• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First timer recommendations for 1 day per park?

ten822

Mouseketeer
We are spending a Friday and Saturday at the end of August at DL-one day in each park. We have been to DW dozens of times but not DL. We don't care about sit down dinners or characters. We just want to see as many rides as possible that are different than in DW. Is small world, haunted mansion drastically different? What else is different? What are the top rides in each park? Do any require virtual queue or just genie+? Do any genie+ selections sell out first thing in the morning like in DW (for example slinky dog or test track in DW).
Any tips would be great!!

We are spending a Friday and Saturday at the end of August at DL-one day in each park. We have been to DW dozens of times but not DL. We don't care about sit down dinners or characters. We just want to see as many rides as possible that are different than in DW. Is small world, haunted mansion drastically different? What else is different? What are the top rides in each park? Do any require virtual queue or just genie+? Do any genie+ selections sell out first thing in the morning like in DW (for example slinky dog or test track in DW).
Any tips would be great!!
The previous poster has provided a good thread and you should also run a search within the Disneyland forum for "first time," "what to do," "different rides," or similar. There's some variation of this same question asked multiple times every single week (i.e. WDW vet first time visiting DL).

My top piece of advice is to consider getting park hoppers. It's very different than WDW and the parks at DLR are basically one big park a few steps away from each other. DCA has a lot fewer rides than DL and is not a full day park in my opinion. DL has more rides than you can possibly do in one day. My personal opinion is that I would never do DLR without a park hopper and I do not find a DCA day to be satisfying without ALSO visiting DL at some point (whereas I could spend a whole day at DL and not visit DCA). DCA is a great park, but there's far less attractions than at DL.

I would not recommend automatically skipping rides of the same name from WDW. Pirates is far better and far longer at DL than MK. If Haunted Mansion is open when you visit (which it might not be) then yes, ride it. It will most likely be the holiday version which is very different than MK and themed to the Nightmare Before Christmas. Small World is also quite different than the MK version. Big Thunder has different effects on the last lift hill that are not present on the MK version. Space Mountain has different seating and music very different from the MK version.

In terms of ones that are very similar or identical to WDW: Runaway Railway, Rise of the Resistance, Smuggler's Run, Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Soarin, Buzz Lightyear (some minor differences), Little Mermaid.

Unique to DL: Matterhorn, Nemo Subs (some similarities to the Seas at Epcot), Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Canal Boats, Casey Jr. Train, Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Peter Pan (many differences from MK), Indiana Jones, Guardians of the Galaxy, Monsters Inc., Incredicoaster, Radiator Springs, Luigi's, Webslingers, Grizzly Run.

This is not an exhaustive list. Look through these boards, the DL website, and look up videos online. Note that Radiator Springs and Rise are not on regular Genie+, only ILL so you will have to plan to pay extra if you want to ride those and skip the lines.

Have a great trip!

The previous poster has provided a good thread and you should also run a search within the Disneyland forum for "first time," "what to do," "different rides," or similar. There's some variation of this same question asked multiple times every single week (i.e. WDW vet first time visiting DL).

My top piece of advice is to consider getting park hoppers. It's very different than WDW and the parks at DLR are basically one big park a few steps away from each other. DCA has a lot fewer rides than DL and is not a full day park in my opinion. DL has more rides than you can possibly do in one day. My personal opinion is that I would never do DLR without a park hopper and I do not find a DCA day to be satisfying without ALSO visiting DL at some point (whereas I could spend a whole day at DL and not visit DCA). DCA is a great park, but there's far less attractions than at DL.

I would not recommend automatically skipping rides of the same name from WDW. Pirates is far better and far longer at DL than MK. If Haunted Mansion is open when you visit (which it might not be) then yes, ride it. It will most likely be the holiday version which is very different than MK and themed to the Nightmare Before Christmas. Small World is also quite different than the MK version. Big Thunder has different effects on the last lift hill that are not present on the MK version. Space Mountain has different seating and music very different from the MK version.

In terms of ones that are very similar or identical to WDW: Runaway Railway, Rise of the Resistance, Smuggler's Run, Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Soarin, Buzz Lightyear (some minor differences), Little Mermaid.

Unique to DL: Matterhorn, Nemo Subs (some similarities to the Seas at Epcot), Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Canal Boats, Casey Jr. Train, Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Peter Pan (many differences from MK), Indiana Jones, Guardians of the Galaxy, Monsters Inc., Incredicoaster, Radiator Springs, Luigi's, Webslingers, Grizzly Run.

This is not an exhaustive list. Look through these boards, the DL website, and look up videos online. Note that Radiator Springs and Rise are not on regular Genie+, only ILL so you will have to plan to pay extra if you want to ride those and skip the lines.

Have a great trip!
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! I wasn't going to do a hopper but you might have convinced me. My concern is- are there restrictions like in DW where you have to hop after a certain time in the day? If so, that might make it not worth it?

Prioritize CarsLand and Radiator Springs Racers if your goal is doing what is unique to Disneyland.

ParkHoppers are absolutely and totally worth the extra money if you can afford it. It takes very little time to go from one park to another. Also, if a ride is down one day, it gives you a second chance to ride it the next day if you have ParkHoppers.

Prioritize CarsLand and Radiator Springs Racers if your goal is doing what is unique to Disneyland.

ParkHoppers are absolutely and totally worth the extra money if you can afford it. It takes very little time to go from one park to another. Also, if a ride is down one day, it gives you a second chance to ride it the next day if you have ParkHoppers.
great tip thanks!

My wife and I frequent DL and have both done one park per day and park hopper. I don't think, personally, you can wrong either way. It very much depends "how" you like to do your Disney vacations. California Adventure, as already stated above, is not a traditional "full day" park. There are far fewer rides/attractions. However, my wife and I have more than enjoyed knocking out multiple rides in the morning with low waits while stacking Lightning Lanes for later, moving slower and enjoying food, drinks, and atmosphere. We then head back for a nap, and come back to Lightning Lane rides again, see World of Color, etc. The park also comes much more alive at night in Radiator Springs and Pixar Pier.

Per everyone else's notes, can't go wrong either with park hopper. If using Genie+, Lightning Lane availability can be a bit more flexible and efficient when choosing from both parks vs. one park. I will say, the closeness can be misleading; if you, for example, are at the back of Disneyland in Batuu, and book a soon-ish Lightning Lane for Toy Story Midway Mania or Radiator Springs Racers in CA, it's still a bit of hike. Not a reason not to do it, just more of a friendly heads up to ensure you have time to traverse :)

My wife and I frequent DL and have both done one park per day and park hopper. I don't think, personally, you can wrong either way. It very much depends "how" you like to do your Disney vacations. California Adventure, as already stated above, is not a traditional "full day" park. There are far fewer rides/attractions. However, my wife and I have more than enjoyed knocking out multiple rides in the morning with low waits while stacking Lightning Lanes for later, moving slower and enjoying food, drinks, and atmosphere. We then head back for a nap, and come back to Lightning Lane rides again, see World of Color, etc. The park also comes much more alive at night in Radiator Springs and Pixar Pier.

Per everyone else's notes, can't go wrong either with park hopper. If using Genie+, Lightning Lane availability can be a bit more flexible and efficient when choosing from both parks vs. one park. I will say, the closeness can be misleading; if you, for example, are at the back of Disneyland in Batuu, and book a soon-ish Lightning Lane for Toy Story Midway Mania or Radiator Springs Racers in CA, it's still a bit of hike. Not a reason not to do it, just more of a friendly heads up to ensure you have time to traverse :)
Thanks! If I do one park per day- any advice on which park for Friday and which for Saturday-based on crowds/wait times?

Always get a hopper: you only pay once for park hoppers and it's valid for both days of the trip.

IMO food is much better at DCA than at Disneyland: many a time I've been like I would really like a glass of wine with lunch / husband beer and we'll go on over to DCA. If one park seems crazy busy / go over to the other park. Rides down? Go to the other park. No fireworks but WOC? park hop.

Also - I personally think the overall food and snacks are superior to WDW at Disneyland.

To give you an idea of walking distances you might check out this website.
https://www.goinformed.net/disneyland-walking-distances/

• Disneyland main gate walking distance to:
    • Sleeping Beauty castle: 0.25 miles
    • Space Mountain: 0.3 miles
    • Splash Mountain: 0.4 miles
    • Millennium Falcon: 0.5 miles
    • It’s a Small World: 0.4 miles
    • California Adventure main gate: 250 feet
I think the last one is the real mind blower for WDW guests that have never visited the west coast. It makes DLR feel like one big park (with two main gates).

Thanks! If I do one park per day- any advice on which park for Friday and which for Saturday-based on crowds/wait times?
Hmmm good question. I am not as familiar with the SoCal school schedule as I used to be, but if everyone is back to school, then my personal choice would be DL on Friday and CA on Saturday. By their nature, DL is just typically a more crowded park regardless of day, so it'd be my preference to go to the less-crowded one on the busier day (although fewer rides at CA vs. DL does sometimes lead to just as high wait times for those rides regardless of crowding).

Fridays are still very popular days regardless across both parks, despite the emphasis of local crowds, I think because often times vacations for people who are in from out of town can usually encompass a Friday. I would anticipate though, DL starting to fill up more as school lets out and people get off work on that Friday (b/c of the local vibe), so rope dropping on that day and/or getting some stuff accomplished in the morning is a good plan to me.

I'm just going to reiterate that you should absolutely get a Park Hopper and you need to be there for the sunset/light up at Cars Land. You said you are not interested in meals but I would strongly recommend you consider Blue Bayou for lunch or dinner. It's something we always do on our trips and I consider it an attraction rather than just a restaurant. They also have some pretty darn good filets.

Hmmm good question. I am not as familiar with the SoCal school schedule as I used to be, but if everyone is back to school, then my personal choice would be DL on Friday and CA on Saturday. By their nature, DL is just typically a more crowded park regardless of day, so it'd be my preference to go to the less-crowded one on the busier day (although fewer rides at CA vs. DL does sometimes lead to just as high wait times for those rides regardless of crowding).

Fridays are still very popular days regardless across both parks, despite the emphasis of local crowds, I think because often times vacations for people who are in from out of town can usually encompass a Friday. I would anticipate though, DL starting to fill up more as school lets out and people get off work on that Friday (b/c of the local vibe), so rope dropping on that day and/or getting some stuff accomplished in the morning is a good plan to me.
You also need to pay attention to which park has Early Entry - either if you're staying on property you want to go to that park for EE. If you're staying off property you want to go to the other park.

We did two days one park each day in September it was my first visit sisters third … I personally wished we could of stayed an extra day to add a third day to just hop and fill in the gaps (we never even stepped foot in Battu West and the only characters we were able to meet were Shang Chi & Doctor Strange)

We did genie+ both days and that worked well

We ended up buying an individual Lightning Lane for racers as if we didn’t we probably would of missed it

The only virtual queue at the time was for world of color which we grabbed

We did Tiana’s on our Land day and lamplight reservation on our DCA day and just snacked in between

We're doing 4 days but it's really two half days and two full days - so planning to do 1.5 days in each park, as we didn't buy park hoppers. We have in the past and yes it is really easy to do, but i'll tell you, that walk from Main St in Disneyland to Radiator Springs in DCA feels sooooo long when you've been walking all day anyway :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter