• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

first time in a loooong time

gap2368

DIS Veteran
so I go to Disney a lot ( about once month ) but this will be the first time in about 25 year I will be there and first time with an RV so I have some question.

1 can you have an RV ( 33 foot )and 2 cars on a site if not were can you park the extra car

2 where would be a good loop so that it is easy to take Disney transportation to the parks

3 if our site is not ready when we get there is there any place to plug in to keep the things in the fridge cold

we will be there the day before some of the people I am going with have tickets ( I mango over earlier and go to the park) where would you recomind having dinner that would be for 2 people in there late 60s who have been to Disney a number of time form park opening to the lat 90s I was thinking going over to wilderness lodge

Glad to have you posting on the Camping Board, gap2368.

To answer your questions:

1. Technically the rule is one car on a site. In practice people put two as long as they are "mostly/all" on the concrete drive and not sticking out into the road. That makes a difference since the Premium sites are 18' wide paved and the other types (Full, Preferred, Tent) are 12' wide paved. So it's easy to put two vehicles on a Premium, tougher on the others. Vehicles that don't fit on the site can be stashed out in the main parking area of the Fort where you check in on the far end (referred to as the Overflow Parking area).

2. A good loop for Transportation has a split answer. The boat to the MK makes the lake end (the Settlement area) of the Fort desirable. The external buses to the other parks leave from the opposite end of the Fort (the Outpost area) up near the check-in building. Internal buses run inside the Fort to get you to either end but they can be infrequent in the early morning time. We stay at the Settlement end mostly now, boat to MK, and drive to the other parks (free parking for on-site guests).

3. If you check-in and your pre-assigned site is not ready for you, you are generally given two options. One is to wait for it and the second is to be moved to an available site of the same level (or better if same is also not available and if there is space). So you have the option. There are no places to plug into shore power while waiting for your site to become available.

Do you have a reservation yet? When will you be there? What type of site do you have/want? Good luck to you.

Bama Ed

Glad to have you posting on the Camping Board, gap2368.

To answer your questions:

1. Technically the rule is one car on a site. In practice people put two as long as they are "mostly/all" on the concrete drive and not sticking out into the road. That makes a difference since the Premium sites are 18' wide paved and the other types (Full, Preferred, Tent) are 12' wide paved. So it's easy to put two vehicles on a Premium, tougher on the others. Vehicles that don't fit on the site can be stashed out in the main parking area of the Fort where you check in on the far end (referred to as the Overflow Parking area).

2. A good loop for Transportation has a split answer. The boat to the MK makes the lake end (the Settlement area) of the Fort desirable. The external buses to the other parks leave from the opposite end of the Fort (the Outpost area) up near the check-in building. Internal buses run inside the Fort to get you to either end but they can be infrequent in the early morning time. We stay at the Settlement end mostly now, boat to MK, and drive to the other parks (free parking for on-site guests).

3. If you check-in and your pre-assigned site is not ready for you, you are generally given two options. One is to wait for it and the second is to be moved to an available site of the same level (or better if same is also not available and if there is space). So you have the option. There are no places to plug into shore power while waiting for your site to become available.

Do you have a reservation yet? When will you be there? What type of site do you have/want? Good luck to you.

Bama Ed

thank you for your answer

we are going down at the end of April I had a hotel booked for the week then my parent decided that if they were going to see me for my birthday then they would have to go to Disney with a new RV and Newley retired they decided to join me. they will be about an hour away ( so from check out to check in there might be an hour but I think we should be ok) camping the week before and just staying have a week at Disney with me then I will be going to the hotel for the last part of the week.

I think what we will try to do is have a camp site at the end so we can take the boat to MK and drive to the other park ( or maybe just drive to the other end and take Disney transportation dose this campsite have full hook up?

we have a 2 door jeep and a car so there is a chance we could fit 2 in but if not I do not mind parking my car ( ever other time I am at Disney I park my car and do not see it until it is time to go ( I hate driving with a passion )

I am really hoping my parent fall in love with disney the fort so they will come back I love disney so much I try to go as often as I can so this will be nice if they went once or twice a year.

are they any must do for the first day they only have a 3 day ticket I have an AP and we are coming on a Sunday and spending Monday- Wednesday in the parks then they are leaving Thursday and I will be hated to the hotel for the rest of my stay I am thinking of going to wilderness lodge and looking around but like I said it was the early 90s we beat camped and I think that was park all day type of thing so we did not spend any time at the camp grounds.

I remember when we stayed close to the boat the sites were a little more cramped and I've read a little more inconvenient for getting in and out of depending on the driver I guess. For two vehicles you'd probably from my recollection, have to park the 2nd in the overflow parking. As for keeping your food cool in the refrigerator without power, the RV I assume has battery power to run the fridge (or propane) such as would be used when they are travelling on the road? Just make sure your source of power is full.

I remember when we stayed close to the boat the sites were a little more cramped and I've read a little more inconvenient for getting in and out of depending on the driver I guess. For two vehicles you'd probably from my recollection, have to park the 2nd in the overflow parking. As for keeping your food cool in the refrigerator without power, the RV I assume has battery power to run the fridge (or propane) such as would be used when they are travelling on the road? Just make sure your source of power is full.
good to know about the sites being smaller yes we do run the generator when going down the road just not sure we wanted to keep it on ( as you know they are loud) while waiting for our site. with 3 people and 2 cars one car can easel be left at the over flow lot for a few days.

gap2368,

Since your folks are going to be there Sunday-Thursday with 3 days in the parks, it sounds like they won't be around the Fort much except on their check-in and check-out days which may be of half day length or less.

Make sure they:

1. Get down to see the big Horse Barn at the Tri-Circle D Ranch down by Trails End
2. Sit and relax in the rocking chairs on the Trails End porch (facing the lake is my favorite with a cold beverage) and post a picture of feet on the rail in our Kickin' It thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/kickin-it-at-the-fort.3395574/ (my folks are in some pictures in this thread)
3. Go by the campfire singalong with Chip & Dale to see everyone (forever young at heart).
4. Walk around some of the loops and check out other people's set-ups (known as "looping").
5. Play a game of checkers in the Meadow Trading Post on the board that's always set up by the fireplace and see if there are any souvenirs they might want.
6. It's hard to say when the deer and/or turkeys might wander by but the squirrel mafia is always out and about so nature watching is fun.

Those are my suggestions. When we go for a week or so we do 1-2 park days and leave lots of time to enjoy the Fort itself.

Bama Ed

Welcome to the Fort! Gives me goosebumps to say that and be able to be here now! Still surreal
We are in 500 loop and the sites are some of the largest. We rented an off property golf cart (Tee Time Golf) and it's a 2 min drive to the settlement easy peasy. But we walk it as well and its not too far. I find 500 very peaceful within reason . I don't recommend it but have seen on this trip sometimes 3 cars plus the RV. It's a shame how many cars are parking off the driveway IMHO. Yes it sand and rough foillage but I find it disrespectful . We are close to retirement and if your parents don't fall in love as we have with the Fort, it would be shocking!

I don't recommend it but have seen on this trip sometimes 3 cars plus the RV. It's a shame how many cars are parking off the driveway IMHO. Yes it sand and rough foillage but I find it disrespectful .

What frustrates me are when they make rules, but either don't enforce them, or just sporadically.

Between the non-existent cart rules and the non enforcement of vehicles parking where they should (and 'not' blocking the road) makes me a unhappy camper sometimes. Especially when you are trying to get through with your rig and not hit any vehicles or damage your own, and being nearly rundown by an over loaded cart with underage drivers.

Wish they would enforce rules they have for everyone's safety and enjoyment. Most campgrounds we are at usually are very good about enforcing their rules.

Welcome to the Fort! Gives me goosebumps to say that and be able to be here now! Still surreal
We are in 500 loop and the sites are some of the largest. We rented an off property golf cart (Tee Time Golf) and it's a 2 min drive to the settlement easy peasy. But we walk it as well and its not too far. I find 500 very peaceful within reason . I don't recommend it but have seen on this trip sometimes 3 cars plus the RV. It's a shame how many cars are parking off the driveway IMHO. Yes it sand and rough foillage but I find it disrespectful . We are close to retirement and if your parents don't fall in love as we have with the Fort, it would be shocking!
I hope they fall in love with the fort mainly it means more trips to Disney for me. But living a few hours from Disney my parents want to go out west and see out there some

I will look at the 500 looop

I hope they fall in love with the fort mainly it means more trips to Disney for me. But living a few hours from Disney my parents want to go out west and see out there some

I will look at the 500 looop

Hahah I live pretty far "out west "! Made the DH drive me here from Oregon , lol.

What frustrates me are when they make rules, but either don't enforce them, or just sporadically.

Between the non-existent cart rules and the non enforcement of vehicles parking where they should (and 'not' blocking the road) makes me a unhappy camper sometimes. Especially when you are trying to get through with your rig and not hit any vehicles or damage your own, and being nearly rundown by an over loaded cart with underage drivers.

Wish they would enforce rules they have for everyone's safety and enjoyment. Most campgrounds we are at usually are very good about enforcing their rules.
out of all the times I have been camping with my parents ( and they go out about 2X a month) I have never parked on the road/ in another lot we have always gotten the car(s) on our spot and if not we park the extra one some other place. Yes I want my car to leave the same way it came and a small car vs a RV I think the RV will win any day. and no did not mean to start anything just was wandering if it was do able but I know very spot is little different and every RV/ cars so I think it will be if we can get them both to fit we might try it if not no big deal I can park my car in the over flow lot

When we go next year if our Equinox does not fit with our RV we are fortunate that our daughter will have a cabin and we will park it there seeing they will not have a vehicle of their own.

out of all the times I have been camping with my parents ( and they go out about 2X a month) I have never parked on the road/ in another lot we have always gotten the car(s) on our spot and if not we park the extra one some other place. Yes I want my car to leave the same way it came and a small car vs a RV I think the RV will win any day. and no did not mean to start anything just was wandering if it was do able but I know very spot is little different and every RV/ cars so I think it will be if we can get them both to fit we might try it if not no big deal I can park my car in the over flow lot

Oh Gap I truly was not aiming any of my comments at you! You haven't been here as you said and were simply getting all your plans in order! That's the responsible thing IMHO and you clearly care very much! I am thinking we were speaking of those who dDONT care! Don't shy away and I apologize if I frightened you at all. These boards were so instrumental in planning my own trip. Please stay and ask away. As a teacher once told me in
School, " the only wrong question is the one not asked".

Oh, trust me, this had nothing to do with you opening this thread! :goodvibes The situation with people taking up space on the street leaving little room for us (anyone) to get through to our site and park has been going on for quite some time.

The people that do this have to know who they are, and the difficulty maneuvering with large rigs as 'they' seem to be the worst offenders with their super large towing trucks parked on edge/out in the street.

Just looking at some of these posts made me think of some of our experiences and have a 'little' rant :( aimed at Disney for not being more proactive/active in enforcing their rules. :tilt:
:confused3

Oh, trust me, this had nothing to do with you opening this thread! :goodvibes The situation with people taking up space on the street leaving little room for us (anyone) to get through to our site and park has been going on for quite some time.

The people that do this have to know who they are, and the difficulty maneuvering with large rigs as 'they' seem to be the worst offenders with their super large towing trucks parked on edge/out in the street.

Just looking at some of these posts made me think of some of our experiences and have a 'little' rant :( aimed at Disney for not being more proactive/active in enforcing their rules. :tilt:
:confused3
no worries we all need to rant at some time,

Oh Gap I truly was not aiming any of my comments at you! You haven't been here as you said and were simply getting all your plans in order! That's the responsible thing IMHO and you clearly care very much! I am thinking we were speaking of those who dDONT care! Don't shy away and I apologize if I frightened you at all. These boards were so instrumental in planning my own trip. Please stay and ask away. As a teacher once told me in
School, " the only wrong question is the one not asked".
oh I love the DIS and I hope to be a more frequent visitor on here with money more trips planned

oh one more question what loops are full hook up ( or if it is easer what loops are not full hook ups) thanks

1600 1700 1800 1900 are full hook-up pet loops and 2100 is full hook-up non pet loop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter