First Time at Universal and IOA

LuvTheMouse

Earning My Ears
Looks like I will be spending most of my WDW vacation next month at Universal Studios and IOA. If any of you old timers can give an old man some advice, I'd truly appreciate it.

What attractions MUST absolutely not be missed at Universal?

Islands of Adventure?

My wife and I ride R&RRC and California Screaming multiple times back-to-back without any problem. Are there any killer coasters at US or IOA that might be over our heads?

What'st the best tip for food and ride strategies?

Thanks for any help.

If you like coaster don't miss Dueling Dragons or the Hulk. If you get to IOA when it opens and go to the right and through Seuss Landing, you will come to the Lost Continent which houses Dueling Dragons. It's usually pretty empty when the park first opens because everyone goes to the left into Marvel Super Hero Island for the Hulk and Spiderman. First thing in the morning you can get on the first row of Dueling Dragons easily. The first row is a MUST to get the full effect of this coaster. If they're both running ride both Fire and Ice. You probably could do it several times in a row. The Hulk is great. Spriderman is a wonderful attraction. The special effects are amazing (when they're working). Jurassic Park River Adventure is also great. We didn't do Ripsaw Falls or Bluto's Barge ride(didn't want to get really wet), but I hear they're great fun.
Both parks are loaded with fun things to do. Go to the Universal website site to check it all out.

Best ride.. Spiderman
Best coaster.... thats tough... my Ds would say hulk I think, I like ice the best, but I love suspended coasters.

Best food. Mythos . By far the best meal I have ever had.

My advice for IOA would be to wear clothing that dries quickly...I have been to IOA on spur of the moment days when I was wearing denim, and other days when I went dressed to be soaked. I was MUCH happier when I dressed to be soaked! Now, I'm not one to run around in a bathing suit in a theme park, but what I did (this is probably more for your wife than you) was wear bathing suit bottom (in the form of shorts) and then I wore a tankini top (it's a thin strapped, bathing suit top, that is much more conservative than a bikini top!) and then I wore a denim shirt OVER the top (cuz again, I'm not going to walk around that way!) When we went on Blutos (a completely soaking experience) or Dudley Do-Rights I simply removed the denim shirt...to keep it dry. I'm sure ponchos can be effective, tho on Blutos, I'm not sure how effective! Sandals or water sneakers would be better than shoes and socks too...nothing worse than wet, squishy sneakers!
Anyway, I've seen many unhappy people there that were dressed in very heavy, WET clothing...and the water rides are some of the best!!! Another thing is, in the cooler weather, I would think a pair of waterproof pants and a rain jacket would be great...I have a pair of black ones, that just look like wind pants, but they're waterproof...got them in the camping dept. I'll have to find them soon! I don't recommend the Gorton's Fisherman look...but if it keeps you dry, why not!?

The coasters at IOA are AWESOME, and you definitely need the front of the Dragons for the effect...sitting in the back of those will get you whipped around pretty good, so I would stick with the front. Hulk is my favorite...it looks worse than Dragons, but I don't think it is, at least it isn't for me!

Do NOT miss Spiderman!

Have Fun!
Karen

msdisney... Your post reminds me ofwhat I did this yr. I pruchased mesn swimming trunks to wear as shorts when we go to parks with wet rides. I have looked at all the womens swim wear aroudn here and didn't like any of hte shorts. I prefer having the liner like the mens have. Non of the womens I could find have a liner. They were all lycra type material made to fit very tight. I never could find a tankinni in my size with a good built in bra. The small sizes had them but the larger ones just have a shelf bra. What where they thinking?
Anyway..I agree IOA's wet rides will get you WET. be prepared.

due to the cut backs you will find that dragons is not open until 9:30 or 10:00 am so keep that in mind. you might just as well push and shove for position on Hulk or Spidey.
The ladies have hit the hi points of IOA, noe for Studios:
MIB
Jaws
Terminator 2 3D
Twister

definately head back to IOA for a meal at Mythos
:smooth:

The absolute best dining experience at USF is Emeril's. But make sure you get the reservation early. My wife and I reserved during second week in June for first weekend in August and could only get a 9:30 PM seating on the Sunday. But, boy, was it worth it!!

Thanks for all the great advice! (My DW also appreciates the info on the bathing suits.) I am really looking forward to US and IOA.

Only 12 more days!

my high point for US had to be ET. OK so it is a little corny but I love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter