First Time at DL.......It Really Is Magical

NostalgicDad

"iHopeWeNeverLoseSomeOfTheThingsOfThePast"-WD
I've been reading this forum for several months leading up to our first ever visit to DL a couple of weeks ago. I found lots of information that really helped us prepare for the trip. So, I figured I'd give a very brief summary of our DL experience. For me to fully describe the experience, it would take a few pages in a book!

We spent 8 days in southern California and our last 3 were at DL, 6/25-27. The crowds were horrendous on the 26th and 27th but we expected that going in with the re-dedication of POTC. Even so, we were impressed with the way they are able to keep people moving at this park. The FastPass worked great and we never stood in a line longer than 30 minutes with the exception of POTC. We did EE on the 27th so we waited in the POTC line back on Main Street, but when the ride opened at 8am, we moved very quickly and basically never stopped moving until we were on the ride. We got in line at 7:30am and were on the ride by 8:30am. Me, my DW, DS12, DD8, and DS5 all had the best time of our life. We stayed at the park from open to close each day with no breaks. Our thinking was that we're at DL and as long as we can maintain our sanity, we'll worry about rest and sleep when we get home. So, we made the most of it pacing ourselves throughout each day. There were the typical, but only occasional tense moments you might expect with 3 kids but overall we enjoyed every moment! We still didn't get to see and do everything we wanted but we did get to accomplish all the major shows, rides and a character meal at Ariel's Grotto. The PS at Blue Bayou was really nice as well and the pancakes at the Riverbelle Terrace were the best! I think overall my favorite ride was the TOT of DCA. At DL my favorite was Indiana Jones but Haunted Mansion and POTC were right up there. Fantasmic was super but I must say the thing that really got me was the fireworks show. Aside from it being an awesome show, the way they end it with the extremely large display that just hangs over the castle with Tinkerbell in the sky and the Wish Upon A Star song playing, it actually moved me and DW to tears. I'm not sure if it's because it made me remember being a kid and watching the Disney movie on the weekend with that same scenario or if it was just the emotion of having my own family being able to see this and getting caught up in the moment. Whatever it was, there was magic involved.

We were all relieved when we got to sleep in the next morning at the hotel before heading to the airport. But, we all missed the park and wanted to go back for more. It'll have to wait for another day which I hope is sooner than later. DL is certainly one magical place indeed.

Thanks so much for the report!! I am going in August , I was there about 15 years ago so I feel this is my first time. My head is spinning in trying to make plans and reservations for dining. If you have any advice I would love to hear it, I also have 3 kids, 5,7 and 9. We have the same touring ideas, sleep is for when you get home.

I'm the world's most neurotic when it comes to planning and organizing. I must say that planning is essential but be prepared to simply go with the flow when you're actually there. One thing I wanted to make sure of was that I didn't get bent out of shape when something was done outside of my so-called "itenerary". It's all about the kids and it boils down to doing what makes them happy.

Since our DS5 would be happy with any character meal and our DS12 would be unhappy with any character meal :rolleyes1 , we thought our DD8 would enjoy it the most so we decided on Ariel's Grotto for a 1pm lunch with the princesses. I think it was well worth it as we had Ariel, Aurora, Snow White, Belle, and Jasmine come by the table. Our other PS was at Blue Bayou for a 5pm dinner on a different day. This was a totally unique experience and highly recommended.

Since you're going in August I would make the reservations now. I'm sure I'm leaving out some suggestion so feel free to ask away. Enjoy your trip!

I'm impressed that your DS5 was able to make it from open to close without a nap or otherwise break! We're not going again till summer 2007, so it's great to read about others' trips. :goodvibes

Not a slam against our Florida parks (which are wonderful in their own way), but DL is truly the most magical of all the Disney parks. It is the original and the "magic" is really everywhere. All the amazing details and the flowers just blooming everywhere. I have a November trip planned for WDW and I almost wish I would have waited til after my June DL trip before booking it. I think I would rather go back to Disneyland!

I plan on heading back down to DL for a few days next summer! Whoohoo!!

CindyH said:
I'm impressed that your DS5 was able to make it from open to close without a nap or otherwise break! We're not going again till summer 2007, so it's great to read about others' trips. :goodvibes

Well, he did crash on us briefly the last evening while having dinner at Zocalo. He was so tired, he just fell asleep in his chair, putting his head on the table. It was way too cute.

(I tried to post a photo but it appears I need a minimum number of posts before I can. I'm not sure what that number is, though.)

Okay, let's try the picture thing again......

120205sleeping.JPG

He does look pretty worn out, LOL.

When we were there in April, we staked out a bench and waited for the fireworks. DS4 was so tired that he fell asleep in my arms - something he hasn't done since he was 2. (He woke up once the fireworks started.) :welcome: :tink:

That picture is so cute! That's the best kind of tired, isn't it?

MamaKate once posted a series of character photos from when her daughter fell asleep at a character meal. All the characters insisted on having their photo taken with the sleeping child (daughter undisturbed and slumped over the table like your boy, and the character posing behind) - they are hilarious!

Your trip sounds great! :thumbsup2 I'm trying to plan a 4 night/3 day trip right now! :sunny: :smooth: Which hotel were you in ?

Awww I always love to read reports of someone going for their first trip! I'm glad it was a magical vacation for you guys!

My son is 8 and will still fall asleep waiting for a night show. This year he passed out waiting for the second showing of Fantasmic. All over my DH. LOL I wish I would have too, he had more energy then I did watching the show and making our way back to the hotel! LOL

We are missing the parks too right now. My son has been asking me every day since we've been back "Why does it always end so fast?" It's a good question, I just told him time flies when your having fun!

churchlady said:
Your trip sounds great! :thumbsup2 I'm trying to plan a 4 night/3 day trip right now! :sunny: :smooth: Which hotel were you in ?

Our DL trip was actually part of a southern California vacation so we didn't stay on the resort. We stayed right at 2 miles away at the Homewood Suites by Hilton. We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. It would be a bit too far to walk with children but the shuttle ran frequently. Our room was on the 5th floor facing DL and we had a great view of the fireworks on the nights we weren't actually in the park.

JenDisneylandlver said:
Awww I always love to read reports of someone going for their first trip! I'm glad it was a magical vacation for you guys!

My son is 8 and will still fall asleep waiting for a night show. This year he passed out waiting for the second showing of Fantasmic. All over my DH. LOL I wish I would have too, he had more energy then I did watching the show and making our way back to the hotel! LOL

We are missing the parks too right now. My son has been asking me every day since we've been back "Why does it always end so fast?" It's a good question, I just told him time flies when your having fun!

I actually forgot that all 3 of our kids fell asleep while waiting for Fantasmic. We were sitting on the ground right across from the center stage (I can't recall the name of this sitting area) and this lady in front of us pointed it out to us. We hadn't been sitting more than 5 minutes and before me and my wife knew it, they all 3 had passed out. It had been a long, busy day up to that point. Another one of those truely beautiful moments. Fortunately, they were awake for the whole show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter