First time cruiser just of the Magic. It was fantastic.

darnheather

DIS Veteran
I have never felt so spoiled in my life. My 15 year old was incredibly happy with the Vibe and my 10 year old loved both Club/Lab. We had an inside stateroom and felt it was perfect for the three of us once we unpacked. Our stateroom hostess kept the room impeccably clean and made a fun new towel animal each night. We saw a ton of movies and a stage show (the 15 year old did more night things but I'm an early to bed kind of person). Meet and greats were great and ran smoothly. Shutters was ok, but I had to remember to check the navigator for when and where they would be each night. Castaway Cay was gorgeous. Several times I was in the water nearly alone. Two of the port days we stayed on board and I was able to do laps in the adult pool for 20 minutes.

Only two minor negatives. The food was at times disappointing. Many things were under-seasoned and under-salted. I realize they are cooking for a lot of people but pasta needs salt. The "cheesecake" was shameful. However, my waiter never had an issue with bringing me something else and his friendliness and care with my kids made up for the food.

The other negative was running into a couple who obviously despised children, were horribly unhappy, and told me that if my daughter got in their way they would step on her. I wish I had gone for a crew member but it was in the middle of the pirate night and I was tired and didn't want to take my daughter from the party.

Right now the same cruise for the same time next year is $2000 more expensive so that is a no go. All three of us really want to cruise again but it might not be until we do a transatlantic for the oldest's graduation.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll answer if I can.

How AWFUL! I don't blame you for not making a thing of it at the time but that is really disappointing. Why do a Disney cruise if you don't like kids! I can honestly say I don't have kids or want them but that doesn't mean I would be rude to someone elses and actually think part of the enjoyment is watching other people have fun including kids and adults. Some people should not cruise Disney!

glad you had a great time overall! I want to do a transatlantic or Panama canal cruise one day!

What was your favorite show?

glad you had a great time overall! I want to do a transatlantic or Panama canal cruise one day!

What was your favorite show?

I only saw Tangled and it was fun. My older daughter also saw Disney Dreams and liked it but Tangled was her favorite as well.

In other news I now understand the craze around 3-D movies! I hadn't seen one in years and they have changed so much. I figured since I was already on sea sickness meds I could risk the 3-D and it was amazing. Good Dinosaur, Zootopia, and Star Wars did not disappoint!

I'm glad you had a great time! I can't believe that someone threatened to step on your daughter. On every trip we go on, I run into at least a few people who seem determined to be miserable no matter what. I don't understand why they don't just stay home and be miserable there. It's way cheaper than a cruise.

I'm booked on the Magic and it will be my son's first time using the kids club. Although he's much younger than your 10 year old, I wonder what your 10 year old's favorite aspects of the Lab/Club were and what could have been better (if anything).

I'm glad you had a great time! I can't believe that someone threatened to step on your daughter. On every trip we go on, I run into at least a few people who seem determined to be miserable no matter what. I don't understand why they don't just stay home and be miserable there. It's way cheaper than a cruise.

I'm booked on the Magic and it will be my son's first time using the kids club. Although he's much younger than your 10 year old, I wonder what your 10 year old's favorite aspects of the Lab/Club were and what could have been better (if anything).

In the lab her favorite was the crafts, cookie baking, and science experiments. In the club she liked the movies and hands on activities. She never had trouble getting away from the smaller kids and the only time I saw an unhappy kiddo it was because she wanted to be picked up and parents were in port. (I'm not dissing the parents at all, I considered it but decided the empty ship was more fun.)

The bands were really great as they can exactly pinpoint where your kid is. I also noticed microphones in all the spaces and video cameras in most. I felt incredibly comfortable leaving her there and she loved all the staff.

Was this the current itinerary with a stop in Key west Last Monday? If so, I was at the dock taking pictures as she was coming in. I was down there for business, but couldn't pass up a chance to see the ship!

Sounds like your kids had a blast though. Thanks for sharing!

Was this the current itinerary with a stop in Key west Last Monday? If so, I was at the dock taking pictures as she was coming in. I was down there for business, but couldn't pass up a chance to see the ship!

Sounds like your kids had a blast though. Thanks for sharing!

Yes! Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Castaway Cay. Key West looked beautiful but we were all too tired to leave the ship. I don't regret that decision at all. We sailed from 4-10 to 4-17.

I only saw Tangled and it was fun. My older daughter also saw Disney Dreams and liked it but Tangled was her favorite as well.

In other news I now understand the craze around 3-D movies! I hadn't seen one in years and they have changed so much. I figured since I was already on sea sickness meds I could risk the 3-D and it was amazing. Good Dinosaur, Zootopia, and Star Wars did not disappoint!
We loved tangled also. Our 3 yr old DD couldnt take her eyes off of it and being in the 2nd row made it even better for her.

Yes! Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Castaway Cay. Key West looked beautiful but we were all too tired to leave the ship. I don't regret that decision at all. We sailed from 4-10 to 4-17.
To be fair this was my first trip to key west. The island lives on the water sports activities. So snorkeling, sailing, etc, are all the rage and the key demographic. I was very unimpressed with the guide at the Hemmingway house, especially for $13 a person. I did not do the Mel Fisher museum, but a colleague did and had a great time. Other than finding the good places to eat off of Duval, its just shops and bars, which is meh for my lifestyle. I haven't off loaded photos from my Camera yet, but here is the obligatory cell phone of ship coming into port. IMG_4940.jpg .

Would you happen to have navigators for this cruise? Thanks!

We were on your cruise too :). I'm sorry you missed Dreams - it's my favourite DCL show of all time. But Tangled was amazing too! Glad I got to see it. It was a shame Twice Charmed didn't play either - I like that show too.

We were on the same cruise! And I totally agree with you about the food. I was underwhelmed. I LOVED our meals when we were on the Dream, and this time I was just disappointed. It wasn't enough to complain about, just comparing to my other sailings.

And my DD loved Tangled show too, but my favorite was Disney Dreams.

Our first cruise was on the Magic last year, it was amazing and it got us officially hooked!! The service is wonderful and we were truly spoiled.
This year we went on the Fantasy and it was equally as amazing if not more because we had Star Wars day at sea, plus the Fantasy has the rainforest room which was my go to spot every day!

I'm really sorry about that mean couple. I don't understand how they can be on a Disney ship and despise children. They probably won this cruise somewhere and were upset they didn't win the aldults-only trip to Hedonism. :rotfl:
I don't have kids but I can't understand anyone being so rude to kids.

I agree, the food in the MDRs can sometimes be hit or miss. I thought the food on the Fantasy was slightly better but not by much. I equate MDR food to wedding banquet food. We at at Palo and Remy though which were amazing!!
Hope you get to cruise with DCL again soon!

I loved the food. Our server was awesome at recommending dishes - by night 2 I think we all mostly ate what he recommended.

On the first night I tried to order whatever the lemon dessert was. I love lemon, and will always, always order it when I can. He looked at me and shook his head, and pointed to something else instead. I was like "really?" But he said the lemon was not good. I ordered the other dessert, but inside was all "I should have just ordered the lemon." After my first bite of the other dessert he put down the lemon one in front of me as well. I took one bite of that and was so glad that wasn't my only dessert. I have never tasted such a bland uninteresting lemon dessert in my life. I was sold on his recommendations from then on. :).

Hey, my fellow April 10th Magic cruisers! I'm still missing this wonderful cruise. It was our first time on Magic (previously done Dream 2x) and we will definitely cruise on her again. I still have a slight preference for the Dream ship (newer, more spaces to hang out, better food, etc) but will gladly do Magic again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter