First Cruise: Help The Noobie

DougDavis

Earning My Ears
So just minutes ago I booked our first cruise ever as a last minute surprise Christmas gift for my wife. It will be myself, my wife and our daughter.
We are doing the 1/24-31 Southern Caribbean Cruise out of San Juan on the Wonderful.

I have downloaded the cruise line app for my phone.
Other than that what do I do next?!?!

Is it to late to get an resv's to good places like the Palo I keep hearing about?
Shore excursions?

I need suggestions and help from you veterans!

So just minutes ago I booked our first cruise ever as a last minute surprise Christmas gift for my wife. It will be myself, my wife and our daughter.
We are doing the 1/24-31 Southern Caribbean Cruise out of San Juan on the Wonderful.

I have downloaded the cruise line app for my phone.
Other than that what do I do next?!?!

Is it to late to get an resv's to good places like the Palo I keep hearing about?
Shore excursions?

I need suggestions and help from you veterans!
Only way to tell if there are any Palo reservations left is to go into your reservation online and check the excursion section. That's where adult dining reservations are booked, if there's availability. Could already be booked, or not.

If there's nothing available today, keep checking. Often people make a reservation and then cancel. If nothing opens up beforehand, check the Navigator you get upon check in at the port for where Palo dining changes are being handled, and go there to inquire about a reservation.

i just got back from my first Disney Cruise. Check your navigator the night before to see if there are any tastings or activities you, your wife or daughter want to do. Some you need tickets or reservations for. You're likely to be tired at night to look it over, but we missed out on a few things because we didn't. We didnt know we would need to reserve a spot. Every activity isn't like that, but we didn't see how to tell which did or didn't.

Okay going through the resv stuff now.
Any suggestions on must do stuff to add to the list?

It looks like Palo dinner is available but no brunches.
(Edit- Well it says its not sold out but wont let me make a resv either, strange.)

Okay going through the resv stuff now.
Any suggestions on must do stuff to add to the list?

It looks like Palo dinner is available but no brunches.
(Edit- Well it says its not sold out but wont let me make a resv either, strange.)
Brunch is only served on sea days. If you can't make a reservation, then they are full. However, DCL does hold back some reservations for booking onboard.

This is nuts. There is not a single place on the website, after you book, showing what time dinner and the shows are. An actual detailed itinerary. So you dont accidently book a couples massage during a show or our formal dinner night.
There website needs a serious revamp.

This is nuts. There is not a single place on the website, after you book, showing what time dinner and the shows are. An actual detailed itinerary. So you dont accidently book a couples massage during a show or our formal dinner night.
There website needs a serious revamp.
It's not on the reservation. Or anywhere on the website. Dinner seatings are typically 5:45 for early seating and 8:00 for late seating. Although this can vary slightly from cruise to cruise. Show times are roughly at the same time. So, if you have early seating for dinner, you see the show afterward, and if you have late dinner, you see the show beforehand.

You can check previous Navigators for an idea of what activities/times have been offered on past cruises here:
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

Thats my point. Its 2015. Why am I having to go to a second hand source for when my show times or dinner times will be?
All this information should be immediately available to you upon booking the cruise.

Thats my point. Its 2015. Why am I having to go to a second hand source for when my show times or dinner times will be?
All this information should be immediately available to you upon booking the cruise.
Because the DCL website doesn't do specific information for such things. It's basically a generic Disney Cruise info site. With 4 ships handling upwards of 25 or more different cruises, they can't keep all that information up to date. Heck, they can't keep the generic information up to date sometimes.

For specific information you have to ask here or on other cruise related forums.

if its a Christmas surprise you may want to set up a phone call from mickey or one of the others. even though dh always knew when we were going I would set up the call at odd times so it could just remind him again that WERE GOING ON A DISNEY CRUISE!. there always fun to get.
just a thought.

Things change at the last minute all the time depending on weather, mechanicals or supplies, so your navigator print and on phone app are a valuable resource. Prior to boarding you can grab the navigator introducing the cruise and it will list times to sign up for princess or other special meet and greets. There are also regular meets in the atrium, watch the navigator for times and characters. The tasting are all reservation events and you sign up at the posted location once aboard, they also have a fee.

Don't know DD age but if not adult make sure she checks out the clubs when you board, sign her up, our DD loved being with others her age and enjoying all the activities. Its pretty last minute but be sure to check out your cruise meet thread in the event someone has any openings left in a private excursion they may be organizing. Look over the port excursions being offered and sign up for the ones you would like to do, the most popular do sell out.

On board ask, all cast members are very friendly and always helpful. Most carry around a navigator in their pocket so they can keep up with the daily activities as well. They will point you in the right direction, send you to the correct service desk or help with general information or they will just chat with you if you are just wondering. Once aboard and waiting for your stateroom to be ready, lunch it topside or in Parrot Cay, also a good time to finish making your plans. The stage main shows are a must see, we continue to enjoy them even though we have seen them all before.

Be on time for supper, your server will be waiting for everyone at the table to serve. Navigator will tell you where the table service breakfast and lunch are served or you can always go up to the Beach Blanket buffet. All dining and restaurant times are published daily in your navigator. Don't feel bad if you miss something sometime, there is so much it is very hard to catch it all. Bring a highlighter to help with your planning each night in the next days navigator, helps not missing things you want to do.

Room service has PBJ uncrustsbles and Mickey ice cream bars, but don't appear on the menu. Bring a magnet to identify your door and help everyone remember which is yours. Check out the door magnet threads for ideas. Have Fun.

We're on the same cruise the following week, and Palo brunch was full at midnight of the booking window for us (Silver). We'll keep looking to see if anything opens up, but we're not too fussed about it because we booked massages that day.

If spa experiences are wanted on a sea day, book those ASAP. Book Palo dinner, if you're interested.

See if there are any shore excursions you might be particularly interested in. Check out Trip Advisor to get an overview of what's fun or important at each port, and any other fun shorexs that might be worth booking outside of Disney. They're usually cheaper that way; sometimes a little, occasionally a lot.

Everybody have a passport? Don't leave home without it and you can save time at the port by inputting all the information needed for online check-in.

Things change at the last minute all the time depending on weather, mechanicals or supplies, so your navigator print and on phone app are a valuable resource. Prior to boarding you can grab the navigator introducing the cruise and it will list times to sign up for princess or other special meet and greets. There are also regular meets in the atrium, watch the navigator for times and characters. The tasting are all reservation events and you sign up at the posted location once aboard, they also have a fee.

Don't know DD age but if not adult make sure she checks out the clubs when you board, sign her up, our DD loved being with others her age and enjoying all the activities. Its pretty last minute but be sure to check out your cruise meet thread in the event someone has any openings left in a private excursion they may be organizing. Look over the port excursions being offered and sign up for the ones you would like to do, the most popular do sell out.

On board ask, all cast members are very friendly and always helpful. Most carry around a navigator in their pocket so they can keep up with the daily activities as well. They will point you in the right direction, send you to the correct service desk or help with general information or they will just chat with you if you are just wondering. Once aboard and waiting for your stateroom to be ready, lunch it topside or in Parrot Cay, also a good time to finish making your plans. The stage main shows are a must see, we continue to enjoy them even though we have seen them all before.

Be on time for supper, your server will be waiting for everyone at the table to serve. Navigator will tell you where the table service breakfast and lunch are served or you can always go up to the Beach Blanket buffet. All dining and restaurant times are published daily in your navigator. Don't feel bad if you miss something sometime, there is so much it is very hard to catch it all. Bring a highlighter to help with your planning each night in the next days navigator, helps not missing things you want to do.

Room service has PBJ uncrustsbles and Mickey ice cream bars, but don't appear on the menu. Bring a magnet to identify your door and help everyone remember which is yours. Check out the door magnet threads for ideas. Have Fun.

1. As a long time Disney traveler I guess Im used to the parks and resort way of doing things where all the information is readily available and instantly attainable via the website. I have my room ,food, entertainment and such planned out completely before going on the trip. I just assumed it would be the same here.

2. What is a DD?

So new problem. Wife wants a couple massage. Only time I can book one would be in the evening prior to dinner. But I called and they didn finally tell me what our dinner times would be and said our show times each night would be 6:15 or 6:30. And my wife says, sadly, well I dont want to miss the show, so I guess I wont get the massage.

But now Im hearing some of the shows may be repeats? That its not a different show all 6-7 nights at sea? Is this true?
In which case maybe she could get the couples massage one night and miss a show and we see it another night. But how do we know with no information?

Im a strategy guy. Not having whats going to happen in advance is driving me nuts! (As Im sure you can tell LOL) :scared:

Edit-
Bring a highlighter to help with your planning each night in the next days navigator, helps not missing things you want to do.

But how can I sign up for shore excursions if there may be things on the boat I want to do? Or are these evening things?

We're on the same cruise the following week, and Palo brunch was full at midnight of the booking window for us (Silver). We'll keep looking to see if anything opens up, but we're not too fussed about it because we booked massages that day.

If spa experiences are wanted on a sea day, book those ASAP. Book Palo dinner, if you're interested.

See if there are any shore excursions you might be particularly interested in. Check out Trip Advisor to get an overview of what's fun or important at each port, and any other fun shorexs that might be worth booking outside of Disney. They're usually cheaper that way; sometimes a little, occasionally a lot.

Everybody have a passport? Don't leave home without it and you can save time at the port by inputting all the information needed for online check-in.

We tried to do the couples massage. Wife wants one. The only two times available on the at sea day are 8am (uh no) and like 5:30. 5:30 would be okay since our dinner time isnt til 8 but wife is worried it will run into the show time. See my post above.

The woman on the phone said they may have some openings when we get to the ship? That not all openings are put online?

Good advice on trip advisor. I will check it out. I was planning on using it to find decent local restaurants in each port for lunch. Didnt think about shore excursions as well.

OK do you're like me. A planner with a bit of a FOMO (fear of missing out) thing. It is always a bit of a best guess process with the knowledge that you can change some things (not all) once on board.

I have done both Palo dinner and brunch. Both were wonderful so if only dinner is left maybe book one for a night in the second half of your cruise. That gives you time to change it once on board when you know what else might be going on and whether you would prefer a different time etc. I did Palo dinner at a similar time to my usual dining (always done 2nd seating as never travelled with kids). That means that since the show is on first I can still see it before Palo. Then everyone swaps over so the people with the earlier dinner get to see the show 2nd but it is the same show - no missing out! There are then later night shows for adults only too but they are not a repeat even when the same performer, just a slightly more adult targeted show (although still Disney friendly - nothing dirty or distasteful).

Also, any port days there is less on the ship schedule as they know there will be fewer people so you are less likely to miss things by going on the shore excursion. Some excursions can be booked onboard but if there is anything that looks particularly good then book it in advance in case it is full by the time you get onboard.

Disney cruise is actually quite well organised so don't stress over everything. Ask lots of questions when you first board and read all the information and you will be fine to plan and grab tickets for the very busy things (princesses) or extra cost things (alcohol tastings) that require this.

If you relax and go with the flow a bit you will have a great cruise. Remember, just like the parks you cannot do everything in one trip so just prioritise and focus on what you can do rather than what you might be missing.

Oh and another vote for the recommended blog. Things change but the old navigators will give you some idea of how it all works.

DD = Disney daughter. DW = Disney wife. You would be DH.

Yes, on a 7 day cruise there are repeat shows. off the top of my head, I think there are 3 - believe, Aladdin and wishes.

Couples massages are exclusively at 5 and 7 as I recall. Although senses is overrated. We stopped using them as they are too sales-y.

Resign yourself to the fact you can not do EVERYTHING. You have to pick and choose. In general though there is little going on in the ship while its in port. You shouldnt miss shipboard activities by doing a shore excursion. The pool and aqua duck are open and food. That's about it.

Oh and another vote for the recommended blog. Things change but the old navigators will give you some idea of how it all works.

I must be blind but I cant find any Navigators on that Disney Cruise Blog that pertain to our cruise and there is absolutely zero information there about the ports of call and shore excursions.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/itineraries/itinerary-summary/?itinerary=96

Is this itinerary similar to yours?

Also, the shore excursions are on the DCL site itself. You can search by cruise port to see what is available in each port. Then log in and once you have done the online check in you can book cruise excursions through the DCL site. Alternatively, if you just want info about the cruise port and not Disney excursions then the cruise critic site has great summaries, reviews and recommendations.

Yes similar, but I think we go in a slightly different order and hit Martinique instead of St Lucia. I will look through what info is there.

As far as the shore excursions, I just meant the blog site had no reviews or info. There is a tab to click on after you click on the port of call, but there is no info under that tab.

You mention the cruise critic site, which one should I be looking at?

Thanks for the help so far.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/itineraries/itinerary-summary/?itinerary=96

Is this itinerary similar to yours?

Also, the shore excursions are on the DCL site itself. You can search by cruise port to see what is available in each port. Then log in and once you have done the online check in you can book cruise excursions through the DCL site. Alternatively, if you just want info about the cruise port and not Disney excursions then the cruise critic site has great summaries, reviews and recommendations.

Last edited:
Know that this lack of info is not necessarily a DCL issue - it is the cruise industry in general, it seems. We just booked a Royal Caribbean cruise for the first time, and the level of info on the schedules and activities is almost the same as Disney's. Luckily there is also a Royal Cruise Line Blog from which to glean info, as well as the Cruise Critic boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter