First time driving.....what to bring?

deedeew80

Dreaming of My Prince
Hi everyone! Now that it is getting closer to our trip (end of November) I'm starting to really get serious about what we need to bring with us in the car. I already have all the entertaining things for the kids out of the way. But what else should we be taking? We will be driving from NJ and leaving the day after (early morning) Thanksgiving. Probably about 3am. Hoping that will get us in the Disney area sometime that Friday evening. We check in to our Disney Resort on Saturday, the 24th. Anyway. Hoping the kids will go back to sleep, so thinking we will need a pillow and blanket for them. Snacks, sandwiches so we don't have to stop to eat for lunch at least. Drinks. Car charges for phones & tablets. Napkins. Tissues. :confused3 I feel like I'm drawing a blank here trying to think of anything else. Thanks for any suggestions!

It sounds like you have it covered. I’d just bring whatever you normally bring when you drive somewhere. I’m sure this is a longer ride, but you really don’t need a lot in the car.

We drove last year with our son, who was 18 months at the time and are driving again in 2.5 weeks...he will be just shy of 3. I’m planning on bringing CDs with music he likes and movies for the DVD player. He’s not old enough to work a tablet independently (although I’m sure he would tell you differently). He also can’t have a pillow since he’s in a harnesses car seat. We prefer to stop for all meals...he doesn’t do so well sitting for long periods of time. We also split our drive into 2 days (16 hours from Illinois).

Bottom line is that different families have different needs when traveling, but it sounds like you’ve got this well thought out already! And since you’re driving, if you realize you need something, you can always stop and get it. That’s one reason I don’t sweat packing when we drive. Outside of prescription medication, nothing is really irreplaceable.

It sounds like you have it covered. I’d just bring whatever you normally bring when you drive somewhere. I’m sure this is a longer ride, but you really don’t need a lot in the car.

We drove last year with our son, who was 18 months at the time and are driving again in 2.5 weeks...he will be just shy of 3. I’m planning on bringing CDs with music he likes and movies for the DVD player. He’s not old enough to work a tablet independently (although I’m sure he would tell you differently). He also can’t have a pillow since he’s in a harnesses car seat. We prefer to stop for all meals...he doesn’t do so well sitting for long periods of time. We also split our drive into 2 days (16 hours from Illinois).

Bottom line is that different families have different needs when traveling, but it sounds like you’ve got this well thought out already! And since you’re driving, if you realize you need something, you can always stop and get it. That’s one reason I don’t sweat packing when we drive. Outside of prescription medication, nothing is really irreplaceable.
So true!! Having our car really does allow us the ability to get something if we need it!! Prescriptions!! Need to add that to the list!!

Whatever you want! We bring a cooler with things we like--chicken salad from a specific deli, cut up fruit and veggies, cheese, pasta salad, etc. and we have a picnic lunch at a rest area, then we have the rest of it to snack on in our hotel room or condo later. Plastic ware, paper towels, paper plates. DVD player (although only one now instead of two), phones, ipads, chargers, etc.

We bring our iced tea pot a lot of the time, crockpot (if staying in a condo, not a hotel room), laundry basket with beach towels. We pack everything except clothes in a plastic tote to make it easier. Shampoo, conditioner, dish soap (if needed), laundry soap, sunscreen, all of that kind of stuff goes in a smaller plastic tote in case of leaks.

DH & I both put a copy of our eyeglasses prescription in the glove box, if case of lost/broken glasses or rx sunglasses. I always bring our comforter for the bed, as I tend to be too cold in hotel rooms.

Check out your route online and get a list of exits that have rest stops! Trust me, if you decide to skip a pit stop you will want to know how far it is before you'll find another bathroom. Try https://www.interstaterestareas.com/

Maybe a window shade for the kids? It can really suck if you get stuck on the side of the car that's in the sun for hours.

A few other ideas:
  • A garbage bag to hold your trash until the next rest stop
  • Chip clips or clothes pins to hold closed the tops of non-resealable snack packages
  • Ziploc bags: Not for anything in particular, but we always take along a few and find they seem to come in handy
  • I hate to bring this up, but having made many long drives with my children at various ages, I recommend carrying some small garbage bags to be used, ummm, in a manner similar to airplane "airsick" bags if necessary. It's not something you want to think about, but it can happen.
  • A big bag of patience since I assume you'll be spending much of your drive on I-95 (ugh).
Have a great trip!

I don't know what road you're using, so hopefully this will help.

We love using a book called Drive I-95. It's got a ton of information of everything on the way, has highly detailed maps of the route and outlines all of the hotels, restaurants, gas stations etc at each exit plus shows every rest stop along the way. We use it to mark hotels and restaurants that we've used at their exits just to get a sense of each trip, remember what we liked, etc. Did you know that the mile markers count down on the way to Florida, so when you see Exit 50, that means 50 miles to the end of the state. The book told us!

shopping

We like bringing hard boiled eggs and cheese sticks for quick protein snacks, nuts, M&Ms, pop tarts, granola bars. DH and I usually don't like to eat full meals on the road, we just plan on one restaurant stop on the way, either a late lunch or dinner when we stop for the night. For the kids, we'll grab something at a drive-through. At rest stops, we make sure everyone gets fresh snacks and drinks so we don't have to do it while driving.

We have lots of paper bowls and a lap tray for each kid to put their food on.

Make sure you have some sort of roadside assistance, either AAA or through your auto insurance so you have someone to call right away if anything goes wrong.

EZ Pass for everything until Florida, then you can pick up a SunPass at the Florida Welcome Center, or have a couple rolls of quarters so you can go through toll booths without having to stop and give the money. We love using 417 instead of I-4 through Orlando. You get off I-4 at Sanford and it takes you all the way to WDW. There are 6-7 toll booths along the way. Just don't listen to your GPS/Maps when you get on there. It will constantly try to get you to exit and get back to I-4. Just know that once you're on 417, you can turn onto International Drive or straight to World Drive at Disney - you'll never have to turn before that.

We plan on no more than 3 hours each driving shift.

Have you looked at the "For 2000 miles+ drivers" thread? It's got a ton of information and still the nicest thread on the DISboards! No one gets annoyed if you ask the same question that's been asked a hundred times before. The people there welcome new drivers, we're kinda proud of our status as non-flyers lol. So always willing to help with whatever questions you have.

Oh! I forgot to mention that the last time we drove, I ordered the $5 SunPass sticker for my car. It was so nice to have that and not stop for tolls. I just put some $ on it for our upcoming trip.

I don't know what road you're using, so hopefully this will help.

We love using a book called Drive I-95. It's got a ton of information of everything on the way, has highly detailed maps of the route and outlines all of the hotels, restaurants, gas stations etc at each exit plus shows every rest stop along the way. We use it to mark hotels and restaurants that we've used at their exits just to get a sense of each trip, remember what we liked, etc. Did you know that the mile markers count down on the way to Florida, so when you see Exit 50, that means 50 miles to the end of the state. The book told us!

shopping

We like bringing hard boiled eggs and cheese sticks for quick protein snacks, nuts, M&Ms, pop tarts, granola bars. DH and I usually don't like to eat full meals on the road, we just plan on one restaurant stop on the way, either a late lunch or dinner when we stop for the night. For the kids, we'll grab something at a drive-through. At rest stops, we make sure everyone gets fresh snacks and drinks so we don't have to do it while driving.

We have lots of paper bowls and a lap tray for each kid to put their food on.

Make sure you have some sort of roadside assistance, either AAA or through your auto insurance so you have someone to call right away if anything goes wrong.

EZ Pass for everything until Florida, then you can pick up a SunPass at the Florida Welcome Center, or have a couple rolls of quarters so you can go through toll booths without having to stop and give the money. We love using 417 instead of I-4 through Orlando. You get off I-4 at Sanford and it takes you all the way to WDW. There are 6-7 toll booths along the way. Just don't listen to your GPS/Maps when you get on there. It will constantly try to get you to exit and get back to I-4. Just know that once you're on 417, you can turn onto International Drive or straight to World Drive at Disney - you'll never have to turn before that.

We plan on no more than 3 hours each driving shift.

Have you looked at the "For 2000 miles+ drivers" thread? It's got a ton of information and still the nicest thread on the DISboards! No one gets annoyed if you ask the same question that's been asked a hundred times before. The people there welcome new drivers, we're kinda proud of our status as non-flyers lol. So always willing to help with whatever questions you have.
Thank you so much for all this great advice!! I really appreciate it! I have been on the other thread you mentioned and I agree, everyone there is so welcoming!

[QUOTE/="Have you looked at the "For 2000 miles+ drivers" thread?[/QUOTE]

Lot's of great information shared in that thread

4 cans of Monster energy drink 2 for going 2 for heading home. I make the trip solo or with a copilot.

We drive from NJ also. I recommend leaving closer to midnight even 10pm. If you don't wast time at rest stops you'll be in SC as the sun rises. WDW by 1-2 enjoy the pool if your room isn't ready.

Take MD295 (exit a mile or two after the Baltimore tunnel toll) to bypass the beltway. You will end up just east of the Virginia line on I495

A fully cancelable reservation in Georgia (or download the hoteltonight app) in case you realize neither one of you is able to stay awake enough to continue driving.

You said you hope to arrive Friday evening but your reservation starts Saturday?

[QUOTE/="Have you looked at the "For 2000 miles+ drivers" thread?

Lot's of great information shared in that thread

4 cans of Monster energy drink 2 for going 2 for heading home. I make the trip solo or with a copilot.

We drive from NJ also. I recommend leaving closer to midnight even 10pm. If you don't wast time at rest stops you'll be in SC as the sun rises. WDW by 1-2 enjoy the pool if your room isn't ready.

Take MD295 (exit a mile or two after the Baltimore tunnel toll) to bypass the beltway. You will end up just east of the Virginia line on I495[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, my kids won’t sleep in the car overnight so that is why we are leaving at 3am. That way they have at least slept a bit prior to that. We don’t check in to our Disney resort until Saturday so we will just be spending the night (catching up on sleep) off site. Allow us to wake up fresh and ready for the parks the next day!

A fully cancelable reservation in Georgia (or download the hoteltonight app) in case you realize neither one of you is able to stay awake enough to continue driving.

You said you hope to arrive Friday evening but your reservation starts Saturday?
I did download the hotel tonight app for that reason! We plan on leaving at 3am so hopefully we will be able to make the straight drive. Yes, we will be arriving the night before our reservation begins. Since we are driving I wanted to give an extra night to catch up on sleep and then we will be fresh and ready to head to the parks the next day!

Where do you plan to sleep the extra night? There is a chance your room might be ready a little earlier than the 3 pm check in time, but you can't check in until either 6 or 7 am on the day your reservation starts (I can't remember which time the computers roll over).

Where do you plan to sleep the extra night? There is a chance your room might be ready a little earlier than the 3 pm check in time, but you can't check in until either 6 or 7 am on the day your reservation starts (I can't remember which time the computers roll over).
I have been currently trying to find a place. Since it is the day after Thanksgiving a lot of hotels in the Disney area are a bit high plus resort fee and parking fee. Looking a bit further out now. We don’t mind if our room isn’t ready when we check in, more than likely it won’t be. We head right to the parks!

I think they're planning to sleep in their car in the parking lot?
Is that not allowed?! :rotfl2:

Oh! I forgot to mention that the last time we drove, I ordered the $5 SunPass sticker for my car. It was so nice to have that and not stop for tolls. I just put some $ on it for our upcoming trip.

I have one of these stickers from a few years ago on my car. Does anyone know if they expire or only last so long?

Thanks!

I have one of these stickers from a few years ago on my car. Does anyone know if they expire or only last so long?

Thanks!

I haven’t heard anything about them expiring. I know they can’t be transferred from one car to another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter