• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time to DL - first day not planned

srky

Earning My Ears
Hello all, I'm new here so don't mind me please if I say something out of this world.
I'll be taking my DD to DL January 10th for the first time, she's 9. we'll be staying in the area 6 days.
Now, the first day we will be arriving to LAX around 9AM, so I figure by the time we come to hotel (Holiday Inn Anaheim) and settle down it'll be maybe 11:00AM or let's say noon, just to be on the safe side.
Now I don't want to "waste" one full park pass for "half" a day, so I thought maybe that day we can go do something that we have not planned (as we will be doing 3 days DL, 1 day universal,. 1day seaworld).
Would you please suggest something for us to do that day?
would it be ok to take my DD to see the walk of fame, hollywood, or would you go to the wax museum, ripleys believe it or not or something else?

Please give us some suggestions.
Thanks

From what I hear 9 might be a little young for Universial. You may want to go visit downtown disney, and go to a character meal, goofy's kit, or storytellers cafe, in one of the hotels, to warm up for the parks the next day.

I highly recommend hanging out at your hotel, relaxing, going to DTD (there is a lot to see there!) and then hitting a character meal at DLH or the GC for dinner or a late lunch. Or go to the Rainforest Cafe for dinner - you'll have a great time there! The parks can be so tiring - it really is great to have a bit of a slow day before you start - and the DTD area really can get you in the mood for what you're doing later in the week!

Thank you very much for your help, please tell me if you have to pay to visit Disney downtown or can you use one of those passes for park, not sure how does that work.

Thanks again

DTD is free! That's one reason it's a great way to spend the afternoon. It's all shops, restaurants, etc. There is also a movie theater, and if there are fireworks at DL that night - you can see a lot of them from many areas. The Lego store is fantastic, there's a Build A Bear, a huge Disney store that you can spend hours in. Go to the Disneyland website and check out the DTD info - you'll be pleasantly suprised!

I ditto the DTD. if you are driving from LAX allow 3 hours at least with the transit to the rental car area, checking a car out, then driving timem, and hotel check in and unloading the car.
I would head to Libby Lu first thing to see if you can get a walk-in reservation for your DD she would love it.
I would make reservations now for dinner that night. I had planned a Rainforest Cafe for our group which we missed out on due to a canceled flight.
If she likes sports I would check out the espn zone with the free coupon that is on the back of park hopper passes.
Make sure to bring any coupons you have, I forgot mine in the car when we went to Build a bear... it is very fun and my 7 yr old niece loved building a cat. .. if you want her to be able to pick what ever she wants be forwarned you can easily drop $100 if you are not careful ;)... course you can get one outfit and a bear for $25 if you choose carefully.

Also there is an AMC theater, if you check the Disneyland.com site it will have what is playing before you leave in case you want to watch a movie that night.
HAVE FUN and go swimming or hang out in the hottub :)

If you can wait a day to see Disneyland you are stronger than we were!

We arrived about 2Pm and still went to the parks and had a great time.

But DTD is free, and will easily kill a few hours (though you have to walk between both parks to get there, which may prove too strong a temptation. There's a rainforest cafe, the biggest Disney store you'll ever see and other great attractions to keep you occuiped.

We skipped Universal because we were told it was not great for kids under 12 - most of the rides are too scary or have height limits which make them only suitable for teenagers.

I have to agree that doing DTD would be a great option for half a day. There is so much to do and lots to see. You might want to also consider checking out the DLH and GCH too.

I would definately stay away from Hollywood and Walk of Fame. Those areas can be pretty dirty and not what you would think they should be. Not as fun or glamourous as one would think.

Your DD might enjoy Universal. It mostly would depend on her height and how brave she is. The sweetpea has been going to Universal for years. The sweetpea is a very brave, but very small just turned 10 year old. But she loves it there. There are many attractions there that are for the not so brave and it can be a fun day for you.

I pretty much vote with everyone else. Also, be sure to visit the hotels. (Grand Californian and DL hotel) There are lots to see there as well!

I agree with previous posters, do DTD.

We did Build a Bear, Libby Lu, ESPN zone, Rainforest Cafe, and just shopped.
I love it there!!!
(there is also a theatre if you want to watch a movie)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter