First time visiting with friends, how do we use Genie+ for us all?

Safari23

Mouseketeer
We are going the the parks soon with friends. We have magic keys, our friends will just have regular tickets. Can I add them to my Disneyland app and genie+, so I can book LLs for all of us at once? Would I add their tickets to my account and then buy Genie+ for all of us? Or could they have their tickets on their own phone / Disneyland app and buy genie+ on their own, and then somehow we merge them, so we can all make LL? Does that make sense what I’m asking? I’m just not sure how genie+ works for when you’re with a big group. We’ve only ever gone just our family.

I think it would be ideal if we both had the ability to access the LL once they’ve been made, in case we spilt up at times and want to do different rides. But I have no idea if this is possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Just scan their tickets and add them to you account. They can also be linked to their account so they can access everything themselves, too.

Just scan their tickets and add them to you account. They can also be linked to their account so they can access everything themselves, too.
Sorry, just to make sure I understand. They would first enter their tickets into their app right? Like when they first buy them. Then I would scan them as well into my app? As for Genie+, should they buy theirs on their app/phone each day, we buy ours on our app/phone then they'd all show up on both of our phones?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I understand and know what I'm doing ahead of time so we don't waste time that first morning.

Sorry, just to make sure I understand. They would first enter their tickets into their app right? Like when they first buy them. Then I would scan them as well into my app? As for Genie+, should they buy theirs on their app/phone each day, we buy ours on our app/phone then they'd all show up on both of our phones?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I understand and know what I'm doing ahead of time so we don't waste time that first morning.
no PP but yes they can add their tickets to their account on their phone. You can also add their ticket to your phone. Genie+ is attached to the ticket if they pre-purchased it. Not sure how it is to add it but if its like FP and adding day of have them pay for genie+ on their phone and then you or whoever will be booking selections can add all tickets to their app and book attractions

Yes, if they buy their tickets direct from Disney, they will already be linked to the purchaser's account. If they buy their tickets from a third-party, your friends can still attach their tickets to their own Disney account before or after you also add their tickets to your app. It will work either way. Unless you are treating your friends to Genie+, they can purchase within the app on their own account. You would have to do the purchases as two transactions either way since Disney discounts Genie+ for magic key holders but not for anyone else and Disney seems unable to process discounted Genie+ and non-discounted Genie+ purchases in the same transaction.

Once Genie+ is purchased then it is "attached" to the ticket for the day and can be booked from any phone app into which the tickets have been entered. So whether you purchase Genie+ for your whole party or everyone buys their own, any of you with access to all of the tickets will be able to book the lightning lanes for everyone. When you go to select a lightning lane, you will be shown a list of all tickets and magic keys attached to your account that are eligible for booking and you can choose all of them for that lightning lane or choose whichever subset of the group wants to go on that ride.

Thanks @longtimedisneylurker! That makes sense. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it. I assumed something along those lines was possible, but just wasn't sure how to go about it.

Yes, if they buy their tickets direct from Disney, they will already be linked to the purchaser's account. If they buy their tickets from a third-party, your friends can still attach their tickets to their own Disney account before or after you also add their tickets to your app. It will work either way. Unless you are treating your friends to Genie+, they can purchase within the app on their own account. You would have to do the purchases as two transactions either way since Disney discounts Genie+ for magic key holders but not for anyone else and Disney seems unable to process discounted Genie+ and non-discounted Genie+ purchases in the same transaction.

Once Genie+ is purchased then it is "attached" to the ticket for the day and can be booked from any phone app into which the tickets have been entered. So whether you purchase Genie+ for your whole party or everyone buys their own, any of you with access to all of the tickets will be able to book the lightning lanes for everyone. When you go to select a lightning lane, you will be shown a list of all tickets and magic keys attached to your account that are eligible for booking and you can choose all of them for that lightning lane or choose whichever subset of the group wants to go on that ride.
I may be misunderstanding, but I recently purchased Genie+ for three tickets linked to my app, and did it all in the same transaction. It recognized and charged me $20 for the two Magic Key holders and $25 for the non-MK. Just thought I'd share that for others who may come across the same need.

Last edited:
I may be misunderstanding, but I recently purchased Genie+ for three tickets linked to my app, and did it all in the same transaction. It recognized and charged me $25 for the two Magic Key holders and $20 for the non-MK. Just thought I'd share that for others who may come across the same need.

I'm glad to hear this. My experience was from October, and the app would not allow me to purchase for MK and non-MK at the same time. Once I selected an MK ticket, it would not allow me to select non-MK tickets and vice versa. So maybe they have improved the software since then, or it was some weird problem my party was experiencing. I will stop mentioning this issue since it seems to be outdated. Oh, and I'm assuming you were trying to say that the MK Genie+ were the cheaper purchases since they get the discount.

I'm glad to hear this. My experience was from October, and the app would not allow me to purchase for MK and non-MK at the same time. Once I selected an MK ticket, it would not allow me to select non-MK tickets and vice versa. So maybe they have improved the software since then, or it was some weird problem my party was experiencing. I will stop mentioning this issue since it seems to be outdated. Oh, and I'm assuming you were trying to say that the MK Genie+ were the cheaper purchases since they get the discount.
Whoop! Yes, haha, I accidentally switched the prices; I was charged $20 for the Magic Key holders and $25 for the non-MK ticket. Thanks! I'm going to edit my post just to avoid any possible confusion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter