weekend, or holiday seasons, but on random weekdays and weekends, things may or may not be the same as pre-2020. All that being said, if you have park-hoppers, you can go back and forth if it starts getting busy at DCA with the Grad Night kids. If you don't have a park hopper, I'd go Disneyland on grad nights, and DCA on a non-Grad Night. Do be forewarned that Disneyland will be busier after grad night starts at DCA, as all the people being kicked out of DCA will come to DL if they have park hoppers.

(3) You can manage Genie+ for everyone on one phone. Hubs often does this. We usually load all the tickets on both of our phones so that either one of us can make G+ reservations. To use multiple tickets on one phone, you just swipe to scan each ticket. Quick and easy! It will also let you choose who wants to use G+ for whatever ride. As an example, let's say the kids want to do Incredicoaster, and you don't want to, when you are making the G+ reservation, it will ask you to check mark whomever wants to ride. That allows you to make a different ride reservation if you want to ride something calmer, like Little Mermaid.

(4) Everyone will attempt to rope drop both of those rides. Fresh Baked Disney on YouTube has some great videos about this, especially RotR. Within the last few months, he assessed the best times of day to ride it. I believe the eventual outcome was around 10am; the rope droppers will be through it by then. However, check out that video, because I could totally be remembering wrong.

(5) It's tricky to recommend a specific plan for touring the parks, as different plans work for different guests. We take our grandkids individually when they turn 7yo. So far, that's been 3 grandkids. With one, we had to do land-by-land; he'd see a ride and want to ride it, and then after we get off that ride, he would see another one in the same area and want to go on that, regardless of the wait. Another one was all about the short lines and would think nothing of crossing the whole park to ride something with a short line. Our grandson with autism wanted to take a lot of breaks between rides, and didn't necessarily want to cross the whole park for a specific ride, so we had to go land-by-land and take things more slowly.

(6) Like I said above, we have a grandson with autism, but obviously younger than your kiddo with it, and as you are well versed in, each child with autism is unique, and their symptoms aren't one-size-fits-all. I'd definitely recommend some noise-cancelling headphones or such. Personally, I'm easily overstimulated at the parks, so I wear Loop earplugs and love them. Definitely allows me to hear the atmosphere and sounds, but the constant chatter of my line-mates are a bit quieter. For me, the earplugs are less obvious, and much cooler during warm weather. As far as the disability pass, the refer to it as the Disability Access Service, or DAS. There's not a specific diagnosis that qualifies a person. One time a cast member told me, "Explain how the issue affects you like I'm a 5 year old," and so I've learned to just explain it like that and it goes pretty easily for me. We didn't have one for my autistic grandson, but I have one for myself due to an autoimmune disorder that affects the amount of time I can sit or stand still. I explain what happens when I have to stand still in a line that loads slowly, and they usually pass me through fairly easily. If it's a mobility issue, they will usually recommend a wheelchair or scooter instead of a DAS. However, the wheelchair or scooter basically gives you the same help as the DAS. To register for it online, you need the person needing the DAS present with you on the computer, which would ruin your surprise. I will sometimes go to register for it a few hours after opening, and lines will be shorter at City Hall at that point. The first few hours after opening are usually pretty chill and lines are usually pretty easy, so I don't need the DAS at that point.

(7) We carry a pretty small bag through the parks. We always rent a locker for all our extras-- our sweatshirts or jackets, our extra water bottles, back-up shoes, sunscreen, etc. So, in our around the park bag usually only has 1-2 water bottles (we share them in our family), a book for each of us (in case we get overstimulated and need to escape into our own little world), our wallet and sunglasses. When I used to carry a backpack, I always ended up hurting at the end of the day, so I've learned to pack light around the park.

All this being said, can we talk about the surprise aspect for just a moment? My youngest daughter (now 20, but 7 when the incident happened) is neuro-divergent. Not majorly affected; not impacted enough for a spectrum diagnosis, but definitely neuro-divergent with multiple struggles. I wanted to surprise her with a trip to DL for her 8th birthday. I had spent weeks talking with her about DL, the rides, the atmosphere, and would ask her questions about whatever (what she's most excited to ride when we can afford to go, what foods she wants to try, etc). Money was pretty tight, and she was fairly aware of that issue. I knew our tax return would be pretty impressive, so I planned to take her as soon as the return came back, and it would line up perfectly with her birthday. So, I reserved the hotel, bought the tickets, shopped for Disney themed clothes when she wasn't paying attention, etc.

I purposely planned her birthday party for the night before we flew to California. I was sooooo excited to surprise her. Her first present was a letter "from Minnie Mouse" (I had just typed it out at work). It listed things she would need to go to DL. She would need a ticket for DL, mouse ears, and a few other things. Her presents following that letter were each of the things the letter mentioned. She went over the letter multiple times, but didn't "get it." So, I finally told her we were flying out to California the next day, and then would go to DL all week. She bawled. She told me that was such a mean trick, and that we can't afford it, and that it's mean to tease her like that... what I had hoped would be a great surprise and present, she freaked out negatively. It took me, Grandpa, Auntie, Uncle and 2 good family friends to convince her that it wasn't a mean trick. The trip went great, but I'll never forget her reaction to the surprise. It broke my heart. We learned/realized more at that point that she's not a "surprise" kid-- she needs time to warm up to such a big idea, and time to really process it.

For her future trips. I'd "surprise" her, but I'd do the surprise weeks in advance. When we took her to WDW for her graduation trip, we told her a month ahead of time with a Mickey Mouse balloon, and letting her guess what it meant for her trip, and she immediately assumed DL. She was thrilled that it would be WDW instead. But it took her weeks to really prepare herself for going.

Of course, you know your kids best and how they would likely react to such a big idea. Just something to consider.

Sheesh, sorry about this novel of a reply!

(1) It's going to be around or a little bit busier than Spring Break since a lot of annual passes are blocked around Spring Break. So, Spring Break has a lot more tourists, while late May/early June will have more APs since several of the APs will be blocked around the second week of June. At least, that has been my experience. However, the good news: many APs don't focus on rides, but more the overall experience, so lines will only be Spring Break level.

(2) You mention one of your dates has been historical terrible. However, you can't really go by what was before the reopening. Things definitely have changed since the reopening (2021). Of course, you can expect always expect higher crowds on 3-day weekend, or holiday seasons, but on random weekdays and weekends, things may or may not be the same as pre-2020. All that being said, if you have park-hoppers, you can go back and forth if it starts getting busy at DCA with the Grad Night kids. If you don't have a park hopper, I'd go Disneyland on grad nights, and DCA on a non-Grad Night. Do be forewarned that Disneyland will be busier after grad night starts at DCA, as all the people being kicked out of DCA will come to DL if they have park hoppers.

(3) You can manage Genie+ for everyone on one phone. Hubs often does this. We usually load all the tickets on both of our phones so that either one of us can make G+ reservations. To use multiple tickets on one phone, you just swipe to scan each ticket. Quick and easy! It will also let you choose who wants to use G+ for whatever ride. As an example, let's say the kids want to do Incredicoaster, and you don't want to, when you are making the G+ reservation, it will ask you to check mark whomever wants to ride. That allows you to make a different ride reservation if you want to ride something calmer, like Little Mermaid.

(4) Everyone will attempt to rope drop both of those rides. Fresh Baked Disney on YouTube has some great videos about this, especially RotR. Within the last few months, he assessed the best times of day to ride it. I believe the eventual outcome was around 10am; the rope droppers will be through it by then. However, check out that video, because I could totally be remembering wrong.

(5) It's tricky to recommend a specific plan for touring the parks, as different plans work for different guests. We take our grandkids individually when they turn 7yo. So far, that's been 3 grandkids. With one, we had to do land-by-land; he'd see a ride and want to ride it, and then after we get off that ride, he would see another one in the same area and want to go on that, regardless of the wait. Another one was all about the short lines and would think nothing of crossing the whole park to ride something with a short line. Our grandson with autism wanted to take a lot of breaks between rides, and didn't necessarily want to cross the whole park for a specific ride, so we had to go land-by-land and take things more slowly.

(6) Like I said above, we have a grandson with autism, but obviously younger than your kiddo with it, and as you are well versed in, each child with autism is unique, and their symptoms aren't one-size-fits-all. I'd definitely recommend some noise-cancelling headphones or such. Personally, I'm easily overstimulated at the parks, so I wear Loop earplugs and love them. Definitely allows me to hear the atmosphere and sounds, but the constant chatter of my line-mates are a bit quieter. For me, the earplugs are less obvious, and much cooler during warm weather. As far as the disability pass, the refer to it as the Disability Access Service, or DAS. There's not a specific diagnosis that qualifies a person. One time a cast member told me, "Explain how the issue affects you like I'm a 5 year old," and so I've learned to just explain it like that and it goes pretty easily for me. We didn't have one for my autistic grandson, but I have one for myself due to an autoimmune disorder that affects the amount of time I can sit or stand still. I explain what happens when I have to stand still in a line that loads slowly, and they usually pass me through fairly easily. If it's a mobility issue, they will usually recommend a wheelchair or scooter instead of a DAS. However, the wheelchair or scooter basically gives you the same help as the DAS. To register for it online, you need the person needing the DAS present with you on the computer, which would ruin your surprise. I will sometimes go to register for it a few hours after opening, and lines will be shorter at City Hall at that point. The first few hours after opening are usually pretty chill and lines are usually pretty easy, so I don't need the DAS at that point.

(7) We carry a pretty small bag through the parks. We always rent a locker for all our extras-- our sweatshirts or jackets, our extra water bottles, back-up shoes, sunscreen, etc. So, in our around the park bag usually only has 1-2 water bottles (we share them in our family), a book for each of us (in case we get overstimulated and need to escape into our own little world), our wallet and sunglasses. When I used to carry a backpack, I always ended up hurting at the end of the day, so I've learned to pack light around the park.

All this being said, can we talk about the surprise aspect for just a moment? My youngest daughter (now 20, but 7 when the incident happened) is neuro-divergent. Not majorly affected; not impacted enough for a spectrum diagnosis, but definitely neuro-divergent with multiple struggles. I wanted to surprise her with a trip to DL for her 8th birthday. I had spent weeks talking with her about DL, the rides, the atmosphere, and would ask her questions about whatever (what she's most excited to ride when we can afford to go, what foods she wants to try, etc). Money was pretty tight, and she was fairly aware of that issue. I knew our tax return would be pretty impressive, so I planned to take her as soon as the return came back, and it would line up perfectly with her birthday. So, I reserved the hotel, bought the tickets, shopped for Disney themed clothes when she wasn't paying attention, etc.

I purposely planned her birthday party for the night before we flew to California. I was sooooo excited to surprise her. Her first present was a letter "from Minnie Mouse" (I had just typed it out at work). It listed things she would need to go to DL. She would need a ticket for DL, mouse ears, and a few other things. Her presents following that letter were each of the things the letter mentioned. She went over the letter multiple times, but didn't "get it." So, I finally told her we were flying out to California the next day, and then would go to DL all week. She bawled. She told me that was such a mean trick, and that we can't afford it, and that it's mean to tease her like that... what I had hoped would be a great surprise and present, she freaked out negatively. It took me, Grandpa, Auntie, Uncle and 2 good family friends to convince her that it wasn't a mean trick. The trip went great, but I'll never forget her reaction to the surprise. It broke my heart. We learned/realized more at that point that she's not a "surprise" kid-- she needs time to warm up to such a big idea, and time to really process it.

For her future trips. I'd "surprise" her, but I'd do the surprise weeks in advance. When we took her to WDW for her graduation trip, we told her a month ahead of time with a Mickey Mouse balloon, and letting her guess what it meant for her trip, and she immediately assumed DL. She was thrilled that it would be WDW instead. But it took her weeks to really prepare herself for going.

Of course, you know your kids best and how they would likely react to such a big idea. Just something to consider.

Sheesh, sorry about this novel of a reply!
Thank you so much for your reply and insight! I do realize after looking into the DAS that it would ruin the surprise. My husband is the one who is insisting it should be a surprise. The kids know we're going to Anaheim, but don't think we're going to Disney. Hubby wants to tell them after we get there. I'm sure they will be thrilled. But I'm trying to convince him we can tell them ahead of time and still make it a special "surprise" somehow. It would help a lot in the planning if at least the one kid knows. My autistic kiddo is sensitive to noises, but also some movement. I think it would help if I could let him watch videos of some of the rides so he knows what to expect and decide if he's up to those or not.

Thanks for the tip on the Loop earplugs. I'll look into those, although I'm not sure he will tolerate something in his ears. I've been trying to get him to use earbuds forever. But we could bring some over-the-ear muffs if needed. Do the Loop ones need an app or are they able to just be used alone? I may look into some for myself!

The historically bad dates I was referring to were post-pandemic. The past two years, it looks like the Monday and Tuesday the week after Memorial day (a full week after) were really crowded, so I'm thinking we should avoid that Tuesday and go the Saturday instead but I keep second-guessing myself.

I went May 30th-June 4th last year and it was great! The last day before passes were blocked was pretty busy, but nothing compared to when I went in October! The rest of the days (with Genie+) we didn't wait in a line over 20 minutes (when riding stand-by) and with rope-dropping we rode 5-6 rides in the first 2 hours no problem. You didn't mention if you were staying on property or not, but if you are...definitely take advantage of Early Entry. If you're not, I would start at the opposite park to rope-drop. I would also not waste time rope-dropping RSR or Rise. Rise is often not open at park open and everyone runs to RSR...but I'm also the one who has no problem forking over the money for ILL so I may not be the one to ask!

Grad Nites can affect crowds, but more "who" not how many. With 3 teenage boys, you'll be fine but there is a lot more "teen" behavior that can be obnoxious. The grad groups were in the parks not just on Grad Nites. Just be prepared!

Everyone can get in with your app. My husband has the app logged in with my info...but I just do everything because I don't trust him (kidding, kinda). I do all the Genie+, mobile orders, etc.

We all take backpacks. I have a slightly larger "mini" one from a small shop that makes bag for the parks with ear holders and such and my husband and his daughter have Loungeflys. You can take your backpack/bags on every ride. There are also lockers available for rental in various areas on the park if you get tired of carrying everything around!

You didn't ask but the weather was amazing, sweatshirt in the morning and evening and shorts/t-shirt during the day.

Have the best time!!
Thank you for the weather input!! I totally forgot to ask about that. I was wondering if we should bring hoodies or maybe just long-sleeve tees to wear over our shirts or if we would need anything. That might make the decision about backpack vs fanny pack.

We are not staying on property. We are staying at the Worldmark Anaheim, which looks to be about a mile away. Hoping we can walk to and from - sounds like the busses in the area are super crowded. I think the first two days I have us reserved we are at the park that is not doing early entry.

1. time of year: You'll be at Disneyland during my #1 favorite time of year to go! this is because not everybody's school year is done. You'll encounter a lot of people from AZ and UT though. We have been to DL many times in the Tues-Fri the week of Memorial Day.

2. I could make a good argument for last day being either Sat or Tues. Go with your gut.

3. your 2 autistic kids might find having their phones on them to be a useful way to disengage & destress if they're having a rough moment. Especially if there are games on their phones that they like to play at times like that.

4. It's helpful for each adult to have the DL app on their phone. And yes, you could have your DH log into the app on his phone w/your login ID. Really really helpful if you get separated or if somebody needs a break at the hotel and you all plan on meeting up together back in the park later.

5. Go look up Disneyland Daily's website. Lots of helpful itineraries and strategies for minimizing wait times. Since 2 of your kids are autistic, they will qualify for DAS. Up to 5 other people can be linked to 1 person's DAS pass. It all gets linked together on their tickets. So this would work if you & DH have 4 children, for example. Cannot have more than 6 people total use 1 of the 6 people's DAS.

6. You don't have to sign up for DAS ahead of time. You can wait and do it there on your 1st park day. Everyone who's going to be linked to the DAS person's ticket has to be physically present together, though. Friend of mine always gets DAS because of a physical disability. It, honestly, makes it possible for him to enjoy himself. Between DAS and Genie+ and a rudimentary knowledge of what stuff to go on at different times of day, it's very manageable.

7. what ages are your kids?

Lots of great advice already. I found SoCal Daily really helpful. I used her touring plan for DL and it worked great. Day 1, eight rides before lunch. Got to ride Big Thunder and Space 3 times (and this all included rider switch). I didn't feel like we rushed anything but the kids got to ride the rides they wanted.

For DCA, I wouldn't rope drop RSR. It was down the first 90 minutes when we were there a month ago. We hit Pixar Pier first, and grabbed a LL for Webslingers. I kept an eye on the app and when it was up we weren't too far away. Only a 45 minute wait, which I consider awesome for RSR. I was willing to pay for ILL but 45 minutes felt like it went fast.

I'm no help on the backpack front. We have 3 kids so a backpack is a must. We love meeting characters so we had our autograph books and sharpies readily avilable.

Thank you so much for your reply and insight! I do realize after looking into the DAS that it would ruin the surprise. My husband is the one who is insisting it should be a surprise. The kids know we're going to Anaheim, but don't think we're going to Disney. Hubby wants to tell them after we get there. I'm sure they will be thrilled. But I'm trying to convince him we can tell them ahead of time and still make it a special "surprise" somehow. It would help a lot in the planning if at least the one kid knows. My autistic kiddo is sensitive to noises, but also some movement. I think it would help if I could let him watch videos of some of the rides so he knows what to expect and decide if he's up to those or not.

Thanks for the tip on the Loop earplugs. I'll look into those, although I'm not sure he will tolerate something in his ears. I've been trying to get him to use earbuds forever. But we could bring some over-the-ear muffs if needed. Do the Loop ones need an app or are they able to just be used alone? I may look into some for myself!

The historically bad dates I was referring to were post-pandemic. The past two years, it looks like the Monday and Tuesday the week after Memorial day (a full week after) were really crowded, so I'm thinking we should avoid that Tuesday and go the Saturday instead but I keep second-guessing myself.
The Loop earplugs are just earplugs on their own, no app or music or white noise coming through them. They are completely magical. I take them everywhere with me now, haha. They are small, fit in the ear canal just enough, and the outer grabby/pully part sits in the ear bowl itself and is just a simple circle, so there's nothing really poking out. https://us.loopearplugs.com/ Hopefully the link works so you can see them better. I use the Engage plugs for general noise, and if I'm super sensitive to whatever noise is happening, I add the Loop Mute, which just provides a little bump up in the noise control. They've made it so much easier to do fun stuff-- I've used them at concerts, at the trampoline park, at a 3 year old's b-day party at a gymnastics place, lol, you get the idea! They are spendy ($40/pr or so), but they are so much better than the cheapy earplugs. No, I don't work for them... just a thrilled customer who wants to let the noise-sensitive world know about it!

When we were attempting to plan my daughter's Disneyland trip, we did a whole lot of "If we went to Disneyland, would you want to do x or y" and that gave me a lot of basic help planning. But it's definitely so much easier to have them involved more in the planning!

I have no doubt you will all have a great time! Make sure to check back in afterwards and let us know how it went!

Just to clarify for people potentially finding this thread later:
DAS is usually limited to the DAS user and 5 more people in their immediate party. However, in very specific, infrequent cases, Cast Members are allowed to make a judgement call. Most commonly, it's when there's more than 5+ kids in the family with 2 parents. So, if you think your family won't qualify for DAS because the immediate family is over 6 people, ask anyway. However, this doesn't count for Granny, Gramps, Auntie, Uncle, other Auntie, Uncle #2, Mom, Dad, and 5 kids. In a case like that, they'd need to separate it into multiple groups and each group would need to have someone that qualifies for DAS.

Disney App - both adults should have it on their phones and play with it before you go so familiar with it, it's super nice (shows rides, ride times, order food, restroom locations etc. but need to practice so not learning it there.

Phone Charger: Bring a lightweight phone charger to charge both your phones (this could stay in the locker as a backup for most of the day). Most phones need a recharge to make it all day at Disneyland.

Lockers - as far as carrying a lot of stuff, there are three locker locations, one between the two parks and one within each park not too far from the entrance - $7 per day will hold morning or evening sweaters, extra water, sunscreen, snacks etc. A great investment vs carrying everything.

Buses - you can grab the ARTS bus that goes right Disney and lets you off at a great spot near security, very reasonable and has an App that shows you in real time where the bus is on the route. You'll love that bus vs walking to or from the park when tired. One of the best values in Anaheim, clean, safe etc. the App for the buses is A-Waywego. Play with that one ahead of time too - might be the easiest App I've ever used. You can buy tickets ahead of time - but honestly, I've never seen them turn away a confused rider or family going to Disneyland ;)

The Loop earplugs are just earplugs on their own, no app or music or white noise coming through them. They are completely magical. I take them everywhere with me now, haha. They are small, fit in the ear canal just enough, and the outer grabby/pully part sits in the ear bowl itself and is just a simple circle, so there's nothing really poking out. https://us.loopearplugs.com/ Hopefully the link works so you can see them better. I use the Engage plugs for general noise, and if I'm super sensitive to whatever noise is happening, I add the Loop Mute, which just provides a little bump up in the noise control. They've made it so much easier to do fun stuff-- I've used them at concerts, at the trampoline park, at a 3 year old's b-day party at a gymnastics place, lol, you get the idea! They are spendy ($40/pr or so), but they are so much better than the cheapy earplugs. No, I don't work for them... just a thrilled customer who wants to let the noise-sensitive world know about it!

When we were attempting to plan my daughter's Disneyland trip, we did a whole lot of "If we went to Disneyland, would you want to do x or y" and that gave me a lot of basic help planning. But it's definitely so much easier to have them involved more in the planning!

I have no doubt you will all have a great time! Make sure to check back in afterwards and let us know how it went!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I just ordered mine…been wearing Eargasm ones ever since my menieres came on…had never even heard of these. I feel so disconnected with my Eargasm ones…I can’t wait to try these out! Thanks so much for sharing the tip! You just never know what great advice you will find here!

I would 100% go Saturday June 1, instead of Tuesday June 4. We have been that exact time several years. We usually arrive the Saturday after memorial day around noon, head straight to the parks that day, and then we go to the parks daily and leave the parks mid- Wednesday afternoon to go elsewhere. That Saturday and Sunday are always great. That Monday and Tuesday are always a crowded mess. Wednesday the crowd lightens up a little again, but not as good as that Saturday and Sunday. The Enchant Key is blocked May 31, June 1, and June 2. It is then open June 3, 4, 5, and 6, and then it is blocked again until August 5. The parks will be flooded the 3rd and 4th with people getting a last visit in before the summer block.

I would 100% go Saturday June 1, instead of Tuesday June 4. We have been that exact time several years. We usually arrive the Saturday after memorial day around noon, head straight to the parks that day, and then we go to the parks daily and leave the parks mid- Wednesday afternoon to go elsewhere. That Saturday and Sunday are always great. That Monday and Tuesday are always a crowded mess. Wednesday the crowd lightens up a little again, but not as good as that Saturday and Sunday. The Enchant Key is blocked May 31, June 1, and June 2. It is then open June 3, 4, 5, and 6, and then it is blocked again until August 5. The parks will be flooded the 3rd and 4th with people getting a last visit in before the summer block.
Thank you!! I needed that reassurance that I was picking the right dates. We're planning to be at Disneyland Wednesday, May 29, DCA on Thursday, May 30 and then DL again on the 1st.

As others have noted, you have picked great dates. The key to successful date picking for DLR by an out of town tourist is to look at the MK block out calendar. The more passes blocked, the better your crowd experience. The last hurrah in June before the two lowest passes are blocked all summer is always nuts. Add in the expiration of the SoCal tickets and it makes it even crazier.

In 2018, for the first and only time, DLR extended the annual pass block out dates a week later into June. They announced it about a week in advance. I picked dates in June intentionally to avoid the two lowest passes. Needless to say, it was insanity with all the passes unblocked right before being blocked the rest of summer. I vowed to never again go in June and always go in July when they're blocked all month! Picking a holiday weekend like Memorial Day is a great hedge against this. There's no way DLR is unblocking passes on a holiday weekend.

The last couple of years DLR has been announcing summer ticket offers for locals too, so we'll see what happens this year. They probably will announce in the next couple of months if they are doing another SoCal ticket offer for this summer.

You have gotten great advice, I only have one comment, similar to what lalasmama said. You know your kids best, but sometimes surprises aren't always awesome. We surprised our kids once and they didn't love the element of the surprise. We had a scavenger hunt where they found clues and had to put together a puzzle-it was epically thought out. I anticipated a big excited reaction. What I got was confusion and then stress. I have school, I can't miss days. that kind of thing. We learned our oldest doesn't like surprises (to be fair, neither do I). I always read posts about these elaborate surprises and amazing reactions, but that isn't how everyone reacts and sometimes a surprise is a let down for you (trying to surprise them, the disappointed with the reaction). Not saying don't do it, but wanted to say if they don't react the way you expect, it is ok, it doesn't ruin the trip and everything still works out.

You have gotten great advice, I only have one comment, similar to what lalasmama said. You know your kids best, but sometimes surprises aren't always awesome. We surprised our kids once and they didn't love the element of the surprise. We had a scavenger hunt where they found clues and had to put together a puzzle-it was epically thought out. I anticipated a big excited reaction. What I got was confusion and then stress. I have school, I can't miss days. that kind of thing. We learned our oldest doesn't like surprises (to be fair, neither do I). I always read posts about these elaborate surprises and amazing reactions, but that isn't how everyone reacts and sometimes a surprise is a let down for you (trying to surprise them, the disappointed with the reaction). Not saying don't do it, but wanted to say if they don't react the way you expect, it is ok, it doesn't ruin the trip and everything still works out.
Great advice. I'm excited to see when people have a positive experience with a surprise like this, but the experience in our house would be more like yours (i.e. not taken well)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter