First Solo Disney Trip, First Disneyland Visit, Spoiler Alert: Lots of Tears

DramaTurtle23

Earning My Ears
Me: Early 30s, properly realized I was Disney-obsessed last year and went to WDW after 19 years away. Now it’s fully a major element in my personality. Don’t love huge drops so I stay away from major roller coasters, so you might see that missing from this trip report. And food is not a major element of my trips, but it's there.

I decided to do a week in California for my first proper vacation in a LONG time, including 2 days at DCA/DL. I had two days to try and experience everything Disneyland had to offer! I didn’t quite succeed, but would it really be a Disney trip if you didn’t have an excuse to go back at the end?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Arrival Day

After settling in at the Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim, I decided to try my luck at Trader Sam’s. After navigating there, I was almost discouraged to leave because of the massive line. The couple in front of me got a 2-hour wait, but then I was ushered straight into the bar! I kind of wished I’d stayed outside because of the COVID spike, but I decided to just make the most of it. I ordered the two whiskey drinks (Zambezi Sour and Shipwreck on the Rocks) and the Pork Gyoza. I was really tempted to get the pu pu platter but my stomach was a little uncertain after a day of travel to another timezone, and I knew I wanted dessert! What a fun time! I didn’t realize how interactive it was! We had a “triple Shipwreck” when I was there, and I just loved the vibes when everyone in the bar came together for an experience. The bartenders were definitely a little frazzled with how busy it was, but still so nice and courteous when they had a breath.

I had never been to Salt & Straw, so I dragged my jet lagged butt down to wander down to Downtown Disney for some more food while I tried to stay awake. I had had almost nothing to eat all day while traveling (United doesn’t serve any snacks on any domestic flights, even coast-to-coast!). I really loved S&S! I got one specialty flavor (Beech’s Cheese with Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls) mixed with one regular (honey lavender). Sooooooo good! I crashed early because of the jet lag.

Day 1

Didn’t quite rope drop California Adventure because I underestimated the walk from the Holiday Inn, but scanned in at a cool 8:01am. Got a First Visit pin and maps, purchased Genie+, and I was off to the races!

I actually managed to do most of what I wanted in DCA without Genie+ and at a leisurely pace. I started with SoarinRound the World, and I’ve never been on it at Epcot so that was a fun time! Good to start off with, I think. Then, since I love water rapids rides, I got on Grizzly River Run at a 5 minute wait and got a tube all to myself! I also almost lost my ears on the drop and a ranger (or maybe a random dad, idk) yelled “Nice save!” Didn’t get too wet, but really enjoyed it - so much better than Kali River Rapids.

I decided to wander down to Pixar Pier, where I rode Singing Symphony Swings (more intense than I thought it would be but enjoyable), Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind (total snoozefest), and Goofy’s Sky School (since I don’t care for drops, it was a good reminder to me that I do, in fact, like mild roller coasters). After just soaking in the vibes of the pier a bit, I decided to book a LL for Toy Story Midway Mania, but it broke down while I was in line and I had to get a redemption LL. Not a big deal to me, because I wanted to meet Baymax.

Well friends, I waited for for 40 minutes in San Fransokyo Square, and Baymax went back in 3 PARTIES ahead of me. I was disappointed, but had a fun time meeting Hiro. I was hoping to make it back, but didn’t. Baymax only comes out for 30 min spurts, so you have to time it right, unfortunately. A lot of people around me were being pretty nasty about it, to be honest. Maybe I’ll make it on another trip…someday?

I went back to do my Midway Mania redemption lane (always a fun time), and then I got to meet Woody and Bo Peep! That was delightful. I’d been hoping to meet Buzz, and they cut off the line right in front of me to switch out the characters, but I didn’t mind too much. They also took awhile to get Woody and Bo Peep, so the cast member and I got to talking (it happens when you wear a First Visit button) and it helped pass the time. Afterwards, I got a churro from Senor Buzz’s stand and then went on Journey Under the Sea with The Little Mermaid (I just love it even though it’s the same as it is in WDW, and it was a short wait).

I decided to strategize the rest of my time at DCA. The park was closing at 6pm for Ooogie Boogie Bash, and I wanted to see Cars Land at night, so I decided to save that for Day #2. Instead I decided to check off the rest of my “to-do list” that wasn’t Avengers Campus, then hit Avengers Campus. I then recalibrated because I tried to get into Lamplight Lounge but they were so at capacity, I couldn’t even get into the bar as a single person. I did wait for 15 min but once that was done, I called it and decided to wait to eat until I got to Avengers Campus. I booked a LL for Monsters Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue, got a little lost on my way to the ride, and then had a great time! I really loved being in the room with all the doors - I love that movie so much!

At Avengers Campus, I saw a little bit of the Dora Milaje show, but it was truly too hot to stand in the sun at this point. I was pretty hungry, so I headed to Pym’s Test Kitchen and grabbed the Pym-nini, which was fine. I liked the addition of marinara sauce but thought it was overall pretty standard. What was great was that I had a perfect view of the Black Widow / Black Panther / Taskmaster fight show! So fun! Next I single-rider-ed Web Slingers. The single rider versus LL debate was one that came up a bit on my trip, and I think I’ve determined that LL is the way to go. I was waiting in the sun for what felt like forever but was probably only about 20 min max. The ride had been broken down earlier so there was a massive back-up. The ride itself though - I LOVED IT. I love Spider-Man, I love Tom Holland’s interpretation, I loved the addition of the other little scientists in the queue art, and I found it really fun. That was one I earmarked in my brain for a repeat as a LL (which didn’t end up happening).

Because it was the absolute heat of the day, I decided to get a cold beverage from Pym’s Testing Lab. I went with the Particle Fizz, because I wasn’t feeling anything stronger and I’m a sucker for anything with boba. I took it over to find a spot in the shade for Amazing Spider-Man, which was alright. I then went to the Sanctum for Dr. Strange: Mysteries of the Mystic Arts, where I sat DIRECTLY in the sun with my beverage but managed to make it through. I loved this show! We got Shang-Chi, and I adore him, though I’d been hoping for America Chavez. I really loved the Magic Band+ vibrations incorporated into the shows. This was my first time traveling with a Magic Band, and as cheesy as it is, it does make you feel like you’re in the action.

As I was leaving the Sanctum, I turned the corner and Black Widow was just…THERE to meet people? And only two parties in line? I jumped in and had a great convo with her about how it was my first visit and how we need more lady Avengers. We took a pic, and I was thrilled.

I popped into some shops for some AC while I plotted my next move. I decided being indoors was a good call right now, so I wandered over to Turtle Talk with Crush, which I really enjoyed. It was so fun! Just because it was right there, I decided to do PhilharMagic across the street right afterwards. Always a cute show!

Before leaving, I picked up the D100 ears from a cart, because I was so in love with them and wanted to remember I visited during the centennial. The cast member kindly cut off the tags for me to wear them for Day #2, since I didn't travel with scissors.

Then, it was time to park hop! But on my way out, a PhotoPass photographer helped me pose for my first PhotoPass spot near Grizzly Peak. I wish I’d grabbed his name for a Cast Compliment, because he was so great and showed me how easy the process is.

Then…Disneyland. I cried at the gates, I cried going down Main Street, I cried seeing the castle. There was a PhotoPass photographer out for the great lighting in front of the castle, with a fairly short line, and I got some really fun shots. Then….time to ride! My hope was to get 1-2 of my “big rides” today and then as many fillers as possible to make sure I maximized day #2.

I booked a LL for Matterhorn and had some time, so I jumped in line for Snow White’s Enchanted Wish (very fun to remember riding Scary Adventure in WDW as a small kid) and Pinocchio’s Daring Adventure (I have questions about this movie….). I also managed to do Casey Jr. Circus Train, which was cute!

Then it was time for LL on the Matterhorn Bobsleds! I get nervous going on new coasters and my friend had to text me reassurances that it was the same level as BTMR and that I would be fine. And it was fun!! I would totally ride again. Afterwards, it was about 6pm and I knew it was time to scope out a spot for the parade. I grabbed a frozen raspberry lemonade and a popcorn and found an INCREDIBLE spot near Small World. The only downside at all was having to hear “Small World” on a loop till the parade started.

The “Magic Happens” parade BROKE ME. I loved the inclusion of classic and newer characters, the song was incredible to see in action, and I cried like a child. I think the couple next to me thought I was unhinged. 10/10 would watch again.

Rejuvenated from that, it was time to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which I booked a LL for. However, I decided to stop off at Tomorrowland to do Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage first. I enjoyed this ride a lot, I thought it was really well done. However, it took us FOREVER to get out of the submarine. We were just stuck for like 10 minutes underwater before finally disembarking. Very glad I’m not claustrophobic!

I didn’t know where to look for dynamite goat on BTMR, so I unfortunately missed that, but had a BLAST. It felt faster and smoother than my memory of it in WDW? Maybe I’m making that up.

Then I knew I had to make a priority check about getting a good spot for fireworks in about an hour. I was disappointed to be getting the Halloween fireworks and not the Disney 100 show, so I wasn’t super invested, but I still did want to see them. I saw that there was a 15 min wait for Jungle Cruise and I BOOKED IT for a nighttime Jungle Cruise. Our skipper was good, not great, but I of course still had a good time. It’s hard to screw up Jungle Cruise.

Then I decided to grab dinner and scope out a spot for fireworks on Main Street. I got the Mac n Cheese Dog Basket with chips and a Coke I put in the Belle Sipper (which I decided I needed, it wasn’t a want). The food again was fine, better than your average theme park fare, so I wasn’t mad about it.

The Halloween fireworks were really good! So fun to see and hear tributes to villains old and new. As you might be able to tell by this post, I love the sentimentality of Disney, and there wasn’t much of that here. Afterwards, I knew I wanted to avoid the massive crowd coming out of the parks, so I decided to do a little bit of shopping. Of course the Disneyland shirt I ended up falling in love with was a spirit jersey and twice as expensive as the stuff I’d been ogling at Downtown Disney. 😂 Ah well! After grabbing it, I walked back to the Holiday Inn and went to bed.

Day #2

I did better on my second day and did my first honest-to-God rope drop at Disneyland!! It was extremely cool. My top 3 rides to ride were Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones, and Pirates, so I had to make a choice on strategy. I ended up booking a LL for HM (since it’s Halloween-time), and rope dropping Indy instead of Pirates, which I know is a bit backwards since you can LL Indy.

I LOVED INDIANA JONES. The theming? The queue that makes you feel like you’re going in a mountain? The effects??? It was incredible. I wanted to go back later but didn’t get a chance. Then I booked it to Pirates, which only had a 15 min wait. And WOW. Pirates is my fave ride at WDW but….yeah, it’s better in DL. It just is. I also was NOT prepared for drop #2, but I got through it. After that, it was time for Haunted Mansion with the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. I ADORED it. And I was genuinely very into Hatbox Ghost; I see the appeal.

I was so proud of myself for knocking out my big 3 rides in less than 90 min, that I decided it was time for a Mickey beignets and coffee break. This is also where I remembered there is NO classy way to eat a beignet. RIP to my black skort.

I had coffee to finish, so I decided to mosey on over to the castle and look at the Story of Sleeping Beauty inside. On my way though, right in front of the castle, the Disneyland Band stopped me in my tracks! How terrific! I caught the end of a D100 medley of Disney music through the years, and then they played a Lion King medley. I absolutely loved seeing them while I vibed with my coffee - it felt truly magical.

The walkthrough of the Sleeping Beauty story was so cool - it brought back so many memories of me watching the movie as a child. Then, after my coffee was done, I weighed my options and decided to knock out Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, because I of course had to ride it. It was….what?? It just ends after you go to hell? I think a Cast Member was laughing at my face when I rolled out at the end. I also managed to do Alice in Wonderland (fun little dark ride) and the Mad Tea Party (wow, those are hard to spin on the West Coast!).

Next I booked a LL for Autopia which was…not for me. I am a nervous driver, and this was not a fun ride for me. It induced a lot of anxiety, and I don’t intend to ever ride it again. And I hated the fumes. Because I was nearby and could grab LLs for them, I decided to add in Star Tours (always one of my favorites) and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (I didn't do that well this time around!)

This, my friends, is about the point when my hubris set in. I went back to Fantasyland and decided to ride the King Arthur Carrousel. While in line for the short wait, I think “yeah, I was going to skip Galaxy’s Edge since it’s so similar to WDW, but what if I didn’t?” I had done SO WELL that morning that I truly thought I could do it all. So I made the extremely stupid choice to book a 1:30pm ILL for Rise, as well as a LL for Millennium Falcon AT THE SAME TIME. This would have been fine, if I didn’t have a 2:30pm reservation at Blue Bayou. I truly just FORGOT how long Rise is. Like an idiot.

So I go to Galaxy’s Edge, and I actually run into Mando, which was so great! I’m actually a relatively new Star Wars fan, and I’m working my way through season 2 of Mando right now, so I was happy to grab a pic! He was so cute interacting with a baby in a stroller.

I was pretty anxious about the pickle I got myself in, so I decided to single rider Millennium Falcon and cancel the LL. I was real stressed, and even though I enjoyed the ride (and was QUITE good as an engineer), I was not in it 100% because of the overscheduling I had done to myself. By the time I got out of Millennium Falcon, it was close to 2. I SPRINT as best I can to Rise, and of course I have a blast on Rise, but I’m convinced I’m going to lose my BB reservation.

I then head south to New Orleans Square, as fast as my sore feet will carry me. I check in on my phone around the corner at 2:40pm and pretty much collapse on the sofa in the foyer. I couldn’t believe it when the app told me to check in with a cast member and I ACTUALLY still had my reservation!

I went with the Monte Cristo, as well as a glass of house Chardonnay after the anxiety of the last hour. I also vowed to never schedule 3 things for the same 60 minute period ever again.

The experience of BB was pretty cool, even though I was seated in the middle and couldn’t really see the boats. I really liked but didn’t love my food. I was expecting a little more. I was also very distracted by someone behind me who was complaining about “paying for vibes” when the food was “just fine.” I totally understand that take, but they hadn’t eaten anything yet which makes me believe they A. Were parroting someone else’s thoughts, B. Had been there before and willingly come back to complain, or C. Was just taking down the decision of their companion to dine at BB. Anywho, I 100% wanted the crime brûlée for dessert but I was SO FULL from the dish I had that I just couldn’t handle anything else. Truthfully, I live in NYC, and I paid about $60 total for a filling meal that included a glass of wine, which is better than some nights at home, so I was happy.

I decided to set my sights on Tale of the Lion King, but I had about 45 minutes to kill. I didn’t really feel like riding any rides but do you know what I had NEVER done before? Enchanted Tiki Room! I don’t think I even did it as a little kid in WDW. What a fun little show!

I made my way over to the theater and grabbed a Coke at Troubadour Tavern. What was pretty annoying was that I had to drink it straight out of the cup because they were out of straws….but they didn’t tell me that until they were handing me my drink. Feels like something that wouldn’t be too hard to note in the app for Mobile Orders. I ended up pouring the Coke into my water bottle to drink it. I really loved the show though. So fun and such strong performances! It was just what I needed.

Because it was right there, I grabbed a LL for Small World, which of course was just delightful. So much fun to look at the contemporary Disney references on that ride! It made the ride go by so much faster than I feel like it did in Disney World.

I then made a decision I am sad about but don’t regret - I made the decision to not go to Toontown at all. A future visit excursion, I guess. I just felt like a sacrifice had to be made. Instead, I went back to Fantasyland and jumped in line for Peter Pan’s Flight. In retrospect, I kind of wish I hadn’t. It’s very similar to WDW’s, and the 20 min ended up being 40 min. Notably, this was the only ride wait I had over 30 min of the entire trip. The ride is filled with nostalgia for me, and that’s great, but I probably should have just given it up and park-hopped if I wasn’t going to do Toontown. While I was in line for Peter’s Pan flight, I watched the lines for the Halloween overlays of Mater’s and Luigi’s go up and down in wait time. They weren’t too bad though, so I decided to park hop imminently.

As I walked out of the park, I saw the late showing of the parade going on, which felt like a perfect button to my time in Disneyland! (Little did I know I’d jump back in the park later).

I booked it back to CarsLand, which….wow. That is the coolest land!!! The theming is wonderful! Knowing I’d miss the “turn on the lights” moment, I jumped in line for Mater’s Junkyard, and I had a great time! More fun than Alien Swirling Saucers, I think, even though it's the same ride mechanism.

Then, as I left Mater’s, I realized there was a huge crowd on Main Street because the lights HADN’T turned on yet! I decided to make my way down to Luigi’s, but hang out outside so I could catch it. And….wow. Such a fun, cool moment, and we had the most perfect sunset as well. I felt like Walt Disney had engineered that moment for me.

Then I went into Luigi’s and….lemme tell you, I was underwhelmed by the ride after a pretty significant wait (I’d say 30 minutes, which felt like more after 2 days of walking around). It was cute but not for me. While I was in line, I was trying to strategize Radiator Springs Racers versus getting food and drink for World of Color versus getting a good spot for World of Color. I had done my first Virtual Queue earlier that day, and I was trying to time everything appropriately. That was when I realized that DCA closed after World of Color! Oh no! So I grabbed a ILL for RSR and went right there after Luigi’s. While in line, I got my notification that I had one hour to claim my spot at World of Color. That felt super do-able! What was kind of a bummer is I wanted a sweet snack, and nothing on the way was really appealing to me (I have a limited sweet palette, and ice cream felt really heavy when I had had a heavy lunch just a few hours prior). I did decide on a beverage from Cozy Cone Motel, however.

Radiator Springs Racers was SO GOOD! I loved it! And I can’t imagine not riding it at night, I loved the lights and everything. I was a single rider for a party of 5 (4 tween girls and a mom) so….that pic is probably a bit awkward. I didn’t have time to think about that though - I mobile ordered a pumpkin cider from Cozy Cone Motel and then made my way to stake out a spot for World of Color. I was able to sit for about 15 minutes before they made us stand, which was beautiful.

I actually got really lucky because the family who ended up being in front of me had a scooter that someone transferred out of to watch the show, and I stood behind the scooter, so I had an incredible view of the entire thing. And, you might have guessed this, but I SOBBED. That show was so amazingly great. I can’t believe the magic they created with just projections and water. I plan to rewatch it on YouTube multiple times.

On my way out of the park, I realized I still wanted a sweet snack, so I did what any normal person would do - I park-hopped back to Disneyland, mobile ordered a cupcake and giant cookie from Candy Kitchen, picked it up, and made my way back to my hotel. I only managed to eat about a third of the cookie before I passed out, exhausted from my time at Disney!

Wow, you did so much in two days. We were there for 5 days in August and I feel like we missed so much. We never managed to get on Radiator Springs Racers, and Toy Story MM was down for refurbishment. We also missed the lighting up ceremony at Cars Land and World of Color, which I was disappointed about. We loved Galaxy's Edge though and managed to ride both rides several times plus Star Tours about 6 times and Indiana Jones a few times. Pirates was always a short line so we rode that a heap. Same with Buzz. I need to plan another trip for when it's not so hot!

Sounds like a fun trip! There's always so much to do, but it sounds like you did pretty well for two days. Glad you had fun!!

Sounds like lots of fun, although we love Luigis- I think it's so hilariously fun :)

If you could send a message to your past self just getting off the plane in California, what would it be to make the trip better?

And Magic Happens makes me teary eyed when I play it on YouTube because it really is great and the memories we made while watching were even better.

Thanks so much for the all the little details in this report, I will be utilizing many of them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter