• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First contract advice - Poly1 resale

♥ Mandi ♥

Mouseketeer
Family of 6 looking to finally bite the bullet and buy in.
Budget is about $30,000. Thinking 200 points.

We’re probably almost definitely looking at the Poly using the “buy where you want to stay” advice. While we wouldn’t mind staying at BLT, BCV, BWV, getting boxed into SSR or OKW at 7mos would be a big negative for us.

Right now, we’re in a studio since our baby is still under 3, but in another 18 mos we’d be forced into two studios or a 2BR if our entire family heads down.

I know Poly2 association info is up in the air; but if we’re OK with 2 studios at Poly1 as a worst case scenario, would now be the time to buy in resale? I’m assuming once news on Poly2’s association is released, it would mean an increase in Poly1 resale price per point if it’s the same association or a decrease in Poly1 resale price per point if it’s a new one?

I would of course love the option to book a 2BR at Poly2 but understand my points would not be able to be used there if it’s a new association. If we needed a 2BR instead of two Poly1 studios we’d be fine staying elsewhere if we absolutely had to.

We usually vacation mid November or first week of December, or January. We’d rarely to never visit between April to September, if this makes any difference.

Also, resale vs. direct perks - we don’t care about member events or lounges, don’t care about staying at Riviera - anything else I’m missing? I can’t afford $250/pp to buy Poly direct.

Thanks for any advice as we navigate this!

We are a family of 5, so not quite in the same boat but we bought at Poly because it’s one of our favorite resorts to visit. Even if we aren't staying there we always stop by to grab a dole whip, a drink, or a meal during our WDW visit.

If you are ok with 2 studios I would buy it. I think the points charts are reasonable especially considering location and we really like the layout. It does get crowded at times. We bought a 200 pt contract at the end of Feb for $155/pt and seller paid closing costs. It had 125 pts left for 2022 and a December UY will full points after. We already have 2 upcoming trips one in SEP and one in DEC over Christmas. Good luck.

Family of 6 looking to finally bite the bullet and buy in.
Budget is about $30,000. Thinking 200 points.

We’re probably almost definitely looking at the Poly using the “buy where you want to stay” advice. While we wouldn’t mind staying at BLT, BCV, BWV, getting boxed into SSR or OKW at 7mos would be a big negative for us.

Right now, we’re in a studio since our baby is still under 3, but in another 18 mos we’d be forced into two studios or a 2BR if our entire family heads down.

I know Poly2 association info is up in the air; but if we’re OK with 2 studios at Poly1 as a worst case scenario, would now be the time to buy in resale? I’m assuming once news on Poly2’s association is released, it would mean an increase in Poly1 resale price per point if it’s the same association or a decrease in Poly1 resale price per point if it’s a new one?

I would of course love the option to book a 2BR at Poly2 but understand my points would not be able to be used there if it’s a new association. If we needed a 2BR instead of two Poly1 studios we’d be fine staying elsewhere if we absolutely had to.

We usually vacation mid November or first week of December, or January. We’d rarely to never visit between April to September, if this makes any difference.

Also, resale vs. direct perks - we don’t care about member events or lounges, don’t care about staying at Riviera - anything else I’m missing? I can’t afford $250/pp to buy Poly direct.

Thanks for any advice as we navigate this!
There are a few threads speculating about Poly 2 pricing you might find helpful. Also, not sure 200 pts would be enuf for 2 Studios in Poly 1 for a full week at any time, unless banking/borrowing.

You might want to buy 100 points resale at Poly now and wait and buy 100 at Poly 2 next year.

Poly1 isn't that hard to book off-peak. There are a lot of studios, and they are pricy, so they book last or close to last. You should be able to do this with SSR (assuming you aren't going peak), especially since the budget is a concern. DVC peak isn't exactly Disney peak.

If it doesn't work out one year you go to AKL or something.

While they usually do make connecting studios work, especially for a family it is just a request and not guaranteed.

It would be hard for me to buy PVB knowing I might want the larger rooms and be completely locked out. But, it sounds like you are okay staying in 2 bedrooms elsewhere

The biggest glitch I see is that you are traveling at a very busy time and trading out at 7 months into those larger units may not be as easy as you think.

Have you looked into the current deals to get some direct points at VGF? At least you’d know you would have points good at both PVB and Poly tower at 7 months. Maybe start with just 100…though the incentives are great at 150…and then see what happens with Poly tower in the next 6 months?

I will add, though, thst the price of PVB is really nice right now and people have gotten deals in the 130s, so it could be a perfect time if you really aren’t concerned about access to the tower!

With a young family I would recommend avoiding the 2042 resorts. We are huge fans of the Poly but need 2 bedrooms for our family trips. I am looking to buy resale at Poly2 for succession planning.

If you are looking to pull the trigger soon, I agree with Kanerf only purchase 100 points now and wait until you know the status of Poly2.

As Sandisw noted there have been some great deals at PVB. I have been tempted to jump in for those deals for our empty nester trips. I also agree at least looking at VGF direct but 2 bedrooms there will deplete your points.

Lastly to maximize your purchase Galactic Reversal has setup some great tools to look at different purchase options and assist in making an offer.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dvcrofr-com.3924179/

Good luck!

If it were us, we would buy where we want to stay for those time periods.

To be able to book, mid-Nov through NY day often requires home resort booking window at WDW. Ideally, with DVC a person would be able to plan ahead and book 10-11 months for that time of year. Additional information for you…studios tend to book first, 2 bedroom second, and 1 bedroom last.

If you are ok with PVB even if tower is not part of PVB, it may be wise to offer lower ($130s/pt) for PVB.

We are in the ROFR process for PVB right now. In our case we were in a rush because of trip next year and needed the points so we offered higher. We are good with PVB (love that side be quieter and having easy TTC access for both MK and Epcot). If tower is same association, we see good and bad but know the resort will always be our Ohana destination.

How long after Poly2 goes on sale do you expect the first resale contract to hit the market? How long was it with Riv?

It takes awhile.

The first contract was listed within a few months. However, that turned out to be a resale agent's husband to stir up drama.

I feel like it took at least two years before there was a handful of RIV contracts on the market. Even now, there's not that many compared to other resorts.

After looking into other resorts I’ve read I can buy VGF Direct for maybe $20 per point more than I can get Poly resale at the moment.
In everyone’s opinion, would this be a better bet for our first contract?

I would likely be unable to get a Nov/Dec Poly Studio at 7 months but should be able to in January, correct?

We love the Monorail resorts so would ideally have ONE of them as a home resort - so 150 VGF with incentives (I would do MB and Welcome Home credit if it’s available to new buyers?) or 150 Poly resale for about $3k less but lose out on the direct benefits?

At this very time the direct benefits don’t mean much but I know they’ll affect my family eventually, even if 25 years down the line.

I would likely be unable to get a Nov/Dec Poly Studio at 7 months but should be able to in January, correct?
Probably a true statement for some of Jan, but not all. Early Jan is NY's and the marathon weekend. Mid-Jan is MLK weekend, and can be busier. In between could work, if you have a little flexibility. Personally, we never bought at Poly1 because of the studio-only situation (not counting the bungalows, of course) - not a good match (in our opinion) for a growing family. When you get to the point where you'll need 2 rooms per visit, you might have rooms close together, but you could have them in different buildings, too. We definitely grew into the 1BR and even 2BR need as the family grew, and until Poly2 announces, that's an unknown at Poly. But it's such an amazing resort - understand why you're looking! Good luck with your decision.....

Great advice so far. Look, we love Poly. We don’t own there and try to stay once a year. Needed a 2BR down the road makes my advice skew to other resorts. With two studios, you don’t get the benefits of a laundry, full kitchen and even a living room. And as others said, two adjoining studios are generally not an issue. 2BRs are a great value over a 1BR but they are pricey. You will want to have 11mo booking at those and at 7mo see what else is out there. We have historically always gone in Nov or Dec to WDW. We have not had much luck in moving from BLT. Which has been completely fine with us but it has been amazing how tight inventory is. It sucks you are just out of range from Poly2 at this point. We will probably buy something there. Direct at VGF deals are pretty awesome - especially at the 150-200 point range. If I were just starting and had the cash, it might be hard to pass up (as someone who has generally purchased resale). I would honestly look at the points charts for the resorts and look at how many points you need (with some buffer). You can always add on (and trust me - you will). I would also say habits change as the kids get older and I wish we had a second “Epcot resort” but can’t justify 2042. We also have accumulated enough points at one resort to give us max flexibility there and move around at 7 months if possible. The more points, the more flexibility. Exciting you are buying in and trust me, you won’t regret it. You will regret having not done it sooner.

After looking into other resorts I’ve read I can buy VGF Direct for maybe $20 per point more than I can get Poly resale at the moment.

We love the Monorail resorts so would ideally have ONE of them as a home resort - so 150 VGF with incentives (I would do MB and Welcome Home credit if it’s available to new buyers?) or 150 Poly resale for about $3k less but lose out on the direct benefits?

At this very time the direct benefits don’t mean much but I know they’ll affect my family eventually, even if 25 years down the line.
You have a young family. Providing you are taking care of yourself financially (stacking money as I like to call it) and have that funds and don’t need to finance more than a year at most, it probably makes sense to buy into VGF. We are in our 50’s and almost empty nesters and don’t really like VGF so we bought BWV resale knowing we are in our 70’s in 2042. We like walking to 2 parks and hanging on the boardwalk. So that’s where we bought. When new poly is announced we will see what the deals are and might toss the bwv back, might add on, might not do anything. Good luck.

IMO, it’s definitely something to consider as it will give you access to both PVB and Poly tower, no matter the decision.

And, the resort studios there do connect…but there are also 2 bedrooms….however, if you would be disappointed not staying at PVB, then the savings just may not be worth it in the end.

I still think we are about 4 to 6 months of knowing the decision so keep that in mind!

IMO, it’s definitely something to consider as it will give you access to both PVB and Poly tower, no matter the decision.

And, the resort studios there do connect…but there are also 2 bedrooms….however, if you would be disappointed not staying at PVB, then the savings just may not be worth it in the end.

I still think we are about 4 to 6 months of knowing the decision so keep that in mind!
Thanks so much for your input.
I think we’re looking at buying 150 direct at GFV for the incentives and hopefully adding another 150 at Poly2 if the incentives bring the price sub $200.

Thanks so much for your input.
I think we’re looking at buying 150 direct at GFV for the incentives and hopefully adding another 150 at Poly2 if the incentives bring the price sub $200.
GF is a great resort in November and December with the Christmas decorations.

This forum is such a great wealth of information! I however, did not have the wisdom to join this community prior to my first purchase which was 160 resale pts at PVB. Nothing wrong with PVB, it's our favorite! However, I would have quickly found out (as everyone has suggested here) that I'm not as clever as I thought I was finding the balance of point chart / weather / and Christmas parties and decorations PERFECT in early December :) The ability to use 7month points in that window is extremely difficult, especially if looking for other studios.
However, then the addonitis bug bit me (be on the lookout for it, it bit me before I'd stayed on my first points) and as others have said, you start to get more flexibility with banking/borrowing if/when you gain more home resorts.

I will say, if you do ever get to the point that you are going more than once a year, it doesn't take long for a family of 6 to begin to justify the sorcerer's pass discount. Although typical disclaimer, those direct member benefits are never guaranteed and can be modified/removed at any time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter