First time using an ECV & terrified

quietly

Mouseketeer
Hi guys,

I’m really hoping someone can help. This will be my first trip with an ECV but not my first trip to Disney. We’re staying at AKL for 2 weeks and I’m worried about the ECV on the buses. We’re looking at the Resort Max ECV from Scooterbug and wondering how it works to get it on the buses? Will this model fit on the bus? Will I bother people? I have severe anxiety and just want to make things as easy as possible for everyone involved.

If you guys have any tips or tricks for a very nervous first timer - I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you

Hi guys,

I’m really hoping someone can help. This will be my first trip with an ECV but not my first trip to Disney. We’re staying at AKL for 2 weeks and I’m worried about the ECV on the buses. We’re looking at the Resort Max ECV from Scooterbug and wondering how it works to get it on the buses? Will this model fit on the bus? Will I bother people? I have severe anxiety and just want to make things as easy as possible for everyone involved.

If you guys have any tips or tricks for a very nervous first timer - I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you
I agree look for a Mamabunny post as she has most of the tips and great ideas. I do not know the EVC you are renting but as for buses let the driver know you will need any help they can give you. one main thing to remember leaving bus make sure you have cleared the ramp before you make any turns no matter how slight. keep your speed slow. remember that most of the people on the buses you will never see again so just smile and go on as you any other day. always ask the CMs how EVCs are handled where ever you are. an EVC may be new to you but the CMs see them many times a day and are there to help you get where you belong. and the one last thing I mention is to take it easy on your travel group as you are going to have more get up and go than they may have. have a great trip

We’re looking at the Resort Max ECV from Scooterbug and wondering how it works to get it on the buses? Will this model fit on the bus?
No worries. According to Scooterbug, that model is 47"L x 24"W which is well within the limits for a mobility device on the bus (and most of the WDW transportation options). You can let the driver know you are unsure about driving on and parking; the driver may give you verbal instructions or may even offer to park it for you (some do, some don't, they aren't required to do so). Or another member of your party can drive it on to park it if you are capable of some walking.

You might consider going to your local grocery store, Walmart or other big box store and try one of their ECVs. Those are typically more cumbersome than what you'll rent at WDW but gives you a feel for what you'll be doing.

It won't be a problem to get on the buses. The problem is the buses only fit two ECVs at a time, so you can be stuck waiting for the next one, which could be a while.

AKL was also running some non-accessible buses when I was there last. Obviously, you can't get on those.

ECVs load first, and it's not the fastest thing in the world. Yes people can be "bothered." Some can be rude. We took an obviously disabled child in an expensive-looking chair, and still heard grumbling. People are entitled and spent a lot of money, and there's nothing you can do about that. There's nothing I can do for people who would be rude to a disabled child. That's just life for the disabled.

The bus drivers are used to tentative ECVers. Every time I get on the bus, they offer to park it for me. Usually I let them, not because I can't, but because they can do it so quickly, and that way no one waits too long.
Yes, the Disney bus drivers are absolutely awesome. Every one I encountered while using an ECV
was very helpful and kind about it.

Yes look up @mamabunny 's previous posts and you'll find the one she likes to give in this situation and has posted it in several threads like yours over the years. I agree with everyone - just let the bus driver know. They can actually park it for you in about 3 seconds flat - you can stay in or get out and sit in a seat - either way they can park it.

I also suggest when you get it to motor around your resort ALONE and just practice turning and see how the speeds work, etc. Find a spot and try parallel parking (if you want to park yourself on the bus). Also practice going in reverse (useful for elevators). Make sure you're not too close to the edge of a sidewalk or curb of course. If you can find a fairly empty walkway try the speeds from slow to fast and get used to adjusting it and how fast you can stop if needed. I mean don't do anything crazy of course - be safe! But it's useful to get used to what the ECV can do in typical situations. I find learning how to go in reverse very helpful.

I also HIGHLY suggest renting a 3 wheel vs a 4 wheel scooter. The 3 wheel is WAY more maneuverable and you can make much tighter turns which makes it easy to take through all the ride lines. The 4 wheel may be more stable but I've never had a 3 wheel feel the least bit unstable for me. I was accidentally give a 4 wheel by the rental company once and I didn't realize it - and wondered why the ECV was so awful - haha! 3 wheel all the way!

Here are a few more hints to help you.

Get some practice in by using store scooters. This will get you use to people being around you. Practice making turns going around the aisles, too. If you have a zoo nearby you can usually rent a scooter and you can practice for a whole day using a scooter there. Once you get your rental scooter at Disney practice with it at the resort a little. You can use the rental scooter in the resort to get around the grounds and to get to your room but it may require you to get in and out of an elevator getting to your room. Again, you may want someone assisting you from your party for the elevator. We like to back the scooter into the elevator; so, it's easier to get out. We try to get an elevator that is empty. I would advise getting a door stopper for your resort room; so, the door will stay open while you get your scooter in and out of your room. It's safer than someone holding the door for you. You do have to find the sweet spot where the door stopper works best holding the door open.

As far as bus transportation goes a bus driver is not required to takeover and do the scooter for you on and off the bus. Each bus driver is different this way and some will help more than others. Let them know you are a newbie and maybe they will be more considerate and help you. If you have others in your party, you could let them takeover and get the scooter on and off the bus for you if you can get on and off the bus by walking and climbing the stairs on your own accord.

Driving a scooter in a park can be challenging, too. Many get excited at the parks and will dart out in front of you and you need to be very alert not to collide with them and stop if necessary. It can be good to have your group surround you while you are driving your scooter like someone in front of you and to your sides, too.

if you park your scooter outside for a while like eating at a table service restaurant make sure you park the scooter where you are not obstructing an entrance/exit. There is a manual override on the scooter that will allow a Disney cast member to move your scooter if necessary and then it may be difficult to locate it. You can't be in the way of a parade, for example.

Keep an eye on your battery level. You don't want to run out of power. If you need an emergency battery recharge there are outlets in the parks you can use but you have to locate them. Getting around ride queues can be challenging for some. There are some tight turns to deal with getting through ride lines. Again, you may need help from someone in your party to do the scooter for you if you can walk some. You will have to park the scooter and walk some to get to a ride.

In Epcot to do the Soarin' ride you either have to park the scooter on the second floor and walk or take an elevator to get to the ride level.

You need to recharge your scooter battery every night and you need to find a convenient place in your room where you can do it with an available outlet. Some people have had their table removed from their room to make it easier for the scooter to be in the room.

If you

Last edited:
In Epcot to do the Soarin' ride you either have to park the scooter on the second floor and walk or take an elevator to get to the ride level.
Highly recommend taking the elevator. It's a very long walk all the way through the Soarin' queue, not to mention the amount of walking just to get to the queue.

There are two elevators in the building, so although you may have a wait, it shouldn't be too long.

Hi guys,

Thank you

I was you 2 years ago. But add on I am in my mid 50s but look totally fine. If I tried to do the parks for more than a couple of days without a scooter I would be limping a lot at best. At worst I would be falling over. If you are using a bus and the driver offers to help you, let them. They are so quick at parking your scooter. As far as people complaining, let them. It shows their character, and has nothing to do with you. You don't know them, let them be mean and cranky. Ignore them.

Ya know - in 10 years of going to WDW on my scooter - I’ve never heard anyone say anything derogatory- and I have very good hearing - I do get tons of positive comments on my scooter decor…I recommend bringing Dollar Store items and battery lights to add some pizazz! I don’t recommend using big box or grocery store scooters to practice - it’s like trying to learn to drive a tricycle by driving a semi-truck…3 wheel scooters are very easy to drive -just keep your speed low and go for it!

! I don’t recommend using big box or grocery store scooters to practice - it’s like trying to learn to drive a tricycle by driving a semi-truck…3 wheel scooters are very easy to drive -just keep your speed low and go for it!
+1 I didn't post this advice, but I thought it everytime a poster makes that suggestion.

I guess if you practice on a COSTCO scooter a 3 wheel rental scooter is a piece of cake. The problem if a guest tries the COSTCO, fi scooter, finds it difficult to maneuver and doesn't try a rental at WDW

Remember that the "grocery store scooter" advice is for those who have never (yet) had to use a mobility device, and are concerned about how it works *in general*.

Those of us who have experience with mobility devices sometimes forget how scary it was the first time we had to use/rent one.

Grocery store/big box store scooters are the closest analog to a Disney Parks rental scooter for those who feel the need to "practice", short of renting a (nearly) identical model.

Thank you all so much for your advice! It means a lot to me. Here’s hoping everything goes smoothly

Thank you all so much for your advice! It means a lot to me. Here’s hoping everything goes smoothly
you have this and things will go good. remember to take it slow and ask for help when you need it from the CMs. one last thing if it rains make sure your poncho covers you and the back of the seat. I learned this the hard way as the rain ran down back of poncho and under me leaving my bottom very wet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter