First timer booking excursions questions

DisneyKeepsUsYoung

Mouseketeer
We are first time cruisers going to Alaska in Sept. Since our booking window is fast arriving I'm needing to iron out our plans for excursions and such. Is there a good post of tips for first timers? I feel so lost!! I know everyone who's ever sailed before has already booked. Does that mean several things will be booked up and unavailable? Will we be stuck with bad times for everything? The excursions are the main attraction for an Alaskan cruise to us. What time does booking open? Is it like trying to get ADR at WDW, just book if you might want it and cancel later all while being up at dawn to even have a chance?
What else am I supposed to book that day? I see posts about Princesses greets so I'm sure there's more stuff but how do I know my options before that day to decide how to prioritize?
We have 2 rooms, will I be able to book both at the same time or is there a chance I get one booked and something fills up before I get the other one?

We are first time cruisers going to Alaska in Sept. Since our booking window is fast arriving I'm needing to iron out our plans for excursions and such. Is there a good post of tips for first timers? I feel so lost!! I know everyone who's ever sailed before has already booked. Does that mean several things will be booked up and unavailable? Will we be stuck with bad times for everything? The excursions are the main attraction for an Alaskan cruise to us. What time does booking open? Is it like trying to get ADR at WDW, just book if you might want it and cancel later all while being up at dawn to even have a chance?
What else am I supposed to book that day? I see posts about Princesses greets so I'm sure there's more stuff but how do I know my options before that day to decide how to prioritize?
We have 2 rooms, will I be able to book both at the same time or is there a chance I get one booked and something fills up before I get the other one?
Yes, it's possible that some of the more popular excursions could be booked up. You won't be "stuck" with bad times, necessarily. Of course, that depends on what you call "bad times". Some people prefer excursions in the morning, and get upset when only afternoon times are available. And vice versa.

Since, unlike other cruise lines, DCL doesn't require payment for excursions/activities until 3 days prior to the cruise start, many people will book things "just in case" to ensure they have a slot. Some of them will cancel once they make a final determination as to what they really want to pay for.

I believe booking opens at 7:00 pm eastern time the night before your window opens. I could be wrong on that. It used to be midnight for both online check in and excursion/activity bookings, but it's changed now.

Activities you can pre-book include tastings/mixology, Princess Gathering, Frozen meet & greet.

If both your rooms have the same booking window, and are linked, you can book everyone in both rooms at the same time.

As a rule... the flight and small boat excursions will be the first to sell out as it's limited capacity. If sold out... you also have an opportunity for excursions sold privately at the dock.

Here's some excursion vids for inspiration...

In Skagway.... I recommend looking for an excursion combo that includes the White Pass train.

In Juneau... Mendenhaul and whale watching is popular.

You can pre book excursions with independent operators. Keep in mind these are the same people who run Disney's excursions. But you will be in smaller groups and pay less.

Activities you can pre-book include tastings/mixology, Princess Gathering, Frozen meet & greet.

If both your rooms have the same booking window, and are linked, you can book everyone in both rooms at the same time.

Thank you. I'm not sure what you mean by 'linked'. They both show up under my DCL login. My name is on one room, husband on the other.
Is there anywhere I can find out what days the Frozen or Princess meets are ahead of booking time? Or are they every day of the cruise?

As a rule... the flight and small boat excursions will be the first to sell out as it's limited capacity. If sold out... you also have an opportunity for excursions sold privately at the dock.

Here's some excursion vids for inspiration...

In Skagway.... I recommend looking for an excursion combo that includes the White Pass train.

In Juneau... Mendenhaul and whale watching is popular.
Thank you! Whale watching is one we are concerned would be booked up. We want to do that out of Icy Straight if possible. The train is also on the list so hoping that had plenty of room!!

You can pre book excursions with independent operators. Keep in mind these are the same people who run Disney's excursions. But you will be in smaller groups and pay less.
How do I find out what companies Disney is using to book directly with them if it's booked up on DCL website? I have read that age requirements can be different if booked directly. I'm bummed on some things like a nature hike, it has age requirements. My toddler will be in a carrier so her ability to "keep up" is irrelevant. I've wondered if we could do Mendellhal on our own vs book something through DCL, then we could be more flexible on time.

How do I find out what companies Disney is using to book directly with them if it's booked up on DCL website? I have read that age requirements can be different if booked directly. I'm bummed on some things like a nature hike, it has age requirements. My toddler will be in a carrier so her ability to "keep up" is irrelevant. I've wondered if we could do Mendellhal on our own vs book something through DCL, then we could be more flexible on time.

You don't even need to go through the same operators. Look for providers with good TripAdvisor reviews. Most of the operators in AK are good. That said, they will also have age requirements and several will not allow infant carriers, Iike the hike at Mendenhall. The ground is not level and they have terrain concerns.

You don't even need to go through the same operators. Look for providers with good TripAdvisor reviews. Most of the operators in AK are good. That said, they will also have age requirements and several will not allow infant carriers, Iike the hike at Mendenhall. The ground is not level and they have terrain concerns.
Thanks for the heads up. We have hiked MANY unlevel trails using carriers with various kids so the idea that it's not allowed even if done separately didn't cross my mind. I figured Disney doesn't allow young kids because there would inevitable be someone expecting to use a stroller for young ones so it's easier for them to restrict ages.

Thanks for the heads up. We have hiked MANY unlevel trails using carriers with various kids so the idea that it's not allowed even if done separately didn't cross my mind. I figured Disney doesn't allow young kids because there would inevitable be someone expecting to use a stroller for young ones so it's easier for them to restrict ages.
This is an example of a private booking for a glacier trek. They require all participants to be 10. The pictures probably give a good clue why - although I suspect another part of it is group dynamics, and not wanting to stop for a diaper change or snack: https://beyondak.com/trips/mendenhall-glacier-trek/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter