• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time at Disney Hilton Head!

jesrs17

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

We will be heading to Disney HH in a week and I have so many questions lol!

1. We are going to do Instacart grocery delivery which comes from Harris Teeter on the island - good idea?

2. Do we need to bring our own towels, beach chairs etc. - I am not sure what is available at the beach or at the hotel for our use.

3. We will have a rental car but would love to know what people thought of the shuttle service to the beach.

4. Any fun activities to do - we have 9 and 11 year old boys.

Thanks!

If you don't mind, there's a very large Kroger about a mile from the resort, where you could shop yourself. When we go to Disney HH, our trip to Kroger is "all part of the experience", partly because there isn't such a large and diverse grocery store anywhere near where we live. We don't go in summer, nor do we swim, so I don't know about towels and beach chairs. From what I hear, you'd probably rather take the shuttle than drive-I hear parking in summer is a pain! There are lots of resort activities-look for the activities sheet. Also, there's a billiards table in Big Murgie's Den. And don't miss seeing the turtle nests, which someone just there told me are near the fire-pit by the Recreation Area. Have fun!

Thank you for the awesome advice! Great to know because I’d rather shop in person lol.
And thanks for the tip on the shuttle, sounds much easier than parking.

There should be beach towels in your unit. I second the suggestion to go to Kroger in Shelter Cove for your groceries. There are beach/pool chairs at the pools (at the resort and the beach house), but at the actual beach, you can rent chairs and an umbrella from the guys on the beach. I would definitely suggest taking the shuttle to the beach because there's not much parking available at the beach house in the summer. Enjoy!!

We're regular visitors with family of all ages. We do our own shopping. As mentioned the Kroger is great. They have everything, including beach and pool toys and chairs.

We do bring our own beach towels, none are provided. However both pools do have towels and bins to drop them off when finished. They are definitely smaller than beach towels. But nice to have.

The activity sheet is provided on check in. There is a facebook page that posts them weekly on saturday. Great to have that info early on. Last time we planned around the Chip and Dale visit. There are also a couple of nice mini golf places near the resort.

We drive to the beach since we bring too much junk. But have taken the shuttle and is a great service. Once we drove and the lot was full. had to drop off family go back and park to take the shuttle. Not a huge lot and summer fills up.
If we are driving, we usually go early and then back to the pool. You can also go later in the day and not have a problem. But mid day is busy.

Enjoy your visit! You will have a great time!

Just going to repeat what everyone else has said - go to Kroger. Harris Teeter is crazy expensive on it's own and then to add the Instacart fees, you'd be much better off just going to Kroger. You don't even have to get out on the main road. Just cut left into the Shelter Cove shopping area. There is also an awesome liquor store down at the far end of the plaza if that's your thing :) and several good restaurants. We love Poseidon and Jane's Bistro. Guiseppi's has pretty decent pizza and they deliver.

We've never taken the beach shuttle as we usually go in the off season when the beach house is rarely crowded, but it runs regularly and makes sense in the Summer. Plus - no sand in your car!

Enjoy! HHI is amazing.

Last edited:
I think your 9 and 11 year old boys would like the Coastal Discovery Museum. It’s only about 15 minutes from the resort. They have many family friendly programs every day starting as low as $5 per person. When we went a few years ago we did the Reptiles of Lowcountry, and got to learn and see the reptiles that live around Hilton Head. The highlight at the end, the kids got to hold a baby alligator.
https://www.coastaldiscovery.org/program-schedule/

Hello all!

We will be heading to Disney HH in a week and I have so many questions lol!

1. We are going to do Instacart grocery delivery which comes from Harris Teeter on the island - good idea?

2. Do we need to bring our own towels, beach chairs etc. - I am not sure what is available at the beach or at the hotel for our use.

3. We will have a rental car but would love to know what people thought of the shuttle service to the beach.

4. Any fun activities to do - we have 9 and 11 year old boys.

Thanks!
Enjoy your trip!
I would recommend checking out the disney hilton head owners and lovers thread. You can see alot of information and read through the thread if looking for alot of ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter