First tattoo, age of DS, DD?

My son is in the navy and he has more tattoos now than when he enlisted (got one in every port... lol) but he had one down his arm that would show out of his shirt and the army wouldnt take him because of it.... which is how he ended up in the navy. Its been about 5 yrs now, i think i heard the army relaxed their policy a bit and he probably would have been allowed to join.

the army hasn’t relaxed their policy. No visible tattoos while in uniform, regulations even state they can’t show if your collars or cuffs shift. DS finished his training this year and got his first tattoo within a month. He has to make sure any tattoos are a minimum of two inches from his wrists so that they don’t show when he’s in uniform because that’s how far up his arm his uniform shirt can go when buttoned. They also can’t add any body modifications of any kind while in training as its grounds for discharge. Edit: they did relax their hair policies. Regulations for those changes are still being finalized.

Yes, you're right; at times parlors located near state lines must get significant business because of different regulations, right?

Seems in retrospect that you at that time must have been quite the 'target' customer that your parlor in NH would have been looking for, don't you think?
Well maybe not me exactly, given that I wasn’t of age and had to sort of talk the guy into believing I was 18 because I didn’t have identification to prove my age. That would never happen now. They’re very strict on needing identification now. This was 25 years.l ago. To your point, there used to be a ton of tattoo shops just over the border so I’m sure they wanted the business from the neighboring state. It is legal in Mass now and has been since maybe 2001. I have 6 tattoos in total. They’re a bit faded now and definitely not as intricate and beautiful as tattoos these days seem to be. I’d actually love to get some of them touched up and redone a bit. So I don’t really have regrets, but I would like to modernize them.
I will add they can all be hidden by clothing if necessary or if I wanted to hide them. I do have a nose ring and I wear it every day to work - I’ve worn it to every professional interview I’ve ever had. I’ve had it for 25 years. I’m well established enough in my career that if a place has a problem with my nose ring then I would not chose to work there. I have a masters degree, 19 years clinical experience, and independent licensure in my field. I don’t really think my nose ring or tattoos are a problem for jobs. To be honest, I’ve never had an employer even mention them in a negative way.

Last edited:
My eldest DD got her first tattoo at 18 and she didn't even discuss it with us (it's Tinkerbell on her foot) my youngest DD got hers at age 27 (a Mickey head on her foot). Both girls want me to get a small - family - tattoo.... I"m thinking....
So do your DDs think that compared to them you are a bit of a 'later starter' with inking? (only from their point of view, of course...)

So do your DDs think that compared to them you are a bit of a 'later starter' with inking? (only from their point of view, of course...)
I'm a very late "inker" I'd like to do it just to check it off my bucket list!

the army hasn’t relaxed their policy. No visible tattoos while in uniform, regulations even state they can’t show if your collars or cuffs shift. DS finished his training this year and got his first tattoo within a month. He has to make sure any tattoos are a minimum of two inches from his wrists so that they don’t show when he’s in uniform because that’s how far up his arm his uniform shirt can go when buttoned. They also can’t add any body modifications of any kind while in training as its grounds for discharge. Edit: they did relax their hair policies. Regulations for those changes are still being finalized.

Ah, so maybe not then. One funny thing about a tattoo on his arm before they would let him enlist... he had a topless mermaid. They made him cover her chest with a bikini top... lol

Well maybe not me exactly, given that I wasn’t of age and had to sort of talk the guy into believing I was 18 because I didn’t have identification to prove my age. That would never happen now. They’re very strict on needing identification now. This was 25 years.l ago. To your point, there used to be a ton of tattoo shops just over the border so I’m sure they wanted the business from the neighboring state. It is legal in Mass now and has been since maybe 2001. I have 6 tattoos in total. They’re a bit faded now and definitely not as intricate and beautiful as tattoos these days seem to be. I’d actually love to get some of them touched up and redone a bit. So I don’t really have regrets, but I would like to modernize them.
I will add they can all be hidden by clothing if necessary or if I wanted to hide them. I do have a nose ring and I wear it every day to work - I’ve worn it to every professional interview I’ve ever had. I’ve had it for 25 years. I’m well established enough in my career that if a place has a problem with my nose ring then I would not chose to work there. I have a masters degree, 19 years clinical experience, and independent licensure in my field. I don’t really think my nose ring or tattoos are a problem for jobs. To be honest, I’ve never had an employer even mention them in a negative way.
Sounds like, once you started having it done for the first time, it became easier to go back for more inkings, right? and so now it's become natural still to want more ink to freshen the existing ones. (As a professional woman, of course.)

Sounds like, once you started having it done for the first time, it became easier to go back for more inkings, right? and so now it's become natural still to want more ink to freshen the existing ones. (As a professional woman, of course.)
Yes except I dont have time to go freshen them these days. Eventually maybe, but it’s low on the priority list right now.

Yes except I dont have time to go freshen them these days. Eventually maybe, but it’s low on the priority list right now.
Seems anyway like today, although years ago it was man thing (sailors, etc.), yet it's become thoroughly regarded now as something almost necessary to have done, at least, to get started with being inked up at least a little, don't you think? (I saw a quote about just how widely it's done now down south in the Bible Belt.)

I have two aunts that have many, many tattoos... i think they were the ones paving the way!
Seems like increasingly it's not unusual to have family members who already years ago become thoroughly confident with going back for many more, once they had the initial confidence to receive them.

DS finished his training this year and got his first tattoo within a month. He has to make sure any tattoos are a minimum of two inches from his wrists so that they don’t show when he’s in uniform because that’s how far up his arm his uniform shirt can go when buttoned.
Sounds like, while following the guidelines, for your DS having it done once his training was finished was quite a priority. The army must surely realize that it's something that so many of their recruits and members will desire and expect to do?

Last edited:
Are you writing a book or something?

pn54fWnEg

I got my first one at 18. Now I'm 27 and have 7. Most of mine are small, but I do have a large one on the front of my thigh. I've had it for years and my grandmother still gets amazed how many comments I get on it when we go out, some people even asking to take photos!
Are you now done inking at your stage of life, do you think? :)

For training... In practice, not so much. This is from someone whose husband served actively for four years while living in Fort Hood, and reserves for six. He, and many others, have tattoos that show in uniform. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Are you now done inking at your stage of life, do you think? :)
Not at all. I love all my tattoos and piercings, I actually just got my septum pierced last month. I don't have anything specifically planned, but I know I'll get plenty more.

First one I was 16 then another at 18 a couple more in my 20s they are all very "me" my husband got most of his in his early 20s.. ...
Seems like you got yours before he got his...so was he a bit surprised?

(Maybe not so surprising...)

So do you think they will relax their policy in the army, to make it a bit easier for all the possible recruits that are likely to be tattooed?

Not at all. I love all my tattoos and piercings, I actually just got my septum pierced last month. I don't have anything specifically planned, but I know I'll get plenty more.
So are the tattoo/piercing parlors in your area still under restrictions? seems like a lot of ppl are having to be patient...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter