First time visit in Jan. Hotel advise please.

KareyS

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first visit to Disneyland in January for 3 days. In researching hotels, I am torn and am looking for some advise. I was leaning toward the Courtyard because I prefer a hotel style and love the idea of having a theme park view. However, recent reviews seem to indicated it is getting a bit worn. Thoughts? I was also wondering if it is worth the money for a January trip, given that it will likely be too cold to take advantage of the waterpark. I was also considering the Candy Cane Inn. The reviews of the rooms are overwhelming positive but it lacks views and I worry about motel style noise. We will have a car and generally do not valet, so that is another strike against Courtyard. We want a hotel with under a mile walk. I had also considered the Fairfield, Best Western Plus Anaheim and Springhill Suites but eliminated them based on some reviews I read. SpringHill Maingate seemed nice but I ruled it out due to the walk. JW Marriott also seemed nice but it was on the edge of how far I wanted to walk. Are there others I should consider? We love a good pool but aren't likely to swim unless it is pretty warm. We are a party of 3 adults and appreciate a good supportive bed. 1 of us is a light sleeper. The rates aren't out yet for the Disenyland Hotel, which is the onsite I'd prefer but I am assuming the rates will just be too much to justify. When we go to World we stay at a moderate or a deluxe. Thanks for the help.

We are planning our first visit to Disneyland in January for 3 days. In researching hotels, I am torn and am looking for some advise. I was leaning toward the Courtyard because I prefer a hotel style and love the idea of having a theme park view. However, recent reviews seem to indicated it is getting a bit worn. Thoughts? I was also wondering if it is worth the money for a January trip, given that it will likely be too cold to take advantage of the waterpark. I was also considering the Candy Cane Inn. The reviews of the rooms are overwhelming positive but it lacks views and I worry about motel style noise. We will have a car and generally do not valet, so that is another strike against Courtyard. We want a hotel with under a mile walk. I had also considered the Fairfield, Best Western Plus Anaheim and Springhill Suites but eliminated them based on some reviews I read. SpringHill Maingate seemed nice but I ruled it out due to the walk. JW Marriott also seemed nice but it was on the edge of how far I wanted to walk. Are there others I should consider? We love a good pool but aren't likely to swim unless it is pretty warm. We are a party of 3 adults and appreciate a good supportive bed. 1 of us is a light sleeper. The rates aren't out yet for the Disenyland Hotel, which is the onsite I'd prefer but I am assuming the rates will just be too much to justify. When we go to World we stay at a moderate or a deluxe. Thanks for the help.
When you say Courtyard, do you mean Anaheim Marriott Courtyard Theme Park Entrance hotel? It's across the street and about a 10 minute walk to Disneyland. I stayed there once in 2016 and liked it. My kids were smaller then, and they liked the water slides. I didn't like how it's mandatory valet parking, and that the pool is only 3 feet deep. If you’re a party of 3 adults and no kids, I wouldn't recommend this hotel. I stayed at Best Western PARK Place Inn last year and liked it enough. The pool is small, and it's a motel. Two weeks ago I stayed at Desert Inn and Suites right across the street, 5 minute walk. The staff was nice, continental breakfast sucked, and I didn't like that the pool was indoors. I won't be staying there again, but would recommend it to anyone who's not picky about the pool. The resort hotels are really nice, but the after covid prices are insane. I get they want to make up for lost income, but good grief. Good luck whatever you decide.

The Westin is only 5-7 minutes’ more walk than Paradise/Pixar Pier hotel. It has self-parking and a rooftop lounge if you have Bonvoy Platinum or higher status (and a rooftop bar if you don’t). It’s across from the Incredicoaster.

CC62A9D2-A587-4435-8C6C-74A601D0CDB6.jpeg

Last edited:
I would consider the westin as they have a park view and would be on par with a deluxe hotel at WDW. Another option would be the hojo as they are a hotel and have view rooms. The westin is a far nicer hotel, and a full service hotel as well but we also really love Hojo (Howard Johnson).both are walking distance, some consider the westin too far. We walked when we stayed there. But it would be a quick Uber or Lyft ride away if you prefer.

Have a fun trip!

HoJo has lovely views of the park from their premium rooms, which are large and have great beds. But it isn't a quiet hotel due to traffic noise.

Candy Cane Inn has free parking. We had no noise issues there this April. There are views of the fireworks from the South side. Rooms are a lot smaller than HoJo, beds are firm and they have a nice free breakfast selection.

Both hotels are about 7 mins walking distance, Candy Cane Inn has a free hourly shuttle. I'm sure you'd be happy at either of these.

There's a good chance for resort hotel discounts at that time of year, so you might be able to stay on property for not much more than a nice Harbor hotel. Disneyland Hotel is wonderful. It's about a 15 minute walk through Downtown Disney, but it's much nicer than walking down Harbor. You could also Consider Paradise Pier if you want to be on property. That hotel usually has pretty good prices, even without a sale. Some people love it, some people hate it. They're renovating right now, and there's a back entrance into DCA that's super convenient.

I've stayed at a few of the others you mentioned.

Hojo: Nice grounds, comfortable rooms, but the walk felt pretty far, especially at the end of the night. It says it's an 8 minute walk but for us it was more like 15-20 (but with little kids)

Candy Cane: The room was a bit small for a family of 4, but for 3 adults I bet it would be ok. The shuttle is a great feature. It's about a 10-15 minute walk. We stayed in the premium room and loved having breakfast delivered to our door every morning. Also, late checkout at 2pm. Recently renovated, too.

Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn: We've stayed there twice in the last year and loved it both times. Excellent hot breakfast, comfortable beds, great customer service, 2 minute walk to the park.

All of these hotels were good. The only thing we didn't like was what just comes from staying almost anywhere on Harbor Blvd: Loud street noise and street preachers yelling at people on the way into/ out of the park. The interior corridor hotels will be quieter than motel style, of course.

All of these hotels were good. The only thing we didn't like was what just comes from staying almost anywhere on Harbor Blvd: Loud street noise and street preachers yelling at people on the way into/ out of the park. The interior corridor hotels will be quieter than motel style, of course.
Those street preachers hang out near the entrance to Disneyland, right? I don't recall them ever being a problem at the Candy Cane's end of the block.

Those street preachers hang out near the entrance to Disneyland, right? I don't recall them ever being a problem at the Candy Cane's end of the block.
They hang out near the entrance, but you need to walk by them on your way in. If you're taking the shuttle you might hear them as you walk to security, but you wouldn't see them. Last time we were there (July this year) there was one further down the block, too. I could hear him but couldn't tell exactly where he was standing. Somewhere between the DL entrance and Katella. They use very loud megaphones, so you can even hear them in your hotel sometimes depending on where you stay. We heard them outside of BW, but not in our room with the door closed.

We stayed at the Courtyard last summer and while there is some wear and tear to the rooms, it wasn't really any worse than our Grand Californian room last year. The Courtyard room was huge and we had a direct view of the fireworks from our balcony. It's probably too cold for the waterpark but looking at the prices for January that seems to be already backed in. Only negatives really was the elevator traffic jams and the longish walks on Harbor. Realistically though for adults-only it's not really worth it.

We stayed at Candy Cane this spring and the newly renovated rooms were quite nice. The new beds were probably the most comfortable motel beds I've every slept on and noise wasn't an issue at all. The rooms are on the smaller side though.

We are planning our first visit to Disneyland in January for 3 days...
If possible, visit during the first week of January. Immediately after Holiday Time, the holiday overlays will be removed and Haunted Mansion and Small World will have extended closures (usually staggered). World of Color usually has a refurbishment in January or February.

When you say Courtyard, do you mean Anaheim Marriott Courtyard Theme Park Entrance hotel? It's across the street and about a 10 minute walk to Disneyland. I stayed there once in 2016 and liked it. My kids were smaller then, and they liked the water slides. I didn't like how it's mandatory valet parking, and that the pool is only 3 feet deep. If you’re a party of 3 adults and no kids, I wouldn't recommend this hotel. I stayed at Best Western PARK Place Inn last year and liked it enough. The pool is small, and it's a motel. Two weeks ago I stayed at Desert Inn and Suites right across the street, 5 minute walk. The staff was nice, continental breakfast sucked, and I didn't like that the pool was indoors. I won't be staying there again, but would recommend it to anyone who's not picky about the pool. The resort hotels are really nice, but the after covid prices are insane. I get they want to make up for lost income, but good grief. Good luck whatever you decide.
Sorry, yes I did mean Anaheim Mariott Courtyard Theme Park Entrance and thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them.

I would consider the westin as they have a park view and would be on par with a deluxe hotel at WDW. Another option would be the hojo as they are a hotel and have view rooms. The westin is a far nicer hotel, and a full service hotel as well but we also really love Hojo (Howard Johnson).both are walking distance, some consider the westin too far. We walked when we stayed there. But it would be a quick Uber or Lyft ride away if you prefer.

Have a fun trip!
Thank you. Your videos have been very helpful.

HoJo has lovely views of the park from their premium rooms, which are large and have great beds. But it isn't a quiet hotel due to traffic noise.

Candy Cane Inn has free parking. We had no noise issues there this April. There are views of the fireworks from the South side. Rooms are a lot smaller than HoJo, beds are firm and they have a nice free breakfast selection.

Both hotels are about 7 mins walking distance, Candy Cane Inn has a free hourly shuttle. I'm sure you'd be happy at either of these.
Thank you.

There's a good chance for resort hotel discounts at that time of year, so you might be able to stay on property for not much more than a nice Harbor hotel. Disneyland Hotel is wonderful. It's about a 15 minute walk through Downtown Disney, but it's much nicer than walking down Harbor. You could also Consider Paradise Pier if you want to be on property. That hotel usually has pretty good prices, even without a sale. Some people love it, some people hate it. They're renovating right now, and there's a back entrance into DCA that's super convenient.

I've stayed at a few of the others you mentioned.

Hojo: Nice grounds, comfortable rooms, but the walk felt pretty far, especially at the end of the night. It says it's an 8 minute walk but for us it was more like 15-20 (but with little kids)

Candy Cane: The room was a bit small for a family of 4, but for 3 adults I bet it would be ok. The shuttle is a great feature. It's about a 10-15 minute walk. We stayed in the premium room and loved having breakfast delivered to our door every morning. Also, late checkout at 2pm. Recently renovated, too.

Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn: We've stayed there twice in the last year and loved it both times. Excellent hot breakfast, comfortable beds, great customer service, 2 minute walk to the park.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. They are appreicated.

We stayed at the Courtyard last summer and while there is some wear and tear to the rooms, it wasn't really any worse than our Grand Californian room last year. The Courtyard room was huge and we had a direct view of the fireworks from our balcony. It's probably too cold for the waterpark but looking at the prices for January that seems to be already backed in. Only negatives really was the elevator traffic jams and the longish walks on Harbor. Realistically though for adults-only it's not really worth it.

We stayed at Candy Cane this spring and the newly renovated rooms were quite nice. The new beds were probably the most comfortable motel beds I've every slept on and noise wasn't an issue at all. The rooms are on the smaller side though.
Very helpful. Thank you.

Just want to throw out there that the Hilton Anaheim and the hotels immediately near the Anaheim Convention Center are also quite nice. I wouldn't want to walk from there (although it's probably only 20 mins), but you can use the ART (Anaheim Resort Transit or something) buses and the passes are pretty cheap. Their system is kinda like the WDW buses where they have an estimate for you at both ends' bus stops of when the next bus for your line is arriving.

Agree with the recommendation about the early part of January for your timing. If you want to see the fireworks, be sure that your visit includes at least one weekend night (Fri, Sat, Sun) as the fireworks don't show every day in the off season. I've been in late January before, and the weather was very pleasant. But I definitely needed a jacket in the early morning and after the sun went down. Be sure you bring one!

There's a good chance for resort hotel discounts at that time of year, so you might be able to stay on property for not much more than a nice Harbor hotel.
As Kevin Hart would say "Whoa, Hold on, Pluto468, Wait a minute! Wait. A. Minute!
I didn't think DL would drop the rates this low. I better check back when they open up the dates for January. Don't get me wrong, we have really enjoyed our stays at the BWPPI and looking forward to our stay at BW Anaheim Plus this next January but if I could stay at the DLH for a few bucks more then here's my credit card.

Just want to throw out there that the Hilton Anaheim and the hotels immediately near the Anaheim Convention Center are also quite nice. I wouldn't want to walk from there (although it's probably only 20 mins), but you can use the ART (Anaheim Resort Transit or something) buses and the passes are pretty cheap. Their system is kinda like the WDW buses where they have an estimate for you at both ends' bus stops of when the next bus for your line is arriving.

Agree with the recommendation about the early part of January for your timing. If you want to see the fireworks, be sure that your visit includes at least one weekend night (Fri, Sat, Sun) as the fireworks don't show every day in the off season. I've been in late January before, and the weather was very pleasant. But I definitely needed a jacket in the early morning and after the sun went down. Be sure you bring one!
Thank you for recommendations and tip about the fireworks.

As Kevin Hart would say "Whoa, Hold on, Pluto468, Wait a minute! Wait. A. Minute!
I didn't think DL would drop the rates this low. I better check back when they open up the dates for January. Don't get me wrong, we have really enjoyed our stays at the BWPPI and looking forward to our stay at BW Anaheim Plus this next January but if I could stay at the DLH for a few bucks more then here's my credit card.
LOL. I guess it depends on the Harbor hotel. I was thinking of somewhere like Courtyard Marriott. In January their rates are $400 for a resort view room or $587 for a suite. The Disneyland Hotel has rooms starting at $555 during sales. Best Western is closer to $300-$350 for those same dates in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter