first haircut

disneydreamer1970

Loves planning surprise Disney trips!
I have seen some posts here about first haircuts at Disney. Has anyone done this with their DD's. My DD will be 23 months during her first trip to WDW and think that it would be fun to get her first haircut at MK if possible.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

;)

Oh, we did this on June 1! We took a 2 1/2 year old girl. She got a pretty trim--bangs and a little off the back--and (Maura, I think) fixed her hair with a clip and sprinkled her with pixie dust. They had some toys for her to play with while the cut was done, but she still teared up a little by the end. We took a lot of photos and video, and she got a first haircut certificate and a Mickey ears had that said First Haircut, and we were given a lock of her hair.

I'm pretty sure the cost was only $12! That's what a cut costs here!! We gave (Maura?) $25 including the tip.

It was a lot of fun and we'll always remember that first haircut. Now she's ready for another--I don't think it'll be so much fun.......

Thank you for the information!! Where exactly did you have this done< All that I want is her bangs cut, and just a little off the back, so this would be perfect. What a special place to have her first hair cut!

Thank you!

;)

Maura is FANTASTIC!! We had our ds' hair cut for the first time at WDW and it was truly a magical experience. Maura has lots of props that she uses for phot ops and cuts great hair (in fact I haven't been able to get as good a cut since we got back in January!!!) It costs $12 (which is a bargain for what you get) She keeps the kids well occupied with lots of different Disney toys and then "Tinkerbell" flies over and sprinkles Fairy Dust in their hair. They get a special pair of ears that say "My First Haircut" and a certificate signed by the Barbar.

I'm planning on putting off getting ds' hair cut so he can have Maura do it again. He talks about it all the time. He was 3.5 when he had it cut and they wrapped all his long curls in a napkin and then put them in a bag for us. Best $12 haircut I ever paid for and the experience was so, well, magical! What else do you expect from WDW?

:earsgirl:

We just had our grandsons first haircut on June 30! He is 10mo. and had a long comb over. The barber was wonderful!!! He spent time diverting him with stickers on his fingers, nose, shirt etc. This kept Noah busy and he cut his hair. Then gave Noah first haircut Mickey Ears, a certificate, hair in tissue to mom. Cost was $12 she gave him $20 and told him to keep it for the magical experience!!! Barber shop is in Magic Kingdom as you enter to yhe left by the barn where horses are kept!!

Thank you all very much for the info! This is going to be great! Do I need to make an appointment for this or can we just walk in?

Thank you!

They do not make appointments. It is first come first served. We did find that getting there as soon as the shop opens (which I believe is right as the people are let in) is nice and quiet. Also, seems like kids are fresher and more patient (not overstrung yet from all the excitement)

Hope your experience is as wonderful as ours was!

:earsgirl:

This sounds great...something that you don't find in the guidebooks. Thanks for the tip. We're going to get DD's first haircut there in September.

:jester:

catwho is right--we went right when the park first opened and the barbers were sitting and waiting. The youngun was clean and not sticky and not yet cranky. We loved it!

We have taken DS 3 times for the BEST haircut ever!! The first was his first trip when he was 13 mos old, Dec 2000 and then when we went in Sept 01 and this past May DH and DS got super haircuts!!! Michel (sp?) is just GREAT!! On our May trip, I was walking around with DS and DH was still in the chair and Michel was mentioning to him that someone from Disney Magazine was coming the following day for an upcoming article!!! I can't wait to see it!!

It is a great time, and definatley the best haircuts!!

When we were there getting ds's hair cut for the first time, there was a boy around 10 or 11, and he got the pixie dust sprinkled in his hair-it was cute.

There was an adult man that got his hair cut before our grandson, the barber came out the door behind him and sprinkled him with pixie dust!! I think they always make it magical!!

The Barber shoppe can in and entertained and it was all just so nice - I was very snuffly because they just touched my heart. Here she was getting here first haircut at 4 yo, and they made over her like Royalty. We treasure that memory.

I have waited so long for this... DD's hair is very overgrown (on purpose) so that she can get her haircut in MK. She doesn't like to get it done, since I am the one who does it. But she will just light up when they do the pixie dust. We can't wait! I still would like to get a lock of her hair and all. Thanks for the info.

We discovered the barbershop several years ago & now my husband makes it one of our stops in the MK every year. We have 18 month twin girls who have very fine sparse hair but when we go in October, I plan to have their first haircut in WDW!!! The barbers there really make it magical for everyone. I love when the barbershop quartet comes in and sings to everyone. I can't wait to see my girls' expressions when they get their hair done!!:) :D

I waited two years for my DS to have his first haircut at Disney.
At the last minute, I panicked because I loved his long curly hair so the barber only cut off one little curl and put it in a little bag for us. We still got the little certificate which I will keep forever. They were really nice!

Thank you all for your input! I can not wait! My DD's hair has been pulled back every day, since her bangs are down past her nose. Only a little while longer!

He-He! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We had our son's first haircut there and it was just as magical as others have written.

Someone asked about older kids. They do a great job with them, too. My older son had his hair "painted" green and spiked for the day. It came out very easily with shampoo. It was very cute because all the pixie dust stuck to the "paint" instead of falling out like it had on a previous trip.

They also did a nice job on our daughter. She left the shop with Mickey hair ties that she used until they literally wore out.

It is such a great shop, I was really surprised (and disappointed) that the remodeled shop still only has two barbers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter