First timers list of stuff

Just another note for people going to WDW for the first time.Try to use the WDW transportation options as much as possible.The monorails and various forms of boat transportation are so much fun-I consider them attractions and ride them often just for fun.:) I think a lot of people who are new to WDW are not even aware of all the boat routes available.One of my favorite boat routes is from Port Orleans-Riverside to Downtown Disney-especially at night-Downtown Disney is really pretty at night from out on the water.:)

Just another note for people going to WDW for the first time.Try to use the WDW transportation options as much as possible.The monorails and various forms of boat transportation are so much fun-I consider them attractions and ride them often just for fun.:) I think a lot of people who are new to WDW are not even aware of all the boat routes available.One of my favorite boat routes is from Port Orleans-Riverside to Downtown Disney-especially at night-Downtown Disney is really pretty at night from out on the water.:)

I agree. Kids love the monorails, ferries, and boats. One of my nephew's favorite things at WDW is the monorail.

So what if people laugh at my excel spreadsheets, 15 page Word document of tips, and tub of "for the next Disney trip" items. When friends are planning a trips, the inevitably come to us planners for advice AND we have the best vacations!

As for other tips - If you have kids, even up to 8 or so, don't underestimate the value of a stroller. Tired legs make for loud whiners and less fun, especially if you plan "commando" days. They can also double as a place to store souveniers if you can't send them back to your room. Also for my kids, I got double sided velcro and wrote my name on and cell phone number on one side then folded it in half through their shoelaces.

For autographs, I cut a bunch of 6x6 squares (including one heavy cardboard one) and threw them in a manilla envelope with a sharpie. When we met a character, we gave them one sheet and the sharpie to sign with. When we got home, I used the unused squares as matts for photographs and using some stickers and 6x6 toploading albums put the photograph on one side and the signature on the other. The kids had great and EASY albums to show friends their trip in less than an hour.

Take a small chamois cloth - you can find it in the automotive section - to dry off wet seats, bleachers or yourself. They are small, hold amazing amounts of water and can be wrung out to dry in short order.

Wear good shoes and have a decent back-up pair for when the first pair gets wet from rain or ride.

Last, if you aren't REALLY used to walking alot, walk a few miles a few times a week in the month before you go. You will be able to do and enjoy doing so much more if you can keep up your pace. You'll NEVER see it all in one trip, but most of us like to try!

Not to be a downer, but I read on one of the other boards that a couple of people are having issues with the baggilini. In particular there is an adjustment piece that one gal said cut into her shoulder. If I can find the post I'll drop it back in on this thread. :goodvibes

Great tips. We are going at the end of March for the first time with kids (17,9,8 and 6). Are fanny packs better than backpacks? If so, why?

IMHO, I think fanny packs are great for kids -- big enough to fit the essentials, but small enough to not let them pack the kitchen sink. I also like them because it keeps everything in front of you (i.e., credit cards, cash, IDs, etc.). I'm a little leary of a backpack, for that reason alone, but have jumped on the bandwagon and ordered a Baggalini for myself. Last time I used a fanny pack, but I felt the need to take so much junk with me, that it was the size of a small backpack! Not very appealing on a Pooh sized woman, but I'm not looking for a modeling contract, so who cares!?

So what if people laugh at my excel spreadsheets, 15 page Word document of tips, and tub of "for the next Disney trip" items. When friends are planning a trips, the inevitably come to us planners for advice AND we have the best vacations!

As for other tips - If you have kids, even up to 8 or so, don't underestimate the value of a stroller. Tired legs make for loud whiners and less fun, especially if you plan "commando" days. They can also double as a place to store souveniers if you can't send them back to your room. Also for my kids, I got double sided velcro and wrote my name on and cell phone number on one side then folded it in half through their shoelaces.

For autographs, I cut a bunch of 6x6 squares (including one heavy cardboard one) and threw them in a manilla envelope with a sharpie. When we met a character, we gave them one sheet and the sharpie to sign with. When we got home, I used the unused squares as matts for photographs and using some stickers and 6x6 toploading albums put the photograph on one side and the signature on the other. The kids had great and EASY albums to show friends their trip in less than an hour.

Take a small chamois cloth - you can find it in the automotive section - to dry off wet seats, bleachers or yourself. They are small, hold amazing amounts of water and can be wrung out to dry in short order.

Wear good shoes and have a decent back-up pair for when the first pair gets wet from rain or ride.

Last, if you aren't REALLY used to walking alot, walk a few miles a few times a week in the month before you go. You will be able to do and enjoy doing so much more if you can keep up your pace. You'll NEVER see it all in one trip, but most of us like to try!

I'm an OCD trip planner too!!!

I love the chamois cloth tip!

I booked four non-stop round trip tickets for July, thru Orbitz. I think I paid about $130 each. We are flying out of Newark, NJ.

Totally agree. A friend of mine just got back from there and told me that her dh used his cell phones pedometer at the parks this time, they walked on average 13 miles per day and were there for 4 days. Of course they go several times a year and know where most things are, so no doubling back etc. I wonder how much higher that average would be for us newbies. :scared1:

I am also an obsessive planner. We are going in September and I told my DH last night that I am already starting to plan...I have to make dining reservations, right? (I may have imagined I heard him groan...if only my dh could share in my obsession)

I love the bagallini. I have one and got my DH one as well. They were great! We were able to take them on all of the rides and they didn't get in the way.

I also pack outfits in individual ziploc bags. That way I can tell the kids to go pick out their outfit and I know that it is something I like :) It makes the kids feel independent and I don't waste time fighting over what shirt I want them to wear.

We had "dog tags" made for each child at Walmart with cell phone numbers on them. We attached them with a big safety pin to their shorts so if they got lost hopefully we could be contacted right away. My kids will be 6, 5, and 3 so they don't know cell phone numbers yet...

For anyone driving down 95, check out the transportation section of wdwinfo.com. It has great info...gas, lodging, food and other information by exit. This was great for planning stops on the way to Florida (from Virginia).

This time we will all have disposable ponchos. The last time we went I bought the kids regular ponchos and I decided this time disposable ponchos would take up less room and we can just throw them away. Boy was my dh glad I was such a great planner when I made sure he wasn't wet at Disney :rotfl:

My last tip is to take a pop up laundry hamper :)

Oh how I hope September will get here fast!

September will get here faster than you know it. We booked our trip (for this May) late last summer and we're already down to 67 days. Have fun planning your trip.
:wave:

I lucked into it. Disney sends out discounts to a tiny percentage of people; no one is really sure how they determine who gets one and who doesn't. Some people think it may help to order the trip planning DVD and/or try some pricing at the reservations site.

But anyone can qualify for the AAA discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter