First time booking - so confused by tickets with hotel

ameetee

Earning My Ears
I feel like I am a Disney booking pro, but am stumped by Universal. Is the "3-Park Unlimited Ticket Dated" that is forced on you with the "Create Your Own Vacation Package" for 1 Day or 14 Days or the length of your trip? "View Details" doesn't really give much info. It is $507 for March 26, which would be my first day (if I manage to book this trip). Seems like a lot for one day. And what does "Unlimited" on that mean? Is it the Express Unlimited? If I try to delete "3-Park Unlimited Ticket Dated" to go for cheaper tickets (I hate water parks so don't need 3-park) it tells me I don't qualify for the $125 off discount, but won't let me delete the discount.

I'm not sure how much help this is, but when I click through, this page shows that it's a 3-day, 3-park ticket that comes with 2 days free.

And when I go to add Express, it's clearly listed as 2-Park Universal Express Unlimited.

I'd also recommend pricing everything out a la carte, particularly if you aren't interested in the 3-park deal.

For some reason I agree USO site is very confusing.
Perhaps because we are so familiar with Disney.
Can you clear all cookies to start over ?
UniversalOrlando.com
Compare All Hotels
Check availability
Add a ticket …for example 2 park 3 day Park to Park
With this info you have a general idea of price for your specific planning .Be sure to verify Cancel Policy …
Then call directly to ask if they can help because you are confused .,
keeping your info on your page refreshed in case the price has gone up .
Good luck

I think savvy traveler rate is their discount .

What resorts are you comparing ?

Last edited:
I ended up clicking the Chat button. She said because I chose a 6 night stay, it added on the 14 day ticket. Also, she said the inability to choose a different ticket type and remove (or keep) the $125 discount is a bug they are trying to fix.

I haven't booked yet, still trying to decide. And now the Epcot Flower and Garden menus are teasing me. But I've done that the past 2 years.

For some reason I agree USO site is very confusing.
Perhaps because we are so familiar with Disney.
Can you clear all cookies to start over ?
I suspect USO places my travel search info into a shopping cart and then it is difficult to keep on searching for discounts .
Notice I pretended to book and went from empty Cart to something in my cart.
UniversalOrlando.com
Compare All Hotels
Check availability
Add a ticket …for example 2 park 3 day Park to Park
With this info you have a general idea of price for your specific planning .Be sure to verify Cancel Policy …
Then call directly to ask if they can help because you are confused .,
keeping your info on your page refreshed in case the price has gone up .
Good luck

View attachment 742047

View attachment 742049

I think savvy traveler rate is their discount .

What resorts are you comparing ?

I'm trying to decide between going all out and staying at the deluxe Loews Royal Pacific to be within walking distance and getting the free Express Unlimited pass, or Surfside cause it is near the Trolley stop that goes to all kinds of other places, since I will be there 5.5 days. I can easily spend 6 days in Disney, but I don't know if there is that much to do at Universal. I mainly want to experience the Harry Potter stuff. I'd like to go to Sea World on Thursday or Friday cause they have a food festival that seems similar to those at Epcot, and I like animals and will miss going to AK. But I could just Uber from RP. I've just never used Uber before. I am a rather inexperienced solo traveler that has been going to Disney because it is easy and I know what I am doing (until they change all the rules again and put up new construction walls).

I'm trying to decide between going all out and staying at the deluxe Loews Royal Pacific to be within walking distance and getting the free Express Unlimited pass, or Surfside cause it is near the Trolley stop that goes to all kinds of other places, since I will be there 5.5 days. I can easily spend 6 days in Disney, but I don't know if there is that much to do at Universal. I mainly want to experience the Harry Potter stuff. I'd like to go to Sea World on Thursday or Friday cause they have a food festival that seems similar to those at Epcot, and I like animals and will miss going to AK. But I could just Uber from RP. I've just never used Uber before. I am a rather inexperienced solo traveler that has been going to Disney because it is easy and I know what I am doing (until they change all the rules again and put up new construction walls).
Hmmm, for a solo, it might be cheaper to stay at the lower priced hotels and add Express a la carte.

You may also consider a split stay where you do a night or two at a Premiere to get the Express - you get Express for your check-in date through your check-out date, so you could plan 3 park days at Universal and stay at the Premiere the first two nights. Then move to Surfside for the rest of the trip. You'd get express for that third day, then the days you aren't going to Uni, you wouldn't have, or need, Express.

I've never transferred hotels without a car, but many on here do and can provide advise.

Uber is pretty easy to use and would give you a lot of flexibility.

The discount requires a 3 park ticket. There’s also a promotion for buy a 3 day ticket and get 2 extra days free. As long as you do the 3 park ticket, you can get the b3g2 ticket

For solo I usually go with Aventura - but I have considered Surfside just because its outside Universal with access to more stuff that is not Universal - been wanted to try Vault 5421 but its such a hassle to leave the Universal bubble.

You may want to price the least expensive AP if it works for your dates and see what the AP prices on hotels are.
Its almost always cheaper than a package price

I really like express pass and sometimes its worth doing for one night in your trip which gets two days of express.
It does mean changing hotels - which can be annoying but unlimited express pass for two days when you get a room at Hard Rock or RPR for under 400 is worthwhile.

BTW I have done 10+ nights at Universal and it does not get old - yet.
Two days at Disney every couple years is enough for me.
Mears to Disney is also an option worth looking into even to do one or two days at Disney and then come back to the less expensive Universal Hotels - that are far nicer than the Disney Equivalents and you have access to Citiwalk. Ive done this a few times.
I've not done Uber to Disney but it's also an option I always consider - even just to go to Trader Sams - but I never seem to find the time and for a solo travler its a bit pricey.

IMO the Sea World food festivals are far better than Disney - I did Disney food and wine festival for many years and its a shadow of what it once was. Also you can get a shuttle from Universal to Sea World for free. I usually get Uber back as the Shuttle goes back to Universal a bit early.

No matter which onsite hotel you choose to stay at you can always use Universals transportation to get to the Endless Summer resorts and use the trolley. Just head to City Walk and catch the Endless Summer bus. So don’t feel like you have to stay at Endless Summer if one of the moderates/values catches your eye.

We usually stay at Universal 7-9 nights and visit other Orlando attractions too. It isn’t worth the extra cost of the deluxe resorts for the express pass because we aren’t in the parks every day. Especially for one person it may be cheaper to just purchase the express on one day if its really needed (some rides have single rider lines that can help the wait times).

I ended up booking Royal Pacific.

But I wanted to share about the continued bad experience just to rant on how bad Universal's system is, since this thread was started because of my frustrations trying to book. And they already admitted to one bug in the system. In my booking process I added on the SuperStar shuttle to/from the airport. Today I was thinking about it and I didn't remember seeing anything on how to give my flight info. I booked the flight separately on American Airlines website like I usually do when going to Orlando. So I went through my emails, and found at the bottom of a long email, a section about SuperStar. And it said if you haven't provided your flight info, click here. It goes to a website where you enter your last name and the reservation number. But then it says it can't find my reservation. I've tried both my reservation number, and confirmation number, which are different, just in case they worded it incorrectly. There is a phone number you can call during standard Eastern time zone business hours (which I work) to give the info instead. I'll keep trying the website for a few days because I don't want to end up on hold during my work hours. I'm hoping their databases just haven't synced yet, but will at some point. There is also a link in the same section which is supposed to go to a map of Orlando airport showing their location. And that link doesn't work.
I've been spoiled by Disney's website. Never really had an issue except when everyone is trying to book a deal that just came out, and that is understandable. And hey fixed that with a virtual waiting list during those times.

You don’t have to book the unlimited ticket. The unlimited ticket is basically a 14 day ticket. You can remove the unlimited and choose a lower number of days, but to get the $125 discount, the promotion requires a 3 park ticket. I got the buy 3 get 2 days ticket and the $125 discount.

I do agree that not being able to give flight info at time of booking, but other than that, i found it to be the same experience as magical express.

I will add this advice… calling Universal to ask for assistance provides excellent service usually .
What was your cancel policy? I would not rely on Star Shuttle .Hopefully you can cancel . Mears Transport might be better because they are established Shuttle Service with more options.
Also verify the details for early entry hours for resort guests to plan your day. I would study their online maps too. It can be confusing entry and going left or right ! Also lots of construction walls for Minions area as you enter USO .
I think your trip occurs during Mardi Gras in March . They have a great Mardi Gras Parade and some concert weekends to enjoy.
Remember , it takes a while to truly enjoy Universal Studios.
Take your time to experience it day & night .
I will keep checking to add suggestions It‘s not like Disney where everybody is familiar with themes and characters.
You might think you don’t like Men in Black for instance but the ride can still be fun ! I don’t know anything about Harry Potter ….! Haha
I will say my basic survival is using Starbucks for quik service .They have one at CityWalk and locations inside each theme park .I recently discovered Iced Peach Green Tea lemonade for a refreshing drink in the heat of the day! It’s a lifesaver.
I also love TODAY Cafe for breakfast and lunch and dinner.
Also CowSushi (?) in CityWalk for great sushi and hamburgers but sitting upper level outdoors deck for great view to enjoy.
Speaking of great views, you can take the time to enjoy visiting the theming at their resorts! It will make you want to return for Holidays!
But after 5:00 p.m.the Aventura Resort has elevator in lobby to take you to rooftop view of entire area You can even see Epcot fireworks! There is a dining / bar area but not required to go up there! They have great dining areas at each resort also! And take the boat transportation from the resorts to experience .Love their water transport options!

Last edited:
If you are referring to mears connect, they don’t go to universal hotels. My experience with the superstar shuttle was identical to the magical express and mears connect, other than cost and adding flight info. You walk up to the desk, show/scan something, and they tell you which bus to get on. The superstar shuttle bus was identical to the bus mears uses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter