First time visitors with young kids

Marcoakis

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I am an ex-cast member of WDW (Mexican pavilion at Epcot 2005!). Anyway, I know WDW relatively well but last time I went to DL was back in my own childhood.

I'll be visiting from Australia with 2 young girls aged 3 and 5 in October 2019. We'll be travelling with my partner as well as grandparents.

Now, a couple of questions...

1) Where to stay? I want to give the girls a full Disney experience... so would that mean DL Hotel? Paradise Pier? Would love to hear your suggestions
2) Do DL do the Dining Plans like in WDW?

Thanks everyone for your help :)

I can’t speak to your first question really, but I am also planning a first time DL trip with a 5-year-old son. We opted to stay at the Best Western Park Place Inn, because the cost of the onsite hotels was frankly prohibitive, especially when you added in the free breakfast at Park Place Inn AND the fact that we would actually have a closer walking distance than Paradise Pier, which is the only hotel we could have conceivably afforded. If cost were no concern, I’d stay at the Grand Californian.

I looked into the Dining Plan thing, but it doesn’t look like DL has one, which made me sad. I’ve heard food prices are very high, so I’m budgeting $150 per day for lunch, dinner, and 1-2 snacks. If it costs less, we win! We will take our own water.

Some will disagree but I think the Disneyland Hotel is the most “Disney” so if it’s in budget, I’d stay there. There are several motels on Harbour Bvde a little closer but the DLH is only a 10 minute walk and security lines at that end are usually much shorter than at the Harbour end.
I also like GCH and you can rent points there plus the entrance to DCA is a bonus so it would also be a fine choice. For me, PP is just too far away to justify the premium price.
No dining plan at DLR and table service bookings open 60 days before, not 180. Can’t count the number of walk ups I’ve done at DLR though but if you really want Blue Bayou, Carthay Circle, Steakhouse 55 etc a reservation is a good idea.
All the best

We were last in a Disneyland in 2014, but I thought I would help you out with a few more responses. My boys were under 8 at the time. We planned 4 days in parks , got hopper in case one was crowded, used it several times to truly experience Carsland. 5 th day planned to swim, but too cold. So added a park day. Now we usually do Disneyworld twice a year, cheaper flights and hotels for us. A lady I follow on Facebook has some great Disneyland advice “every day” and suggests many of the offsite hotels . Most have remodeled recently to ge5 ready for Star Wars. Nearby hotels also give you the option of eating at cheaper restaurants before or after a park day. We payed out of pocket and found an easy Italian quick service by paradise pier that we ate several meals.

Hi everyone,

I am an ex-cast member of WDW (Mexican pavilion at Epcot 2005!). Anyway, I know WDW relatively well but last time I went to DL was back in my own childhood.

I'll be visiting from Australia with 2 young girls aged 3 and 5 in October 2019. We'll be travelling with my partner as well as grandparents.

Now, a couple of questions...

1) Where to stay? I want to give the girls a full Disney experience... so would that mean DL Hotel? Paradise Pier? Would love to hear your suggestions
2) Do DL do the Dining Plans like in WDW?

Thanks everyone for your help :)
Sounds like a fun trip! :)

I would read through the sticky threads at the top of this forum, particularly Hydroguy's tips. There are also threads about where to stay for hotels, onsite vs. offsite thoughts, and a particularly good one for you might be "DLR for WDW Vets."

As the previous posters have said, no dining plan. But lots of great dining options.

As far as accommodations, it really depends on your budget. If you are set on being in the "Disney Bubble" it'll cost you 2-3 times what you will pay for offsite. Grand Californian is gorgeous but so, so expensive. DLH still so expensive but probably worth it over Paradise Pier, which is a farther walk and much less of a "Disney Bubble" feel. If you are concerned about budget and would rather save your money for more park experiences, like maybe World Of Color Dessert Party or a Fantasmic! dining package, perhaps you'd be okay with staying at one of the Harbor Blvd hotels across the street. Much less fancy, but if you're mostly just going to sleep and shower there, they are fine. They generally have fridges and microwaves there, and some have free breakfast (usually not great, but then we prefer muffins, yogurt and juice in the hotel room anyway). I usually stay at the Desert Inn and Suites, which is generally the least expensive on that strip of hotels, but with your girls you will probably want a nice pool area (which DI&S doesn't have, just a small indoor pool). If you can afford it, I'm thinking Disneyland Hotel would probably be your best bet for the full Disney experience. We are staying there for the first time on our next trip. It's a squeeze budget wise, and a longer walk than Desert Inn, but I'm pretty psyched for the pool, the restaurants, and the experience.

Good luck!

Dining plans are not necessary at DL. Even the way people plan WDW vs DL is different. Basically it’s not that important to book at the beginning of the 60 (?) day timeline.

The reviews on hotels will vary. Budget is a key factor. Also since you have young kids, I would plan for breaks for naps. My kids stopped napping at that age but I still believe in an afternoon break. We stay within the resort often when budget allows. I’m not one to compare distances to the exact step count and minutes. I like the Disney Bubble even through DTD. With The young kids, we actually spend more time in our rooms than the average guests. So for us, it has been worth it. I have watched WOC and the fireworks from the comfort of our room at PPH while the kids are asleep. I’ve seen WOC many times so it doesn’t matter to me that I’m not right there.

There are surrounding hotels that offer view where you can watch the fireworks. At DL resort hotels, you can play the music from the TV or opt to view from a viewing deck at GCH. If you don’t have a view room at PPH, you can watch it from the pool deck.

What time of year are you planning?

From the sticky recommended by a pp: * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here!. You'll find LOTS of great information here!
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread with so much helpful information!
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/
Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! -- lots of information for Oct. 2019

As pp have said, DLR does not have a dining plan. For those who want something similar to WDW's plan, we suggest using Disney gift cards to budget for meals. That way you'll know how much you're spending per meal and how much you have left in the budget to spend. If you need more money, add more to the gift card. Not all locations at DLR accept Disney gift cards -- only Disney owned properties. For non-Disney properties in DTD and near the parks off site, you can get restaurant specific gift cards, e.g. Ghirardelli's, Patina Group, Cheesecake Factory, Mimi's Cafe, etc.

I agree with what others have said. The Disney bubble is not the same as it is in WDW and is generally less of a “resort” experience. I personally prefer this approach and enjoy my trips every time. It’s all about what you are looking for in that respect.

I’ve never stayed at the on property hotels so I’m not quite sure of what you get extra from them that justifies the price difference.

The hotels on Harbor are very walkable and much more reasonably priced than the on property options. I’ve never had a bad experience from any of them, but all I look for is safe, clean and close to the Harbor entrance. Research the amenities for each of them to see what it is you’re looking for. Pool, breakfast, etc...

The Grand Californian is the most resort like experience I’d expect. Especially due to its own separate entrance to DCA. I suspect that the security check is significantly shorter there and if the grandparent’s mobility is something to keep in mind, this would definitely be the easiest access option into the parks.

Whatever way you choose to go, I’m sure it will be magical for your family.

Like the others have summarized, hotel decision is really based around your budget - I've never stayed onsite, as we'd rather keep the extra $$ for fun things, and coming from Canada, already have to swallow the exchange difference.
How mobile are the grandparents? Also how many days are you thinking?

As a parent of a toddler... I recommend staying on site if it fits into your budget. We have been going since our little guy was 1 (now he is 4) and we tend to stay at the Grand. It is great to have early access every morning, as he is an early riser and it is when he is happiest. We also love the ability to order room service to be delivered in the morning before park hours. The proximity makes it much easier to go back to the room for a nap and we don't have to take the stroller out every time we want to go in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter