Fireworks from California Grill or MK?

epcotobsessed

DIS Veteran
We have an 8pm reservation at CG on Friday and are trying to decide between keeping it and watching the fireworks from MK itself (we were going to go to AK that day, hence the CG reservation, but our plans changed). We have never seen the fireworks from CG but we also haven’t seen the new(ish) fireworks show in MK itself. Friday will be our only day in MK - which would you choose?

We have an 8pm reservation at CG on Friday and are trying to decide between keeping it and watching the fireworks from MK itself (we were going to go to AK that day, hence the CG reservation, but our plans changed). We have never seen the fireworks from CG but we also haven’t seen the new(ish) fireworks show in MK itself. Friday will be our only day in MK - which would you choose?
Read through this Thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/fireworks-at-mk-calofornia-grill-vs-ground.3841788/
My Post begins:
This is gonna' be a 'what ever is right for you & your family' response.

They are both very good and totally different experiences.
If seeing the projections on the castle are important to you, see them from the park. Not sure what the new fireworks will be, but HEA was very heavy on castle projections.
If you don't care about the projections, I would enjoy your meal at CG and watch the fireworks from there. The fireworks look a little different from CG as you are seeing them from an angle instead of straight on from Main Street, but still very good. The staff are very good about pacing your meal around the fireworks.

As much as I love California Grill and the convenience and unique view of watching the fireworks from the observation area there, if you haven't seen Happily Ever After before I highly suggest watching it in the Magic Kingdom. The projections and fireworks make a magnificent show.

I 100% agree with the above! I love Cali Grill but Happily Ever After is my favorite nighttime spectacular from any park in the world (and I’ve been to all of them, lol) so I would absolutely choose to experience the whole thing!

Good advice in here. I'm a Wishes person and don't really care much about seeing the castle projections for HEA, so for me California Grill would be fine. But I've seen HEA up close many times, so it's not a totally fair comparison. So personally I would choose Cali Grill in your situation. I also am not a fan of fighting my way through Disney fireworks (or parade) crowds (and that goes double in Covid times). So even when I do the fireworks in park, it's from the VIP seating area. So if you haven't seen them up close and you really want the most immersive experience "among the people" in the park, then definitely do that on Main Street or in the hub to get somewhat of a castle view (baring in mind other guests with kids on shoulders and so on). If you just want to appreciate the music and the aerial show of HEA more than anything else, the California Grill option will do the trick.

I am the firm believer that the firework experience is always better OUTSIDE of the park then inside of the park. You just concentrate on the music and the wonderful firework show. I don't care for the projections. BUT, I always make it to watch it once from the park each vacation

I would personally do the fireworks in the park. The projections are really important for HEA and if you haven’t seen them, it is absolutely a must do in my opinion! Fireworks from CG are lovely but it feels more like regular fireworks than having that extra Disney magic that you experience in the Hub at MK. I did a dessert party and CG dinner on back to back nights and the CG viewing was a big letdown after the in-park experience.

I would pick MK over CG any day. I think CG is overrated and was never impressed so don't see myself ever going back.

Just returned from WDW with two first timers. Both said fireworks inside the park were far more impressive than from afar even though we had the music etc. Two nights we were in park and one night at the GF. We often stay at CR. I much perfer "fighting" the crowd and being in the park. DH is fine with seeing them from the balcony as there is no crowd. People are different. :worship:

With HEA, you should be in the park the first time you see it. Whether you are a fan of projections or not, they are an integral part of the show. Second, third.... or hundredth time, CG is fine.

mac_tlc

In the park is better but harder to leave afterwards. Watching from CG is not as 'good', but more relaxing and convenient.

We've seen the fireworks many times inside the park, several times from TOTWL, and a couple of times from CG.

TOTWL and CG do not even begin to compare for the experience as inside the park.

If the fireworks show is important to you and your family, inside MK is much better...it's not even close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter