• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First timers... conflicted on skipping HS

ShelbyK

Mouseketeer
We r headed to WDW the first week of May with a 10 year old boy, 8 year old girl, and 23 month old.. the plan I have had all along was 3 days at MK, 1 Epcot and 1 AK. I keep debating on hitting HS instead of our 3rd MK day and I know my older 2 will enjoy star tours, ToT and meeting the star wars characters but they don't like coasters so those would really be the only 2 rides. My husband wont ride anything at HS. Toy story will be standby only which will probably be terrible and we wont be rope dropping that day. I feel like there will be nothing for my toddler to do and I would feel bad making my husband keep taking her to different shows while me n the older kids do our thing (He says he doesnt mind but I would still feel bad). I even tried to get a lunch or dinner ressie at Sci-fi thinking that would be another cool experience for us all together but they r all booked.( Not interested in 50s prime time) We r planning on coming back in 2019 so should we just wait? I need to make a for sure decision either way before our FP day

Personally I would still go. HS to me is still a half day park (until the new lands open), but I think Star Tours, ToT, and TSM are all worth it. Nothing wrong with splitting up. There's a fair bit to do for the young one. Disney Junior show and meet and greet, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast show, Frozen show, character meets. Plus secretly as a Dad, I have to say I personally love any 1:1 time I get with my daughter, it's a special thing to me. Also I would assume the 23 mo old still naps. Dad can take her and do the kiddo stuff, and then head back for naptime at the room (what dad doesn't love naps?) and catch up with you guys for dinner or something.

If he says he's cool with it, and he's usually honest about stuff like this, I'd take him up on it. I'd be cool with it if I was in his position.

Hollywood Studios post Toy Story and Star Wars land are going to be nuts, expect insane crowds on your 2019 trip. I would go now before that stuff opens and enjoy whats there now.

Well, it's all personal taste, but HS has some great stuff in it and the impact of the construction is somewhat overblown. It is show heavy, so if you aren't to into that, then it could be an issue. A lot of us here have seen these shows over and over so are sometimes dismissive of them as a real draw, but if you've never seen them then they are brand new to you. If you have Star Wars lovers, then the Galactic Spectacular is a must do. Fantasmic! is also a great show, though it is hard to have time for both in one night. For the young one, the there is the Disney Junior show. So, writing off RnRC you still have at HS:

Rides:
Tower of Terror
Toy Story Mania
Star Tours

Shows:
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Frozen Sing Along
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular
Muppet-Vision 3-D (edited to add this)
Fantasmic!
Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular (plus the March of the First Order and other Star Wars show they do on center stage throughout the day)
Jedi Training Academy (and kids can participate!)

Miscellaneous:
Star Wars Launch Bay - exhibits from the movie
Walt Disney Presents - exhibits from Disney history and a short film about Walt or a movie preview for an upcoming film - film is optional either way

Yeah, it's only three rides, but it's three of the best rides. Ideally, if you had Park Hoppers, then HS makes for a good half day even if just to see one of the nighttime shows. The decision is yours and it's certainly reasonable to call a skip after considering all the facts. You'll have fun either way. Enjoy your trip and welcome to the Dis (love your avatar too)!

Last edited:
just wait. in your circumstances, that's my advice. your situation is highly specific, so you may get other advice, but seriously, just wait.

We'd never skip HS, but that's because DH & DS are big Star Wars fans. Just meeting star wars characters, riding Star Tours (which both kids love) & Toy Story are worth it to us if we have 4 days - one day for each park. With you having 5 days I'd go to HS. 3 days at MK would actually be too many for us!

For your toddler - the Disney Jr. Show is adorable for that age! He'd also probably like the Muppets Show & maybe even Ariel? He could also meet Jake. Your older kids would probably like Indiana Jones. My DD loved the Beauty & the Beast Show and the Frozen Sing Along as well. We also met Buzz & Woody which my kids enjoyed.

I also agree with the fact that 2019 trip HS is going to be crazy busy. If you've done these items then you will have time to actually see all the new stuff next trip & only hit your absolute favorites that you've already seen.

We r headed to WDW the first week of May with a 10 year old boy, 8 year old girl, and 23 month old.. the plan I have had all along was 3 days at MK, 1 Epcot and 1 AK. I keep debating on hitting HS instead of our 3rd MK day and I know my older 2 will enjoy star tours, ToT and meeting the star wars characters but they don't like coasters so those would really be the only 2 rides. My husband wont ride anything at HS. Toy story will be standby only which will probably be terrible and we wont be rope dropping that day. I feel like there will be nothing for my toddler to do and I would feel bad making my husband keep taking her to different shows while me n the older kids do our thing (He says he doesnt mind but I would still feel bad). I even tried to get a lunch or dinner ressie at Sci-fi thinking that would be another cool experience for us all together but they r all booked.( Not interested in 50s prime time) We r planning on coming back in 2019 so should we just wait? I need to make a for sure decision either way before our FP day
I wouldn't skip it. We still spend a whole day a HS. I still love that park.

Personally, I love Hollywood studios! I would fast pass Toy Story midway mania, as it is one of the most fun rides we do there. Your toddler can ride this ride as well so everyone gets a chance to do it together. Also, some of the shows are really fun! If you go to beauty and the beast, watch the sign language interpreters as they are fantastic. You may also want to look up the Jedi training for your 10 and 8 year old. There are also character meet and greets there you won't get anywhere else. You could also try to get an ADR at Scifi around the 30 day mark because people cancel their trips around that time. Or you could go on touring plans and they can watch for a reservation for you. Overall I wouldn't miss HS for anything but I do know lots of people who don't feel that way. So my advice (for what it's worth, LOL) is don't skip it!

Personally, I love Hollywood studios! I would fast pass Toy Story midway mania, as it is one of the most fun rides we do there. Your toddler can ride this ride as well so everyone gets a chance to do it together. Also, some of the shows are really fun! If you go to beauty and the beast, watch the sign language interpreters as they are fantastic. You may also want to look up the Jedi training for your 10 and 8 year old. There are also character meet and greets there you won't get anywhere else. You could also try to get an ADR at Scifi around the 30 day mark because people cancel their trips around that time. Or you could go on touring plans and they can watch for a reservation for you. Overall I wouldn't miss HS for anything but I do know lots of people who don't feel that way. So my advice (for what it's worth, LOL) is don't skip it!
We cant FP Toy story since they will have it as standby only in preparation of toy story land.. thats part of my reason for being hesitant

I would go 1 day at HS and 2 at MK. There are still things worth taking a half of day to go see. The fireworks show is amazing! There is the Indiana Jones show I'm sure your husband would like. Is the Muppets show still open? That is one you all would enjoy.

Ideally, I would recommend park hopping to get a 1/2 day at HS and then 2 1/2 at MK. If that is not an option, then to me the key to your specific situation is TSMM will be standby only. I'm assuming you are going during the upcoming fp closure, which is also closing one of the tracks so standby will be even worse than usual. Based on that and you figure you would only enjoy one or two other attractions, then I would not spend an entire day of 5 parks days there.

Personally I would still go. HS to me is still a half day park (until the new lands open), but I think Star Tours, ToT, and TSM are all worth it. Nothing wrong with splitting up. There's a fair bit to do for the young one. Disney Junior show and meet and greet, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast show, Frozen show, character meets. Plus secretly as a Dad, I have to say I personally love any 1:1 time I get with my daughter, it's a special thing to me. Also I would assume the 23 mo old still naps. Dad can take her and do the kiddo stuff, and then head back for naptime at the room (what dad doesn't love naps?) and catch up with you guys for dinner or something.

If he says he's cool with it, and he's usually honest about stuff like this, I'd take him up on it. I'd be cool with it if I was in his position.

Hollywood Studios post Toy Story and Star Wars land are going to be nuts, expect insane crowds on your 2019 trip. I would go now before that stuff opens and enjoy whats there now.

Yes he is being honest and doesnt mind watching her alone but its hard to tell before we get ther if she will even sit through shows. He does get flustered in crowds and gets some anxiety but nothing too terrible... maybe ill discuss it with him more and make sure hes got a plan in place if we do go

We cant FP Toy story since they will have it as standby only in preparation of toy story land.. thats part of my reason for being hesitant

Honestly, without FP being offered at all the line for TSMM will move much faster. It may not be so bad as you think.

Ideally, I would recommend park hopping to get a 1/2 day at HS and then 2 1/2 at MK. If that is not an option, then to me the key to your specific situation is TSMM will be standby only. I'm assuming you are going during the upcoming fp closure, which is also closing one of the tracks so standby will be even worse than usual. Based on that and you figure you would only enjoy one or two other attractions, then I would not spend an entire day of 5 parks days there.

Ya I feel like we r spending 400 bucks to ride tower of terror and meet kylo ren.. which sounds awesome but I duno if i would feel like it was worth one of our days. When we return in 2019 it will be in May again so before the star wars craziness

We spent three half days there (park hoppers), and it's the only one of the four parks that I feel we didn't finish.

I'm guessing you are doing 5-Day Base Tickets? If so, I wouldn't disagree with your decision to skip it other than I personally wouldn't want to do MK 3 times in one trip. 2 Days has always been plenty for me an my family, but to each their own. I would say that if your 2yr old likes the Disney Jr. characters HS has a bunch of them to include the Disney Jr show which is actually pretty cool, and of course the Frozen, Beauty and Beast, and Little Mermaid shows I would venture to guess would entertain them pretty well too. You will probably miss the Toy Story Land opening, but the ride that is there is cool if you can FP it. You can also FP Star Tours, and then just do Stand By for ToT. We aren't a huge fan of any of the dining options at HS, although the one we would choose would be 50's Prime Time which you already said you had no interest so basically we on the same page there. I guess what I'm saying is that although it is basically half of a park at the moment, there are still some things there that are enjoyable and it could be day where you go and have a good time and are able to turn in a little earlier. If you have Hoppers, I would definitely plan on doing it for half a day before going over to MK. 2019 with Toy Story Land and Star Wars Galaxy Edge will make HS an absolute nightmare. You might want to get in to enjoy the lower level crowds while you can...

I would go 1 day at HS and 2 at MK. There are still things worth taking a half of day to go see. The fireworks show is amazing! There is the Indiana Jones show I'm sure your husband would like. Is the Muppets show still open? That is one you all would enjoy.
We wouldn't be able to do the night time shows either on this day..we r leaving disney for a few days and going to Siesta Key and then coming back so our HS day would be a check-out day and we would want to be on the road by dinner time

Rough decision. I wasn't aware of the TSMM issues/didn't take those into consideration... that might make me lean towards skipping it. But that's me. We just got back from Disneyland last month, and I rode Guardians and Star Tours enough that I wouldn't go out of my was for just those 2 rids at HS.

If your only visiting for 5 days.... I could understand skipping it. Especially if you prefer to tour as a family and not split up.

I'm trying to put myself in your shoes, and I'm not sure what I would do. Good luck! I'd probably lean towards whatever the older kids wanted to do. If they were 110% adamant about the star wars stuff, I'd figure something out. My kids don't really care about star wars (yet) so they would be OK with skipping it.

I'm guessing you are doing 5-Day Base Tickets? If so, I wouldn't disagree with your decision to skip it other than I personally wouldn't want to do MK 3 times in one trip. 2 Days has always been plenty for me an my family, but to each their own. I would say that if your 2yr old likes the Disney Jr. characters HS has a bunch of them to include the Disney Jr show which is actually pretty cool, and of course the Frozen, Beauty and Beast, and Little Mermaid shows I would venture to guess would entertain them pretty well too. You will probably miss the Toy Story Land opening, but the ride that is there is cool if you can FP it. You can also FP Star Tours, and then just do Stand By for ToT. We aren't a huge fan of any of the dining options at HS, although the one we would choose would be 50's Prime Time which you already said you had no interest so basically we on the same page there. I guess what I'm saying is that although it is basically half of a park at the moment, there are still some things there that are enjoyable and it could be day where you go and have a good time and are able to turn in a little earlier. If you have Hoppers, I would definitely plan on doing it for half a day before going over to MK. 2019 with Toy Story Land and Star Wars Galaxy Edge will make HS an absolute nightmare. You might want to get in to enjoy the lower level crowds while you can...

No hoppers unfortunately... the 3 days at MK is mainly so we can have a very relaxed pace with the toddler and still get to spend time at WL pool during the day

Rough decision. I wasn't aware of the TSMM issues/didn't take those into consideration... that might make me lean towards skipping it. But that's me. We just got back from Disneyland last month, and I rode Guardians and Star Tours enough that I wouldn't go out of my was for just those 2 rids at HS.

If your only visiting for 5 days.... I could understand skipping it. Especially if you prefer to tour as a family and not split up.

I'm trying to put myself in your shoes, and I'm not sure what I would do. Good luck! I'd probably lean towards whatever the older kids wanted to do. If they were 110% adamant about the star wars stuff, I'd figure something out. My kids don't really care about star wars (yet) so they would be OK with skipping it.

We don't mind splitting up occasionally and we will have to with the older ones going on things like Space mountain and FoP but at all the other parks it seems there are equally fun things for the other parent and toddler to do nearby ( kid rides, playgrounds etc.)

OP: your posts don't mention Jedi Training Academy. If your older two are Star Wars fans, Star Tours, Jedi Academy and the Launch Bay characters, along with TOT and perhaps Toy Story would make it worth the day (in my opinion). If they are not huge into Star Wars then sure skip it. But since your next trip is "pre-Star Wars land" anyway, I'd do those things now - before Toy Story land makes that park a zoo in 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter