First RCI cruise booked....beverage questions....

pklein09

Winner DVC Trivia Contest April 2006
We have 5 staterooms booked on the Jewel of the Seas for November. It's extended family....mom and her husband, my Pop, SIL/BIL and 4 nephews, and DH and me.

We've only cruised Disney, so I know there will be differences....like a drink package. I drink water and hot tea. That's about it. I want a hot cup of tea in the morning and maybe another cuppa in the afternoon. I *might* have a glass of champagne over the course of the week, but that's about it.

I looked at the drink packages, and nearly choked! The refreshment package that listed "specialty teas" is $30/per day. :faint: I can't drink that much to justify the cost. Can I get a cup of tea without being charged? Can I get a glass of orange juice at breakfast or unsweetened iced tea at lunch without being charged?

I just want to be prepared....

I'm sure I'll have other questions as the cruise gets closer, but that's the big one for now.

Thanks!!!

I haven't cruised with RC yet but have been reading a ton on the RC blog website. Here is a page that explains the complimentary drinks. Looks like you should be just fine with wanting to drink some tea every day. I would expect that "premium tea" refers to going to a cafe and getting a tea latte, or maybe even ordering a tea at a cafe vs making one yourself at the buffet drink station. Looks like the juices that are part of the refreshment package are fresh squeezed, but regular 'fountain' type juice is available in the AM, like on DCL.

I haven't cruised with RC yet but have been reading a ton on the RC blog website. Here is a page that explains the complimentary drinks. Looks like you should be just fine with wanting to drink some tea every day. I would expect that "premium tea" refers to going to a cafe and getting a tea latte, or maybe even ordering a tea at a cafe vs making one yourself at the buffet drink station. Looks like the juices that are part of the refreshment package are fresh squeezed, but regular 'fountain' type juice is available in the AM, like on DCL.
Thank you for the link! I've tried poking around on their website, and it's just not intuitive to me.

I agree. I think the RC Blog isn't run by RC, just a knowledgeable cruiser, but lots of helpful info there and even RC-specific message boards.

Yes, you can get orange juice and iced tea without being charged. The "free" orange juice is from concentrate. The refreshment package will entitle you to "fresh squeezed" OJ.

You can always pay a la carte for any drink not covered by your package (or if you don't have one).

I agree. I think the RC Blog isn't run by RC, just a knowledgeable cruiser, but lots of helpful info there and even RC-specific message boards.
That's correct. Matt is a blogger/youtuber that is not affiliated with Royal. The site is pretty much a standard blog, which is why hunting around it can be frustrating.

As for tea, your standard teabag+hot water is included with the cruise cost. They have a few varieties, but if you're a stickler for a brand/type of tea I'd bring some with you.

We have 5 staterooms booked on the Jewel of the Seas for November. It's extended family....mom and her husband, my Pop, SIL/BIL and 4 nephews, and DH and me.

We've only cruised Disney, so I know there will be differences....like a drink package. I drink water and hot tea. That's about it. I want a hot cup of tea in the morning and maybe another cuppa in the afternoon. I *might* have a glass of champagne over the course of the week, but that's about it.

I looked at the drink packages, and nearly choked! The refreshment package that listed "specialty teas" is $30/per day. :faint: I can't drink that much to justify the cost. Can I get a cup of tea without being charged? Can I get a glass of orange juice at breakfast or unsweetened iced tea at lunch without being charged?

I just want to be prepared....

I'm sure I'll have other questions as the cruise gets closer, but that's the big one for now.

Thanks!!!
You definitely don't want the drink package! Juices (orange, apple, cranberry) are available in the morning, there is water, iced tea, lemonade, and sugar free vitamin-water type beverages the rest of the day. Hot tea and coffee are available 24/7. They have English breakfast, earl grey, green, chamomile, and decaf. Specialty teas would be like Tazo teas at Café Promenade.

They do a good job of trying to sell you a drink package, especially before you board, but do know that everything can be purchased a la carte.

I don't get a drink package.
I bring my own special tea (I like cinnamon).
I can make ice tea with the black tea bags....2 bags to a cup.
Fill the large Tervis tumbler I bring with ice and when the tea has sat for a few minutes, dump it over the ice.

DH gets the cheapest drink package because he needs his Coke Zero.

Last three cruises RCI.

Just know that if someone wants the alcoholic beverage package they will say every adult in the cabin has to buy it. We have to fight them every time because DS is an adult but disabled and doesn't drink. We have to provide a letter from his doctor and then they made him buy the most expensive non-alcohol package (one you are talking about).

Thank you for all the additional replies! I like English/Irish breakfast tea, and I do typically travel with my own tea bags. DH and I have agreed that none of the drink packages make sense for us. If we want an adult beverage, we'll just pay a la carte for them. Pop has also agreed that he can "survive" with the basic beverages. None of us drink soda, and we don't drink typically alcoholic/specialty beverages.

Last three cruises RCI.

Just know that if someone wants the alcoholic beverage package they will say every adult in the cabin has to buy it. We have to fight them every time because DS is an adult but disabled and doesn't drink. We have to provide a letter from his doctor and then they made him buy the most expensive non-alcohol package (one you are talking about).
According to all the posts on Cruise Critic, all one should need to do is call (can't be done online), say someone in the cabin doesn't drink, and purchase the non-alcohol package for them. I have yet to hear anyone else say they have to "fight" to get that to work. The non-alcohol package is around $20/day, includes soda, specialty coffees, bottled water, and fresh squeezed orange juice, in addition to the non-alcoholic drinks.

According to all the posts on Cruise Critic, all one should need to do is call (can't be done online), say someone in the cabin doesn't drink, and purchase the non-alcohol package for them. I have yet to hear anyone else say they have to "fight" to get that to work. The non-alcohol package is around $20/day, includes soda, specialty coffees, bottled water, and fresh squeezed orange juice, in addition to the non-alcoholic drinks.
I have had to fight, I have had to make MULTIPLE phone calls, I have had to send multiple copies of doctors letters for medical exemption and this was multiple cruises.

I have actually heard of many who had the same problem including people I know personally.

Great for those who had an easy time. Wish they were consistent. I posted so OP was prepared if that was the case.

PER WEBSITE: . All guests of legal drinking age in the same stateroom and under the same stateroom booking number are required to purchase the same alcoholic beverage package.

Last edited:
I got the refreshment package. It was worth it for me, because I love a nice mocktail, and prefer my hot chocolate to be mixed with milk, instead of water. I also "needed" Dr. Pepper/caffeine every day, or I would have gotten headaches, so I would have gotten the soda package anyway. I bought my package on Black Friday, so it was 50% off/ $16/day. 1-2 Pina Coladas and 1-3 refills in my Freestyle cup per day, plus all the Bionic Bar drinks that the kids had a blast creating, and I may have spent the full $32.99/day on drinks.
Although, the kids had just as much fun mixing juice at the Windjammer as they did mixing drinks at the Bionic Bar (which were often just sprite with a splash of juice)
We ended up having to move DH into a different cabin when we opted to bring the kids along, so he lost his discounted package. He still wanted it, so we paid quite a bit more for it, and I'm pretty sure we didn't get a good value out of his. He's a coffee drinker, but the "fancy" coffee places couldn't seem to wrap their minds around someone using a package to order a regular coffee. They wanted to add espresso. He thinks that they coffee was the same as that in the carafes available to everyone. He did get Powerade and other flavored water, but probably would have been fine with just water and his own drink packets.
They definitely have tea packets available. Our cabin had an electric kettle too. Although I understand that may be special to the Ovation. You can order tea through the continental breakfast, or just hot water. There will be a few types of juice at the buffet and main dining room. I don't know about iced tea. I didn't see any, but I wasn't looking for it. I think my sister did get a Long Island Iced Tea one day, so at least the bars have the ability, but whether they'll give it to you without charging you is another story.

It sounds as if you'll be fine without it.

We get the refreshment package for similar reasons to the PP, we don't drink alcohol, so the deluxe isn't something we would want. But having access to Mocktails, smoothies, fresh juices, milkshakes from Johnny Rockets, etc. is nice and you can easily hit the price for it, usually around $23 per day per person. A mocktail is around $8, so 3 of those, 2 soda refills and you are ahead. Add in that you can get bottled water from pretty much any bar, at around $2 a bottle, well worth it, just stop at bars on the way back to your room so you have bottles for later or to take off the ship with you.

Last three cruises RCI.

That's crazy they make you do that. DH is an alcoholic. We just call, say he can't drink, and we are good to go. He likes the refreshment package and gets good use of it, thankfully.
The last few cruises we have gotten him the refreshment package for $18/day at the most, so totally worth it for all the specialty coffees and fresh OJ he drinks. We usually book him in a room with my mom, since she likes the deluxe package. My dad and I don't drink enough to make it worth it, so we are in the other room. When we get on the ship we just have them swap our cards around so they open the right doors.
ETA: once a rep even let my dad get the soda package while my mom got the deluxe (we weren't on that cruise). Crazy how who you talk to can change what you can do.

That's crazy they make you do that. DH is an alcoholic. We just call, say he can't drink, and we are good to go. He likes the refreshment package and gets good use of it, thankfully.
The last few cruises we have gotten him the refreshment package for $18/day at the most, so totally worth it for all the specialty coffees and fresh OJ he drinks. We usually book him in a room with my mom, since she likes the deluxe package. My dad and I don't drink enough to make it worth it, so we are in the other room. When we get on the ship we just have them swap our cards around so they open the right doors.
ETA: once a rep even let my dad get the soda package while my mom got the deluxe (we weren't on that cruise). Crazy how who you talk to can change what you can do.
There was a short (~1 year?) period when RCI didn't have that requirement. General consensus is they have the "requirement" (and I put that in quotes, because everything I have read until this thread is it's not a problem if you call to book) because too many people were purchasing a single plan, then "sharing" that plan.

There was a short (~1 year?) period when RCI didn't have that requirement. General consensus is they have the "requirement" (and I put that in quotes, because everything I have read until this thread is it's not a problem if you call to book) because too many people were purchasing a single plan, then "sharing" that plan.
It was actually quite a while they allowed just one person to get the package. They changed it somewhere around 2017 to say everyone over 21 in the room had to do it.

I've purchased the refreshment package the past few cruises. While initially I thought it was worth it, recently I've found myself ordering drinks just to ensure I got my money's worth. Yes, you can get as much soda, freshly squeezed OJ, specialty coffees, virgin cocktails, bottled water as you want, but I'm not a big espresso drinker at home, and I get enough calories on the rest of the cruise that I can do without the juice and virgin cocktails.

I will say though that the refreshment package is more worthwhile on the new Oasis class ships that have the Vitality Cafe serving smoothies and all kinds of freshly squeezed juices (pineapple, orange, grapefruit, berries, I think mango). At least having to walk to that area of the ship will get me into the gym first before ordering them after.

I have had to fight, I have had to make MULTIPLE phone calls, I have had to send multiple copies of doctors letters for medical exemption and this was multiple cruises.

I have actually heard of many who had the same problem including people I know personally.

Great for those who had an easy time. Wish they were consistent. I posted so OP was prepared if that was the case.

PER WEBSITE: . All guests of legal drinking age in the same stateroom and under the same stateroom booking number are required to purchase the same alcoholic beverage package.
This is interesting. I just booked a European cruise on Odyssey for next Summer. I'm traveling with my 17 year-old who will turn 18 before the cruise. Since the drinking age in Europe is 18 they want me purchase the package for him. He does not drink nor does he like alcohol. I'm not against an18 year old having a drink or too, but who in their right mind would buy an 18 year-old fresh out of of high school an unlimited drink package. Hopefully, I don't see a lot of drunk teens on this cruise. Kids that age haven't built up a tolerance for alcohol.

I'm going to call Royal and try to get an exemption, but I don't want to buy the refreshment package. He only drinks water. I'm used to bringing on my own beer and wine on DCL and buy very little onboard. I'm not a huge drinker, but I do like my beer, wine ,lattes and bottled water. I'm not sure I'd get my money worth out of the drink package, but I'd like the option if they have a good sale on the drink packages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter