First time cruisers question

CdnDisneyFan

<font color=FF0033>Tigger, he is oh so cute!<br><f
Hi there, neither my husband or myself have ever been on any type of cruise, but it's on both of our bucket lists, and I have been to WDW more times than I can count, he has never been, so I was wondering, for a first timer to Disney world, would 3 days be enough? We are considering taking a 4 night sea/3 night land (or whatever it is) cruise in November for my 50th, but I can't take two weeks off from work, so we can't add any extra time at the parks.

Do we suck it up and do the cruise, or wait and just do a week at the parks?

Hi there, neither my husband or myself have ever been on any type of cruise, but it's on both of our bucket lists, and I have been to WDW more times than I can count, he has never been, so I was wondering, for a first timer to Disney world, would 3 days be enough? We are considering taking a 4 night sea/3 night land (or whatever it is) cruise in November for my 50th, but I can't take two weeks off from work, so we can't add any extra time at the parks.

For me, personally, anything less that 7 nights is just not something I'm interested in doing.

That said, there a tons of people who've only done 3 & 4 night cruises. And, I'll admit, I have done 2 4 night cruises. You don't really have a lot of time to enjoy a whole lot while onboard, but it will give you a "taste" of what's available.

I don't think 3 days is enough for WDW, either. It's at least 5 days for me.

We've done it. It was our first cruise and we weren't sure we'd like it or not. So we booked the 3 night and spend the rest of our vacation at WDW. I think the trip was 10 days total. It was definitely fun and we have no regrets. In a perfect world I'd like a week or two at the parks and then a week on the ship, but then real life gets in the way of planning things like that. I will say that 3-4 days at WDW is really short if you haven't been there before. We did a 9 day trip a couple of years ago, with a 4-day cruise in the middle, and it was hard to see everything we wanted to in the parks. I prefer the 4 night to the 3 night, but again it depends on how much time you have. We have taken a longer cruise, and plan to take another one this summer, but not from FL since those itineraries don't really appeal to my family. ETA - we don't live near FL, so it's expensive and time consuming for us to get there, so I can't imagine flying into MCO and NOT going to the parks. But if you live closer and can easily get back then it would be easier to do the parks and then return for the cruise.

For me, personally, anything less that 7 nights is just not something I'm interested in doing.

That said, there a tons of people who've only done 3 & 4 night cruises. And, I'll admit, I have done 2 4 night cruises. You don't really have a lot of time to enjoy a whole lot while onboard, but it will give you a "taste" of what's available.

I don't think 3 days is enough for WDW, either. It's at least 5 days for me.

Generally agreed. The only reason I'm doing a 4-night in 2019 is that it's a Double Dip to Castaway AND over my birthday (and the 5-night is significantly more expensive for just adding in a sea day). Otherwise it's pretty much a 7-night. (I will likely do a 4-night with pre- and maybe post-stay at WDW - but I've been a bunch and will focus on one park and/or Disney Springs - but that is also because I do not like Star Wars and don't want to subject myself to that on a cruise which is what the 7-night DCL ones are in February.)

And I definitely agree about the parks. Unless you're experienced and can take or leave one or more, minimum 5 nights.

I'm not a fan of the 3 night/4 night land/sea split. WDW and Port Canaveral aren't that close to each other, so, you end up spending very little time on the ship and at WDW and driving a lot in between. I would either pick 7 nights at WDW or a 7 night cruise.

We've done 3+4 night land/sea a few times. It's a good taste of the cruising and gets you geared up for an eventual 7-night trip. For those who've never cruised and aren't sure how they'll enjoy it, it's a good way to start out. And if it's all you can do, it's better than nothing.

You don't mention if there will be children of any sort with you or just adults so I am going with just adults only with my suggestions.

First time at Disney World would require more than 3 days in order to really experience everything. And a 4 night cruise is a tease. :) That being said, I have done a few 4 night cruises and feel that any length of time on a cruise ship is awesome. (although I prefer 7 nights) lol

If you decide to do a land and sea, go to the parks first and concentrate on EPCOT for the Food and Wine festivities appropriate for grown ups, then check out Hollywood Studios for the new Toy Story Land that will be open by the time you go. And you will want a day at Animal Kingdom to enjoy all of the latest and greatest of Pandora World of Avatar there. You will want at least ONE day at Magic Kingdom...if you focus on adults only attractions like the Thunder Mountain RR, Space Mountain and Splash Mountain along with some other attractions geared more for the grown up kids in all of us like Seven Dwarves Mine Train and attractions like that, you could do that park in 1 day.

I would plan for 4 to 5 days in the park and then a 4 night cruise to decompress and relax after the WDW pace of activity.
You would need to have your first day at WDW resort be on Thursday for a 4 night stay before you would cruise on Monday to Friday.

If you have kids traveling with you, then you want to add days to your time at WDW and keep the 4 night cruise.
Or totally forget WDW and just take a 7 night cruise. :)

I personally would not do a 4/3. If a cruise is on both of your bucket lists, then I would not hesitate to book a 7 night cruise. I read here often about people booking a short cruise to “try out” cruising to see if they will like it. But I have never heard of anyone trying it out and not liking it!! Three and four night sailings pass by way too swiftly, I don’t think you will ever regret booking a 7nt cruise. Good luck with your decision and happy 50th!!

A cruise is a lot more relaxing than WDW. It’s really two very different experiences.
We did a 4 night and loved it (we subsequently booked a 7 night for next year). We became relaxed as soon as we stepped onto the ship. I love the ocean and feel rejuvenated when I am near the sea.
What do you envision for your 50th birthday? Make your decision based on that vision/feeling!
Happy Birthday!!

You have not met my sister. She absolutely hated cruising. She also hated a (separate) trip to WDW.

Yes! This board (by it’s very nature) is filled with people who love cruising so most answers tend to be “the longer the better” when asked which cruise to pick. If you ask on the parks board you will get more varied answers since some people would not want to give up time at the parks. As someone who likes both (but doesn’t love cruising as much as many people in this board) I had enough fun splitting between DCL and WDW to do it a second time. I have lots of friends who book the shirted Dream cruises and also some who prefer longer cruises. It just depends on what sounds like a fun vacation to you.

If you really want to try a cruise this trip, maybe do 4 days at WDW and a 3-night cruise? There is more to do at WDW than on the cruise, and 3 days at WDW just doesn't seem long enough for a first-time visitor. You can't even get all the parks in that way, unless you rush around park hopping, which isn't the way to introduce a first-timer to WDW imo.

This is the DCL cruise board, so most posters here prefer cruises to WDW, and also prefer long cruises to short ones. But we've done two 3-night cruises and really enjoyed them and found them worthwhile. Doing a 3-night cruise and spending the rest of the vacation at WDW seems like a good compromise, ensuring a new experience for you, and a taste of WDW for your husband.

Last edited:
we're doing a 5 night cruise and then 7 nights @ WDW this summer. we've never been on a cruise but we go to WDW just about every summer. i'm interested to see how it goes. i thought that 5 nights was a good length for the cruise since it is our first. it should give us enough time to enjoy the ship while not being too long. i'm actually a little bummed about only doing the 7 nights @ WDW. i prefer to go as long as possible each time that we go which usually ends up being about two weeks.

Our first DCL cruise was 4 days. DH was sure was going to either be sick or bored. We now love the longer 10+ day cruises but it was perfect for our first time to try out. We were very comfortable going into it that, if we didn't like it, we weren't stuck with it and we'd still have time for WDW.

I personally would not do a 4/3. If a cruise is on both of your bucket lists, then I would not hesitate to book a 7 night cruise. I read here often about people booking a short cruise to “try out” cruising to see if they will like it. But I have never heard of anyone trying it out and not liking it!! Three and four night sailings pass by way too swiftly, I don’t think you will ever regret booking a 7nt cruise. Good luck with your decision and happy 50th!!

Well, we just did our first cruise (4 night on the Dream) in early March, and while we liked it, we didn't love it. At this point, we are on the fence about trying another one - if we do, I think we need something with ports I am more interested in... DD didn't really enjoy the kids club (might have been different if she was younger or had a buddy) and we had as much ship time as we could probably handle.

But we have been to the parks a few times and love them still. But doing three park days and cramming as much as possible in - then doing the cruise - was exhausting. I'd probably pick one or the other instead of trying to do both. Had we not already been to WDW, I would have felt cheated about the lack of park time.

Have you done any all inclusive resorts before? I ask because a cruise has similarities to an all-inclusive, minus the unlimited drinks and plus a different destination every other day (or so). I’m simplifying things a bit for the sake of my suggestion, of course.

So, if you enjoy a week at a resort, I think you’d like a 7 day cruise. If you’re more of a weekend or long weekend type, then 3-4 days might be more your cup of tea.

Have you done any all inclusive resorts before? I ask because a cruise has similarities to an all-inclusive, minus the unlimited drinks and plus a different destination every other day (or so). I’m simplifying things a bit for the sake of my suggestion, of course.

So, if you enjoy a week at a resort, I think you’d like a 7 day cruise. If you’re more of a weekend or long weekend type, then 3-4 days might be more your cup of tea.

We've done both 3 & 4 day cruises, would certainly go for it.

I would do it. We have done three 4 night cruise and they are great. You are experienced at WDW so plan that part out to hit the things that are must see and do. I am not sure how the land sea package works but if you can do sea for the second part of you trip I would do that. So you do all the running around at parks and then relax on the cruise.

We simply can't do longer park visits so we pick just one or two each time and pretend the others don't exist for purposes of that instance.

I agree that doing the cruise after the parks is more relaxing than the reverse.

We did it the first time we cruised with our kids (3 days Universal, 4 day cruise) and had a good time but the cruise was just too short. We always do 7 days now, even if we have to skip the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter