• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First-Time Cruiser Help! How Does Nursery Work on Early Port Days?

wanderwishtravel

Earning My Ears
I’m booking our excursion (through Disney) for port days, but everything starts BEFORE the nursery shows as open. Actually, they all start before the “Ashore” time, too. For example…

Port Adventure - 8:15am
Guests Ashore - 8:30am
Nursery - 9:00am

How does this work? Will we not be able to do an excursion? We have an infant so the nursery is required.

I’m booking our excursion (through Disney) for port days, but everything starts BEFORE the nursery shows as open. Actually, they all start before the “Ashore” time, too. For example…

Port Adventure - 8:15am
Guests Ashore - 8:30am
Nursery - 9:00am

How does this work? Will we not be able to do an excursion? We have an infant so the nursery is required.
Part of the terms and conditions of using the nursery they tell you when you sign in your kid are that you will come pick up your child within 15 minutes if contacted through the DCL app, which will only work when you are on the ship connected to ship wifi or at castaway cay (used to be wave phones—same concept). We were summoned in this way many times on our cruise (kid was fussy and wouldn’t calm down; fell and got a bit hurt etc.). So while they don’t expressly prohibit you from going on excursions at ports other than CC, and some people do, that is not really something they encourage or build the nursery schedule around either. If you want to use the nursery to go on an excursion, you have to choose one that meets during the nursery hours (and if so make sure you leave a phone number that can receive calls while on shore and have a plan for how you’ll get back if you need to), or leave someone behind on the ship who can check in the kiddo and pick them up if messaged in the app.

Part of the terms and conditions of using the nursery they tell you when you sign in your kid are that you will come pick up your child within 15 minutes if contacted through the DCL app, which will only work when you are on the ship connected to ship wifi or at castaway cay (used to be wave phones—same concept). We were summoned in this way many times on our cruise (kid was fussy and wouldn’t calm down; fell and got a bit hurt etc.). So while they don’t expressly prohibit you from going on excursions at ports other than CC, and some people do, that is not really something they encourage or build the nursery schedule around either. If you want to use the nursery to go on an excursion, you have to choose one that meets during the nursery hours (and if so make sure you leave a phone number that can receive calls while on shore and have a plan for how you’ll get back if you need to), or leave someone behind on the ship who can check in the kiddo and pick them up if messaged in the app.
Thank you! This is very helpful. Everything I read before booking said the nursery could be used during excursions, and so, we were planning to do that. I guess instead dad and daughter will have a special day in Cozumel, while mom and baby hang on the ship.

Thank you! This is very helpful. Everything I read before booking said the nursery could be used during excursions, and so, we were planning to do that. I guess instead dad and daughter will have a special day in Cozumel, while mom and baby hang on the ship.
I should have added of course there’s always an option to book an excursion with the baby! DCL excursions often allow babies at no or a reduced charge.

Everything I read before booking said the nursery could be used during excursions, and so, we were planning to do that.
It is true that you can leave the little one in the nursery while doing a port excursion, but it must be a port excursion that fits within the nursery hours - and also length to fit the amount of time you can pre-book. You don't mention the itinerary/port but others may be able to offer suggestions if you let us know what type of excursions are of interest. There may be alternatives.

And just to explain the times you shared above -- the Port Adventure time is the time guests will meet at a designated location onboard. Attendance is taken, rules are reviewed, etc., and then the group will go as a group to debark. So yes it may be prior to the "guests ashore" time.

It is true that you can leave the little one in the nursery while doing a port excursion, but it must be a port excursion that fits within the nursery hours - and also length to fit the amount of time you can pre-book. You don't mention the itinerary/port but others may be able to offer suggestions if you let us know what type of excursions are of interest. There may be alternatives.

And just to explain the times you shared above -- the Port Adventure time is the time guests will meet at a designated location onboard. Attendance is taken, rules are reviewed, etc., and then the group will go as a group to debark. So yes it may be prior to the "guests ashore" time.
Thanks! All of this info is helpful. We’re going on Disney Magic. The port is Cozumel. We’ve decided to just have me and baby hang back on the ship. A dad/daughter day will be fun for them! And maybe I’ll have a ship to myself ;-)

Our experience has always been very different than this. We were always encouraged to leave our babies/toddlers for excursions, the staff went on and on about how it was so comfortable for the little ones to stay onboard and avoid the heat, and on longer cruises were pushed to drop our kids off more and take advantage of more excursions. They always note when we were off the ship and told us short of an injury they wont call (and over thirty excursions on four ships in the last 5 years never got a call).

Additionally we had some excursions where meeting times were before the nursery opened and when inquiring about this were told every time not to worry that hours were set on a standard schedule weeks in advance but then adjusted on the fly the day before based on shore excursions and the nursery was always open by the time we met for our excursion.

Not to contradict your experience, but sharing our experience which was very different.

Our experience has always been very different than this. We were always encouraged to leave our babies/toddlers for excursions, the staff went on and on about how it was so comfortable for the little ones to stay onboard and avoid the heat, and on longer cruises were pushed to drop our kids off more and take advantage of more excursions. They always note when we were off the ship and told us short of an injury they wont call (and over thirty excursions on four ships in the last 5 years never got a call).

Additionally we had some excursions where meeting times were before the nursery opened and when inquiring about this were told every time not to worry that hours were set on a standard schedule weeks in advance but then adjusted on the fly the day before based on shore excursions and the nursery was always open by the time we met for our excursion.

Not to contradict your experience, but sharing our experience which was very different.
This is more the experience I was expecting, but I don’t want to chance it and potentially be out the cost of the excursion if the nursery isn’t flexible. It’s not the end of the world to miss the excursion. I just wish the policies were posted clearly since booking ahead is available. I’m a BIG planner. Just “going with it” is not in my wheelhouse. Ha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter