• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-board to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time solo.....

maiyasgram

Mouseketeer
Woo-Hoo....Just finished booking my first solo trip. I have been reading these boards forever and have always wished it were me doing a solo. Now its my turn. I will be staying at POR Riverside 4/27-5/2. I had an AP rate, but was able to use a code for a better price. Any suggestions for a solo would be appreciated.
Thanks, :wave2:

I just returned from my first solo trip on Monday, and I stayed at POR Riverside, it was GREAT! I loved the hotel and had a great time. Now I need to start planning my next trip! Have fun!

maux

When I went on my solo trip, I kept a paperback book or notebook and pen in my backpack. That way, if I wasn't completely comfortable eating by myself at sit-down restaurants, I'd have something to distract myself. Usually, however, the CM waitstaff kept me plenty entertained! Some of them had no problem sitting down with me and chatting for awhile. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

you have got a pretty nice hotel.

what do you want to know?

love my solo trip.

I was going on one in May - I still am - the last part - but the first part someone else is coming.

although I think I might still consider it solo!!!

You're going to have a great time!!! I would leave anything valuable that you really don't need at home (such as alot of jewerly) and bring only what you really need (license, a credit card, an ATM card & a little cash). This way if you lose your wallet, you don't have to call numerous places to cancel. As I'm not a big breakfast eater, I usually bring Nutragrain bars and some like snack stuff to save some $$. Make sure to be comfortable in your surroundings. Double lock your door each and every time you are in it. Don't open for anyone, unless you know them. I bring my backpack with me and always have a book. This helps pass the time waiting for a parade or show to start, and helps while dining too.

I just book Riverside for a trip in early April. Was able to get an AP rate to boot! Kinda surprised to get an AP rate for doing this so last minute. Makes it all the more affordable. I also book the Segway EPCOT Tour. Other then that I am looking forward to 4 days of total vegging (and not being at work!) :jumping1:

I love to travel alone and PO Riverside is very relaxing. I agree that having a paperback book in my fanny pack or a Disney Passporter book, helps to fill waiting time in restaurants.

When I go to the pools or waterparks, I put a Drivers Liscense, Credit Card, Key to the World and Medical ID in a small neck-worn "watersafe", these are sold at the waterparks and some gift shops. That way I don't have to leave anything truly valuable on a pool chair. ;)

A strange thing about traveling alone is that sometimes you don't use your voice alot. Don't be afraid to smile and say "Good morning" to strangers or "Thank you and how's business been today?" to cast members. If you find yourself really lonely for conversation, Grandmas and others who are sitting out the wilder rides are usually pretty chatty. :chat:

One thing I love about traveling alone, which I don't have the opportunity for when I have kids along, is noticing the small details which make Disney Resorts and Parks truly magical. :flower:

I highly recommend spending an evening or two (or five) at Jellyrolls, a dueling piano bar at the Boardwalk. I have been there by myself many times, and always have a blast. The piano players are fantastic. There's a $7 cover charge. Doors open at 7:00, pianos start at 8:00. You can find out the schedule of who will be playing when you go at www.thepianomen.com (the schedule comes out two weeks at a time every other week). I hightly recommend trying to see Scotty and Ray. If you see Scotty, tell him Karen from Boston sent you :)

I usually take a cab back to my resort after a night at Jellyrolls. It's usually less than $10 for a cab.

Have fun planning your solo trip!

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter