• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Solo Trip - Not Sure What To Think

I have gone solo alot and eaten TS every trip. I love my solo trips more than trips with the family now that I have grumpy teenagers.

I've never done a character meal solo yet but have 2 planned on my April trip. Eating alone has never bothered me but you could look at your photos on your camera, look at park maps, put a reading app on your smart phone so you could read.

You could easily eat at Narcoossees and O'Hana solo if you want so go for it!

So for those of you who go solo - do you do table meals? Are you hesitant about dining alone? If so, how did you get over it?

My very first WDW trip was solo and lasted 2 weeks. The dining was no big deal because it was all counter-service. Then last year, I planned a huge 3 week trip for a friend and myself with dining ressies. Unfortunately, my friend passed away 60 days before the trip...and I went anyway alone. I did Character meals at Tusker House and Crystal Palace and was treated very well by the servers and characters. I also did solo dining at special event meals like Hoop-De-Doo and the Spirit of Aloha Luau, which are both served "family-style" and was again treated very well by everyone. All my solo dining experiences at resorts and theme parks were wonderful...with the exception of Brown Derby, where I was literally ignored by my server once he set the plate down for me.
I would say that the dining at resort restaurants and the theme parks restaurants have the potential for being the most awkward because of the lack of "entertainment" offered. Your on your own to create a stimulating memory. I had the most fun with Character meals and show meals.

This April will be my 3rd solo trip to Disney. I love going solo. There is no compromising on where to eat, which park to visit, which rides to ride. It's all about you...which is a nice change of pace. Though I was a little nervous about dining alone, it really wasn't a problem. It's a great time to catch up on facebook/instagram and brag to family back home about the awesome food you are eating. My first solo trip I made ADR at Rose & Crown. The atmosphere is lovely plus I sat near a window. I actually wound up chatting with a couple that was seated next to me. The Plaza Restaurant is another favorite of mine. Lots of windows and opportunities to people watch. I even splurged on dessert. The Plaza Sundae is AMAZING!

My 2nd solo trip was last September and I was able to do MNSSHP. Yes, I put on a silly tshirt, my Minnie ears and walked down Main Street trick or treat bag in hand. I have no shame when it comes to candy.

I have made reservations at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue for my April trip. No problems booking for 1. Pretty exciting about this one. It's something I've wanted to do for a while.

Another quick point about going solo is that you can maneuver through crowds a lot easier than when you are with a group. Some of the rides even have single rider lines.

I hope you have a wonderful solo trip.

Hi AprilInmay, nice to read your post.

I recently broke up with my fiancé (got dumped, actually), and Disney was always our spot. I am afraid of letting this ruin my favorite place on earth, and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea going alone.

The truth is I don't want to ask anyone to come with me! I think I deserve having an awesome trip, and probably should do this all by myself…time to heal!

Well, I'm also trying to get a let register to the EEC 2015...think it would be a great achievement to me!

Tks for sharing your experience! :)

Hi AprilInmay, nice to read your post.

I recently broke up with my fiancé (got dumped, actually), and Disney was always our spot. I am afraid of letting this ruin my favorite place on earth, and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea going alone.

The truth is I don't want to ask anyone to come with me! I think I deserve having an awesome trip, and probably should do this all by myself…time to heal!

Well, I'm also trying to get a let register to the EEC 2015...think it would be a great achievement to me!

Tks for sharing your experience! :)

I’m so glad you liked my post.

I say, YES, definitely go to Disney. Register for EEC. Make new memories and have a blast!

There’s nothing like spending time at the most magical place on earth.

Best of luck : )

My very first WDW trip was solo and lasted 2 weeks. The dining was no big deal because it was all counter-service. Then last year, I planned a huge 3 week trip for a friend and myself with dining ressies. Unfortunately, my friend passed away 60 days before the trip...and I went anyway alone. I did Character meals at Tusker House and Crystal Palace and was treated very well by the servers and characters. I also did solo dining at special event meals like Hoop-De-Doo and the Spirit of Aloha Luau, which are both served "family-style" and was again treated very well by everyone. All my solo dining experiences at resorts and theme parks were wonderful...with the exception of Brown Derby, where I was literally ignored by my server once he set the plate down for me.
I would say that the dining at resort restaurants and the theme parks restaurants have the potential for being the most awkward because of the lack of "entertainment" offered. Your on your own to create a stimulating memory. I had the most fun with Character meals and show meals.

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

I have yet to do an entire trip by myself, but I have had a couple of days where I just went to do my own thing. I really enjoy just taking my time. If you enjoy photography, you can just stop and take as many pictures as you'd like and no one to catch up to! Also for a few CS dining I've done, I either go up to people that seem to be lonely too, or People will come to you. I had an older couple come up to me and we just chatted until we finished our fish and chips!

Definitely feels very different to not be with other people. More fun, IMHO, for people who can be by themselves. If you want to practice dining and being by yourself, go out to eat and see how it feels and what you like to do. If you can't find and fellow diners or new friends, put in your earphones and jam out and people watch.

I have yet to do an entire trip by myself, but I have had a couple of days where I just went to do my own thing. I really enjoy just taking my time. If you enjoy photography, you can just stop and take as many pictures as you'd like and no one to catch up to! Also for a few CS dining I've done, I either go up to people that seem to be lonely too, or People will come to you. I had an older couple come up to me and we just chatted until we finished our fish and chips!

Definitely feels very different to not be with other people. More fun, IMHO, for people who can be by themselves. If you want to practice dining and being by yourself, go out to eat and see how it feels and what you like to do. If you can't find and fellow diners or new friends, put in your earphones and jam out and people watch.

I have ventured off on my own as well and I loved those times. Free to do what I want and not have to worry about anybody else. Hopefully, I can do it for 8 nights and not go crazy missing my family. LOL :)

If you decide to keep the 8-day trip as a solo adventure, I hope you have a fabulous time. Solo trips are special and unique...it's all about YOU!

Oh I am most definitely going to do it. :) I am excited about it actually. Nervous in some ways, but really looking forward to it. I have already decided to go for 5 different restaurants .... 1 breakfast and 4 dinners. I am quite friendly and chatty, so I dont think I will really feel too alone. Only at night. I might have to sleep listening to Stacey do the must-dos over and over. LOL

I also have done Disney solo and am going again, alone, in the fall. I haven't ever had a problem eating out alone, but I know it can be more difficult for some. Fine dining restaurants make it a lot more fun! Disney is a friendly place, so at the Flying Fish I sat at the bar and the bartenders talked to whole time! Also, you can people watch, which is my favorite. I just sit and take in the atmosphere and what everybody is up to, watching the open kitchen or the servers wow their tables. I even do character meals, which is so fun alone! The characters give extra special attention! Donald and I took a selfie!

The only time I was uncomfortable was at Biergarten. The food and atmosphere is great, but it is shared tables. This is fine if the people you sit with are friendly, but at my table it was obvious they thought I was VERY weird for being there alone. And they were not chatty people like I am. When they did talk it was, Where is your family? You're really alone? That sort of thing. I powered through and kept smiling and trying to chat. By the end we were good friends, but I would never do that again. Too painful! I don't mind being alone, but I do mind others minding me being alone. :rotfl2:

Let us know what you decide!!

GOING SOLO for the first time in late Oct. Thanks for your post.

I've loved reading this post!
I have a solo trip booked for September and eating alone is one of the things i'm most nervous about and was going to do just CS for this reason but think i'll make a couple of ADR's now :) Part of me is very excited for the trip as I'm looking forward to being able to do what I want, when I want but I'm also pretty nervous

I have a solo trip booked for September and eating alone is one of the things i'm most nervous about and was going to do just CS for this reason but think i'll make a couple of ADR's now :) Part of me is very excited for the trip as I'm looking forward to being able to do what I want, when I want but I'm also pretty nervous

I hear ya on that last part for sure!! My husband will probably be checking up on my a lot to make sure I am ok. LOL

I have decided I am still doing Narcoossee's and O'hana for break if I can get it. I also want to do California Grill and perhaps another nicer lunch or dinner. It may be awkward, but I am going to do it so I can get over this "eating by myself" thing. LOL

I hear ya on that last part for sure!! My husband will probably be checking up on my a lot to make sure I am ok. LOL

I have decided I am still doing Narcoossee's and O'hana for break if I can get it. I also want to do California Grill and perhaps another nicer lunch or dinner. It may be awkward, but I am going to do it so I can get over this "eating by myself" thing. LOL

haha snap on the husband part, I think i'll have to end up telling him to stop bothering me so i can actually enjoy Disney ;)
I've also decided I can't not do Ohana, I'm not flying 4000 miles and missing out on one of my faves, hopefully it will help me get over the eating by myself thing too, I think its what I'm going to find the hardest bit

Sarah - when are you going? I'm doing a solo trip 9/18-9/22.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter