• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First ever cruise...I know nothing

dancin Disney style

<font color=blue>I found one to share with some fa
We are going on our first cruise. Our DD is going to be working on the Fantasy and we want to go visit. I am a micro planner and am not finding a whole lot of good info about the things I need to know to make the most of a cruise. So what do I need to know? What are really important things? I'm really lost on planning this.

I'm aware that shared tables are a thing at dinner. That for me is a HUGE no....it would actually ruin my experience. I have reasons. What options do we have? Also, on the subject of dinner....I see 2 seatings 5:30 (too early) and 8pm (we would be starving by then). What do people do?

For background.....
We travel a lot and have been to many countries. Done many all inclusive resorts. Well over 20 WDW trips. Just DH and I going on the cruise and will be flying to FL on the Thursday evening so that we can go to MK on Friday. Then embark the ship on Saturday for 7 nights.

Thanks!

You can request a private table but it may or may not happen. If it is a make or break for you you might miss out on some amazing dinners and need to eat at the pool deck or room service. The majority of people want a private table- it just doesn't always work out that way. My son is autistic and I have food allergies and we still haven't always been granted a private table.

Those times are the set dining times but if you pick later keep in mind you can always grab something from the pool deck or room service to tide you over. Again if this is a huge issue then a Disney Cruise might not be for you.

Things to consider booking- Excursions, spa treatments, upgraded dining at Palo (for an upcharge), tastings, photo packages, and transportation to port if not renting a car. Your booking window for those will be the last to open since you are first time cruisers so prepare to be flexible or forgo things if they are sold out by the time your booking window opens.

I know you want to visit your DD and I get it as I have one working a WDW right now but you need to really think about how much the dining times and shared seating matter to you because if they are that big of a deal you really might not want to sail DCL.

@dreamer17555 we are only going to visit DD…never missed one of her shows. We have never had any interest in cruising. So this will be an interesting experience. It would have been better if she was on a ship with shorter itineraries.

I’m not likely to book spa services or photo packages. Excursions are questionable. We’ve done all that sort of thing before. We are Canadian so everything costs us an extra 40% on the exchange rate.

Think of the cruise ship as a mostly-inclusive resort with optional extras. You can request (or, if booked through a travel agent, have your agent request) a private table for dining, but as noted, that is not guaranteed. You can also try to book one night each in Palo and Remy, which would guarantee private tables but have an additional cost.

My family has enjoyed booking late dining because it allows us to see the earlier show and then relax after dinner. We typically get a late-afternoon snack at Cove Cafe in the adult pool areas — that has (complimentary) desserts through most of the day and switches to appetizers (such as olives, breadsticks, and cured meats) in late afternoon. There is also other food on the pool deck to tide you over until dinner.

There is not anything you absolutely have to book in order to enjoy your cruise. There will be activities throughout the day that require no reservations. Other than excursions, spa treatments and specialty dining, the only other adult activity requiring advance booking is alcoholic beverage tastings, several of which will be offered each day for an additional fee.

If you feel the need to plan, I would focus on learning about the ports you will be visiting, since you won’t know the exact event schedule on the ship until you board. If your daughter can share previous schedules with you in advance, it may give you a good idea of what to expect, but there is very little onboard planning necessary unless you want to do things that may book up.

The thing I love most about cruising is there is very little micro planning involved. Most of the planning involved getting to and from the ship, including port days/excursions. There's a few things that can be pre booked but aren't integral to having a great cruise. Once on board you can choose to fill your day with character greetings or activities or just chill all day.

we are only going to visit DD…never missed one of her shows. We have never had any interest in cruising. So this will be an interesting experience. It would have been better if she was on a ship with shorter itineraries.
I'll just point out here, she may not be as available as you'd like while on the cruise. Remember, she's working. And, most of the time, onboard ships cast members have lots of jobs and not a lot of time off while onboard.

I'll just point out here, she may not be as available as you'd like while on the cruise. Remember, she's working. And, most of the time, onboard ships cast members have lots of jobs and not a lot of time off while onboard.
I haven't heard this about Disney, but one of the cruise Vloggers I follow last week was talking about some cruise lines cutting back on staff being allowed in public areas. I think this was mostly entertainment staff, so you might need to be aware of that.

We are going on our first cruise. Our DD is going to be working on the Fantasy and we want to go visit. I am a micro planner and am not finding a whole lot of good info about the things I need to know to make the most of a cruise. So what do I need to know? What are really important things? I'm really lost on planning this.

I'm aware that shared tables are a thing at dinner. That for me is a HUGE no....it would actually ruin my experience. I have reasons. What options do we have? Also, on the subject of dinner....I see 2 seatings 5:30 (too early) and 8pm (we would be starving by then). What do people do?

For background.....
We travel a lot and have been to many countries. Done many all inclusive resorts. Well over 20 WDW trips. Just DH and I going on the cruise and will be flying to FL on the Thursday evening so that we can go to MK on Friday. Then embark the ship on Saturday for 7 nights.

Thanks!
Maybe look on YouTube for a Fantasy tour or a trip report. This way you’ll actually see for yourself what Disney cruising entails.

For background.....

Thanks!

There is no way to guarantee not sharing a table. The best that you can do is put in a request. Other than that, your food options will be room service or asking if they can get you something to go. They shut down the food on the pool deck at 6pm and then reopen just the pizza a bit later.
As far as planning, the things that you have to book ahead of time are shore excursions, the alcohol tastings, and the adult restaurants. Almost everything else you just look at the schedule while on the ship and just show up.
I also want to add, for those who don't know, that sharing a table on the ship does not mean that you have to socialize with the other families. It is like a communal table type of thing. And honestly, there is only a few inches between your table and the one next to yours in most cases anyway. You can still reach out and touch the person sitting at the next table.

Request 2nd dining and a private table for dinner. Your private table request is more likely to be granted for 2nd dining. When you board, check at Dining Changes that you did receive a private table, and ask them to put you in one if you did not already receive one.

Just be flexible and adjust to your new dinner time for the cruise. Eat lunch later, etc.

First of all, cruising is nothing like any other mode of travel. It's much easier!

Do your planning on how to get there and back (flights, hotel, car service) then just enjoy. We often do no onboard activities that require preplanning.

Regarding your dining concerns, we always preferred late dining because it gave us more "day" time to do things. After dinner we would walk around the ship and then go to one of the adult venues. As we have aged, we sometimes do early dining because we don't stay up as late. The dining times are opposite the show times so early dining goes to later shows and later dining goes to early shows. The rotational dining (3 restaurants) is good with themed menus and entertainment. As mentioned, you can request a table alone but not guaranteed. We have actually met some very nice people at the dining table.

Before the cruise, download the DCL app. It doesn't do much until you are onboard then it populates with your dinner rotation and menus, all the shows, movies, special events (sail-away party, pirate's night, fireworks, etc ). None of those need reservations. There are several entertainment venues on board so in addition to your daughter's shows, you may find other shows you like.

If you decide not to do excursions (we sometimes don't), do some research on the ports. Often the ship docks right in the downtown area and you can debark and walk around. Also, sometimes port days are the best days to enjoy the ship because there are fewer people on board.

Enjoy and best wishes to your daughter!

For background.....

Thanks!
Main dining is at 5:45pm. That's when you get seated, the staff takes drink orders, and your food order. You'd likely have the first appetizer that you ordered by 6pm. Main dining is very popular, if you're sailing soon, you'll be assigned late dining and need to wait-list main dining. You can actually request a private table --once you're booked, you can access your reservation and under special requests, private dining is an option. You can also email DCL and request a private table that way. We are a party of 4 and have received a private table for all 3 cruises. For dining, Disney does rotational dining--you keep the same wait staff as you visit the 3 main dining rooms (there is a different menu every night--so while you'll be in the same restaurant 2-3x, the menu will be different. Animator's Palate had the 'Crush' show the first night, and the second night there, everyone draws a character and it gets animated on the screens!

There are 2 show times in the Walt Disney theater, you would go to the one opposite your dining time. (main dining/late show, late dining/early show.). On a 7nt cruise, there are 3 stage shows, usually 2-3 entertainers, and a recent Disney movie.

You will need to download the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app on your phones before your cruise. Once you are on the ship, it will have schedules for all activities, menus (although they do give real menus at dinner), and their 'chat' function. The app runs in airplane mode on the ships wifi for free. (Wifi for the 'real world' costs $.)

Tips--you will automatically be charged $14.50/passenger/night of the cruise which covers the stateroom host, server, assistant server, and head server. Room service is mostly free (some $ items), but you should tip the delivery person.

Dress codes in the main dining room are optional --the 2nd nt is formal night,and a sea day near the end of the cruise is semi formal night. There is also a pirate night with fireworks and a show on the pool deck.

Check out www.disneycruiselineblog.com for info on all things Disney, and check out some of the trip reports on this site. My Fantasy trip report is in my signature (although I can't see posts 8-10 on each page due to the issue on the boards...)

There is really not that much to plan in advance. As a first time cruiser, you can book drink tastings ($), port adventures, etc at 75 days out. At 30 days out you do online check-in (opens at midnight), book your port arrival time, upload passport photos, security photos, put in payment info, etc.

Oh, and a tip--while beverages in Cove Cafe and Vista Cafe cost money, the snacks are free--pastries until late afternoon, then cheese, olives, bread sticks, etc in the evenings.

Enjoy your cruise and congrats to your daughter!

Last edited:
Wow, @Geomom understands planning - lots of useful info.

Congrats on taking your daughter to lessons when she was a kid. The entertainers on DCL are great.

We eat early at home; about the same time as first seating. But on the ship, after two big meals for breakfast and lunch, that is too soon. Second seating seems late, but it isn’t just hunger that is the issue, it’s eating so close to bedtime. Best advice is to plan on staying up for a while. A stroll on the Deck 4 Promenade might help. There are a few activities before 11, but the ship is pretty quiet before midnight.

Last edited:
Food - besides scheduled dinner in the Main Dining Rooms (MDR), breakfast and dinner are available in those venues (one room each meal). Most guests eat breakfast and lunch in Cabanas, the buffet located at the top back of the ship. The hours for the buffet are somewhat restricted; they close between breakfast and lunch and are closed after lunch until the next morning.

Sometimes you will find some pub snacks in the sports bar in the evening.

The pool deck will have burgers, fries, pizza, schwarma… during midday and pizza again late at night.

Unlike an all-inclusive resort, alcohol is not included. Nor is there the option to purchase a cruise-long all you can drink package. (Reportedly poor) coffee, tea, milk, soda, juices are included with meals - and most of these are available for self-service on the pool deck - and to be (and may be again) 24 hours.

Cabin - They have good quality linens (if you stay at the resorts at WDW, similar quality) and nice mattresses (on the cushy side). The room steward will clean your room while you have breakfast and do a turn-down service during the evening. With a few exceptions, your bathroom will have a two-room configuration. One has the toilet and sink; the other a shower-over-tub and a sink.

You do not need to pack towels; pool and beach towels are provided in those areas.

There are self-service laundromats onboard if you like to pack light or wash/ dry bathing suits after use.

Verandah/ balcony staterooms have patio chairs (2).

There are no electrical outlets next to the bed, but there are both US and European outlets over the desk. There’s a small mini-fridge (not guaranteed to be very cool). Ice is available from the room steward or from the soda area on the pool deck.

This is effectively a cashless vacation. Not just that it uses a lot of your money. 😂

Any purchase made onboard will be charged to the credit card you designate. (You can pay cash at Guest Services for your account.). Typical expenses include souvenirs / Disney-themed goods in onboard shops or on Castaway Cay (Disney’s private island), alcohol, specialty coffee or tea in dining rooms or from Cove Cafe (in the adult area of the pool deck), and daily gratuities/ service charge (if not paid pre-cruise).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter