First split stay / first DVC rental

MrsAlexis

Mouseketeer
Super excited but nervous on whether I did this right! Currently booked for 4 nights at AS Sports and 7 day tickets through Disney. Then secured DVC rental at AKL Jambo House studio for 5 nights. Linked my DVC rental to MDE account. Everything looks good. Am I good to go? Anything I should know? Any money saving opportunities? Stay is for mid May 2019.

Did a split stay renting points last year for the 1st time between Boardwalk and Boulder ridge. Couple of things we learned. We found it best to only get a dinning plan for one part of the stay. Utilizing Bell service to not only help move the luggage from one resort to another but to keep items cold between the move was very helpful. Although the reservation is not in your name we still sent in a room request and had luck both resorts.

Have fun!

We are doing two nights at POFQ followed by 7 nights at BWV on rented points. This is my first time renting points but not my first time doing a split stay.

Last split stay I let bell services move my bags. It was very convenient but we didn't get our bags until 4 pm. We are midday pool people so this forced us to be midday nappers since we didn't have our swim stuff with us and I wasn't going to take a bag into the parks. Our room at BC was ready at 2 pm. I hear with DVC the chances of your room being ready before 4 pm are slim so plan accordingly.

Since we are moving to our DVC resort and I don't expect our room to be ready before 4 pm my plan that day is to either do a park all day and have bell services transfer our bags OR take an uber with our bags to BWV, head to a park and do a midday pool break at BWV. I will decide once the date is closer.

AKV is a beautiful resort. The coffee pots are Mr. Coffee real pots and they provide one pack of coffee (the kind that comes in the round filter type pod). Make sure you bring filters and coffee or packs. Is you DVC a studio or a 1 or 2 bedroom. The studios only have sort of dorm fridges like the regular rooms and a toaster and microwave. The others have full kitchens. When I've stayed in studios they had no silverware or dishes and only one coffee cup. I don't know if that has changed. You will not get cleaning except every 3rd or 4th day. You can request clean towels if you want. This never bothers me as I turn down cleaning in a regular room since I pick up after myself any way.

I have done a split stay at All Star and AKL and a couple others. I suggest being park heavy at All Star to better enjoy AKL. It is much nicer. On one split stay we packed the night before. When we left in the morning we took the luggage to bell services. We then made rope drop. While this is certainly possible I would not do it again. I would just make it a resort day. On another split stay we had a car and making RD was easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter