• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First-timer Vet w/ PTSD: Need tips on where to de-stress

One thing to consider: there’s a “sick bay” of sorts near the head of Main Street. I’ve gone in there before when I wasn’t feeling well. There are padded bed-like places where you can stay for as long as you like. It’s exceptionally quiet there. Perhaps even more so than at a local hotel. And since your husband may feel unwell from the crowds, it’s not really a misuse of the service. If you/he explained the situation, i’d be very surprised if he weren’t made to feel more than welcome.

I just had a thought. big thunder mountain’s dynamite blast in the mine might trigger him. Maybe you can watch a ride through on you tube to look for potential issues on a variety of rides.

Last edited:
I thought of this as well and the Columbia also shoots off a cannon (at least, I believe they still do) that you can hear on Tom Sawyers island and Hungry bear and I would guess maybe even in Galaxy's Edge?...
Don't worry about hearing the Columbia's cannon inside Batuu. The acoustics in SWGE are amazing -- the whole land has been designed to keep out the noise of the outside world. You cannot hear the ROA, the train, the Columbia, or hardly anything outside SWGE once you are well inside Batuu. Do note that there are sounds of speeders/ships taking off at irregular intervals -- this can be quite loud, especially near the MF -- so just be aware in case this might cause any issues.
And F! has some small fireworks, too, at the end, which can be heard for some distance (easily in FL and TL) -- so your husband might hear them, but not be able to see them.

Last edited:
Great suggestions already for places to quietly hang out already posted. I just wanted to add to bring earplugs or noise cancelling headphones. My daughter always has her earplugs and rarely uses them, but they are packed with her for the times that she does need it - usually for rides where people scream too much.

One thing to consider: there’s a “sick bay” of sorts near the head of Main Street...
"Sick bay" = First Aid, located in DL off Main Street (when facing SBC, turn right toward the Little Red Wagon, just before Plaza Inn, and go to the end of the cul de sac -- First Aid will be on your right). All CMs there are RNs, are super friendly, and are ready to help. :)
In DCA, First Aid is on BVS, just past Oswald's, next door to Chamber of Commerce -- literally the door on the right.

The robotic Lincoln show on main street does have a loud cannon blast at one point that can be surprising.

The far end of the seating area at the Hungry Bear restaurant. Its a quiet, tranquil setting and usually not many people are around.

Be careful with this one. At times, the Columbia ship sails by and they shoot off a canon RIGHT as they pass Hungry Bear. It's unexpected and startling to me, and I don't have PTSD issues. My husband does, though. I would be aware that this may happen and keep an eye out for the sailing ship.

My husband has some PTSD issues and we visit Disneyland often. He makes sure to have earbuds that he can plug into his phone and listen to music if he starts feeling anxious. It sort of takes him out of the sensory overload and lets him get back to a more stable mentality. Or, he takes off to Ballast Point for a beer. Always helps take the edge off. He prefers DCA for this reason as well...lots of little lounges to get away and grab a beer. We like the Alfresco Terrace at DCA. It's like a little hidden loft.

The lobby area of the Grand California Hotel is pretty peaceful. You can cut through by Grizzly River Rapids. I think you'll need a hotel key to reenter the park that way. However, it's a short walk back to the main entrance.

Somebody mentioned WOC- I think I’d hesitate to do that even with the dessert party, because -spoiler alert- they shoot off huge flames during the show. The last one nearly resembles a mushroom cloud, it’s so big, and you can feel the heat even from the seated area. It’s almost blinding.

The lobby area of the Grand California Hotel is pretty peaceful. You can cut through by Grizzly River Rapids. I think you'll need a hotel key to reenter the park that way. However, it's a short walk back to the main entrance.

No room key needed to reenter the park.

My husband is also a combat vet with severe PTSD, and LOVES Disneyland. Crowds tend to freak out my husband, especially if people start pressing up against him. This usually becomes an issue if we are waiting in line for a ride. It’s usually just my daughter and I with him and we always try to make a “buffer zone” of space between the people in front of us and the people behind us, but there has been a couple times when he has nearly had a panic attack when we’ve been stuck behind and in front of people that have no concept of personal space and continuously pressed against us. I’ve found that just politely asking for space usually works, but there’s been times when we’ve just had to get out of line. He also likes to carry a backpack. It’s like a security blanket for him and also helps create space between him and other people.

The fireworks are fine with my husband if he can see them and we aren’t in a space with people pressed up against us. We sat at a table outside a restaurant in SWGE last time and decided that was the ideal place for him. He has issues with the Fantasmic shows sometimes. Again, if he can see it, it’s fine. If we aren’t planning to watch Fantasmic, we try to be on the opposite end of the park or gone all together. Be aware that a MASSIVE amount of people leave the parks all at once after the fireworks. We happened to be trying to enter when everyone was leaving. My husband panicked and made a beeline for the guest services building at the front of the park. They let us sit in there until the crowd had dissipated.

Also, be aware that they shoot cap guns on the Jungle Cruise ride. You can hear the gun shots if you are near the ride.

People above already mentioned some great quiet places that we’ve utilized in the past when we all need a break.

I didn't realize the cap gun thing! Thank you!

I thought of this as well and the Columbia also shoots off a cannon (at least, I believe they still do) that you can hear on Tom Sawyers island and Hungry bear and I would guess maybe even in Galaxy's Edge?

Really great suggestions in here for quiet spots. If we are in DCA, I also like to go sit in the lobby of the Grand.

OP, I hope you and your husband have a wonderful trip. Thank you for your service.

Yikes, ok the cannon is good to know. Do you have any idea how often that happens?

Yikes, ok the cannon is good to know. Do you have any idea how often that happens?
I believe every time the Columbia goes around the rivers of America. I am not sure how often that happens. It's a smaller cannon, but still makes a loud noise.

Here's a video:

There could be an issue with fireworks when staying too close. I find that it is very loud when the fireworks start when I am staying at a Harbor Hotel. BWPPI or Tropicana are the hotels close by I've stayed at where the fireworks can be still heard.

And they echo off the motel walls. And echo and echo. And if you’re in your room it doesn’t sound line fireworks. It sounds weird. Startling.

So I personally would set an alarm on phones 5 minutes before fireworks are going to start so that everyone is aware of what the sound you’re about to hear is.

I didn't realize the cap gun thing! Thank you!

If you’re on the ride it’s obvious what’s going to happen. And sometimes the skipper just says “bang bang”. I don’t know why sometimes they shoot and sometimes not, but maybe a word with one of the CMs at the seating area could make a difference.

I’ve only ever heard it from the Indy line otherwise, and then only if I’m outside.

And lastly...in case you’ve never heard of it, therapy using EMDR can be of a huge help for trauma including PTSD. If he hasn’t tried it, I encourage him to do so.

One quiet spot is the pathway near Harbor Galley. If you go to the right, towards ROA, there is a path that leads you past ROA and back up to Critter Country. I'm pretty sure there are a few tables there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter