First Disney Cruise w/ CV restrictions - Worth it?

GoofEeyore26

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We (me, wife, and 3yr old son) are booked for our first Disney cruise in early May (my first cruise ever). Without the ability to see into the future to know if anything will change regarding the covid cruise restrictions (no sail away, kids club reservations, meet and greet changes, etc), I'm going to assume it'll be the same as it is today. That being said, do you think this being our first cruise will do it justice? We're big Disney fans and have heard so many great things about DCL, and now that we're finally able to go I'm worried the experience will be less than. And this wouldn't be a once-in-a-lifetime thing or a money thing. We're fortunate enough that we can cruise again (if we think it's worth it). I just want to know I'm still going to get some of that magic every always talks about with DCL.

So for those that have cruised before and now, thoughts? And if you have little ones, how was their experience different? Thanks!

Hi all,

We (me, wife, and 3yr old son) are booked for our first Disney cruise in early May (my first cruise ever). Without the ability to see into the future to know if anything will change regarding the covid cruise restrictions (no sail away, kids club reservations, meet and greet changes, etc), I'm going to assume it'll be the same as it is today. That being said, do you think this being our first cruise will do it justice? We're big Disney fans and have heard so many great things about DCL, and now that we're finally able to go I'm worried the experience will be less than. And this wouldn't be a once-in-a-lifetime thing or a money thing. We're fortunate enough that we can cruise again (if we think it's worth it). I just want to know I'm still going to get some of that magic every always talks about with DCL.

So for those that have cruised before and now, thoughts? And if you have little ones, how was their experience different? Thanks!
Yes, I had a very nice time during my October cruise (and I've cruised 6 pre-Covid DCL cruises, so I know what they used to be like). The main attractions are still there: beautiful ship, great service, characters (from a distance), Castaway Cay, themed restaurants, great shows, etc. The kids clubs are more limited, but at age 3 your son might have been too clingy to be deposited for hours at the club, anyway.

There is also no way to know what May will be like: it may well be more back to normal at that time, but who knows? There is a welcome aboard experience in the atrium that is actually more close-up with the characters than the sail away party was, as only a small number of passengers are there at the time. Your 3 year-old will probably like that a lot, as he'll get good views of the characters there & probably personal waves from Mickey, etc.

I would 100% cancel. Sail away, meet and greet, are what our kids love. If the clubs are important for you, that's another big consideration. I haven't cruised since all the changes (a few more weeks) and I wish I could cancel.

Last edited:
How reliable is your kid's ability to use a bathroom solo? That's another factor, and it's actually independent of COVID.

I will be taking my first Disney Cruise end of February. After watching some vlogs that took place with all of the covid restrictions, I’m still pretty excited for it. I was definitely a lot more confident about my decision before omicron though.

My itenirary is short (a 4 night) so that makes me feel better. Mostly because even with some reduced experiences, I still think there will be a lot for me to experience. If I had a longer itinerary maybe I would feel different.

A couple of other things to consider - since your child is not vaccinated, you will forced to take Disney excursions, which are pretty limited for that age. You can not explore any port (except CC) on your own. As to ports, some may or may not allow cruise ships in as this all progresses. We are supposed to go to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. GC has very strict rules and it's not likely we'll be able to port there. No word from Disney about a (hopeful) replacement, so we many end up with another sea day.

Really a tough and personal call. Disney is expensive, and our kids had great time, but they didn't use the kids clubs, and their only character interaction was the Character Breakfast, and they had soooo much interaction they complained their breakfast got cold!
For us, it appears 2022 will be another stay at home year until things get more under control.

Hi all,

I think it really depends on how flexible your family is on the experience. As others noted above they were adamant about port experiences or kids club, or certain activities. If you are dependent on that, then you may want to consider cancelling.

However, if you are flexible, and are willing to try new things, then it might be for you.

Just from my experience, I was on the Fantasy on the week of the 12th, we felt there was so many activities that we didn’t get to try. We intended to go to Sweet on You and never made it. However we did spend a lot of time relaxing by the pool, watching movies on board, doing trivia, watching shows, eating at Palo and Remy, character photo ops, etc.

We didn’t even get to all of the photo ops, see all of the random character interactions, trivia, art activities, game shows, Midship Detective Agency, tastings, etc.

That was our 8th cruise, and while there certain things we missed, by and large it was one of our more enjoyable and relaxing cruises. There were also things that were improved over past sailings (eg, characters being more interactive from a distance, and the massive amount of characters our for random meet and greets for selfies). We didn’t do everything and didn’t try to do everything. However, it was also just the two of us.

One other factor, things can change rapidly. May is still a long ways off. I’d wait until February or before the cancellation deadline / time to book Activities (whichever is earlier) to make your decision.

Remember, April or last year looked very different than July, which looked very different than September, which looked very different than December.

Ultimately, though, only you can decide for your family, but the good thing is that there is no wrong answer.

A couple of other things to consider - since your child is not vaccinated, you will forced to take Disney excursions, which are pretty limited for that age. You can not explore any port (except CC) on your own. As to ports, some may or may not allow cruise ships in as this all progresses. We are supposed to go to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. GC has very strict rules and it's not likely we'll be able to port there. No word from Disney about a (hopeful) replacement, so we many end up with another sea day.

Thanks. We're doing the 4 night CC / Bahamas, so we weren't planning to get off at bahamas anyways (been there before so no need with the little one) so that won't be an issue. I'm actually hoping for a CC double dip.

I love cruising with kids, but our family won’t cruise while the kids clubs are set up this way (everyone is different). The kids clubs, for our family, is a main justification for DCL pricing along with the up close character meets. The ability to have flexibility as a family and drop in and out of the club activities is not an option. At 3, you’re also straddling the line between club and nursery -except there’s no nursery right now- so it limits what can adult only activities you can do if they don’t take to the Club (at 3 it’s sort of iffy but the new protocols may help some of the littlest ones more in the club if there’s a silver lining).

If you do go, my suggestion is don’t make a firm we love/hate cruising decision (or love/hate Disney) based on that one cruise since it’s such a different experience right now.

I love cruising with kids, but our family won’t cruise while the kids clubs are set up this way (everyone is different). The kids clubs, for our family, is a main justification for DCL pricing along with the up close character meets. The ability to have flexibility as a family and drop in and out of the club activities is not an option. At 3, you’re also straddling the line between club and nursery -except there’s no nursery right now- so it limits what can adult only activities you can do if they don’t take to the Club (at 3 it’s sort of iffy but the new protocols may help some of the littlest ones more in the club if there’s a silver lining).

If you do go, my suggestion is don’t make a firm we love/hate cruising decision (or love/hate Disney) based on that one cruise since it’s such a different experience right now.

When you say straddling the line between club/nursery, what would you say in the tipping point? My son is fully potty trained, talks very well, and is in daycare right now -so spends most of the day not with us. He does take some time to warm up to strangers and will get the occasional separation anxiety freak out at daycare drop-off. Anything else you'd say should be considered? Do you know if they are still doing the first-day open house at the club?

My kids and I just sailed a quick three night on the Dream, leaving on the 24th of the December, and we had a fabulous time. We have sailed two 7 night cruises on the Fantasy (a western and an eastern itinerary) prior to Covid, and this little three night was my favorite due to the ship only being at something like 50 percent capacity. It was fantastic! My children are 12 and 9 and went to the kids club (my 12 year old only went as a birthday present to my 9 year old). I just asked them if the little ones seemed to enjoy the club, and they said yes - that the very little ones had a great time and seemed very happy. My 9 year old much preferred this kids club experience over his experience at 6 years old (they both felt it was chaotic back then). On the ship there were tons of characters and the atrium never seemed crowded to view them. I think it would be ideal for a three year old. The family beach at Castaway Cay was not crowded at all - it was a dream!

I can't say universally, but we did our first disney cruise when my son was 3.5, also in daycare all the time, though sometimes with transition issues (fine once I left, but some resistance at drop off sometimes) - but nonetheless took too long to warm up to the kids club given it was a 3 day. He was excited at the open house (which I'd read they were still doing, but can't first hand verify), and then reluctant at drop off the first time, and lasted only 20 minutes before I got a message he wanted to leave (I assume he was both upset and persistent, since I don't think they message right away).

He then resisted going back (but was excited enough by sand castle building at Castaway Cay to go to the club on island - he didn't get to stay long, for unrelated reasons, so I can't say how long that would have lasted). It wasn't until the evening of our last night that he was really willing to go - I think I timed drop off with some character he wanted to meet, which is not an option these days, and promised to check in after the visit to see if he wanted to stay. He was fine after that - and on our next cruise four months later, but it took some time for him to acclimate. I think under the current rules it would have been harder - no flexibility to align drop off with willingness/interest/activities - but still would have eventually happened.

I hadn't expected issues, and was sort of bummed the only time I got to benefit from the kids club (a primary draw given single parenthood) was while packing to leave, but you never know with kids. It might also be easier under the current set up, if there are fewer kids, or more structured procedures - something to involve a kid in immediately, rather than this nebulous free for all. Might also depend on the ship you're on - one of the ones with a slide in the kid club might prove less of a barrier...

But even with the lack of club, we had plenty of stuff to do and still had fun. I can't remember what, precisely, probably mostly pool/splash pad and recovery therefrom, along with character meets. Honestly the covid related pool time limits and character restrictions (along with lack of kids club flexibility - it's nice to just drop off when you feel like it rather than have a schedule, but given the timeframes offered and my lack of interest in most adult only activities, I decided it wasn't a deal breaker) are what seem to be the biggest bummer for us, but maybe won't seem as bad once we do it. We never did sail away (always recovering from muster drill trauma - older kid who does not do noise, crowds, etc), fireworks or shows. But everyone enjoys something different.

When you say straddling the line between club/nursery, what would you say in the tipping point? My son is fully potty trained, talks very well, and is in daycare right now -so spends most of the day not with us. He does take some time to warm up to strangers and will get the occasional separation anxiety freak out at daycare drop-off. Anything else you'd say should be considered? Do you know if they are still doing the first-day open house at the club?
The great thing about 3 is you can do both. So for our one who got overwhelmed in the clubs we’d send him there for activities and it was fine if he left after 15 minutes, but when we needed a set amount of time (for Palo and our couples massage) we did the nursery since it’s not a free for all and they did better with kids who were a little upset).
The clubs can get crowded and when one side has an open house the remaining side becomes the only secured club so you can have 3-9 year old together which did get more overwhelming for mine (again “Before Times”)

I would postpone it. My wife & I have had to do this across nearly 2 years at this point, first because DCL shut down and currently, because of the restrictions & "way of the world". Whenever we do finally end up going, this will be DCL cruise #20 for us... so we have a bit of experience.

You are paying a premium price (I might argue an above premium price looking at the current DCL rates) and not getting the same product as pre-covid. Some things are missing (the importance of which is in the eye of the beholder), and many things are restricted (dare I say "watered down"?). But as a package, it's not the value that it used to be no matter what.

I think the other big factor is beyond just DCL. The covid culture is difficult. No matter your position, there is going to be judging from "the other side". Just walk down the street with or without a mask and try not to notice the judging from those doing/believing the opposite. Why pay a premium price for that? That's just on the ship (and Castaway). What will it be like if you get off the ship? And what about changed itineraries because of local rules?

We are big Disney fans. We've been to WDW twice since they re-opened. So this isn't at all anti-Disney! But few days walking around 27,000 acres in Orlando is a lot different than being on a contained cruise ship for that same amount of time.

DCL isn't going away. They are expanding! I totally understand the draw (about 20 times over). But I think you'll enjoy it a lot more when you get back to what you're paying for.

I just booked refundable flights and port Orleans resort as a back up for our Jan 22 cruise. We have a 3yo, and the prospect of driving home from Miami before or after the cruise is not fun.i haven't cancelled yet, because who knows, we could all get covid this week and be recovered by Jan 22. If not, I just can't see rolling the dice...

The bummer is I got a very good rate on this cruise, one I'll not likely see again, and ended up in a 5a after booking a 7a gty. But unless we all get and recover from covid and can get 90d recovery letters by Jan 22, I'm gonna have to bail 😕

We booked a Disney cruise in 2019 before covid for 2021. We rescheduled that cruise for 2022, but then decided to cancel. It was just too much money for me with the uncertainty. Plus I would be worried the whole time about being designated a close contact or testing positive. It wasn’t worth it to have to be quarantined on a ship. We are doing Disney world instead.

As someone who has done 23 DCL cruises since 2004 I would not recommend a first time cruiser going now until this virus has settled down. We are going in February knowing some of the experiences will be changed but we are willing to accept that.

We’re first time cruisers and are planning to go at the end of March with a 5 and 7 year old (thinking that the current Omicron surge will likely drop off by then). Our kids are fully vaccinated and we are boosted.

We know that it won’t be the same but we have been highly anticipating this vacation since it was first booked in 2019 and figure that we just really want a vacation and life must go on at some point. We told the kids for Christmas and they are super excited to just be out on the ship in the ocean (we have been showing them videos, etc) so there’s no going back on it now unless it gets cancelled. I’m sure we’ll have a fun time no matter what and maybe the next one will be better! For us though, it’s not a once in a lifetime cruise, we’ll be able to afford to go again if we want to and maybe it will just be better next time! We live in an area that has basically had mask mandates all along so we’re all used to wearing masks daily at school and work anyways. That part of it might not be as big of a deal to us as to others that aren’t used to it.

The dealbreaker for me would probably be if they cancelled live performances (in the restaurants and theater). At that point I would probably consider cancelling.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter