First time on a cruise since 2010

JBelle19

Mouseketeer
We just booked a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on Voyager of the Seas , stopping in St. Croix, Totrtola, and CoCoCay. We sail July 2023, so we have quite a while. Any pro tips? warnings? ship reviews? Excursion advice? I feel completely lost! The only other time we have cruised was in 2010 and it was with Carnival.

Watch Royal Caribbean Blog, Tips for Travellers and La Lida Loca for some good basic info on things like drink packages, maybe excursions, etc. And I think the DIS has a list of "first time DCL cruiser" information that will have a lot of applicable information for you as well.

I haven't been on Voyager, so I can't speak specifically about that ship, or that class of ship, really.

With that said, I would advise the following general tips:
- Fly in the day before if you're in a position to do so. That way you won't have to worry about flight delays and such, plus you'll have time to pick up items that you may have forgotten to pack.
- It's very easy to use Uber/Lyft around FLL, so don't worry too much about transportation.
- Check Royal's cruise planner maybe once a week until 2023 hits. For a July cruise, prices for Drink packages, photo packages and cabanas will probably be lowest around Black Friday.
- I don't think you need a passport for this cruise, but as a Canadian I always have mine with me.
- Don't overpack.
- While onboard, don't rush around trying to do everything, because you won't be able to. Relax, take your time and enjoy!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter