First floor for medical reasons

tazleiten12

DIS Veteran
Is first floor just a request when for a medical reason? I was told we would het firsy floor when i made the reservation because of my husbands bad knees. Just got the room ready text from CBR, second floor. Do they have elevators?
Thanks

Is first floor just a request when for a medical reason? I was told we would het firsy floor when i made the reservation because of my husbands bad knees. Just got the room ready text from CBR, second floor. Do they have elevators?
Thanks

Sorry no elevators.

Tom

It is always a request and never a guarantee. You can go to the front and asked to be moved to the first floor. If you need a first floor guarantee or an elevator then you usually have to book an accessible room.

I suggest you go back to the front desk and ask if they can find a first floor room for you -- ask politely and be very kind, your attitude can go a long way in getting what you need. PPs are correct that a request is never guaranteed regardless of the reason, though a resort without elevators is supposed to make every effort to honor a medical request for first floor. It's possibly the reason and/or request was overlooked. Booking an accessible room may not guarantee first floor because not all accessible rooms are strictly "wheelchair accessible." Accessible rooms are spread throughout the resort and on various floors.

Enjoy your vacation!

Even though your husband has bad knees, that doesn't necessarily mean he would need a first floor room, and room requests are not guaranteed. If you are unhappy with your room location, show up at the front desk, don't call from the room - as that will usually connect you to a call center.

Yep, roll up to the front desk (actually go there, don't call) and be nice and tell them you would really like a ground floor room for your husband's knees, do they have one available?

If you made other requests, you could end up losing those.

Lanejudy is right - not all accessible rooms are on the first floor.

As others have said, "bad knees" can mean anything. And you were told on your call to a call center that would get first floor but all Disney World room requests are that - requests. I went with my husband who was in a temporary wheelchair and requested a first floor room but didn't expect it. We did get it. But I went with my father (late in life) with the same request and didn't get it. He was not wheelchair bound but it was the trip that made him realize he needed help as he had to walk to his room. But, an elevator was there and he could walk so if Disney doesn't know all the circumstances and has a computer to assign rooms, there can be misunderstandings.

This worries me. We are checking in to Caribbean Beach on Dec 27. We HAVE to have first floor. I explained this to them, and they "said" it would be fine. My father will be in an ECV, so with no elevators, we HAVE to be on the first floor. Fingers crossed I guess.

This worries me. We are checking in to Caribbean Beach on Dec 27. We HAVE to have first floor. I explained this to them, and they "said" it would be fine. My father will be in an ECV, so with no elevators, we HAVE to be on the first floor. Fingers crossed I guess.

Hopefully you made first floor your only request. That gives you a better shot at getting first floor. Other than that, show up at the resort as early as you can, and present your family at the check in desk. Tell them that you need a first floor room. Hopefully they will be able to get you one.

Unless you talk to the Special Services department, a request for first floor is just that, a request. The regular reservations cannot guarantee you anything when it comes to room location. Good luck!

So, I have booked my inlaws at OKW (DVC) 3 or 4 times now. I have always requested 1st floor for medical reasons because my mother in law has 2 bad knees. Every time they said they'd note it as a medical and led me to believe it was a guarantee because it was medical (and every time my inlaws did get 1st floor). For the recent booking, trip is in Jan, I was told for the first time that it's 'just a request and requests can't always be met'. I am a tad worried as my inlaws are 70 and MIL has bad knees and FIL has COPD. They really can't do steps. I have been told 'just a request and requests can't always be met' for my personal room requests which are not medical...I get that. And I'm okay with that but MIL and FIL are medical and need elevator or 1st floor.

It may not be fine at all. Sorry

So, I have booked my inlaws at OKW (DVC) 3 or 4 times now. I have always requested 1st floor for medical reasons because my mother in law has 2 bad knees. Every time they said they'd note it as a medical and led me to believe it was a guarantee because it was medical (and every time my inlaws did get 1st floor). For the recent booking, trip is in Jan, I was told for the first time that it's 'just a request and requests can't always be met'. I am a tad worried as my inlaws are 70 and MIL has bad knees and FIL has COPD. They really can't do steps. I have been told 'just a request and requests can't always be met' for my personal room requests which are not medical...I get that. And I'm okay with that but MIL and FIL are medical and need elevator or 1st floor.

For both, Medically necessary requests are booked through a different person/ department and are booking classes. Short of that special process it is just a request like any other request and it is not guaranteed.

Having dealt with this issue myself for years, I would bet donuts to dollars the CMs who told you it was fine discussed it with the special needs dept and you were "okay" and the latest CM either didn't know to do this or couldn't be bothered.

Having dealt with this issue myself for years, I would bet donuts to dollars the CMs who told you it was fine discussed it with the special needs dept and you were "okay" and the latest CM either didn't know to do this or couldn't be bothered.

Hopefully. But I have booked a room before and asked for the bottom floor due to my mom's knee problems and ended up with a second floor room. She dealt with it, but it was a hassle.

Well, when I made the reservation I explained the situation to them. They told me it was fine, we would get a first floor room, and not to worry. I certainly can't do much about it at this point. When we get there, if it's not a first floor room, then we will have to speak to a manager about how we can fix the situation.

When you call any place (Disney or not) to book a room, explain someone is disabled and can't do stairs, and they say they can accommodate you, then a reasonable person would take them at their word.

Well, when I made the reservation I explained the situation to them. They told me it was fine, we would get a first floor room, and not to worry. I certainly can't do much about it at this point. When we get there, if it's not a first floor room, then we will have to speak to a manager about how we can fix the situation.

When you call any place (Disney or not) to book a room, explain someone is disabled and can't do stairs, and they say they can accommodate you, then a reasonable person would take them at their word.

Hopefully everything will be ok. Unfortunately Disney does not block out rooms as they book them, so there is no way for them to guarantee you a first floor room, unless you go thru their Special Services department. Maybe the person you spoke with did that. But we have no way of knowing if they did or not.

The best thing you can do is show up at the resort as early as possible. Tell them of your need if they don't already have it noted. That way it will give you the best shot at getting a first floor room. The odds really are good that you will.

I understand your frustration. But Disney's fine print tells you it is a request only. Other than through the special medical line NOTHING IS GUARANTEED but some room, somewhere on property. Not necessarily even the resort you book. It is often reported when these "Guarantees" are not met
Good luck. At this time of year there may not be much a manager can do

I understand your frustration. But Disney's fine print tells you it is a request only. Other than through the special medical line NOTHING IS GUARANTEED but some room, somewhere on property. Not necessarily even the resort you book. It is often reported when these "Guarantees" are not met
Good luck. At this time of year there may not be much a manager can do

But, the guest is in an ECV and there are no elevators in this particular resort. I cannot imagine any hotel will tell the guest that he has to be dumped out of his wheelchair and carried up a flight of stairs. This is not the OP who posted their situation.

I called with the request for first floor for medical reasons for one of my party and was told that they did not accept medical requests. I did get first floor, so we were happy. No one mentioned anything about a special needs department. They did suggest we look into the DAS for getting around the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter