First Family Trip - Pop Century December 6-10

straychicken

Mouseketeer
We had been thinking about doing a trip to Disney for a while (we are typically National Park vacationers so we knew this would be totally different). We found a great deal on airfare through Allegiant to Sanford airport and went for it.

Our crew: Me, my DH, and our kids DD (almost 2) and DS (4 1/2 year old).

We stayed at Pop Century and met up with some family from Miami (total group was 10 people). We had considered paying a little more to upgrade to a moderate. But I am glad we didn't. The room was fine and a great value for the price. My son loved the giant Yo-Yos and the arcade. We went non-stop everyday and didn't spent much time at the resort so we wouldn't have got much benefit from upgrading.

Our itinerary was Animal Kingdom for a short day (December 6), Magic Kingdom (December 7), Hollywood Studios (December 8), and December 9 we had fast passes for Magic Kingdom in the afternoon but ended up going to Epcot in the morning and Hollywood Studios at night.

Our favorite things:

1. Tusker House Restaurant was great!

2. Magic Kingdom early in the morning before the crowds hit. We rode most of the rides in Fantasyland (and a couple in Tomorrowland)before 10:30 AM on December 7.

3. Seeing how my son who is just barely 40 inches reacted to the big rides. He was fearless (his favorite ride was Tower of Terror). He got to ride a lot of rides twice due to rider switch. Here is him riding Tower of Terror (little guy in front row) and Mine Train (also front row)

4. My daughter meeting Minnie Mouse. She was so excited and kept saying that is "Abby's Minnie". Then we she saw her she gave her a big kiss right on nose. She was on cloud 9.

5. Jedi Training School - We barely got our son in but were so lucky. He got on the last show and it rained all day that day. But his show wasn't cancelled. He does not understand Star Wars - but he got to fight a bad guy and that was the highlight of the whole trip for him!

6. Memory Maker - so many good photos. I didn't have to carry my big camera.

What didn't go so well...

1. It rained all day on Monday December 8. Our Miami family decided not to join us since they have an infant and didn't want him out in the rain. We soldiered on but that weather really did put a damper in things.

2. We had a Fast Pass for Anna and Elsa. We got a little turned around trying to get there. Then got on the wrong side of the parade. We walked around the whole park trying to get back where we needed to be and finally made it there. Just as we got to meet Anna my daughter had "diaper malfunction". The timing could not have been worse. Let's just say that only our son met Anna and Elsa due to this unfortunate event.:

3. I made Fast Passes for everyone but my son's little cousin (age 4 1/2) didn't end up riding the bigger rides (he got scared on Mine Train). I wish I had known and maybe adjusted the Fast Passes to be better for him.

4. We had 8:15 Hollywood and Vine reservation and my son complained the whole time because they didn't have pop tarts! He didn't really get into the character meeting and we definitely didn't get our money's worth on the experience or the food (and the food was not outstanding).

5. I made a 1:05 reservation for Whispering Canyon Cafe on December 7 for our group of 10. But my family had made it to the park late that morning and I could tell they weren't ready to leave for lunch. But due to the cancellation policy we headed there anyway.

6. The parade taping was going on the whole time we were there. It made getting in and out of Magic Kingdom a pain.

7. Having a 7 AM flight out of Sanford was tough. On our last day - we decided we wanted to get our moneys worth and see as much as possible since we had the next day to recover at home. We had a great day. Epcot in the morning (Soaring, plus three other rides), then lunch BOG fast pass followed by Enchanted Tells with Bell FP. Then Dole Whip, and 3 more rides before going to Hollywood Studios for the lights and snow play area. As expected we were completely wiped out but we had to pack and get up early.

Hope to be back someday! There were a lot of ups and downs (no trip with little ones will be smooth the whole time). But we have lots of great memories and photos and now that we know that our little guys is such a daredevil - I see lots of thrill rides in our future (probably at the local amusement parks but I could be persuaded to come back with a good deal before the little one turns 3).

Thanks for posting your fun to us all . :yay: We stay at Pop lots and love this resort . Hope that you all can get back to Disney again maybe after your young ones get a bit older . :yay::cool2: We get to go back again next Sep and can not wait :yay::yay::yay:

Following along. We were there at the same time and even in many of the same parks on the same days. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter