• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time cruise, help!

DisneyMom234

Mouseketeer
Just delving into the cruising world, we love Disney so of course that is on the list. Wondering what itineraries and ship are best for younger kiddos? We have 2 boys ages 6 and 7 (8 in sept) as well as a baby who will be one the end of June.

We will have to fly out of utah, I've heard Ensenada was a really dumpy port, so leaning towards a carries cruise instead?
Any tips for first time cruisers with younger kiddos like us? Favorite places to go? Are the port activities through the ships worth the extra costs ETC?

Also how the heck do we choose a cabin?

Really any info/help is appreciated since we have never been and no one we know really has cruised other than a few single famiyou members.

Just delving into the cruising world, we love Disney so of course that is on the list. Wondering what itineraries and ship are best for younger kiddos? We have 2 boys ages 6 and 7 (8 in sept) as well as a baby who will be one the end of June.

We will have to fly out of utah, I've heard Ensenada was a really dumpy port, so leaning towards a carries cruise instead?
Any tips for first time cruisers with younger kiddos like us? Favorite places to go? Are the port activities through the ships worth the extra costs ETC?

Really any info/help is appreciated since we have never been and no one we know really has cruised other than a few single famiyou members.

Do you mean a Caribbean cruise? Sorry, but a lot of the Caribbean ports aren't any better than Ensenada.

As far as the port excursions being worth it, that's totally subjective. You can often find local vendors that are less expensive than booking the same excursion through the ship.

Staterooms near the center of the ship tend to sway less. Other than that, choosing a room depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Something to think about since you are a family of five is look at getting two connecting inside cabins instead of the cramped 5 person family verandah cabin. That way you have two bathrooms and much more space and often the price is comparable. Personally we love the Mexico itineraries - yes Ensenada isn't that great of a port but we just stay on the ship and really for your first cruise it's probably more about the ship anyway.

Something to think about since you are a family of five is look at getting two connecting inside cabins instead of the cramped 5 person family verandah cabin. That way you have two bathrooms and much more space and often the price is comparable.

^ This, exactly. We did this for our very first cruise, and it was probably the smartest thing we did for that trip.

We have found that getting rooms near the kids' clubs to be very helpful. Not right next to them where the foot traffic is heavy, though. On Dream-class, for example, we often get Deck 6 Aft near the staircase. That way, when we need to drop off or pick up our little guy at the club, it's a quick hop down one flight of stairs and we're there. Also, the Aft elevators on Dream-class conveniently go directly up to Cabanas, which helps when you are "herding cats" to breakfast.

Is it best to find a agency that will help? Or will it as when eyes e nesting? I have yet to see that as an option

Read a few trip reports on the boards here. It is a great way to gather information and see what you may like. Look for a traveling party similar to yours and read about their experiences.

For my first cruise in 2011, I read the Passporter's Disney Cruise Line book. It's well written, an easy read, and has all the basics + tips to give you a great understanding of how to plan a DCL trip. It's updated very often. I don't think I'm allowed to directly link to the book here, so search for it. You could buy from any bookstore or go direct.

Last edited:
We are also from Salt Lake City. We've cruised DCL once out of Miami & our upcoming cruise is out of Port Canaveral. One resource, besides this one, I found super helpful before my first DCL cruise was a blog called PicturetheMagic. She's got great resources.

I second getting two cabins instead of one for a family of five. That's what we always do and it works out nicely. If you book well enough in advance, you should be able to get connecting rooms. We have done a short Caribbean cruise when our kids were little (18 months, 4 and 5) and then the longer Med (11 nights) when they were 3, 6 and 7. Both were wonderful for different reasons. I will say with the baby, in case you are not aware, she cannot swim in the pools (no swim diapers allowed in pools in cruise ships) and she will not be able to go to the clubs unless it's during open house. She will be able to go play in the nursery for a fee. I usually tell parents to wait until kids are 3 to sail just to get the most out of the ships. However, since you have the two older kids, make it about them because they will LOVE it.

We always do our own thing in ports, but I know this isn't for everyone.

Read the trip reports! I get so much information from them and it gives me new ideas of what to see and do and they get me excited for my own cruise! Also, keep asking questions as they come up.

Happy Planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter