First time to Disney as a diabetic! Also have traumatic brain injury……

billwendy

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed with Covid induced type 2 diabetes recently and am doing insulin shots to help manage my blood sugar. I have peripheral neuropathy pretty bad from my toes to my knees and restless legs sometimes. My sleep patterns are poor. Can someone reassure me and tell me it will work out ok? lol….what do you pack for a day in the park? Where do you eat? How do you keep your insulin pens cool in the heat of the day?

I also have a traumatic brain injury that has given me some permanent issues like balance, ataxia, dystonia, migraines, sensory issues, difficulty with overheating, severe anxiety, delayed decision making….

We are renting a scooter to help. Of course I’m afraid to drive it in crowds and especially to drive it onto the busses, skyliner and boats.

We are staying at the Pop and have a 3 day park ticket for a 6 day trip. I can wear out quickly. We are celebrating our 25th and 30th Anniversaries!

Please help with any suggestions! We are considering after hours at MK. Is it worth it?

So sorry you have all that going on!

Diabetes supplies — bring at least 3-4x what you might typically use in a day. Test often. The heat and humidity, along with the activity, can drop glucose levels quicker than usually.

Have plenty of glucose tabs or gel with you, somewhere that a companion can access for you if needed.

DH uses a FRIO wallet for his pens. You soak it in water for a few minutes then it will keep the pen at temp for up to 3 days. (At temp meaning the temperature when inserted - it doesn’t make anything colder.)

Be careful the room fridge doesn’t get too cold. Freezing will ruin insulin. Most rooms have a beverage cooler now instead of a mini fridge. Some folks bring a thermometer.

Stay hydrated, take breaks, eat well but a Mickey Bar won’t hurt.

Happy anniversary!

So sorry you have all that going on!

Diabetes supplies — bring at least 3-4x what you might typically use in a day. Test often. The heat and humidity, along with the activity, can drop glucose levels quicker than usually.

Have plenty of glucose tabs or gel with you, somewhere that a companion can access for you if needed.

DH uses a FRIO wallet for his pens. You soak it in water for a few minutes then it will keep the pen at temp for up to 3 days. (At temp meaning the temperature when inserted - it doesn’t make anything colder.)

Be careful the room fridge doesn’t get too cold. Freezing will ruin insulin. Most rooms have a beverage cooler now instead of a mini fridge. Some folks bring a thermometer.

Stay hydrated, take breaks, eat well but a Mickey Bar won’t hurt.

Happy anniversary!
Thank you so much! This is the info I need. I’m from Pa where it’s been chilly, so I have no idea how my sugar level will react to the heat and the foods available. Does he bring some of his own food into the parks?

Thank you so much! This is the info I need. I’m from Pa where it’s been chilly, so I have no idea how my sugar level will react to the heat and the foods available. Does he bring some of his own food into the parks?
Yes! It’s a great idea to bring safe foods into the park. You can also bring your bottled water, etc just no glass.

Since you are visiting for the first time since diagnosis, you may want to keep in touch with your physician regarding daily glucose readings. Especially since you may be eating different foods while on your trip. If your Dr has an online portal, you may be able to message them pretty easily and they can help you adjust the insulin injections accordingly. As noted previously, stay hydrated. Drink lots of water.

Eating can be hard, especially if trying to avoid carbs. Disney has lots of foods with lots of carbs. The all you care to eat restaurants may be better options as the family style plates tend to offer more protein options and you can avoid or limit the starchy sides.

Yes! It’s a great idea to bring safe foods into the park. You can also bring your bottled water, etc just no glass.
Great! I like the “hint” brand flavored waters. I can’t do any artificial sweeteners which is a bummer because they give me migraines. Will I be able to get ice to refill my baggie of ice that keeps my little cooler cool? Or a cup of ice to pour my bottled water over?

Since you are visiting for the first time since diagnosis, you may want to keep in touch with your physician regarding daily glucose readings. Especially since you may be eating different foods while on your trip. If your Dr has an online portal, you may be able to message them pretty easily and they can help you adjust the insulin injections accordingly. As noted previously, stay hydrated. Drink lots of water.

Eating can be hard, especially if trying to avoid carbs. Disney has lots of foods with lots of carbs. The all you care to eat restaurants may be better options as the family style plates tend to offer more protein options and you can avoid or limit the starchy sides.
Thanks! I think since I’m a newbie to diabetes, I will call my dr!

Great! I like the “hint” brand flavored waters. I can’t do any artificial sweeteners which is a bummer because they give me migraines. Will I be able to get ice to refill my baggie of ice that keeps my little cooler cool? Or a cup of ice to pour my bottled water over?
Look into the FRIO wallet mentioned earlier. No need to keep refilling ice for your insulin pens.

So sorry you’re dealing with all this. I too have neuropathy (both feet to my thighs and now hands) so I completely u derstand your struggles.

Frio has all sizes of wallets. I have one that can hold 2 pens and one that can hold an insulin vial. Even though I have an insulin pump, my endocrinologist has me bring pens of both long acting and short acting insulin. I look like a drug rep when I travel given that I bring extras of EVERYTHING!

My dietician told me about using jelly beans for low blood sugar. They work fast! Definitely test often!

It's good to carry fast acting glucose (like tablets, etc.) with you but there is so much food sold in the parks you won't be far away from something like a soda or juice to bring up blood sugar if needed. My son has type 1 diabetes and we've been visiting since he was diagnosed about 20 years ago so I've been around the block a few times with this but type 2 has its differences. Make sure to have something in your bag (like tablets) in case you get stuck on a ride. Generally you can just keep your insulin in your purse (like an insulin pen). Unless it's just sitting in the sun on black pavement or up against your body (like an insulin pump might be) - it's probably not going to get so hot that it loses effectiveness. I also agree a little Frio bag is a great idea.

I had a TBI from a bike accident several years ago and Disney was the first vacation I took afterwards because I knew the parks so well I felt comfortable there. You may want to avoid rides that jostle your head - and sadly to this day Expedition Everest gives me a headache and makes me feel awful if I ride it more than once. The Safari ride at AK is insanely bumpy and was uncomfortable. Not sure if that kind of movement would bother you. I suggest not trying to do everything and the After Hours party sounds like a definite yes to me as typically those have been lower crowds - assuming you want to ride the rides.

You could ask a family member to drive the ECV onto busses, skyliner, etc. as long as you can walk a bit. I've never had a problem with this and navigating in crowds. (at least as it relates to having a TBI - being in crowds is just hard anyway lol).

Happy Anniversary!

Thanks Everyone!

I ordered my Frio last night on Amazon. I also got cooling towels for my hubby and I! Do you bring your Stanley type water cup into the park to keep your water cold? Does anyone add flavor to their water? Drops? Powdered mix? Are there any brands without aspartame or other sweeteners? Monk fruit is what I use to sweeten things in general.

How about QS meals…are there any places in the park or at the food court that work for you?

You guys are a great resource for me!

We bring metal reusable water bottles. I even bought a sling-type carrier for them several years ago. It's essentially a neoprene pouch on a lanyard that can be worn cross-body or over one shoulder, or clipped to a pack. We fill at the resort and refill in the parks; QS will provide cups of ice water that you can pour into a waterbottle, or there are some waterbottle filling stations.

Some of us use water flavoring like Mio, but as you mention I'm pretty sure any that I've seen use artificial sweeteners. Maybe there's something else available but not the ones we use. Some of us have also been known to use powdered lemonade, iced tea or Gatorade. Again, watch the packaging to see if they use artificial sweeteners.

TS restaurants will have the most flexibility in adjusting what's on your meal plate -- such as asking for a double veggie serving and skipping the starch, leaving off sauces or breading, etc. QS is often pre-made items that they heat -- for example the chicken may come to them already breaded so it can't be grilled plain. Find your preferred/trusted go-to carb counting source; Disney does not provide much of that info so you'll be guestimating based on other similar products you can look up.

Think about renting a scooter. It cuts down on your walking. You can park the schooner and walk on the line to get on.

I have diabetes 2 also - no insulin - just drugs
I have Diabetic Nephropathy in my feet - not my legs (yet)

No DAS for diabetic people who need a wheel chair - like me - I cannot walk far with a cane which I use just around the house. If I walk too far, my legs get tired, give out and I fall.

I call WDW - still can use Genie + , get on the regular line line and the cast member will help with the wheel chair or scooter - they can also tell you which rides a wheel chair can go on and which rides you have to transfer to out of your wheel chair to go on (can bring a cane on most rides . (like Its a Small World)

Yes you go on the line with your wheel chair with everyone else - they will get over it - since no DAS - The other guests have to wait while the wheel chair is loaded on to the ride and secured or the other guest have to wait while you transfer onto the ride with a cane
Do not listen to any comments - you never know - those young-ins maybe be in a wheel chair one day

There are now wheel chairs with a battery which can go 20 miles and fold for quick storage in a car or on an airplane overhead compartment - just talk to the airline - explain your situation - and you can pre-board with the wheel chair and store it - you just maybe be the last one off the plane - since people seem to run off once landed - only to wait a 30 minutes for their luggage to get off the plane. All airports have elevators - ADA compliant

Also WDW has ADA compliant rooms
too - as do most hotel chains

Eat more fruits and veggies - plain popcorn is OK too, just not too much of it
Lots of carts have fruits and veggies
Or bring some with you to snack on
And Hydrate - Drink Water = lots of it

Eat breakfast, snack at 10 am , lunch, snack at 4 pm, dinner, then maybe a snack at 9 pm
You have to keep your glucose at a steady rate between 75 and 175 range per my monitor
Talk to your Endocrinologist for your range

Talk to WDW before you go for all your ADR's - they will contact the chefs for you

Watch for no sugar items - still can be high in carbs

Use Dexcon or FreeLibre 1,2, or 3 to track your glucose levels

Great way to keep track of yourself by the minute - instead of finger pricks
May mostly be covered by your insurance

Bottom line - Yes you can go to WDW with Diabetes - But know what you can eat and when to eat and DRINK WATER
ENJOY :-) :) :dog2:

Last edited:
Theyll give you a cup of ice at quick service. I also like to freeze a water bottle and put it in my small cooler to keep their stuff cold.

Theyll give you a cup of ice at quick service. I also like to freeze a water bottle and put it in my small cooler to keep their stuff cold.
Thanks! I was wondering! How do you freeze your water bottle at the hotel? Someone said they don’t have freezers in the room mini fridges…..

I have diabetes 2 also - no insulin - just drugs
I have Diabetic Nephropathy in my feet - not my legs (yet)

No DAS for diabetic people who need a wheel chair - like me - I cannot walk far with a cane which I use just around the house. If I walk too far, my legs get tired, give out and I fall.

I call WDW - still can use Genie + , get on the regular line line and the cast member will help with the wheel chair or scooter - they can also tell you which rides a wheel chair can go on and which rides you have to transfer to out of your wheel chair to go on (can bring a cane on most rides . (like Its a Small World)

Yes you go on the line with your wheel chair with everyone else - they will get over it - since no DAS - The other guests have to wait while the wheel chair is loaded on to the ride and secured or the other guest have to wait while you transfer onto the ride with a cane
Do not listen to any comments - you never know - those young-ins maybe be in a wheel chair one day

There are now wheel chairs with a battery which can go 20 miles and fold for quick storage in a car or on an airplane overhead compartment - just talk to the airline - explain your situation - and you can pre-board with the wheel chair and store it - you just maybe be the last one off the plane - since people seem to run off once landed - only to wait a 30 minutes for their luggage to get off the plane. All airports have elevators - ADA compliant

Also WDW has ADA compliant rooms
too - as do most hotel chains

Eat more fruits and veggies - plain popcorn is OK too, just not too much of it
Lots of carts have fruits and veggies
Or bring some with you to snack on
And Hydrate - Drink Water = lots of it

Eat breakfast, snack at 10 am , lunch, snack at 4 pm, dinner, then maybe a snack at 9 pm
You have to keep your glucose at a steady rate between 75 and 175 range per my monitor
Talk to your Endocrinologist for your range

Talk to WDW before you go for all your ADR's - they will contact the chefs for you

Watch for no sugar items - still can be high in carbs

Use Dexcon or FreeLibre 1,2, or 3 to track your glucose levels

Great way to keep track of yourself by the minute - instead of finger pricks
May mostly be covered by your insurance

Bottom line - Yes you can go to WDW with Diabetes - But know what you can eat and when to eat and DRINK WATER
ENJOY :-) :) :dog2:
I have the Libre3. My range is 70-180 then it turns the top banner to yellow. I hated finger pricks!

I’m still not great at knowing what I can eat. Sometimes the same thing can make me go up or down.

I will drink as much water as I can. Unfortunately drinking a lot of water makes me extremely nauseous as I have Gastroparesis and my stomach doesn’t drain well…lol. But I also don’t want to get dehydrated and pass out. I did that and now have a traumatic brain injury.

Thanks for the tip about no sugar items…I have fallen for that trick twice. We are planning on stopping at the market on our way into town for what I need to eat and water also.

Thanks Again!

I’m still not great at knowing what I can eat. Sometimes the same thing can make me go up or down.
Yes - the same amount of the exact same food item can affect you different ways on different days. People with type 1 who are insulin dependent know this very, very, very well. Food with higher fat content can also raise your blood sugar more slowly - which can be good. So a dessert like cheesecake can (in theory) be a better choice than cotton candy for example. Sometimes my son has better luck with a richer dessert (ice cream, cheesecake, etc). Starches can also hit faster or slower. If you're new to this I think it's good to keep an eye on general trends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter