First cruise - Dream (4nights) or Magic (5 nights)

DianaMB333

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Hi,
Which one would you recommend please?
The 5 days itinerary feels less rushed, but would be the experience in the newer ship much worth it?
First trip - party of 4 including a 6 yr old.
Thanks!

Hi,
The 5 days itinerary feels less rushed, but would be the experience in the newer ship much worth it?
Thanks!
As a parent I vote for the Dream. It has more kid-friendly activities such as the Aqua Duck water coaster (which they'll have to be 42" to ride, and must ride with an adult until they're 54"), while the Magic has Aqua Dunk, which is a drop-down slide that many kids (and even some adults) find too scary to ride. The Dream also has a smaller twisty waterslide just for kids.

The Dream also has the virtual, interactive & self-paced Midship Detective Agency scavenger hunt, which kids love. It has miniature golf on the sports deck, and virtual sports, as well. It has two family pools instead of one, and a kids' water play area. It also has Vanellope's upcharge sweets shop, and you are able to preorder preferred sweets from there to be delivered to the MDR for dessert if none of the regular MDR desserts appeals to you any given night. In the inside staterooms, it has magical portholes where you get a virtual view with characters randomly appearing, and family-level staterooms have a rainfall shower & round bathtub. None of these features is on the Magic. The Beauty and the Beast show (assuming the Dream is still showing it after resuming cruising) is DCL's best, imo. Since the Dream is newer (the Magic is the oldest ship), the staterooms feel a bit fresher, too.

We've sailed on the Magic, Dream and Fantasy and the Magic is my favorite. We love that it is smaller and, if you are visiting CC, it means the private island will be far less crowded than if you are visiting on one of the larger ships. Especially for a first cruise, my DS found the Magic to be far less overwhelming than the bigger ships. Plus, the longer cruise gives you time to relax and really enjoy the experience. My vote is for the longer cruise on the Magic.

Hi,
Thanks!
Well, I'm firmly in the "longer is better" camp when it comes to cruising, so I'd probably opt for the 5 night over the 4. Regardless of which ship it is.

May I ask you why do you prefer it? :)

My whole family (daughters are 11, 14, & 16 and we have been cruising for 8 years) prefers the classic ships for several reasons. We like that they are smaller and easier to get around, and we don't miss the bells & whistles that the newer/larger ships have. I love that there are fewer people, and the dining rooms are smaller and less hectic/noisy. The fact that there are fewer people is noticeable to me at embarkation, getting on/off in ports, before & after shows in the theater, at Castaway Cay, and when there are shows/parties in the atrium and on the pool deck. The whole ship just seems to have a slower, more relaxed pace and that suits our vacation style more. I much prefer Palo brunch on the Magic/Wonder as well as it is on the back of the ship instead of the side and has 180 degrees of windows with the buffet spread out in the middle. On the Dream/Fantasy it is tucked back into a corner. Those are the first things that come to mind. If I think of more I'll come back and add them.

My whole family (daughters are 11, 14, & 16 and we have been cruising for 8 years) prefers the classic ships for several reasons. We like that they are smaller and easier to get around, and we don't miss the bells & whistles that the newer/larger ships have. I love that there are fewer people, and the dining rooms are smaller and less hectic/noisy. The fact that there are fewer people is noticeable to me at embarkation, getting on/off in ports, before & after shows in the theater, at Castaway Cay, and when there are shows/parties in the atrium and on the pool deck. The whole ship just seems to have a slower, more relaxed pace and that suits our vacation style more. I much prefer Palo brunch on the Magic/Wonder as well as it is on the back of the ship instead of the side and has 180 degrees of windows with the buffet spread out in the middle. On the Dream/Fantasy it is tucked back into a corner. Those are the first things that come to mind. If I think of more I'll come back and add them.
Thanks!

The Magic! Hands down. Because my husband and I are all about the adult pool section. And there's nothing like the size of the Magic, compared to the Fantasy and Dream's adult pools (soooo small). So if your 6 yr old falls in love with the kids clubs, you will loooooove the adult section of this ship. Can I ask, when is a 5 day on the Magic and where is it going? I've done the Dream, Magic and Wonder and Magic was our favorite for sure.

Are they both stopping at Castaway Cay? If so, I would say Magic. The beach seems much less crowded when the Magic docks vs the Dream. If your child is 6 it's ok if you skip out on the Midship Detective.... unless they are a fabulous reader already, you'll have to go with them, and that fills your time up. My kids (now 9 and 6) loved both ships, but the Dream has a lot of people on it. You can't go wrong with either, but for a first cruise I would go for 5 nights... :)

Another vote for the Magic. I love the classic ships. We have done the Dream and Fantasy once and our other 15 have been on the Magic & Wonder. The classic ships usually offer more interesting itineraries, don't feel as crowded and I prefer their shows. We love the Rapunzel restaurant (though Tiana's is actually my favorite) and Tangled the musical. I will agree there is more to do on the Dream. But it is only a 5 day cruise and you will not have time to feel bored. I have been on the Magic for 11 days and still wished we had more time.

All of that said, I am also in the camp of more days are always better! But I'm sure you will be happy with either. 😊

Longer always better! Magic is my favorite for all the reasons mentioned....size, fewer people, less crowded in theatre and dining and at CC. Have fun!

First time cruiser here. Just booked my very first cruise on the Dream sailing out of Port Canaveral to Castaway Cay February 4th. I highly recommend this as a first cruise to test the waters and see how you like it. Don't forget to book through your Dreams Unlimited Travel agent!

Last edited:
Another vote for the magic here.

As others said, its smaller and more relaxing. 5 nights is better than 4. That extra night makes a lot of difference. The ships do have differences in offerings but really, you can't go wrong with either ship. There's plenty to do on each ship.

The biggest difference you will notice as previously mentioned is on Castaway. The island is far less crowded when you sail on the Magic instead of the Dream.

Magic - have sailed on both multiple times. Longer cruise is better, IMO. I prefer the classic ships for reasons already noted. Plus then if you go again, you can try one of the bigger ships that has more activities/people, etc.

Thanks for the comments!

Both of them go to Bahamas, Dream sails from Port Canaveral / Magic from Miami.

I'm not sure if this is going to be the first cruise or one in a lifetime cruise lol.. depending on how the family (and my niece) enjoys it...

Also I would like to be with my niece all the time lol.. so don"t mind doing scanvenger hunts etc.. but the crowd levels at Castaway might be an element

neither one have concierge available today, but once we made up a decision on which one to do then will waitlist for it

But still haven't decided lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter