First time off site - need help

funmaymom

Earning My Ears
We have made many week long Disney trips but have always stayed onsite usually with a meal plan all purchased from the Disney site so it was easy to make dining and FP+ reservations because it is all linked in the MDE.

Our next trip we will be staying off site (July 2016) and I feel at a loss for making plans - FP+ and dining.
We're still debating if we'll be buying AP or 7 days of MYW tickets and we also may buy them through AAA but which ever way we decide I have these questions.
Questions
- if I buy from AAA how do I link them to MDE?
- if I buy tickets via the Disney website or AAA how does DME know WHEN I plan to go? So they know when my 30 day mark is to make FP+ reservations.
- how long do Magic Bands last? We have them from our last trip but that was in 2013.

Thank you!

When you buy the tickets, you should be given a ticket number. You log into MDE and link them to the correct person. You can also call the Disney phone number and they'll be able to do it for you if you give them the ticket numbers. This is the easier method if you are not sure what you're doing. The website doesn't know when you intend on going if you're staying off property, you can only book 30 days out from any given day. You may still be able to use your magic bands that you already have. We've been getting them for all of our trips since 2013 but I recently used one I decorated from 2013 on our quick December trip and it worked just fine.

We have made many week long Disney trips but have always stayed onsite usually with a meal plan all purchased from the Disney site so it was easy to make dining and FP+ reservations because it is all linked in the MDE.

Our next trip we will be staying off site (July 2016) and I feel at a loss for making plans - FP+ and dining.
We're still debating if we'll be buying AP or 7 days of MYW tickets and we also may buy them through AAA but which ever way we decide I have these questions.
Questions
1. if I buy from AAA how do I link them to MDE?

2. if I buy tickets via the Disney website or AAA how does DME know WHEN I plan to go? So they know when my 30 day mark is to make FP+ reservations.

3. how long do Magic Bands last? We have them from our last trip but that was in 2013.

Thank you!

1. I haven't gone since MDE was introduced, but I just now checked the app and had no trouble figuring out how to link tickets. You go to My Profile, click on Tickets & Packages, then Get Started. Then click on Ticket or Pass, and you can either scan the barcode or enter the ID number.

2. MDE (not DME ;)) doesn't need to know when you're going. Since you're not staying on property, you can book FP+ for any date within 30 days of the current date - so for instance today you could book for any date from now through Feb 9. You just need to wait until you're within 30 days of your arrival.

3. The batteries in Magic Bands supposedly have a life of 2 years, however the battery is really only needed for long range things like ride photos and I believe getting your food delivered to your table at BoG. It's not needed for things like park entry, FP, entering your hotel room, etc.

As @Oswin said, once you buy your ticket there will be a ticket number on it. Just sign in and make whatever reservations that you can. You have a smaller window if offsite, but, I never found that to be a problem. I'm adverse to spending gobs of money on dining when I can get the same stuff offsite for much less and no reservations are required, but, to each his own.

That leaves Fastpass+. Last time I went I only had 9 days notice and managed to get just about every Fastpass I was looking for. If you don't have conflicting ADR's it is very flexible and the timing was really good for me. Depending on what is more important to you, Fastpass or ADR's, whichever means the most to you, should be the first thing you aim for. Then fill in the others during the times you have open.

If you buy from AAA they give you a voucher & those numbers can be put into MDE. Real easy. If they are APs you can convert the voucher to a hard AP ticket at any park or at Disney Springs. I've done this for years.

Just got back from staying off site. It was a breeze to link my tix to my magic bands and MDE and all my reservations. MDE website pretty much walks you through it. PM me if you need help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter