Fireworks parties

uandmfan

Mouseketeer
I know there are a lot of opinions out there, but I want more :tongue:.

I've booked the fireworks pre-party at MK for January 31. It will cost over $400 for our group to go. We have one Disney adult but real life child, one child and 3 adults plus an infant.

Is this worth it? Are the desserts good? Is the viewing really that much better than if we go get our own spots? If we go get our own spots, to get a good one how early would we need to be that time of year? We are planning on doing the extended hours for deluxe guests that night as well.

I'm torn between splurging so we can get good seats, and maybe some snacks, but also, it's super expensive and I'm not sure we will feel it's worth it. I know, that's subjective, but we've never done one of these before so I'm interested to know if others thought it was worth it, regretted it, skipped it and did fireworks on their own with regrets/no regrets.

Thank you for any advice!

I have been to 3 dessert parties - so I will offer up what has happened to me personally...

The only time I deemed the party to be "worth it" was when I took my Mother who hadn't been to Magic Kingdom in decades. She happens to be in a wheel chair and seeing her tear up at the firework show is something I will never forget. She also celebrated her birthday and the entire room sang to her! She was very happy and so was I. :)

We did have an unfortunate experience in the Plaza Garden where a Mom yelled at me so her kids could see. She said "You don't have kids do you?" Let my kids up here to see. I ended up getting sick from her coughing kid in my face. LOL.

It is expensive - so all I can say is - if you have family or you - yourself don't do so great in crowds it may be "worth it" from that perspective. Or if they have never seen the firework show or don't go very often. Most of the desserts are a bit underwhelming but you are primarly there for the view. Hope this helps. :confused3

We have done the pre-party three times.

The money, for us, is well worth it to be able to watch the fireworks in a very non crowded area without having to stake out a spot well in advance.

While I believe Disney Table Service does a great job with desserts, their mass produced, 'party' type offerings leave a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

The warm poured beer sitting out did nothing for me, and I probably took a tiny plate of a couple desserts and did not eat more than 2 bites of anything, except I did eat a couple chocolate covered strawberries.

Pro: Fireworks watching area.
Con: Desserts & drinks.

Worth it: For us, yes.

We have some family members (including myself!) that have a bit of claustrophobia, so we do the parties if we are staying for fireworks. It just gives you a little more space and saves on wait time (though I would still recommend getting to the garden on the early side). We actually prefer the post-party - you can get to the garden earlier (you go there instead of eating desserts first) and then eat your desserts as the massive crowds are leaving the park. Worth is subjective - if you don't mind crowds and finding spots early, then you can probably pass on the party.

We actually prefer the post-party - you can get to the garden earlier (you go there instead of eating desserts first) and then eat your desserts as the massive crowds are leaving the park.

I have consciously avoided the post party because I know me, and I know I'd most likely leave after the fireworks without even going to the party.

I've done three MK dessert parties over the years 2012, 2018, and 2022 (the last one was a post-fireworks party). They've always been our last night splurge. Last summer (2023) we went on a trip with less splurges (since we had been the previous year) but DH and DS had never seen HEA and we all really wanted to see it. We didn't do the party, staked a spot out in front of the castle instead. My husband and kids have actually said they will never stand on Main Street for the fireworks again after that experience, it was just too uncomfortable being crammed in there 2 inches from another person constantly trying to move to see the projections (did I mention I held my almost 8 year old the entire show so he could see?). So my opinion is- if it's not a major budget buster, we totally find it worth the expense.

We've done pre and post and I actually preferred the post party since we could sit and eat while the masses cleared (and still had time for a few rides afterwards) but both were worth it for us.

Thanks! A post-party isn't really an option for us. The show is at 8 pm and the park closes at 9, with extra hours for deluxe guests starting at 9, which we really want to take advantage of. So unless I'm missing something (which is possible) we are better off with the pre-party, right? Otherwise we will feel too rushed to grab some treats and run out.

Thanks! A post-party isn't really an option for us. The show is at 8 pm and the park closes at 9, with extra hours for deluxe guests starting at 9, which we really want to take advantage of. So unless I'm missing something (which is possible) we are better off with the pre-party, right? Otherwise we will feel too rushed to grab some treats and run out.
Well, we deliberately did the post party on a night with the extra hours for deluxe guests. We relaxed and enjoyed our treats then headed to hit some rides. You have to remember that the first 30 mins or so of the bonus time the lines will still be long because they are filled with the day guests who quickly get in the line right before it closes to them. We felt it was worth it.

We've done the Garden Party several times with a large group and find it worth it. We are past the stage of wanting to stake out a spot or be in the massive crowd so we pay to stay out of it. The desserts are just a bonus. We definitely don't eat our money's worth, but love it for the location. We also love just staying in the grassy area until the mass of crowds are mostly gone. We just hang out, people watch and enjoy the atomosphere.

Well, we deliberately did the post party on a night with the extra hours for deluxe guests. We relaxed and enjoyed our treats then headed to hit some rides. You have to remember that the first 30 mins or so of the bonus time the lines will still be long because they are filled with the day guests who quickly get in the line right before it closes to them. We felt it was worth it.
You are making this more complicated for us 😂

The fireworks are about 18 minutes long, so, by going to the post-party, you have a chance to sit, relax, have treats and beverages for over 30 minutes while the hordes who aren't staying for extra hours try to get down Main St. I can't emphasize enough how bad the crowds are trying to get out of the Hub area to go anywhere when the fireworks ends. And, as PP noted, before 9, you will contend with non-deluxe guests lining up to try to get that last ride in before 9 pm hits. Personally, I feel rushed during the pre-party as I'm trying to get to the garden as soon as possible to get a good viewing spot. I felt like I had more time to enjoy the snacks during the after-party.

Do you avoid a crush with the post party? I guess I don't understand how you get from in front of the castle to the restaurant quickly.......

This info is making the choice so much harder! Lol

Do you avoid a crush with the post party? I guess I don't understand how you get from in front of the castle to the restaurant quickly.......

This info is making the choice so much harder! Lol

The garden viewing area for the fireworks is right in front of the outdoor seating for Plaza Ice Cream, so you aren't in front of the castle - you are just across the path from the area where you will access the dessert party. CMs will be there to help keep the path clear so you can cross quickly. You just cross, go up a ramp and you are at the dessert party at Tomorrowland Terrace.

The garden viewing area for the fireworks is right in front of the outdoor seating for Plaza Ice Cream, so you aren't in front of the castle - you are just across the path from the area where you will access the dessert party. CMs will be there to help keep the path clear so you can cross quickly. You just cross, go up a ramp and you are at the dessert party at Tomorrowland Terrace.
So maybe a dumb question, but is that a great viewing spot? I assume so given the price.....but want to make sure I know what I'm getting into! It seems great from the map....

So maybe a dumb question, but is that a great viewing spot? I assume so given the price.....but want to make sure I know what I'm getting into! It seems great from the map....
It's a good viewing spot. There are a couple of light poles between the viewing area and the castle, but, they aren't much of an issue.

You can see a light pole with a banner on it in this pic,,,,

lightpole.JPG

I reluctantly snagged a pre-party just last week for our family and while the cost was ridiculous, it was ultimately worth it.

We are AP's who never ever ever ever bother with Main St fireworks because of the scary crowd situation. But we were moving from FL and our weekly WDW trips were coming to an end. This was our last hoorah trip before moving. I desperately wanted to see HEA one last time AND it was party season. Fireworks crowds are next level during party season when day guests only have 3-4 opportunities a week to see it.

I wanted post-party, but couldn't get it. Ended up fine, really. We arrived 90 minutes prior and did not feel rushed to get to the garden because we simply can't eat and drink that long with a 4 year old. The food was fine but not expansive in offerings or high quality so we were easily done in 30-45 minutes with taking our time.

The grassy area seems crowded when you arrive (esp if you arrive closer to the fireworks) but it's because everyone is lounging around. Once everyone stands, there is PLENTY of space. I had no one within 10 feet of me on any side. People like to scrunch at the front :confused3

And the biggest perk.... the CM in the space doesn't let kids sit on shoulders. Hooray! Which meant everyone could see, even my 4 year old.

The view is great!

So there’s no fighting a crowd to get to the post-party area after fireworks?

Can pre-party people hang out in the area while Main Street clears out?

I keep going back and forth on Seats and Sweets and pre/post party. I know we have to do a party. My husband is a combat vet. The fireworks done bother him but that crowd is a no go.

Does the garden viewing area still feel like you’re in the middle of that massive crowd?

We have never seen fireworks and I really want to. We are going to catch them in Fantastland one night but my youngest wants to see Tinkerbell fly and I think it would be nice to see the whole show.

Seats and Sweets pros: no crowd at all, Tink will fly right to us

Seats and Sweets cons: not as good view, can’t see projection part much, can’t choose table so we might end up in the middle when he does better around the edges without people on all sides

The more I read the more I don’t know. I had decided on Seats and Sweets just to remove the crowd completely but if it’s the only time we are ever going to properly see the fireworks (probably ever not just this trip), I’m worried we’d be disappointed.

Any recommendations? Kids 6, 12, and 14. Thank you.

So there’s no fighting a crowd to get to the post-party area after fireworks?

Can pre-party people hang out in the area while Main Street clears out?

I keep going back and forth on Seats and Sweets and pre/post party. I know we have to do a party. My husband is a combat vet. The fireworks done bother him but that crowd is a no go.

Does the garden viewing area still feel like you’re in the middle of that massive crowd?

We have never seen fireworks and I really want to. We are going to catch them in Fantastland one night but my youngest wants to see Tinkerbell fly and I think it would be nice to see the whole show.

Seats and Sweets pros: no crowd at all, Tink will fly right to us

Seats and Sweets cons: not as good view, can’t see projection part much, can’t choose table so we might end up in the middle when he does better around the edges without people on all sides

The more I read the more I don’t know. I had decided on Seats and Sweets just to remove the crowd completely but if it’s the only time we are ever going to properly see the fireworks (probably ever not just this trip), I’m worried we’d be disappointed.

Any recommendations? Kids 6, 12, and 14. Thank you.

When we did the post-party, CMs with light sticks helped clear the path so we could very easily get from the garden to the terrace for the dessert portion of the event.

Yes, pre-party guests can hang out in the garden while Main St. clears out - we always do this if we do a pre-party. The crowds heading out after the fireworks are really, really bad.

The garden viewing area does feel a bit crowded, IMHO, but certainly not as crowded as the hub will feel. If your husband has difficulty with crowds, I would probably opt for the post-party. You may want to try to arrive early and explain your husband's needs to the CM hosts to see if they can get you a table near the railing.

I've done the seated party twice and, while the view is a bit on an angle, I was never disappointed. It is a nice respite from the crowds.

Just a word of caution, there is zero guarantee Tink will fly on any given night. It really depends on weather conditions and Tink has the final say as to whether she is flying or not. I would pick the party that is going to work best for your family and consider Tink a bonus.

Yes, pre-party guests can hang out in the garden while Main St. clears out - we always do this if we do a pre-party. The crowds heading out after the fireworks are really, really bad.

Thank you for this!! I booked a last minute trip for NYE and somehow the Gods were smiling on me and I snagged a MK pre-party reservation for 12/31. I probably would have skipped them and the crowds if I couldn't get one. I was concerned the massive crowds would converge on the reserved area as soon as the fireworks ended; this will be great if I can actually stay there and wait out the exodus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter