First time questions about DL!!

PrincessMack

Earning My Ears
first of all what a great site! Ive been looking for info and disneyland and its all here! anyways, if anyone can answer these questions Id really appreciate it!

Does DL have alot of rides appropriate for small children? My children 46 inches and 41 inches tall (6 and 4 yrs). I read some talk about height restrictions on rides.

Also we are having a hotel dilemna. The DL Resort hotels looks so great but too expensive. We are going for 10 days. We'd like to stay somewhere clean and comfortale, but not a dump. Has anyone been at these hotels? Westcoast Anaheim, Fairfield Inn, Portofino Inn. We picked these because they are 3 star, look nice in the brochure for the price, and offered alot of incentives (4th night free, kids eat free, etc). Any suggestions?

We will be booking everything thru our travel agent because we live so far away (canada) and have never been to DL before. Is it significantly cheaper to book everything directly on your own, does anyone know? This agency offers a 5 for the price of 3 hopper pass, free kids admission to Knotts, Soak City, Universal studios, and we get discounts for Sea World, San diego Zoo and some restaurants.

Im reading alot of posts about having to reserve seats at some neat restaurants and shows. Is there a book I can get somewhere that has all this info?

Im sure Ill think of more questions as we get closer. We are going Oct1-10. Any tips anyone has for us would be great!

Thanks in advance!:pinkbounc

Don't worry about the heights. There will only be a few rides they can't ride. I took my nieces last year (4 and 6) and the only rides they couldn't do were Indian Jones and Space Mountain. They rode everything else. There is nothing in Fantasyland that they can't ride!!!! As for CA I don't know, it wasn't opened last time I went.

As for the hotels the Portofino is the only one you listed that I've stayed at and it was nice. We usually always stay at the Candy Cane Inn (right next door to CA) you should check it out. They remodeled a few years ago and you get a lot for the price. The continental breakfast is one of the best I've ever had and the kids love the pool. The rooms are very nice and the beds are very comfy!!!!! They also have their own private shuttle to the parks, but it was close enough that we walked most of the time.

Sounds like your agent is giving you a pretty good deal and also it's worth saving the hastle and letting someone else handle the bookings.

As for a book, we found a couple at Barnes & Noble online called The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland 2001 and Disneyland and Southern California with Kids, 2002-2003. Both have a lot of good info you should check them out.

Hope you have a blast. We'll be there the end of September and can hardly wait!!! My nieces keep asking if we are going the day after tomorrow on a daily basis. They love it.

:pinkbounc

I haven't stayed at the hotels you mentioned, but may I also recommend Best Western Park Place Inn, which is directly across the street from the entrance, and Howard Johnson which is a little further away, but still walking distance. I've also heard terrific things about Desert Inn and Suites which apparently include a refrigerator and microwave.

As far as packages are concerned, I have found that a lot of times you can come out ahead with DL packages (unlike WDW). I've gotten some packages through the former Magic Kingdom Club, and also Howard Johnson's who had their own package at one time which included passes to selected parks (choose 2 or something like that).

I would go to the official websites of the parks you're visiting to find out the ticket prices (be sure to find out whehter or not prices include tax, it can make a big difference), then "break down" the cost of the package. However, from what you've said, it sounds like your TA is giving you a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the tips. Im glad the portofino was nice because I was leaning towards that one. I dont have the Candy Cane inn on my brochure though. I wonder why.
thanks again, anybody else?:earsgirl:

Not much info here, but I did drive by the Portofino while we were visiting California and DL last week, and commented that it looked nice.

Just returned from a stay at the Portofina Inn. It had a real nice room (kids Suite) king bed and the rest of the room could be separted by sliding doors and had a double sofa bed and a set a bunk beds. The room also had a small refrigerator and microwave. The shuttle would run every thirty minutes from the corner. It also picked up at three other hotels. It worked well for our family of six. We usually ended up walking to the park. I would also check out the Candy Cane Inn. It looked real nice and had its own private shuttle. Also you wouldn't have to cross any major streets if staying there.

We always stay at the Candy Cane Inn also.

Here is a link to some info and photos of Candy Cane. The AAA rate we paid was $72 plus tax for a standard room but they upgraded us to a deluxe.

Candy Cane Inn

I found an even better book for first timers to Disneyland. It's Birnbaum's 2001 - Disneyland Resort. It has very detailed instructions on everything from on-site resorts to off-site hotels, all restaurants in both parks, descriptions of rides and height requirements, it even has tons of pictures of everything. VERY GOOD Book. I would highly recomend getting it. I'm a veteran and there was a lot of informative info for me.

I'm a big fan of Birnbaum's too. I don't know why I didn't buy it this year since they now have DCA. I'd better get the 2002 one before I go back.

thanks for all the great responses!
The Candy Cane Inn looks great! Im leaning towards that one now! AH! Decisions decisions!

Im also goin to try to find that book. I live in Canada, hope its here. Thanks again everyone!:p :wave:

Just go out to Barnes & Noble on-line and you can order it for around $14 plus s&h. This is where we got it. By going on line you save versus going to the store.

I recently purchased both books that Casiland mentioned and I really love the Disneyland and Southern California w/kids 2002-2003... It goes into great detail about the parks, hotels and restaurant (much more than the Unofficial guide and is twice the book that Birmbaugh's book) Has fun little trivia & helpful hints listed throughout the book. I would recommend that one highly!!!

we stayed FairField Inn last December and LOVED it!!! when we go back in December we are gonna stay there again..it was wonderful....in about 10 minutes(walking) you can be at DL!! really any of the hotels right there you can be to DL in about 10 minutes..its convient and its a lot cheaper than any of the DL resorts....i wouldnt mind staying at one of them though!! :p :p

I have never been at any of the other hotels but if you could fit it in the budget staying at one the resorts is great we stayed at Pardise pier it was great. I booked it though the Disney Club. I think I got a good deal. Staying at the resort you get all the little perks and you feel so special.

I currently have reservations for a suite at the Portofino, but everyone seems to rave about the Candy Cane Inn. Do they have suites available or only standard rooms?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter