• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time to Disney world over Christmas questions

BruceIndy

Earning My Ears
Hello all. I've booked my trip (Resort & Tickets) directly with WDW and will be getting the tickets myself for Christmas 2015 but right after I book I started hearing about the massive layoffs of 2014 and early 2015.

1. Am I planning for a Christmas vacation for me and my 2 girls (ages 3 and 5) that is going to be a disaster? Worried father!!

2. I booked the trip myself on a whim at the Polynesian resort which I have read a few great things about. I didn't find or get any kind of deals for over Christmas and the Magical dinner event ends just before Christmas. Are there any other kind of specials/deals that occur over Christmas?

3. I keep hearing this is THE MOST CROWDED TIME EVER at the park so I need to be extra diligent about using Fast Pass and sticking to one park at a day. Is this true and good advice?

4. Is the Polynesian resort good during December in Florida? It will be colder so should I pick a different resort for me and my girls?

1. Should be an awesome trip. Is this your first disney trip with your kids? Maybe look into trip insurance and policy regarding loss of employment. I've done trip insurance twice, while I didn't need it, the security sure was relieving.

2. By deals do you mean ticketed events? Poly is a fantasic resort, you'll enjoy it.

3. It is comically over crowded. Your resort location will be nice in that you can escape to your room when you've had it with the crowds. Plan on rope drop in the mornings, a mid day nap/retreat and evening return. Also, look for activities on property and outside of the parks. On Christmas, make sure you're in the MK early, they hit capacity early in the day and start phased closings to letting guests in(as a resort guest, you should be more than fine though).

4. December can feel very cold at Disney. I wouldn't bank a ton of time with pool stuff. Poly will be very special with Christmas stuff and you'l really appreciate the monorail/closeness to parks. Personally, I would prefer poly (or monorail resort) for the time of year you're going.

Thanks for responding Fantasia79.
By deals I mean any kind of deal from free dining, to discount tickets or reduced package deals etc. I am keeping an eye on the front page but it seems like they don't bother offering deals during their busiest time of year.

1. I don't mean my employment I mean the staff layoffs at WDW last December. Has the quaity of WDW this year been on par with previous years for those of you who have already gone this year and have gone multiple times?

2. Glad to hear I am picking a good resort location. I'll make sure to use fastpass for everything popular (on that note what SHOULD I use fastpass on during a WDW Christmas vacation?)

2b. Is MK the place to be on Christmas over all other resorts? I can certainly make plans to be up early with the girls on that day and make Christmas Day a very special day in MK for them.

Probably nothing too discounted around the time you're going. Depending on how long you go, you could check out different websites for disconted tickets.

1. That's good to hear! I haven't heard of lower quality. I went in February and everything seems good.

2. With the ages of your kids, I'd probably do character meets. I'm guessing you'll be getting an Elsa/Anna picture/autograph. I make sure I get my must do things on Fastpass, then go at rope drop for as much as I can get in. Also, consider reserved seating for the fireworks. Though, with the crowds, you may be reserving a spot early on. On NYE we gave up on EPCOT rides, etc and got a spot around 12.

3. MK will be pretty awesome for the kids. If you're doing Hollywood Studios Osborne lights is a must do for that park at night(no ticket required), EPCOTs Christmas arond the world stuff is interesting, and you can do those any timer during your trip.

Thanks for responding Fantasia79.
By deals I mean any kind of deal from free dining, to discount tickets or reduced package deals etc. I am keeping an eye on the front page but it seems like they don't bother offering deals during their busiest time of year.

1. I don't mean my employment I mean the staff layoffs at WDW last December. Has the quaity of WDW this year been on par with previous years for those of you who have already gone this year and have gone multiple times?

2. Glad to hear I am picking a good resort location. I'll make sure to use fastpass for everything popular (on that note what SHOULD I use fastpass on during a WDW Christmas vacation?)

2b. Is MK the place to be on Christmas over all other resorts? I can certainly make plans to be up early with the girls on that day and make Christmas Day a very special day in MK for them.

Given that's the most busy time of the year, Disney has no need to offer any kind of deals. Like previous poster said, it is insanely busy, but also the parks are open much longer hours. For example, MK might be open at 7am all week long. My parents often go to WDW at Christmas, they are at the MK at 7am and get lots of rides done before parks get crowded.

1. Main differences I've noticed over the years has been increase in prices, and decrease in quality of food. As far as I know, a lot of the layoffs last year were IT/computer-related. As a result, Disney's phone app if glitchy and full of bugs, and the dining reservation system is unreliable/flaky/often completely down.

2. For Fastpass, you should definitely read mesaboy2's FP+ guide. The main attractions that have difficult-to-get FP are 7DMT and A&E.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/fa...ed-priorities-and-strategies-part-ii.3326057/

2b. There's probably a lot of other people with the same idea. But if you get there at rope drop and use FP, you'll be fine. Just know that if you leave for midday break and if park reaches capacity, you might not be able to get back in. Guessing New Year's Eve and Christmas Day would be the busiest days?

Just so you know MK is usually closed to capacity at 10am on Christmas, it is the busiest day of the year. Make sure you are there early. If you have a car that week...head over to Celebration, it "snows" nightly with lots of activities...pretty neat to see. Www.celebrationtowncenter.com. Have a great trip!

OP, is this your first trip to Disney? Or first during Christmas? Don't be shy about asking for more planning help if it is! It's really cool you're put an awesome trip together for your kids!

OP, is this your first trip to Disney? Or first during Christmas? Don't be shy about asking for more planning help if it is! It's really cool you're put an awesome trip together for your kids!

First trip to Disney period! First trip for me AND my kids! They are 3 & 5 and LOVE all things Frozen & Minne Mouse so I feel like this is the perfect time to take them. I would love help planning so far all I have done is booked the trip through WDW directly and started gathering info. I still need to book plane tickets which I plan on doing at the end of this month.

I keep hearing that I should plan well but not to much because if I try to do everything then I will burn myself out and it is impossible anyway!. I also heard that its best to save going to MK till near the end of the trip because that is the best park and you want your kids to have the most magical experience on the last day!. Also I'm trying to plan to spend each day in a separate park. Are these all good general ideas to have when I start planning? Any more I should know?

Oh and make sure to Fastpass Anna and Elsa meet ups for the girls.

My planned trip will cover 4 days. I may try for a 5 day trip and come in on Tuesday instead of Wednesday but I'm not sure if I should.
Check In: Wednesday, December 23, 2015
Check Out: Sunday, December 27, 2015

I keep hearing that I should plan well but not to much because if I try to do everything then I will burn myself out and it is impossible anyway!. I also heard that its best to save going to MK till near the end of the trip because that is the best park and you want your kids to have the most magical experience on the last day!. Also I'm trying to plan to spend each day in a separate park. Are these all good general ideas to have when I start planning? Any more I should know?

It is a good plan to plan well but not plan too much. Select your park days, commit to being there rope drop, get your 3 FP+ reservations starting by 9 or 10am, know what rides you are doing standby first & second, and have a general idea of what you want to do before lunch. Then once you get into the park, be prepared to change plans, if one of your planned rides has a ridiculous wait, or if you see a ride or characters with no wait. On our last trip, we planned everything up to lunchtime, and after lunch would wing it based on crowds/weather/wait times/what we felt like doing.

If you have a 3yo and 5yo, I'm assuming MK will be the park they get the most out of. I understand wanting to do 4 parks in 4 days, but I would suggest finding a way to do multiple days (or at least mornings) at MK, whether that's adding a 5th park day (only $10 per person), or getting park hoppers (much more expensive), or skipping one of the other parks.

First trip to Disney period! First trip for me AND my kids! They are 3 & 5 and LOVE all things Frozen & Minne Mouse so I feel like this is the perfect time to take them. I would love help planning so far all I have done is booked the trip through WDW directly and started gathering info. I still need to book plane tickets which I plan on doing at the end of this month.

Oh and make sure to Fastpass Anna and Elsa meet ups for the girls.

My planned trip will cover 4 days. I may try for a 5 day trip and come in on Tuesday instead of Wednesday but I'm not sure if I should.
Check In: Wednesday, December 23, 2015
Check Out: Sunday, December 27, 2015

Alright! Congrats! Any help you want with planing, I'm happy to help. If you want my email, PM and you've got it! I'm sure many people on this website feel the same way.

Full disclosure, I've never been with young kids but am planning a 2018 trip with a young one, so I'm doing my research. I also don't want to over extend advice that's unsolicited. So, dont be afraid to ignore completely.

Couple things you should make sure you're familiar with in your planning:

Park hours & extra magic hours. Some parks will close early, so you'll want to plan a dinner or evening activities, or If your kids bedtime makes it easy (poly should have activities like movies on the beach, water parade, fire pits, etc, etc).

Rides, know height requirements. A lot of people say their kids don't have much to do in Hollywood Studios. Some also say their kids are bored in EPCOT after Magic Kingdom. You know your kids best, if they love cultures and food, you're set. Also, with height requirements on rides, I dont think you'd need to be concerned with rope drop at EPCOT and the world showcase opens later. Check out how FP+ works.

Dinner reservations, if you want to eat at a table service restaurant, you have to get your reservations set up ASAP. 180 day window (from the first day of your trip); Know when that is and get your reservations first thing in the am when you have access. Depending on how much you want to spend on your trip, you can do some great meals. With kids, Cinderella's Royal Table, Be Our Guest will be the hardest to get, both in MK. Character meals great with kids too. Some people eat table breakfast then small lunch at a quick service, and table dinner. Others quick breakfast, Lunch at table service, dinner at quick service. Plenty of strategy on here about this. Kona cafe in the poly has the best coffee, FYI.

Planning, I say have your meals strategized, general park hours (when you're arriving and leaving or hopping), and then be ready to be flexible. The 'Magic' moments (in my opinion) are best when you can be carefree in the parks and not thinking of where you need to go, if you can get in somewhere, what you can do next, etc. Pre-planning of big decisions makes that open up. Don't go nuts though.

Know layout of the parks and transportation. Yes, you have to change monorails between the poly and EPCOT at the ticket and transportation center.

It's gunna be awesome.

Ok I've made an google spreadsheet (anyone can comment) that I've started to gather in important tidbits of information.

I want to make sure to schedule the important stuff early given how fast everything fills up. I've committed to stay one day after Christmas and going to MK again which I hope will be a little less crowded then Christmas Day? I'm not 100% sure if I should just arrive on the 2nd and leave on the 26th instead and go to MK for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Need advice on this anyone?

23 Wednesday Check In + Epcot/Animal Kingdom
24 Thursday Disney Hollywood Studios
25 Friday Magic Kingdom
26 Saturday Magic Kingdom
27 Sunday Check Out

Priority for FP+ schedule are
MK: Anna/Elsa, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Festival of Fantasy Parade, Main Street Electrical Parade, Meet Ariel at her Grotto, Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater
DHS: For the First Time in Forever: A "Frozen" Sing-Along Celebration Toy Story Midway Mania

Priority for scheduling dinner reservations
Cinderella's Royal Table, Be Our Guest

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J0e-hZGSKTaxojqjyXmGdnUo5Wj6xUv9RHRllrwUj7g/edit?usp=sharing

I've committed to stay one day after Christmas and going to MK again which I hope will be a little less crowded then Christmas Day? I'm not 100% sure if I should just arrive on the 2nd and leave on the 26th instead and go to MK for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Need advice on this anyone?

I don't know whether MK will be more busy on the 26th or Christmas Day. In general, I would say parks a little less busy before Christmas than after. So if you went 12/22-26 instead of 12/23-27, the 22nd will be less busy than the 26th. But the parks will be so super busy, does it really matter if Ariel M&G is 60 minutes standby or 50? You don't want to be waiting in that line anyway. easywdw.com is a very nice site, they have cheat sheets now to give you an idea of what ride wait times get to be during the course of the day:

http://www.easywdw.com/cheatsheets/mk_cheatsheet_v3.pdf

Your FP selection ideas are good, those are popular and you will want to FP them. 7DMT and A&E are the two most popular in MK, up to you whether you make Mickey or Ariel your 3rd FP. If you make your FP+ reservations 60 days in advance, I would think you should be able to get FP for the rides you want.

However, good luck with CRT and BOG. Those are both very popular, and you're going on the most busy time of the year. You'll find stories on this forum and the Restaurants forum of people having extreme difficulty getting BOG ADRs for mid November, and that's if the dining reservation system is even working that day. You might need to be flexible with CRT and BOG dinner (might be easier to get a weird time like 10:30am or 2pm lunch, or 4pm dinner). Would be good idea to have a backup plan. Crystal Palace in MK has character meals. More options outside the resort, but you might not want to leave the MK if at capacity. 1900 Park Fare has character meals at the Grand Floridian. Chef Mickey at Contemporary has characters, but is insanely popular. 'Ohana and Whispering Canyon (Wilderness Lodge) are fun places to eat, as is Hoo-Dee-Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness.

Thanks Lucius. Your suggestions bring something up that I have heard a few people say but I haven't really considered. Should I really be looking at outside park activities? Currently I am planning for us to fly there and take the Diseney Express to our Poly resort and then spend the entire time in or at various park functions. During the night if we want to go back early we can stay in the resort where I hear they have good fun and possibly a Lua(sp?) (need FP for it?) and if the weather is permitting maybe even a swim though I'm not banking much on that.

I know I can't come close to doing everything in the park in 4 days and especially during this time of the year but I really want this to be a magical experience for my girls from the moment they step off the plane till the moment they leave. I want them to feel like it is a total dream/fairy tale the whole time!

Also both of my girls have December birthdays and this trip is actually their birthday surprise to them. Is there anything I can do with park arrangements along with their birthdays?

Thanks Lucius. Your suggestions bring something up that I have heard a few people say but I haven't really considered. Should I really be looking at outside park activities? Currently I am planning for us to fly there and take the Diseney Express to our Poly resort and then spend the entire time in or at various park functions. During the night if we want to go back early we can stay in the resort where I hear they have good fun and possibly a Lua(sp?) (need FP for it?) and if the weather is permitting maybe even a swim though I'm not banking much on that.

I imagine you want to maximize park time since your trip is so short. You probably don't want to plan on midday breaks if the park is at capacity because you might not be able to get back. And if your kids are 3 and 5 you probably aren't staying out late. I only mentioned those other restaurants in case you can't get a dinner ADR at CRT or BOG, there are lots of options at Polynesian, around the monorail, or by boat at WL or FW. Yes, Polynesian has a dinner show luau, note that it's outside, so might be chilly in December. Also note you definitely would need reservation, and I think with dinner shows you have to pre-pay (same with Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue at FW, and CRT).

Also both of my girls have December birthdays and this trip is actually their birthday surprise to them. Is there anything I can do with park arrangements along with their birthdays?

If they wear their "It's My Birthday" buttons, lots of people will wish them Happy Birthday all day, every day. You can also get cupcakes or pre-order birthday cakes at restaurants:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/just_for_kids/birthdays.htm

The Polynesian is a beautiful resort and gives you that tropical feeling of Hawaii, don't worry about finding another resort, you and your girls will love it! I've only been to WDW during Christmas/New Year's time and yes it's super crowded, but tis' the season lol Just make sure to Fastpass what you and the girls want to ride at each park, that way you don't have to stand in a 1+ hour long line. I know planning is stressful, but just relax and most importantly have FUN! :thumbsup2:goodvibes

I was their last Christmas and I am going back this year at the same time.
We went to MK on Christmas day and got there at 8am we went to fantasy land straight away and got on a few rides with no lines including a meeting with minnie and daisy at sideshow petes!

We were lucky enough to get a reservation for breakfast at CRT at 11.00am and booked our fastpasses from 12pm. I found that was a good tip as mornings are the quietest and you can get on a few rides with minimal waits it starts to get noticeably busier after 10.30/11am so we tried to book fastpasses for the middle of the day rush to avoid lining up then either stayed and watched parades or shows in the afternoon or had a break and headed back later on for wishes.

We found the weather really changeable, christmas eve was hot all day then rained all evening and xmas day was pretty chilly all day so definately take layers and warmer clothes for the evening and colder days. The poly is a great hotel and location so I would not change it. Plus if you are tired of the crowds you can watch wishes from your resort so that is a big bonus!

if you haven't done so yet look over easywdw.com. Josh has great crowd calendars and very very helpful advice.

Last year, I was able to schedule Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for early Christmas morning (8:00), followed by Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast at around 9:10 (if you aren't one of the first appointments at BBB, you probably need to schedule more time in between these ressies but we actually got in early for both). We brought a princess gown from home and I printed an invitation that the "fairy godmother" gave her at the end of her "princess transformation" to have breakfast in the castle. It made a very special and memorable Christmas morning. Hope you have a wonderful vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter